PDA

View Full Version : Alton Brown...

Turd_Ferguson
5/26/2009, 08:09 PM
boy's a genius.

KC//CRIMSON
5/26/2009, 10:01 PM
boy's a genius.

He may be a culinary genius, but he's annoying as *uck.

Ike
5/27/2009, 12:16 AM
He may be a culinary genius, but he's annoying as *uck.

^^^^

TUSooner
5/27/2009, 08:28 AM
I like his show(s). Yes, he makes cooking the simplest thing seem way more difficult that one could imagine, and he's nerdy. But he's harmless and otherwise informative and entertaining.

ADs_Agent
5/27/2009, 08:43 AM
I watch 'Good Eats' religiously. Have seen every episode and TiVo it. The guy is a major nerd, but knows his way around a kitchen and I've learned quite a bit from it.

SoonerJack
5/27/2009, 08:57 AM
love the combination of Bill Nye, Julia Childs, and that guy from Connections. About the only show I like on the food network.

Mixer!
5/27/2009, 09:05 AM
and that guy from Connections.
James Burke.

TUSooner
5/27/2009, 09:08 AM
love the combination of Bill Nye, Julia Childs, and that guy from Connections. About the only show I like on the food network.

It took me awhile to get that :O but .. yeah, that's kinda what he is.

crawfish
5/27/2009, 09:58 AM
Alton Brown is awesome. I love his show. Much better than the normal "cook, eat, mmmm mmmm" stuff on every other cooking show.

BornandBred
5/27/2009, 10:31 AM
He teaches like an engineer, explaining polymer chains and the REASON yeast rises. I like that.

SoonerJack
5/27/2009, 10:54 AM
He teaches like an engineer, explaining polymer chains and the REASON yeast rises. I like that.

Exactly! Like my mom used to say, "there's a reason you can't substitute a cup of sugar for a cup of flour. Just because they're both white doesn't cut it."

Scott D
5/27/2009, 11:00 AM
he's a pretty good host for iron chef america.

KC//CRIMSON
5/27/2009, 12:00 PM
Every time I hear his voice I wanna stick my face into a Cuisinart.

olevetonahill
5/27/2009, 12:06 PM
Every time I hear his voice I wanna stick my face into a Cuisinart.

I like stickin My face in ...... Oh wait you dint say what i thot ya said :O

silverwheels
5/27/2009, 02:49 PM
Also a huge Good Eats fan here. As far as the actual cooking programs that Food Network still shows, GE is by far the best.

KC//CRIMSON
5/27/2009, 03:05 PM
Also a huge Good Eats fan here. As far as the actual cooking programs that Food Network still shows, GE is by far the best.

Guy Fieri's Big Bite and Tyler Florence's Ultimate are way better.

Learning thirty different ways to cook celery just doesn't do it for me.

BornandBred
5/27/2009, 03:12 PM
Guy Fieri the 45 y/o blonde dude that thinks he's hip with his spiked hair? The same one that does the applebee's commercials? If that's him, I'd like hit him in the face. In either case, I'd like to hit that applebee's dude in the face.

KC//CRIMSON
5/27/2009, 03:15 PM
Guy Fieri the 45 y/o blonde dude that thinks he's hip with his spiked hair? The same one that does the applebee's commercials? If that's him, I'd like hit him in the face. In either case, I'd like to hit that applebee's dude in the face.

Why? Did he sleep with your wife?

Turd_Ferguson
5/27/2009, 03:16 PM
Why? Did he sleep with your wife?no, he caught him pork'n your dad.........when were your born?

KC//CRIMSON
5/27/2009, 03:18 PM
no, he caught him pork'n your dad.........when were your born?

my dad is no longer living, but thanks for playing, weirdo.

BornandBred
5/27/2009, 03:19 PM
Why? Did he sleep with your wife?

Spikey hair'd dbags torn between emo and backstreet boy style, ESPECIALLY if they are old, make want to hit them. It's a general rule I have.

Scott D
5/27/2009, 03:19 PM

Tyler Florence did a handful of Applebee's commercials, Guy Fieri has done a few TGIFriday's commercials.

Also on his show Diners, Drive-Ins, & Dives he's had more than a few restaurants in Oklahoma showcased.

BornandBred
5/27/2009, 03:21 PM
Tyler Florence did a handful of Applebee's commercials, Guy Fieri has done a few TGIFriday's commercials.

Also on his show Diners, Drive-Ins, & Dives he's had more than a few restaurants in Oklahoma showcased.

Just did the Diner. My sister in law is best friends with the woman they interviewed there and she 'happened' to be there that day.

BornandBred
5/27/2009, 03:23 PM

Tyler that dude that looks a little like Bobby Flay? I think I used to get them mixed up, until I ate at Flay's Mesa Grill. It was awesome, by the way.

KC//CRIMSON
5/27/2009, 03:23 PM
Spikey hair'd dbags torn between emo and backstreet boy style, ESPECIALLY if they are old, make want to hit them. It's a general rule I have.

I see, it has nothing to do with his culinary skills. Okay.

BornandBred
5/27/2009, 03:25 PM
I see, it has nothing to do with his culinary skills. Okay.

No, he may be a great cook. But he's on TV, I'm jealous, so I have to find fault.

Scott D
5/27/2009, 03:25 PM
Tyler that dude that looks a little like Bobby Flay? I think I used to get them mixed up, until I ate at Flay's Mesa Grill. It was awesome, by the way.

Nah, Tyler Florence is dark haired and relatively low key. Flay's pretty obvious in being New York Irish.

KC//CRIMSON
5/27/2009, 03:41 PM
Supposedly, Mario Batali and Anthony Bourdain are working on a cooking show filmed exclusively in Italy.

Now THAT would be a cooking show worth watching.

BornandBred
5/27/2009, 03:43 PM
Anthony Bourdain is an *******. I like it. His show on the travel channel is pretty good. I also like Andrew Zimmern, but some of the crap he eats...

NormanPride
5/27/2009, 03:43 PM
Florence is a bit too pretentious for me, but he cooks good stuff and is personable. I like his shows.

Guy Fieri looks like Dean would look if he grew a vagina. I liked Alton Brown's "Feasting on Asphalt" better than "Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives", but "Big Bite" is pretty neat.

Alton Brown is awesome. Science + food + nerd = what I want to be. I want a giant fridge with a chalkboard on it!

Scott D
5/27/2009, 03:44 PM
Why does that make me think of the episode of No Reservations where Bourdain went to the Batali family restaurant.

silverwheels
Guy Fieri's Big Bite and Tyler Florence's Ultimate are way better.

Nope. You just think that because you think Alton is annoying. I'd much rather watch Good Eats and learn something and be entertained (even with nerd humor) than watch Guy make the same stuff over and over or watch Tyler make something new for crApplebee's.

Scott D
Florence is a bit too pretentious for me, but he cooks good stuff and is personable. I like his shows.

Guy Fieri looks like Dean would look if he grew a vagina. I liked Alton Brown's "Feasting on Asphalt" better than "Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives", but "Big Bite" is pretty neat.

Alton Brown is awesome. Science + food + nerd = what I want to be. I want a giant fridge with a chalkboard on it!

you got the nerd part down ;)

NormanPride
5/27/2009, 03:47 PM
I've been practicing. :P

SoonerJack
5/27/2009, 03:48 PM
Good gravy you people like to argue.

BornandBred
5/27/2009, 03:54 PM
Good gravy you people like to argue.

No we don't.

TUSooner
5/27/2009, 03:56 PM
***I'd much rather watch Good Eats and learn something and be entertained (even with nerd humor) than watch Guy make the same stuff over and over or watch Tyler make something new for crApplebee's.

Heh. I'd rather watch Alton, too: he knows more words than Tyler Florence, who seems to be stuck on "incredible." The flavors, the texture, whatever - it's all "incredible." (OK, Tyler, I DON'T believe you!) Tyler's story is pretty interesting, though. Seems he was headed to reform school or worse before discovering cooking.

As for Guy Fi-edddd-i. I haven't seen him cook, but I'd kill most of y'all without remorse for some of the food he gets on "Diners, Drive-ins & Dives." That show gives me a food-on. :eek:

KC//CRIMSON
5/27/2009, 03:56 PM
Nope. You just think that because you think Alton is annoying. I'd much rather watch Good Eats and learn something and be entertained (even with nerd humor) than watch Guy make the same stuff over and over or watch Tyler make something new for crApplebee's.

Guy never makes the same stuff over and you would never find anything Tyler makes on an Applebee's menu.

To each his own, but watching thirty minutes on the yucca root is boring to me.

NormanPride
5/27/2009, 04:00 PM
That's because you're not a smart people, like me.

;)

silverwheels
5/27/2009, 04:01 PM
Uh, I'm pretty sure Tyler Florence either came up with or at least promoted items on the menu at crApplebee's.

And a show with Bourdain and Batali would be awesome.

Also, Guy has the best job in the world on Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives. He gets paid to go around and eat at random places across the country. Damn, I want to do that!

Turd_Ferguson
5/27/2009, 04:02 PM
Guy never makes the same stuff over and you would never find anything Tyler makes on an Applebee's menu.

To each his own, but watching thirty minutes on the yucca root is boring to me.You like the Barefoot Contessa.....don't lie.

silverwheels
5/27/2009, 04:07 PM
You like the Barefoot Contessa.....don't lie.

Haha. She seems like a nice lady and all, but yawn...even KC//Crimson has to admit that she's more boring than Good eats.

TUSooner
I think of all the TV chefs, I'd like to have Mario Batali cook for me. He kicks everybody's azs on Iron Chef.
But some of the Top Chef contestants seem interesting. I met four of them last week -- for 2 minutes, and I didn't get any of their food. They were nice, though. Leah looks really good in person, and Jamie is very cute, too.

