PDA

View Full Version : Alex Williams dismissed.

soonerfan28
5/22/2009, 11:04 PM
According to KJRH in Tulsa Alex Williams has been dismissed form OU.

SoonerInFortSmith
5/22/2009, 11:33 PM
No details?

Aries
5/23/2009, 06:21 AM
http://www.tulsaworld.com/sports/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20090523_92_B5_Theoff241402&archive=yes

Sooners dismiss lineman

By DAVE SITTLER World Sports Writer
Published: 5/23/2009 2:23 AM
Last Modified: 5/23/2009 5:33 AM

The offensive line, the most questionable area on Oklahoma's football team heading into next season, got a little thinner Friday when coach Bob Stoops told the Tulsa World that Alex Williams is no longer with the team.

A 6-6, 300-pounder from New Orleans, Williams played in six games as a backup last season as a redshirt freshman. He was in the competition during spring practice as Stoops attempted to replace four starters on the O-line.

"Alex Williams won't be back with us," Stoops said in a telephone interview. "He's not doing what he needs to do. I'm not going to renew his scholarship, and he's going to transfer somewhere."

Williams confirmed with The Oklahoman that he is transferring.

"Basically, it's nothing against anyone," Williams told the paper. "It's no controversy or nothing. We just felt like I could do better somewhere else."

World Sports Writer John E. Hoover contributed to this report

swardboy
5/23/2009, 06:58 AM
"Alex Williams won't be back with us," Stoops said in a telephone interview. "He's not doing what he needs to do. I'm not going to renew his scholarship, and he's going to transfer somewhere."

Coach sounds like a man on a mission!!

MamaMia
5/23/2009, 09:05 AM
So. What'll it be? LSU...OsU, thug U or USuC? :pop:

RedstickSooner
5/23/2009, 09:16 AM
Spiffy. If there's one position where I'd like to see some attrition, it's the o-line.

Maybe some wideouts can switch position to tackle or guard?

:eek:

Boomer38Sooner
5/23/2009, 12:01 PM
Spiffy. If there's one position where I'd like to see some attrition, it's the o-line.

Maybe some wideouts can switch position to tackle or guard?

:eek:

maybe some d-linemen can switch for some depth?

SoonerInFortSmith
5/23/2009, 12:04 PM
If things are bad enough for him to transfer he wasn't gonna play anyway.

Curly Bill
5/23/2009, 12:18 PM

This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^.

No big deal, we'll be just fine without him.

JLEW1818
5/23/2009, 12:41 PM
This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^.

No big deal, we'll be just fine without him.

yep, no biggy.

boomerborn79
5/23/2009, 02:26 PM
Any time you loose game experience at a position that has little at all it is a biggy. This off season as far as O-line is reminding me too much of 2005. Thank god we have that #14 guy at QB.

bluedogok
5/23/2009, 02:50 PM
He will probably end up at a Southern Miss, UL-Laf or some other place like that. Maybe even I-AA since he already used up the redshirt year.

soonerfan28
5/23/2009, 05:14 PM
It sounds like he's lazy. He'll probably wind up somewhere where they expect very little from you.

Curly Bill
5/23/2009, 05:30 PM
Any time you loose game experience at a position that has little at all it is a biggy. This off season as far as O-line is reminding me too much of 2005. Thank god we have that #14 guy at QB.

Yup, good thing we have Bradford to help overcome the huge loss of Alex Williams. :rolleyes:

OU_Sooners75
5/23/2009, 10:58 PM

Offensive linemen are a dime a dozen.

If he was having problems with what he needed to do, he was not going to see the field.

Playing Time experience does not equal quality.

CrimsonJim
5/23/2009, 11:07 PM

Zactly.

OU_Sooners75
5/24/2009, 01:51 AM
CB, to answer your "qestion" yeah I turned him red!

hobbes2702
5/24/2009, 03:17 AM

This is uncorrect

SoonerInFortSmith
5/24/2009, 02:08 PM
Alex Williams is not Jamaal Brown or Duke Robinson. He's probably not even Brandon Braxton. 300 lb. guys that are lazy are a nickel a dozen. I'll bet there's at least a two-deep of 300 pounders on SF.

Ardmore_Sooner
5/24/2009, 02:17 PM
This is uncorrect

Me fail English? That's unpossible!

http://ihateyou79.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/ralph-wiggum-nose-picking.jpg

hobbes2702
5/24/2009, 03:12 PM
Me fail English? That's unpossible!

Apparently you haven't spent much time on the internets.

