PDA

View Full Version : Overlooked play in the MNCG that could of been pivotal.

SoonerShay
5/26/2009, 02:46 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhhXm0qxxaA

When we had 1st and goal after the 2nd interception by GK McCoy. Brandon Spikes,who was getting abused by Trent Williams all night, got punked and retaliates by throwing a punch right in front of the umpire.

Of course nothing gets called, it's third and goal and we eventually get stuffed on 4th and goal. If just this play was called properly, I think this would of been an entirely different game altogether.

OU_Sooners75
5/26/2009, 05:29 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhhXm0qxxaA

When we had 2nd and goal after the 2nd interception by GK McCoy. Brandon Spikes,who was getting abused by Trent Williams all night, got punked and retaliates by throwing a punch right in front of the umpire.

Of course nothing gets called, it's third and goal and we eventually get stuffed on 4th and goal. If just this play was called properly, I think this would of been an entirely different game altogether.

So you do not have to click the link....

JhhXm0qxxaA

OU_Sooners75
5/26/2009, 05:31 AM
But to comment on your post.

That is not exactly pivotal at all!

In fact, you pointing it out is flat out lame!

That type of crap always happens.

The ref got in there, broke it up...and I am pretty sure warned Spikes.

had it happened again..then maybe you can start bitching...but it didnt...so stop whining already.

There were plenty of things the did not go right for us that were more pivotal than this.

NCSooner18
5/26/2009, 09:46 AM
Looks to me like Spikes is reacting to Williams taking a cheap shot at his head while he is on the ground.

BornandBred
5/26/2009, 09:49 AM
Williams took no cheap shot. Fat boy fell. If he was taking a swing/elbow drop at Spikes, I think he would have been ready for retaliation. As it appears to me, Spikes felt he was being attacked and went after Williams. I like the no-call. Let them play.

Eielson
5/26/2009, 10:21 AM
I don't think that the geting in eachother's face should be called, but I don't think that throwing an open handed punch should go unnoticed. Although I'm not saying it should have happened, it would be justifiable to have him kicked out of the game.

Regardless, this thread shouldn't have been made.

olevetonahill
5/26/2009, 10:45 AM
WE lost
GADOCADWI :rolleyes:

SoonerShay
5/26/2009, 10:52 AM

had it happened again..then maybe you can start bitching...but it didnt...so stop whining already.

There were plenty of things the did not go right for us that were more pivotal than this.

Why is me pointing it out lame? Because it happens all the time? Since when do people get to throw punches in football games and nothing is supposed to happen?

I said could of been pivotal, seeing as how there was no penalty, I have no idea what may of happened if it was called. How is having 1st and goal at the 4.5 yard line not a big deal, in a game we lost by 10 points?

What's the point in telling me to stop whining? You stop posting in my thread.....O I can't actually make you stop doing that can I? I guess I just have to either deal with it or ignore you.

NormanPride
5/26/2009, 11:07 AM
Without a doubt the refs let the kids play, and Florida took full advantage. If the safety gets flagged for the hit on Manny on that fade, the whole game is different.

But that's not how the game was called, and we lost. GADOCADWI.

soonerhubs
5/26/2009, 11:21 AM
I personally find that some of the ways I deal with things, are to post them in threads and vent with fellow soonerfans. I can't find my deck of cards. They were lost in the move. :( ;)

rainiersooner
5/26/2009, 12:08 PM
I, for one, sometimes enjoy rehashing such things. If I don't feel like it, I don't click on the post.

SoonerLB
5/26/2009, 12:25 PM
WARNING! Living in the past is the reason for the existence of the Taliban, just sayin'..............

OUAlumni1990
5/26/2009, 01:14 PM
1) When OU plays, the other team always gets the benefit of the doubt,we must accept this.
2) There is nothing we can do about it.
3) Instead, we must play to overcome.

Once we accept this, peace will be with us...

goingoneight
5/26/2009, 01:30 PM
What about the KOR where UF fielded it OOB? We could play this game all day.

The reason we lost wasn't officiating. In any game, making those calls might influence the outcome, but it doesn't decide it when you lose by two possessions.

SoonerShay
5/26/2009, 01:49 PM
What about the KOR where UF fielded it OOB? We could play this game all day.

The reason we lost wasn't officiating. In any game, making those calls might influence the outcome, but it doesn't decide it when you lose by two possessions.

I didn't notice the play you speak of, where was it at in the game?

I don't think we lost because of officiating but it definitely had an affect on the game. Changing a 1st and goal from the 9 to a 1st and goal from the 2 is a big difference I think. A score there makes it a 1 possession game and therefore a different one.

Remember in 2007 when we stopped Miami on the goalline over and over and officiating finally got them a touchdown? If that happened at the 30 on their side of the field who cares, but it happened in the redzone.

General Applewhite
5/26/2009, 03:33 PM
Excuses, excuses, excuses........and another BCS loss.

CK Sooner
5/26/2009, 03:51 PM

You guys will win a Big 12 Championship one of these times....

Maybe not.

:D

MamaMia
5/26/2009, 04:12 PM

There were plenty of things the did not go right for us that were more pivotal than this. Rude much or anything? Maybe SoonerShay wasn't aware of the official 'you get a warning first' rule.

Crimson Kid
5/26/2009, 05:15 PM
Time to move on guys.

rainiersooner
5/26/2009, 05:22 PM

* YOU

OU-HSV
5/26/2009, 06:24 PM
....How is having 1st and goal at the 4.5 yard line not a big deal, in a game we lost by 10 points?.....
I'm not gonna get in the middle of you and 75's little pow wow. I only wanted to chime in on this one part of what you said.
The point is we got down there close enough that we should have punched in a TD at least twice that I recall. IMO, we didn't execute and/or coach well when we got into the red zone.
So that being said, had anything happened with this punching incident (as far as a penalty being called, etc.)...I'm not ready to sit here and say we would have scored. Especially seeing the way we flopped more than once down there. And ultimately the bottom line is that we should NOT have to hope for penalties like that to be called to get us into the end zone. Our players and coaches should do a good enough job on their own to get in there and come out of a bowl game with a win.

But this stuff has all been driven into the ground. I understand that it's frustrating still when I think about it, but there's nothing we can do now to change any of what happened in that game. All we can do is look forward to 2009 season and have faith that Stoops will guide the team back into another BCS Championship game. And then we have to hope (once again) that our coaches and players are completely ready for it this time.

SoonerInFortSmith
5/26/2009, 11:24 PM
What OU-HSV is tryin' to say is "QUIT WHINING!"

I swear this sounds like a thread on a whorns site.

OU_Sooners75
5/27/2009, 12:07 AM
Rude much or anything? Maybe SoonerShay wasn't aware of the official 'you get a warning first' rule.

There is not an official first warning rule.

However, here we are over 5 months from the game and someone wants to bitch about something that had very little to do with the outcome of the game?

Sorry Mama, it isnt being rude...it is trying to get people to stop making excuses and whining about a game that we all know we let slip through our hands.

Collier11
5/27/2009, 12:19 AM
It could have been called, it wasnt. They say that holding could be called on every play, it isnt thank God.

I think the hit on manny merited a penalty more than that play.

The fact of the matter is that we lost due to not being able to make a block on the goal line

Jacie
5/27/2009, 06:02 AM
One year in Lincoln, the Sooners stopped the nebbish on the one inch line on a drive that would have won the game for them. I bet they still talk about that one!