PDA

View Full Version : I Got Behind A Lady Writing A Check In The Grocery Store The Other Day

VeeJay
5/24/2009, 06:45 PM
I was sorta in a hurry. She filters slowly through her purse, finally locates her checkbook, slowly takes it out, flips through to the next available check, then proceeds to finalize the transaction with what seemed to me to be the writing of a novel. Meanwhile, I'm looking around at the adjacent checkout lanes and people are swiping their cards and getting the hell out of the store a.s.a.p., with more important things to do like going home, popping open a beer, firing up the grill and watching Family Guy or something. Meanwhile, I'm aging gracefully in line while Mrs. Farnsworth licks her fingers and records the transaction in her check register. The old hag checkout lady just celebrated her 88th birthday, wait...89th birthday. They know each other, so of course get caught up on the grandkids while my Bud Light twelve pack has become so pourous through the cardboard box, I'm about to losing the thing to condensation and massive bulge of the cardboard, which is designed for one not to sit there and hold it by the handle for 40 minutes. My feet hurt.

Mrs. Farnsworth also examines the register tape for any possible errors, and brings up an international crisis of a $0.20 overcharge on a liquid soap item. So we page for a price check. This is after the old lady has already written out her check. I'm thinking that if this lady is due a $0.20 refund then all hell may break loose.

Now I know why sometimes I see a $17 pack of ribeyes which have been abandoned on top of the Snicker bars up front. It's really not a mystery once you encounter this.

GottaHavePride
5/24/2009, 06:59 PM
Oh. You met my mom. She doesn't believe in debit cards.

picasso
5/24/2009, 07:09 PM
hey now, them old peoples earned the right to make us suffers and such.

Jerk
5/24/2009, 07:46 PM

You betcha! And us youngins are the greater fool in their social security ponzi scheme.

Boomer.....
5/24/2009, 08:04 PM
Just a 12 pack?

VeeJay
5/24/2009, 08:39 PM
Just a 12 pack?

It was my second of the day. :rolleyes:

SanJoaquinSooner
5/24/2009, 08:47 PM
Must have been olevet's ex.:)

Crucifax Autumn
5/24/2009, 08:50 PM
I woulda kicked her.

CrimsonJim
5/24/2009, 09:15 PM
It was my second of the day. :rolleyes:

Thaaatt's the VeeJay we all know and love. :D

SicEmBaylor
5/24/2009, 09:17 PM
You should have just given the woman .20 cents. I've done that a couple of times just to get the person in front of me the hell out of my way.

Tulsa_Fireman
5/24/2009, 09:20 PM
You're such a giving soul, Sicem.

Curly Bill
5/24/2009, 09:22 PM
Sounds like the biotch I got behind at the Wal Marts the other day. She had coupons out the wazoo, sale papers from other grocers so she could get those prices matched, and the big hold up was the clerk had maybe charged her for the wrong kind of greens, so that had to be thoroughly checked out...

Anyway, it was pretty funny when the lady between she and I said to no one in particular rather loudly: "Oh my God, can you believe this bull****?"

I had to laugh!

yermom
5/24/2009, 11:05 PM
this is why Wal-Mart usually gets my money

they are the only one open at like 12am

Turd_Ferguson
5/24/2009, 11:12 PM
this is why Wal-Mart usually gets my money

they are the only one open at like 12amyeah, 135 employees on duty and only one cashier. man that pisses me off.

Crucifax Autumn
5/25/2009, 12:46 AM
And the 134 are standing around with there thumbs in their asses doing nothing.

Of course, if I had to work there I'd not do much either for the crappy pay and the employee abuse, but still...

goingoneight
5/25/2009, 01:01 AM
Walmarts can pay someone to sit... and say hello to their guests.

Walmarts can pay someone to brak down cardboard boxes and put them into a compactor.

Walmarts can pay someone to lurk around the parking lot and retrieve shopping carts hours after the crowds are gone and there's but one cart on the lot per hour.

Somehow, the walmarts can't afford to put in more self-checkouts since apparently cashiers is out of the question.

Crucifax Autumn
5/25/2009, 01:06 AM
I've been in Wal Mart on a Friday, on the first of the month and seen only like 5 lines open. Seriously??? When tons of people get paid, tons of people get food stamps, tons of people stock up for weekend bbq and so on and there's lines flowing back through the clothing section?

They are bastards.

SicEmBaylor
5/25/2009, 01:10 AM
Walmarts can pay someone to sit... and say hello to their guests.

Walmarts can pay someone to brak down cardboard boxes and put them into a compactor.

Walmarts can pay someone to lurk around the parking lot and retrieve shopping carts hours after the crowds are gone and there's but one cart on the lot per hour.

Somehow, the walmarts can't afford to put in more self-checkouts since apparently cashiers is out of the question.

Our Wal-Marts have plenty of self-checkout lanes, but half of them are usually closed and they close ALL of them at like 11pm and then they only have 1 or 2 lanes open the rest of the night.

Crucifax Autumn
5/25/2009, 01:13 AM
Self checkout is a cluster**** when you're buying 2 weeks worth of groceries. Not to mention the retarded senior citizen in front of you trying to figure out how it works and what a barcode is.

Curly Bill
5/25/2009, 01:14 AM
...and here we are trying to run off all the messicans! Let's put'em to work manning the registers at the Wal Marts.