Ardmore_Sooner
5/24/2009, 03:14 PM
Apparently you haven't spent much time on the internets.

Apparently you aren't familiar with a joke.

IronHorseSooner
5/24/2009, 06:55 PM
I would also venture that he was recruited over, as well, looking at who is coming in next year.

badger
5/24/2009, 07:48 PM
maybe some d-linemen can switch for some depth?

It worked out well for Jamaal Brown :)

cherrylimeade
5/24/2009, 08:52 PM
I understand Sam Houston State has a fine football program...

rainiersooner
5/24/2009, 11:10 PM
Fire Venables.

goingoneight
5/24/2009, 11:20 PM
Stoops has lost his "swagger."

If only Paul Thompson came in against LSU...

Where do I get a 'Boomer Sooner' ringtone?

Why do they call him 'AD?'

Who's gonna start at QB once Thompson's gone?

boomerborn79
5/24/2009, 11:20 PM
curly bill, 6-6 300 pound loss that's all. No probably not something thats going to hold us back but again someone who has had game experience, another familiar face in the huddle with sam. All I was getting at is thats what 4 o-line already this off season. Just like 05. I don't want a patch work O-line like 05.

goingoneight
5/24/2009, 11:42 PM
From Stoops's comments and AW's comments, it sounds to me like it's a cut and dry situation where our coaching staff is willing to just do without AW. We have a scholly available obviously, or else he wouldn't have been here.

As for 2005, the entire team was consiered patchwork. Bomar was talented, but not mature enough to be thrown into the starting QB role, the OL was green (and later called out for being lazy in the off-season) and the WR corps started three true freshmen. There was no JG, there was no depth behind AD (who went down in game 4) and Chuck Long was still calling the shots. Part of what makes CFB great is rolling out the n00bs and rolling the dice every year. We don't want to see OU get beat, and we sure don't want to see our guys get hurt, but eventually you roll out the next generation.

Remember when people thought Paul Thompson was about as good as we could get post-Jason White? Remember when AD went down in 2006? Guys can, and will step up, provided there's not a serious problem with laziness and inexperience all over the field. As good as OUr OL was last year, many would agree that they were not cutting the mustard early-on for either of the two running backs, conveniently blamed on DeMarco's knee injury. Yet, when DM was isolated out in space, he was every bit the flashy phenom he was as a freshmen.
It's possible that this year's line could in many ways be better, also possible that depth issues can bite us in the arse like MLB depth last year against Texaz.

As for right now, we'll see how many of our four kickers hold onto their scholly as well. Granted, that's not as important as the OL... but we have limited scholarships given what it costs to keep these kids on the team to put up with a guy not living up to Stoops's standards.

Curly Bill
5/25/2009, 12:11 AM
curly bill, 6-6 300 pound loss that's all. No probably not something thats going to hold us back but again someone who has had game experience, another familiar face in the huddle with sam. All I was getting at is thats what 4 o-line already this off season. Just like 05. I don't want a patch work O-line like 05.

Oh noeeeeees! Alex Williams is off the team! Someone call our opponents and cancel the season. :eek:

JLEW1818
5/25/2009, 12:18 AM
Oh noeeeeees! Alex Williams is off the team! Someone call our opponents and cancel the season. :eek:

game with BYU has just been postponed....... moved neutral location to Austin texas.... :eek:

Curly Bill
5/25/2009, 12:20 AM
Dude, without Alex "Superman" Williams I want no part of BYU on any field, at any time.

Crucifax Autumn
5/25/2009, 03:16 AM
Yep, we might as well start focusing on 2010!

boomerborn79
5/25/2009, 09:11 AM
Curly, you miss spelled noeeeees! Your making me out to be a nickzepp clone or something, come on. Your right though no big deal at all. Why is there even a thread, cancel the thread along with the season.

OU_Sooners75
5/25/2009, 11:30 AM
This is uncorrect

Name the one area of a team that has more players than the OLine?

boomerborn79
5/25/2009, 11:44 AM

LB-12, WR-11, DB-13, D-LINE-16, O-LINE-11 Your arguement that O-line are easily replaced and not that important is arrogant. Teams win games in the trenches, depth is important.

goingoneight
5/25/2009, 12:05 PM
In the words of Bobby Stoops, "we're not throwing a bunch of bums out there..."

