PDA

View Full Version : Terminator Salvation

badger
5/22/2009, 11:44 AM
Since the last thread discussing this movie (Christian Bale tirade remix ends in South Oval fight) got locked, just curious - anyone see this movie yet?

Unlike the other summer blockbusters to get released these past few weeks, this one opened on a Thursday.

Also to go outside the expected, this Terminator flick is the first that's rated PG-13.

For old time's sake, here's a link to the incredibly NSFW remix:

Link (http://www.youtube.com/v/Wijj427JhnY&hl=en&fs=1)

EDIT: I won't embed it because it has a naughty word on the image.

TheUnnamedSooner
5/22/2009, 01:19 PM
Unlike the other summer blockbusters to get released these past few weeks, this one opened on a Thursday.

Star Trek opened on a Thursday.

badger
5/22/2009, 01:28 PM
Star Trek opened on a Thursday.

Its official opening was Friday, but yes, there were only advanced screenings on Thursday.
http://www.newworlds.ph/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/star-trek-final-poster.gif
Terminator Salvation was a true Thursday opening... and it apparently took in $3 mil in midnight screenings alone

TheUnnamedSooner
5/22/2009, 01:59 PM
If by "only advanced screenings" you mean 3,849 theatres (same as friday) and 2 showtimes, then you are right.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=daily&id=startrek11.htm

badger
5/22/2009, 02:03 PM
If by "only advanced screenings" you mean 3,849 theatres (same as friday) and 2 showtimes, then you are right.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=daily&id=startrek11.htm

Then all of their promotional material (like the poster I linked here) lies :D

A shot of the link you just posted is...
http://i42.tinypic.com/25zimfn.jpg
And on top of that, if Star Trek *really* opened on May 7 and not just have a few advanced screenings, I'm sure it would have made more than $4 million as your link states.

Regardless, has anyone actually seen the movie?

TheUnnamedSooner
5/22/2009, 04:33 PM
I think I see what you're saying now. Star Trek only had two showings on Thursday where I think Terminator showed all day.

JLEW1818
5/22/2009, 04:45 PM
IN THE GENERAL SPORTS FORUM, PLEASE GO VOTE WHO WINS THE NBA FINALS AND OVER WHO. YOU WILL SEE THE THREAD.

TheUnnamedSooner
5/22/2009, 04:50 PM
Quit yelling at me and Badger!

badger
5/22/2009, 10:49 PM
NP and I just returned from it. It's just under two hours and it does not suck. If you've already seen the other major summer movies, it would be worth seeing this Memorial Day weekend.

StoopTroup
5/23/2009, 05:56 PM
Are the Trekkers in a war against the machines this summer?

Crucifax Autumn
5/24/2009, 03:09 AM
Who cares??? Don't you people realize what's really important?????

FOX friggin' cancelled the great show Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles!!!!!!!!!!

The movie will make its money and get its 2 planned sequels.

Meanwhile millions of fans of the TV show got screwed on a cliffhanger! Write SciFi and CW begging them to pick it up!

Viva la Resistance!!!!

yermom
5/24/2009, 03:12 AM
true dat.

BudSooner
5/24/2009, 09:58 AM
Hmmmm, I loves me some Terminator but ya gotta just wonder something.
Since Skynet took over and launched nukes on Judgement Day, and with the resulting EMP......shouldn't the machines have lost?

badger
5/24/2009, 01:33 PM
Who cares??? Don't you people realize what's really important?????

FOX friggin' cancelled the great show Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles!!!!!!!!!!

The movie will make its money and get its 2 planned sequels.

Meanwhile millions of fans of the TV show got screwed on a cliffhanger! Write SciFi and CW begging them to pick it up!

Viva la Resistance!!!!

I heard that show was friggin' expensive to produce, so it's highly unlikely that CW or Sci Fi (Scyfy? lulz) would pick it up, unless they re-tooled it so that there was less special effects and more storyline... probably would serve the series well. I stopped watching a few episodes into the new season when it seemed like they were going with the "new cyborg each week" formula. blehhh

I think it's funny that Night at the Museum is outperforming Terminator this weekend. Has anyone seen that one? Is it worthy of its own thread?

soonerinabilene
5/24/2009, 02:37 PM
Hmmmm, I loves me some Terminator but ya gotta just wonder something.
Since Skynet took over and launched nukes on Judgement Day, and with the resulting EMP......shouldn't the machines have lost?

