PDA

View Full Version : Once again the progressive movement creates...

Jerk
5/23/2009, 11:44 PM
a business opportunity

A $2 tax per beer? ARe you fkn kidding me? Smokes are now over $9 a pack in NYC

There is much potential for cash profit here.

Cash only is the way to go...unless you want to help support Octomom and the other leechf*cks.

AggieTool
5/23/2009, 11:57 PM
Dern communizm I tell ya.:mad:

bluedogok
5/24/2009, 10:02 AM
$2.00 per case of beer, not on a single beer...at least at the US level. Several states (mostly out west) seem to be considering their own state beer taxes.

USA Today - Beer tax on tap for health care? (http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2009-05-20-beer-health-insurance_N.htm)
Updated 3d 20h ago

WASHINGTON (AP) — Consumers in the United States may have to hand over nearly $2 more for a case of beer to help provide health insurance for all.

Details of the proposed beer tax are described in a Senate Finance Committee document that will be used to brief lawmakers Wednesday at a closed-door meeting.

Taxes on wine and hard liquor would also go up. And there might be a new tax on soda and other sugary drinks blamed for contributing to obesity. No taxes on diet drinks, however.

Beer taxes would go up by 48 cents a six-pack, wine taxes would rise by 49 cents per bottle, and the tax on hard liquor would increase by 40 cents per fifth. Proceeds from the new taxes would help cover an estimated 50 million uninsured Americans.

NewsChannel8 - Portland (OR) - Beer lovers line up against hefty tax at Salem hearing (http://www.kgw.com/news-local/stories/kgw_021309_news_oregon_beer_tax.126942e1.html?npc)
09:47 PM PST on Monday, February 23, 2009

By ERIC ADAMS, kgw.com Staff

SALEM, Ore. -- Addiction and recovery advocates were pitted against a cadre of brewmasters and Oregon’s microbrew industry Monday as the Legislature held public hearings over a proposed 1,900 percent beer tax increase.

The Oregon Partnership, a non-profit group that combats drug and alcohol abuse, strongly supports the proposed tax and wants the proceeds to go toward funding prevention and treatment programs.

The state sees the tax as a way to pump money into programs that are hurting for funds in light of the current budget deficit.

"Increasing the beer tax is one of the most logical steps that can be taken in the goal to stabilize addiction recovery services,” said Stephanie Soares Pump, who serves on the Governor’s Council on Alcohol and Drug Abuse Programs.

Restaurateurs, breweries and many Oregon microbrew enthusiasts oppose the legislation, claiming the state’s low beer tax encourages a thriving industry.

House Bill 2641 claims Oregon ranks 49th among states in its malt beverage taxation rate, which has not been raised in 32 years. Backers of the legislation claim it would increase the tax on a 12-ounce beer from one cent to 15 cents.

More: Outrage brewing over 1,900% beer tax hike

Rep. Ben Cannon, D-Portland, said the bill would raise $300 million toward alcohol and drug addiction treatment.

However, opponents claimed those costs would be passed to beer drinkers and would raise the cost of a pint by up to $1.50. It would also cost jobs in the restaurant and brewing industries, they said.

“We could see a $2.50 to $4 a six-pack (price) increase,” said Kurt Widmer of Widmer Brewing Co., one of the state’s largest microbrewers. "Beer drinkers, whether you want to argue the math or not, will pay an increased amount at a time they are all suffering as we are."

Laurelwood Public House & Brewing Co. owner Mike De Falb said it was unfair that wineries and liquor distillers did not face a higher tax. He also said the tax should exempt smaller breweries like his own, as previous versions of the legislation have done.

The tax has not been raised since the 1970s but not for a lack of trying. The issue is a biennial one in Salem, but so far lobbyists and the beer industry have defeated every attempt at raising the tax.

National breweries would account for 88 percent of the tax, according to the state.

The tax bill is sponsored by five lawmakers, four from Portland and one from Springfield.

Dern communizm I tell ya.:mad:
Nah with communism they would just take it away from and tell you that you like it that way. If you don't answer affirmatively, then you would be sent to a re-education camp.

BudSooner
5/24/2009, 10:16 AM
I had a progressive movement this morning, sure used alot of TP to wipe my fat *** afterwards.

yermom
5/24/2009, 10:56 AM
beats taxing gas...

Harry Beanbag
5/24/2009, 11:28 AM
Our Founding Fathers are laughing at us for bending over for unfair taxation.

bluedogok
5/24/2009, 12:27 PM
beats taxing gas...
Then they could've taxed Bud after this morning :eek:

BudSooner
5/24/2009, 09:42 PM
Then they could've taxed Bud after this morning :eek:
Will they take a check? ;)

Pricetag
5/26/2009, 09:52 AM
I don't think the tax should apply to 3.2 beer.

badger
5/26/2009, 09:53 AM
Time to stockpile, boys. Gotta get an ample supply of beer pre-tax!

Perhaps Oklahoma will have no tax, because the beer sold here is not beer :D

tbl
5/26/2009, 10:05 AM
As a Baptist, I have no problem with this ruling. :D

soonermix
5/26/2009, 11:11 AM

fun hater

NYC Poke
5/26/2009, 11:27 AM

That's because Baptists only drink other people's beer. ;)

Scott D
5/26/2009, 11:37 AM
States would end up gouging more than the Fed on a matter like this.

But, it'll be interesting to see this country go through a consumer created prohibition period.

Fraggle145
5/26/2009, 12:39 PM
Or we could make Pot legal and it would save all of beer drinkers a **** ton of money...

BornandBred
5/26/2009, 12:43 PM
Or we could make Pot legal and it would save all of beer drinkers a **** ton of money...

But, then how could the government continue to legislate my morals on this issue? They know what's best for me, right?

Fraggle145
5/26/2009, 12:44 PM
beats taxing gas...

Not in my mind. More people buy gas and more people are "addicted" to it.

Why the hell should I pay for programs in health care, when I would say just as many people die/injured from automobile related injuries as are from alcohol?

Creating disparities in who pays for the programs is going to breed resentment (or more than there already is).

yermom
5/26/2009, 12:58 PM
beer is a luxury though. and +$2 a case isn't prohibitively expensive

Scott D
5/26/2009, 01:00 PM
personally I'd back a $2 per square centimeter tax on Subarus.

sooner_born_1960
5/26/2009, 01:06 PM
You people who support taxing beer any more than it already is make me sad. Just sad.

badger
5/26/2009, 01:09 PM

The people who tried to get the Tulsa River Tax passed in this county said the same thing on the 1/2 penny sales tax that would have been added to improve the Arkie River. A 1/2 penny isn't even a penny! Cheap tax! It's not that much...

... but the ones who voted against it said that Tulsa Co. was already taxed enough.

I would guess that the anti-beer tax crowd would say the same thing. Sure, $2 doesn't sound like a lot, much like a 1/2 penny by itself doesn't sound like a lot... but when it's on top of 5-9 percent (depending on where you live) sales taxes, it can add up quickly.

yermom
5/26/2009, 01:11 PM

:mad:

meh, hopefully i'm not buying another one anytime soon anyway

NYC Poke
5/26/2009, 01:14 PM

Why do you hate lesbians?

yermom
5/26/2009, 01:17 PM
The people who tried to get the Tulsa River Tax passed in this county said the same thing on the 1/2 penny sales tax that would have been added to improve the Arkie River. A 1/2 penny isn't even a penny! Cheap tax! It's not that much...

... but the ones who voted against it said that Tulsa Co. was already taxed enough.

I would guess that the anti-beer tax crowd would say the same thing. Sure, $2 doesn't sound like a lot, much like a 1/2 penny by itself doesn't sound like a lot... but when it's on top of 5-9 percent (depending on where you live) sales taxes, it can add up quickly.

that tax is on everything though, you can't avoid paying that .5% every day

how many cases of beer are you guys buying?

NYC Poke
5/26/2009, 01:26 PM

You just answered your own question. :O

badger
5/26/2009, 01:26 PM

I dislike "beer," so I guess it depends on what you define as "beer."

Is "beer" everything bottled and canned that has a trace of alcohol in it that isn't considered medicine? Is beer only bottled/canned goods that have 5 % or less alcohol in it (once again, excluding cough syrup and Nyquil-like things). Is beer stuff that includes hops and barley, but not "beaver drinks" like Smirnoff or Mike's Hard Lemonade? Does MGD 64 count even if it allegedly tastes like water? Does Oklahoma beer count even though it only has 3.2ish percent alcohol by content?

Define beer, and I'll give ya an answer :D

OklahomaTuba
5/26/2009, 01:38 PM
Let tax air!!!!!

Oh wait....

Scott D
5/26/2009, 01:42 PM
Why do you hate lesbians?

Next in line is birkenstocks!

MR2-Sooner86
5/26/2009, 01:47 PM

Luxury eh? I see....

Well then lets tax any TV over 30 inches because bigger than that is a luxury.
Any car that has over 250 horsepower is a luxury and is wasteful so lets tax that.
Pop is a luxury too because all we really need is water. So lets tax pop and all other drinks we don't need.
While we're at it lets tax all caffeine products because you don't need that and it's a luxury.
Lets tax Blu-ray players as well because you just need a DVD player and don't need HD.
Music is a luxury too. Nobody needs music so lets tax all radio. You have to pay a monthly fee to get radio stations.
Sporting events are a luxury as well. How about you have to pay $0.99 to view every game on TV?
While we're at it profanity is really useless and can be a "luxury" to use so why don't we tax everybody $0.25 for every profanity and the F word gets a $1.00 charge.
What about non-educational toys? If a kid isn't learning then the toy is a luxury. So while we're at it lets tax all toys that aren't deemed educational.