We may not be last year-kinda deep, but we'll have a good two deep.

badger
5/25/2009, 12:05 PM
O-LINE-11

I could be mistaken, but I think OU only has 9 on its roster right now:

Josh Aladenoye, Stephen Good, Jarvis Jones, Brian Simmons, Trent Williams, Cory Brandon, Ben Habern, Donald Stephenson, Brian Lepak

Who am I missing... or did you count Alex Williams... twice...?

boomerborn79
5/25/2009, 12:20 PM
I could be mistaken, but I think OU only has 9 on its roster right now:

Josh Aladenoye, Stephen Good, Jarvis Jones, Brian Simmons, Trent Williams, Cory Brandon, Ben Habern, Donald Stephenson, Brian Lepak

Who am I missing... or did you count Alex Williams... twice...?

Went of OUInsider spring depth chart, no didn't even count Alex. Anyway makes the argument even more sound with only 9 o-line.

Ardmore_Sooner
5/25/2009, 01:01 PM
Curly, you miss spelled noeeeees! Your making me out to be a nickzepp clone or something, come on. Your right though no big deal at all. Why is there even a thread, cancel the thread along with the season.

You misspelled "misspelled" and "you're". ;)

I keed because I love.

BoomerJ
5/25/2009, 06:56 PM
2 Jucos also coming in.

G8trGr8t
5/26/2009, 12:59 PM
Cred to Stoops for standing for principles.

Meyer sent argueably our most talented DT down the road because he would not perform in class or practice with intensity. Torrey Davis was a 5 star recruit and has the talent to be a first round draft pick but had no desire to be a college student so Meyer released him. TD was the guy that blew up the two goal line plays that helped us win the MNC. WHen the kid stried, he was incredible but didn't want to play by the rules.

Do you think Williams was an academic casualty? If he played for OU last year with the talent ahead of him, he must have had some skills and wasn't just a "fat boy".

Scott D
5/26/2009, 01:01 PM
Cred to Stoops for standing for principles.

Meyer sent argueably our most talented DT down the road because he would not perform in class or practice with intensity. Torrey Davis was a 5 star recruit and has the talent to be a first round draft pick but had no desire to be a college student so Meyer released him. TD was the guy that blew up the two goal line plays that helped us win the MNC. WHen the kid stried, he was incredible but didn't want to play by the rules.

Do you think Williams was an academic casualty? If he played for OU last year with the talent ahead of him, he must have had some skills and wasn't just a "fat boy".

we had one of those once. We called him Lawrence Dampeer...or Moe for short.

goingoneight
5/26/2009, 01:37 PM
I'm hearing AW was one of the guys Stoops was disappointed in during Spring football and this is a result of a guy not living up to Stoops's standards of conditioning. IOW, Schmiddy sent another one down the road.
I like that OUr staff stands their ground when it comes to this kind of thing. If it's true, I'd rather be let down in the preseason than to see an out-of-shape player whipped up and down the field during the season.

BornandBred
5/26/2009, 02:00 PM
This hurts us depth-wise, but likely helps us as far was the average player quality. A poor effort by one guy can quickly spread to others. A great work ethic can spread the same way. If he's been fired, I wish him well and hope he gets his stuff together. We'll be fine.

goingoneight
5/26/2009, 06:58 PM
How many true fishies are rolling in to the OL lineup this August?

SoonerInFortSmith
5/26/2009, 11:13 PM
Two in mop up duty.

OU_Sooners75
5/26/2009, 11:51 PM
LB-12, WR-11, DB-13, D-LINE-16, O-LINE-11 Your arguement that O-line are easily replaced and not that important is arrogant. Teams win games in the trenches, depth is important.

Thank you captain obvious.

WR...we play 6+ in one game.
LB...we better have depth after what we witnessed last year. DB, we also rotate a good amount in certain situations.

Oline....11 is not bad at all...not to mention the 2 or more we have coming in this fall. That gives us depth.

And yes, only a stupid one would think the games are not won in the trenches. And I agree, depth is important...however, depth does no good if you are just throwing bodies out there that do not want to do what is required.

Hence, if Alex Williams was not doing what is required, then he was not going to see the field anyway. So he would not be reliable depth.

soonerfan28
5/27/2009, 09:13 AM
Good had passed Williams on the depth chart before Williams was dismissed so it's not like he was going to be playing next season. Yes, it hurts our depth, but w/Jeffries and Vinson coming in this fall it will give us the ability to slide someone like Jarvis Jones to guard.

boomerborn79
5/27/2009, 07:23 PM
Originally Posted by OU_Sooners75

You asked. I answered. CAPTIAN OBVIOUS. We better have depth at LB, agree with that one. But to say that makes you sound stupid when your argument is we should have more LB than O-line. OK!!!!! Look IF he quit because he was lazy then fine. So be it. Good ridence. But from what I have read on this board is no one knows why he is gone. The kid lined up as a SOONER for us last year and until he is at another college he is a SOONER. You running your mouth off about how we don't need him show a true arrogance about football and espacially OU football. The kid may not have started but having depth pushes other players to play harder, also give them a break when the game is out of hand. Call me whatever and neg speck me all you want. It hurts to see an O-line with game time experience leave the team. Like I said IF he was lazy fine, but until that comes out on this board I think it sucks. Tell me wouldn't you rather have on the team? For all you know the KID is home sick and misses his momma your sitting on your but calling him lazy. Way to go soonerfan????