Crucifax Autumn
5/25/2009, 01:15 AM
Didn't Wal MArt already get in trouble for that?

Curly Bill
5/25/2009, 01:17 AM
For hiring messicans? I thought the politicians liked providing their constituency with jobs.

Crucifax Autumn
5/25/2009, 01:19 AM
You know what I love? The way they are all buy American made and all that and built the company on the idea and now 99% of their stuff is chinese crap.

olevetonahill
5/25/2009, 01:56 AM
You peeps are really just wantin to Peiss me off tonight aint Ya

Ever Hear Of " Rosie the Riveter"
Ya Know the YOUNG woman that came in from the Farm to Help Put those Tanks and Planes together?

Guess what SHE got Old, No she Dont trust plastic cards .
Guess what ? Yes she wants to KNOW what that 20 cents is for.
Ill Stand behind her ALL ****ing day without a complaint
But one of you smart mouthed Punks Lip off Ill smak ya down .
:mad:

Crucifax Autumn
5/25/2009, 01:57 AM
No worries Vet, I get annoyed by ALL young people too!

yermom
5/25/2009, 02:06 AM
You know what I love? The way they are all buy American made and all that and built the company on the idea and now 99% of their stuff is chinese crap.

i think that's been ever since the kids took over

Crucifax Autumn
5/25/2009, 02:19 AM
This is true, but the kids sure as **** never came out and openly said "buy Chinese! Those little kids need jobs!"

yermom
5/25/2009, 02:20 AM
i mean Walton's kids :D

Crucifax Autumn
5/25/2009, 02:25 AM
I knew who you meant...

They haven't once admitted openly that they have pissed on their dad's grave and started buying child labor produced bullshat and cheese!

yermom
5/25/2009, 02:32 AM
ok, yeah

Wal-Mart, for kids, by kids ;)

Crucifax Autumn
5/25/2009, 02:35 AM
without child labor we couldn't have a hammer for 99 cents that breaks if you hit anything harder than a foam nail!

SicEmBaylor
5/25/2009, 03:40 AM
Self checkout is a cluster**** when you're buying 2 weeks worth of groceries. Not to mention the retarded senior citizen in front of you trying to figure out how it works and what a barcode is.

I've had this argument with several people including my own mother. Although the self-checkout does not have a maximum # of items -- I think it's implied. If you have more than 20 items then get in a regular f-ing lane. If you can't figure out how to use a cell phone then use the regular f-ing lane. If you're paying for a cart's worth of items with pennies then use the regular f-ing lane.

Crucifax Autumn
5/25/2009, 04:17 AM
Damn right!

I only use self checkout if I have 5 items or less. I also don't go through the express lane with 400 items like some of these morons.

VeeJay
5/25/2009, 05:30 AM

Ya Know the YOUNG woman that came in from the Farm to Help Put those Tanks and Planes together?

I didn't say anything to her about the $0.20. I wanted to but I was afraid you were lurking in the next lane, watching the whole thing unfold and just waiting for an opportunity to smak me down. :)

And like I said it was my second twelve pack of the day and by God I was thirsty!!

Crucifax Autumn
5/25/2009, 05:31 AM
And I'm sure that old dried up thing was just buying BS like food...Screw her! lol

She oughtta know what's important by now!

VeeJay
5/25/2009, 05:54 AM
She sorta looked like a foreigner. I doubt she put any US tanks together. She may have been one of those Europeans who we helped save. But that's my speculation. Drunken as it was.

TAFBSooner
5/25/2009, 07:26 PM

SAaa-LUTE!
:P

tulsaoilerfan
5/25/2009, 10:15 PM

As someone that spends a ton of time in stores doing my job, women, in general are slower than **** when it comes to paying when they check out

Collier11
5/25/2009, 11:59 PM
You're such a giving soul, Sicem.

he has also given a dog a bj just because the dog looked down on his luck

tbl
5/26/2009, 08:59 AM
The problem with check writers is most of the time they wait to start writing the check until AFTER the total is calculated. You mean to tell me they couldn't get all the basic info except for the total written up while they're waiting there? Come on! Same goes for the ****** standing in a long fast food line (or drive through) that has waited there for 5-10 minutes to order with the menu in front of him the entire time, then gets up to the register to order and all of a sudden has a tough time deciding what he wants. grrrrrrr....

Also, this is why I believe the government should step in and mandate that all retail stores implement the single line/next available concept. Grocery stores haven't caught on to this yet and they're the biggest offender of taking a gamble on which line to get into, then inevitably picking the WRONG line.

tbl
5/26/2009, 09:01 AM
I've had this argument with several people including my own mother. Although the self-checkout does not have a maximum # of items -- I think it's implied. If you have more than 20 items then get in a regular f-ing lane. If you can't figure out how to use a cell phone then use the regular f-ing lane. If you're paying for a cart's worth of items with pennies then use the regular f-ing lane.

A lot of stores are putting signs up for the self checkout, limiting the items. Of course people don't follow them, but at least they're there.

badger
5/26/2009, 09:11 AM
All this talk about Chinese and kiddo labor made me think of the Olympics and how upset I was that China was getting away with using athletes that were too young in girl's gymnastics (we won't call it 'women's gymnastics' because we all know that once you become a woman, you are too old to be an Olympic gymnast).

But hey, at least these girls had their Olympic moment and from winning gold, will likely be given future educational and job opportunities. Many of their peers are, like you all have been saying, are working for Wal-mart.