Moral of the story? Don't give the government the power and say to pick what is a luxury and able to make it taxable or ban.

yermom
5/26/2009, 01:53 PM
I dislike "beer," so I guess it depends on what you define as "beer."

Is "beer" everything bottled and canned that has a trace of alcohol in it that isn't considered medicine? Is beer only bottled/canned goods that have 5 % or less alcohol in it (once again, excluding cough syrup and Nyquil-like things). Is beer stuff that includes hops and barley, but not "beaver drinks" like Smirnoff or Mike's Hard Lemonade? Does MGD 64 count even if it allegedly tastes like water? Does Oklahoma beer count even though it only has 3.2ish percent alcohol by content?

Define beer, and I'll give ya an answer :D

i believe the tax would include wine and "spirits" as well

i'm not really for new taxes, but taxing something that you don't need to survive bothers me a lot less than taxing crap everyone needs

if $2 per case of beer or an equivalent is putting a dent in your budget, you might need to look into some meetings

NYC Poke
5/26/2009, 01:56 PM
THEY TAX THE MEETINGS!!!!

No they don't. Not really. Or at least, not that I know of. :O

yermom
5/26/2009, 01:56 PM
Luxury eh? I see....

Well then lets tax any TV over 30 inches because bigger than that is a luxury.
Any car that has over 250 horsepower is a luxury and is wasteful so lets tax that.
Pop is a luxury too because all we really need is water. So lets tax pop and all other drinks we don't need.
While we're at it lets tax all caffeine products because you don't need that and it's a luxury.
Lets tax Blu-ray players as well because you just need a DVD player and don't need HD.
Music is a luxury too. Nobody needs music so lets tax all radio. You have to pay a monthly fee to get radio stations.
Sporting events are a luxury as well. How about you have to pay $0.99 to view every game on TV?
While we're at it profanity is really useless and can be a "luxury" to use so why don't we tax everybody $0.25 for every profanity and the F word gets a $1.00 charge.
What about non-educational toys? If a kid isn't learning then the toy is a luxury. So while we're at it lets tax all toys that aren't deemed educational.

Moral of the story? Don't give the government the power and say to pick what is a luxury and able to make it taxable or ban.

i'd rather see a tax like that than the one currently which just takes a percentage off my income...

NYC Poke
5/26/2009, 02:08 PM
i'd rather see a tax like that than the one currently which just takes a percentage off my income...

Demand on items considered true luxury goods tends to be pretty elastic, meaning that luxury taxes usually create little revenue and end up throwing a lot of people out of work. That's why the government usually taxes things with inelastic demand curves, like gasoline, cigarettes, and alcohol. The view is that to the extent these taxes alter behavior away from consumption of these things, it is a social good is outweighed by any loss in tax revenue (HIGHLY debatable in the case of a case of beer).

MR2-Sooner86
5/26/2009, 02:11 PM

Ah, so no more fun until we're willing to pay dearly for it? Got ya.

yermom
5/26/2009, 02:14 PM
i'd rather be taxed on fun than taxed on living

Tulsa_Fireman
5/26/2009, 02:17 PM
OR...

We could not spend as much money.

Scott D
5/26/2009, 02:19 PM
I think we should tax the hell out of everything that says "Made in China"

MR2-Sooner86
5/26/2009, 02:27 PM

You'll love the carbon tax then.

Tulsa_Fireman
5/26/2009, 02:29 PM
There should be a gonad tax.

yermom
5/26/2009, 02:29 PM
I think we should tax the hell out of everything that says "Made in China"

i like this idea a lot

BornandBred
5/26/2009, 03:13 PM
i like this idea a lot

China doesn't, so we won't.

Jerk
5/26/2009, 04:15 PM
China doesn't, so we won't.

Yep. If China quits buying our T bonds then we are fuuuuuuuuuuuucked and they know it. I'm surprised we haven't offered them Taiwan or F-22 Raptor secrets to lower the interest payments

Harry Beanbag
5/26/2009, 04:21 PM

Beer and whiskey are part of living. The problem is the government is spending and wasting too much damn money.

sooner_born_1960
5/26/2009, 04:27 PM
Why do we even need to entertain the notion of new taxes. When we (city, state, nation) run out of money, stop spending.

Fraggle145
5/26/2009, 05:51 PM

It will not improve the Arkansas river. All it will do is create stagnant cesspools in the summer when flows are low. Hide and watch... with all the **** that goes into that river and a series of lowhead dams is just going to block it up into a series of **** lakes in the channel. If you dont belive me ask ODWC. they were against it.

Fraggle145
5/26/2009, 05:58 PM

I'd rather see everyone get ****ed if we are going to get ****ed. I think you dont mind as much because they arent taxing something you purchase all that often.

bluedogok
5/26/2009, 08:55 PM
Let tax air!!!!!

Oh wait....
Just give it time.....

http://www.girlontheright.com/perriair.jpg

bluedogok
5/26/2009, 08:58 PM
Duplicate post....Double Taxation