OUmillenium
5/28/2009, 08:30 AM
I'm hearing AW was one of the guys Stoops was disappointed in during Spring football and this is a result of a guy not living up to Stoops's standards of conditioning. IOW, Schmiddy sent another one down the road.
I like that OUr staff stands their ground when it comes to this kind of thing. If it's true, I'd rather be let down in the preseason than to see an out-of-shape player whipped up and down the field during the season.

Team chemistry and consistent effort should be an upside to this issue.

OU_Sooners75
5/28/2009, 08:31 AM
Originally Posted by OU_Sooners75

You asked. I answered. CAPTIAN OBVIOUS. We better have depth at LB, agree with that one. But to say that makes you sound stupid when your argument is we should have more LB than O-line. OK!!!!! Look IF he quit because he was lazy then fine. So be it. Good ridence. But from what I have read on this board is no one knows why he is gone. The kid lined up as a SOONER for us last year and until he is at another college he is a SOONER. You running your mouth off about how we don't need him show a true arrogance about football and espacially OU football. The kid may not have started but having depth pushes other players to play harder, also give them a break when the game is out of hand. Call me whatever and neg speck me all you want. It hurts to see an O-line with game time experience leave the team. Like I said IF he was lazy fine, but until that comes out on this board I think it sucks. Tell me wouldn't you rather have on the team? For all you know the KID is home sick and misses his momma your sitting on your but calling him lazy. Way to go soonerfan????'

was your spek meant to be red or green? Cannot tell when it is gray.

Let me know, so I know how to react to your stupidity from now on.... :texan:

By the way numbnuts....

Figure it out....Pre Spring, Bob Stoops said the OLine was not doing what was expected.

He names no one.

Spring Game...Alex Williams gets his *** handed to him on a platter....

Post Spring Alex Williams is released from the team.

Not sure if you know this or not...but I played OL in College, and laziness and other aspects can deter coaches.

If the guy does not want to do what is expected...laziness or otherwise...he is not seeing the field.

So please do not bring your phucking noobness to me like you know exactly what is going on here.

And like I said...and which made apparent you cannot comprehend what you read.....

Playing time experience does not equal quality depth...if so...is Brandon Crow just as good or has the same quality as Austin Box or Mike Balogun?

boomermagic
5/29/2009, 11:37 AM

If he was having problems with what he needed to do, he was not going to see the field.

Playing Time experience does not equal quality.

If OLmen are a dime a dozen Stoops needs to pick up a quarters worth..

oudivesherpa
5/29/2009, 11:46 AM
The O line keep our OB from getting his bell ring. Yes, they are a dime a dozen, but the really great ones, the ones need to win champoniships are one in a million.

soonerfan28
5/29/2009, 11:54 AM
W/Sam having the experience he does it will give the O-line time to gel. It also doesn't hurt that we open w/Idaho St. This starting five up front could actually be better then last years talent wise. The only problem is we don't have the depth that we did last year or the experience.

boomerborn79
5/29/2009, 01:52 PM
W/Sam having the experience he does it will give the O-line time to gel. It also doesn't hurt that we open w/Idaho St. This starting five up front could actually be better then last years talent wise. The only problem is we don't have the depth that we did last year or the experience.

We open with BYU. They are returning most of there starters from the front seven from last year, but I watched them get pushed around in a few games like tcu and utah. They get ran on pretty easy and put there LBs in close. I am positive any OU lineman that lines up against them will have his way. I see them loading the box and blitzing untill Sam gets his 300 yds, 4 td first half stats. Kinda like the tcu game against us last year. I just hope we can run alot better than that game.

soonerfan28
5/29/2009, 02:53 PM
You're right we do open w/BYU. I had a brain fart there. I think it will take our run game longer to get in a groove then it will our passing. Sam has the ability to escape the pocket and keep his eyes down the field. We have 2 TB's w/experience and 3 if we have Madu back there so that should help the O-line also.