Ive always wondered that too. Also, if the machines are so damn smart, why didnt they realize that if they never sent a machine back to kill sarah in the first place, Kyle never would have gone back to protect her, hence never diddling her, hence never creating John Conner. stupid robots.

Crucifax Autumn
5/24/2009, 03:38 PM
I heard that show was friggin' expensive to produce, so it's highly unlikely that CW or Sci Fi (Scyfy? lulz) would pick it up, unless they re-tooled it so that there was less special effects and more storyline... probably would serve the series well. I stopped watching a few episodes into the new season when it seemed like they were going with the "new cyborg each week" formula. blehhh

I think it's funny that Night at the Museum is outperforming Terminator this weekend. Has anyone seen that one? Is it worthy of its own thread?

It really got on a roll the last 5-6 episodes and lef into a stunning conclusion. As for the expense, I'm not buying it. They had very few big time special effects and it was a pretty plot and character driven show with the exeption of a few episodes. Sci Fi could make it on the same budget as BSG or Stargate easily and Virgin 1 in Englad would probably gladly take up part of the cost since it is their number 1 show.

John Kochtoston
5/24/2009, 06:38 PM
Terminator Salvation ...

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g302/michellehijar/in-living-color.jpg

...hated it!

BudSooner
5/24/2009, 07:14 PM
Ive always wondered that too. Also, if the machines are so damn smart, why didnt they realize that if they never sent a machine back to kill sarah in the first place, Kyle never would have gone back to protect her, hence never diddling her, hence never creating John Conner. stupid robots.

Lmao, that too...good point.:D

Frozen Sooner
5/24/2009, 07:27 PM
Not

One

Redeeming

Quality.

That movie sucked rocks.

BudSooner
5/24/2009, 08:26 PM
Not

One

Redeeming

Quality.

That movie sucked rocks.
But, but...it has Blood Moongood...nevermind. You win, it was awful.

Frozen Sooner
5/24/2009, 08:35 PM
Heh. My date and I got a good chuckly out of Moon Bloodgod. Best action hero name ever.

BudSooner
5/24/2009, 09:27 PM
Heh. My date and I got a good chuckly out of Moon Bloodgod. Best action hero name ever.
I just had a thought, there was one redeeming quality, Anton Yelchin was good and moments there he was channeling Michael Biehn, even the talking thru clenched teeth.

But the bit with the identity saucer chasing them in a NEW Jeep was downright hokey.

"Kickass, I guess Judgement Day didn't stop Chrysler from making a new getaway vehicle for us huh?":D

BudSooner
5/24/2009, 09:39 PM
Trivia:O.J. Simpson was considered for the role of the Terminator, but the producers feared he was "too nice" to be taken seriously as a cold-blooded killer.

The beginning of production was postponed for nine months, due to Arnold Schwarzenegger (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000216/)'s commitment to Conan the Destroyer (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087078/) (1984). During this time, James Cameron (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000116/) wanted to be working but didn't have the time to do a whole other film so he took on a writing assignment; this turned out to be Aliens (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0090605/) (1986).

Near the beginning of the movie, when Sarah Connor (Linda Hamilton (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000157/)) receives a message on her answering machine breaking her date, the voice on the machine is James Cameron (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000116/)'s. Years later, Hamilton and Cameron got married and subsequently divorced.

Mel Gibson (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000154/) turned down the role of the Terminator.

Oh, and from the payback is a bitch department...

In the beginning of the movie, The Terminator drives over a toy semi truck..towards the end of the movie, The Terminator is run over by the same model of semi truck.

Boomer Mooner
5/24/2009, 11:09 PM
I saw it yesterday. Tons of action, but the kind you could sleep through if that makes sense. Waste of time and money in my opinion. But the popcorn was good.

John Kochtoston
5/24/2009, 11:17 PM
BTW, Christian Bale seems to have fewer redeeming qualities than this newest magnum opus. I've seen nothing he's been in that he's made better. Heath Ledger took him to the Actor's Studio in Batman Returns (though, I'll admit it's easier to work heel than it is to work face). And, he seems like a complete ****** bag, to boot. He's the poor man's Val Kilmer.

Frozen Sooner
5/24/2009, 11:22 PM
In the future, all toasters will have human hearts. Just in case. And those hearts will never need to be tested to ensure they are a match.

Frozen Sooner
5/24/2009, 11:22 PM
BTW, Christian Bale seems to have fewer redeeming qualities than this newest magnum opus. I've seen nothing he's been in that he's made better. Heath Ledger took him to the Actor's Studio in Batman Returns (though, I'll admit it's easier to work heel than it is to work face). And, he seems like a complete ****** bag, to boot. He's the poor man's Val Kilmer.

He did well in both The Prestige and The Machinist.

picasso
5/24/2009, 11:34 PM

dude, seriously? Val Kilmer? other than Tombstone he's been a washed up hack.
Bale may be an a-hole but he's a passionate one. Perhaps that's why he's so sought after.

John Kochtoston
5/24/2009, 11:56 PM
dude, seriously? Val Kilmer? other than Tombstone he's been a washed up hack.
Bale may be an a-hole but he's a passionate one. Perhaps that's why he's so sought after.

1) I'll admit to having not seen either The Prestige or The Machinist, so I'll concede that point for now, without arguing it.

2) Bale may not (yet) be washed up, but he's treading dangerously close to hack territory. Same as Kilmer (who at least has The Doors and Tombstone to fall back on).

Crucifax Autumn
5/25/2009, 12:40 AM
Screw all that...

Kilmer's greatest work is "Elvis in the mirror" in True Romance! lol

yermom
5/25/2009, 12:50 AM
Clarence I like you, always have, always will

Crucifax Autumn
5/25/2009, 12:54 AM
You got it man! I love that movie.

yermom
5/25/2009, 12:55 AM
very underrated

Crucifax Autumn
5/25/2009, 01:04 AM
Probably because of that immigrant Balki being in it! The intolerance of some people is amazing! lol

The only thing that would made that movie better woulda been if they had left the original Tarrantino jumping around in time script intact.

But almost everyone in the movie turned in a career performance. Gary Oldman, Chris Walken, and Dennis Hopper just to name a few.

The scene between Walken and Hopper is one of the most intense in cinematic history IMO.

yermom
5/25/2009, 02:07 AM
you even have Tony Soprano running around in that movie :D

Crucifax Autumn
5/25/2009, 02:17 AM
And he's friggin' great in that.

I love when whatserfug says "you look ridiculous" and the camera goes to him and yup...muy ridiculous!

BudSooner
5/25/2009, 06:27 AM
He did well in both The Prestige and The Machinist.
I would add to that, American Psycho..dude was bat**** crazy, wayyyy over the top.

badger
5/25/2009, 07:23 AM
You know what movie I want to see thanks to all of these sheetloads of trailers they show before each of these big ol' blockbusters?

Whatever the movie is where Quentin Tear-an-tino (no, I don't follow his work enough to know how to spell his name, heh) kills Nazis. I've watched the movie where Youtube rips off the angry Adolf scene for fans enraged at their team losing again... I've watched all the Indiana Jones movies... I've watched Schindler's List... dang it, we've seen the Nazi's kick everyone's arse too much! It's about d@mn time there's a movie where the Nazi's get their butt whipped!

(I mean, that IS how the war ended)

yermom
5/25/2009, 10:31 AM
Inglorious Basterds

i'm still waiting on a report from a buddy that should have seen it at Cannes

Crucifax Autumn
5/25/2009, 03:10 PM
I'm looking forward to it.

crawfish
5/25/2009, 03:20 PM
I enjoyed the heck out of it.

yermom
5/25/2009, 03:25 PM
Inglorious Basterds or True Romance?

soonerinabilene
5/31/2009, 06:42 PM
Just got back from seeing this. If you go in thinking it is going to be horrible because of what you read in this thread, you are going to come out very happy with what you saw. It was entertaining, lots of action, and the storyline wasnt bad at all. All in all, I wasnt let down. Pretty good.

badger
6/1/2009, 07:24 AM
I hope their worldwide box office returns are a lot better than their domestic returns... even Wolverine Origins is outperforming this one.

soonervegas
6/1/2009, 10:03 AM
I have went in with really low expectations on T:S and Wolverine.......and I ended up liking them both.

There are not even on the same planet as the blockbusters from last year, but I think my lowered expectations allowed me to enjoy them. Thank you SO....