PDA

View Full Version : Football & War

SteelClip49
5/26/2009, 03:18 PM
I know back in WW1 and WW2 there were service teams like Iowa Pre-Flight, Great Lakes NTC, Norman NAS, Del Monte Pre-Flight, March Field, Bainbridge NTC, Randolph Field, 2nd Air Force, 4th Air Force, El Toro, Fort Pierce, St. Mary's Pre-Flight. All these stations fielded teams during the war and competed against regular schools.

Is there a reason why it can't be done today? Or is it just not something that can be done in today's world for whatever reason?

I know this should be posted on the football board but I expect answers to be along the lines of something both football and politics, war, etc. stuff found on the South Oval.

I have always wondered what it would be like to play an opponent like that. It certainly wouldn't hurt scheduling strength, IMO. Hell, in 1943 Iowa Pre-Flight finished #2 in the AP and almost won the national title for a team fielded for less than 4 years.

yermom
5/26/2009, 03:23 PM
i don't think they can recruit all that well...

Sooner04
5/26/2009, 03:24 PM
Hell, in 1943 Iowa Pre-Flight finished #2 in the AP and almost won the national title for a team fielded for less than 4 years.
Iowa Pre-Flight's head coach in 1943? Don Faurot.

His head assistant? Charles Burnham Wilkinson.

TUSooner
5/26/2009, 03:29 PM
Those schools didn't have to recruit; they had the draft.