KC//CRIMSON
Uh, I'm pretty sure Tyler Florence either came up with or at least promoted items on the menu at crApplebee's.

And a show with Bourdain and Batali would be awesome.

Also, Guy has the best job in the world on Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives. He gets paid to go around and eat and random places across the country. Damn, I want to do that!

He did, but that's not what he cooks on his show. You won't find Braised Lamb on a Applebee's menu.

Turd_Ferguson
5/27/2009, 04:11 PM
I think of all the TV chefs, I'd like to have Mario Batali cook for me. He kicks everybody's azs on Iron Chef.
But some of the Top Chef contestants seem interesting. I met four of them last week -- for 2 minutes, and I didn't get any of their food. They were nice, though. Leah looks really good in person, and Jamie is very cute, too.food aside, I'd have to have Giada

http://img.foodnetwork.com/FOOD/2008/08/28/GP-Capri-010_s3x4_lg.jpg

soonerinabilene
5/27/2009, 04:12 PM
He did, but that's not what he cooks on his show. You won't find Braised Lamb on a Applebee's menu.

and if you do, avoid it like the plague. Unless you like lobster from LJS, then it may be just the thing for you.

soonerinabilene
5/27/2009, 04:16 PM

I would go with Anthony Bourdain. Or that old guy from the Frugal Gourmet, just cause I remember watching him as a kid on PBS.

KC//CRIMSON
Haha. She seems like a nice lady and all, but yawn...even KC//Crimson has to admit that she's more boring than Good eats.

Cooking Show Throwdown!

Barefoot And Boring Contessa vs Alton Brown's Cooking With The Anal Retentive

BornandBred
Man vs. Food, check it out.

KC//CRIMSON
5/27/2009, 04:22 PM
I wonder if Alton Brown watches this and laughs or not...

http://www.hulu.com/watch/4101/saturday-night-live-cooking-with-the-anal-rententive-chef

TUSooner
5/27/2009, 04:25 PM
food aside, I'd have to have Giada
http://img.foodnetwork.com/FOOD/2008/08/28/GP-Capri-010_s3x4_lg.jpg

Word. She'd make me forget about food....for a little while, anyway.

TUSooner
5/27/2009, 04:31 PM
I wonder if Alton Brown watches this and laughs or not...

http://www.hulu.com/watch/4101/saturday-night-live-cooking-with-the-anal-rententive-chef

I'd never seen that. It made me laugh. He is "Altonish."

TUSooner
5/27/2009, 04:36 PM
I kinda like Homey's gal, too, the voluptuous Ms. Lawson.
http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/4137/nigellarex1909468x756.jpg (http://img12.imageshack.us/my.php?image=nigellarex1909468x756.jpg)

NormanPride
5/27/2009, 05:00 PM
But some of the Top Chef contestants seem interesting. I met four of them last week -- for 2 minutes, and I didn't get any of their food. They were nice, though. Leah looks really good in person, and Jamie is very cute, too.

Lucky bastard. I heard Top Chef really misrepresented Leah a lot... They did a good job of making me hate her that season, but I've heard she's not like that.

Turd_Ferguson
5/27/2009, 05:18 PM
Man vs. Food, check it out.werd. Although, they should have a really huge fat bastard, say like Crucifax, to attempt all of those challenges.:D

KC//CRIMSON
5/27/2009, 08:19 PM
What? No props for Arron McCargo Jr? Big Daddy will not be happy.

TUSooner
5/28/2009, 08:07 AM
Lucky bastard. I heard Top Chef really misrepresented Leah a lot... They did a good job of making me hate her that season, but I've heard she's not like that.

Ubernerd confession: We have 3-team Fantasy Top Chef competition in our office. My team (well, my daughter picked it) is the Steamin Wienies, and we've won both years we've had the contest. The really smart guy that thought up the league made a trophy out of a Top Chef wisk.

So we took the trophy down to the "soiree" (honest, they called it a "soiree") at the W hotel for Hosea, Leah, Jamie, and Jeff. There were a lot of too-cool-for-you posers, and alcohol was freely consumed. But the TCs were nice and not-at-all stuck up, and they seemed happy to sign our little trophy for us. I think they thought it was kinda clever and flattering, in a nice, geekish way. Our female FTC competitor couldn't make it, so we got a pic of Jeff for her. My smart friend took a picture of Leah & me, but it's truly awful and unflattering, because he took it with a cel-phone and it was very dark in the room. (Plus, whan Leah leaned her head against my chest I turned into a total goof -- even more than usual, I mean. :O ) I offered the very-cute Jamie a compliment of dubious propriety before being led away by my smart friend. Nonetheless, it was fun.

My smart friend also made it to a tasting the next day, featuring the TCs. He said their food was the best because they did things that were out of the league of most "New Orleans" chefs. I thknk he said Jeff's wasespecially good. I wish I could have gone, but I was with my daughter's soccer team for the annual humilation by our nemesis at State Cup. Uhh, I guess that's all I got. But I think it once again proves that I am somehow a better person than you. :D :rolleyes: