PDA

View Full Version : NCAA informs Ole Miss/Houston Nutt of possible violations...

OU-HSV
5/26/2009, 04:05 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4201673

Coaches' comments possible violations

The NCAA has informed Ole Miss of possible NCAA rules violations stemming from comments Houston Nutt made in a pre-signing day Internet article about prospects who ended up signing with the Rebels.

The Jackson Clarion-Ledger first reported the story after obtaining a letter from the NCAA to Ole Miss.

NCAA rules prohibit coaches or any athletic department employees from commenting about a recruit's ability or the type of impact that recruit could make at a certain school.

Ole Miss, following its own internal investigation, responded in a letter to the SEC earlier this month that a Level II secondary violation did occur as a result of the comments Nutt and other Ole Miss assistants made in the Rivals.com story, which was posted on Jan. 28. Signing day this year was on Feb. 4.

The Rivals.com story and possible violations were brought to the attention of the NCAA by an outside party that was not identified in the NCAA's letter, according to the Clarion-Ledger.

"Rules are rules," Nutt told the Clarion-Ledger. "The difficult thing is I didn't think we were doing anything wrong. But the good thing is we won't make the same mistake again."

Although neither Nutt nor his assistants mentioned recruits by name in the Rivals.com story, they talked in detail about the recruits' ability, and coupled with other information in the story about where the recruits were from, it was pretty easy to tell which players they were talking about.

In Ole Miss' internal investigation, it found that "while the article did not mention any prospect by name, it did provide other information which could identify the prospect. The institution concluded that this constituted a violation."

Oh boy...Nutt is already feeling the heat and he's only been there one season.
This sure looks like another stupid finding/rule by the NCAA.
Could turn into nothing, or something. Who knows.

MamaMia
5/26/2009, 04:08 PM
Did they ever do anything to USC?

OU-HSV
5/26/2009, 04:11 PM
Did they ever do anything to USC?

Not since I was reading something on here about usc a few weeks ago. Funny how that works isn't it?

sooner94
5/26/2009, 04:26 PM
I would hope any penalty would be minor. There are a lot of more serious violations the NCAA can be going after at other schools.

JLEW1818
5/26/2009, 04:40 PM
So does this mean Florida was really undefeated last year?

ha

Mad Dog Madsen
5/26/2009, 04:42 PM
So does this mean Florida was really undefeated last year?

ha

YES :D

SoonerInFortSmith
5/26/2009, 11:17 PM
Another reason Nutt sux. He's been an SEC coach for years. He should know better.

badger
5/27/2009, 07:29 AM
Another reason Nutt sux. He's been an SEC coach for years. He should know better.

The longer you're in the SEC, the more you have to cheat to not lose your job.I would have to say that based on the way the coaching doors have been revolving for teams that have no chance of staying competitive for national championships year in, year out (you could say that about every team, actually), all SEC fans actually think it is possible for them all to win every year... which is why the Big 12 and Ohio State send teams virtually every year to that game, whereas the SEC gets bonked occasionally.

SoonerAtKU
5/27/2009, 09:07 AM
I'd say this is one of the stupider "violations" i've seen in a while. I get the importance of not mentioning kids by name while recruiting, but let's not get out of hand. Let's just hope this is truly the NCAA saying "hey this could be a gray area, best stay away from it in the future".

goingoneight
5/30/2009, 11:44 AM
Nutt in a pinch. :eek: