PDA

View Full Version : Home Warranty Insurance

colleyvillesooner
5/21/2009, 10:45 PM
Next in line of the "Colley trying to buy a house" questions. For those keeping score at home, we went with USAA for the Home Owners insurance.

Who is a good Home Warranty Company? Do any offer coverage for "pre-existing" issues? It has a pool/spa, so i assume that will be extra.

American Home Shield's Flex plan was the only referral I've received so far.

TIA.

KC//CRIMSON
5/21/2009, 10:52 PM
Next in line of the "Colley trying to by a house" questions. For those keeping score at home, we went with USAA for the Home Owners insurance.

Who is a good Home Warranty Company? Do any offer coverage for "pre-existing" issues? It has a pool/spa, so i assume that will be extra.

American Home Shield's Flex plan was the only referral I've received so far.

TIA.

Are you in the process of buying the home now?

colleyvillesooner
5/21/2009, 10:53 PM
Yes, they are paying the first year of it, up to a certain dollar amount.

KC//CRIMSON
5/21/2009, 11:01 PM
Yes, they are paying the first year of it, up to a certain dollar amount.

That's great that they're showing an act of good faith by buying the warranty. The last two homes that I've bought, the previous owners went with a GE home warranty and it really came in handy a few times. I think you're going to be hard pressed trying to find any warranty that will cover pre-existing problems though. From what I understand, their almost non-existent.

colleyvillesooner
5/21/2009, 11:02 PM
That's what I figured. Thanks.

Frozen Sooner
5/21/2009, 11:19 PM
That's great that they're showing an act of good faith by buying the warranty. The last two homes that I've bought, the previous owners went with a GE home warranty and it really came in handy a few times. I think you're going to be hard pressed trying to find any warranty that will cover pre-existing problems though. From what I understand, their almost non-existent.

With good reason. Otherwise what's to keep you from buying a fixer-upper and sticking the warranty company with the renovations?

colleyvillesooner
5/21/2009, 11:22 PM
Underpants gnomes?

Frozen Sooner
5/21/2009, 11:33 PM
Heh.

1. Sell warranty
2. ?
3. PROFIT!

AlbqSooner
5/22/2009, 06:03 AM
The way those work is you get an inspection before closing. The certified home inspector makes a list of problems which the Contract probably says the seller will fix those problems up to a specified amount. Usually $500 - $1,000. The warranty insurance pays for OTHER problems that come up during the term of the coverage. If they are paying for it take it.

colleyvillesooner
5/22/2009, 07:26 AM
The way those work is you get an inspection before closing. The certified home inspector makes a list of problems which the Contract probably says the seller will fix those problems up to a specified amount. Usually $500 - $1,000. The warranty insurance pays for OTHER problems that come up during the term of the coverage. If they are paying for it take it.

Oh, we're taking it! :D

Yeah, we've already had the inspection. The seller is having people out to look at two problem areas and get estimates, and it's in the contract that they are replacing any window that has lost it's thermopane seal, which looks like it is most of them :D

BornandBred
5/22/2009, 07:51 AM
We use Old Republic. I haven't had any complaints, but fortunately, I haven't really had to use them. It's $60 a visit from the AC guy using warranty, which could be good or bad. I used them once, the AC bill was like $30, I didn't use them once, the bill was $150. Only thing I don't like is that they only do "emergency" service on the weekends, and THEY determine the emergent level of the problem. Ever had your AC go out over a 4 day Houston weekend in August? That is an emergency, but they didn't think so.

OUDoc
5/22/2009, 07:55 AM
We had that on the house we bought. One month in, the A/C went out. The guy the warranty company sent out said it was from not cleaning the coils, therefore neglect, therefore not covered. He was shocked (SHOCKED!) when we didn't use him to replace the A/C out of our own pockets (come to think of it, the home warranty company was equally shocked that we canceled their *** after that first year).

IMO, they are like any other extended warranty scam. Take it since the other people are buying it but don't extend it beyond that first year. They don't pay for ****.

Boomer.....
5/22/2009, 08:48 AM
I have used American Home Shield three times without any problems. The first contract they replaced the a/c unit without many questions. Haven't had too many other things replaced but have had check-ups. I would recommend them.

colleyvillesooner
5/22/2009, 01:30 PM
yeah, I figure we'll use it at their dime and evaluate in a year. Hopefully we don't have to use it.

trwxxa
5/22/2009, 07:27 PM
We purchased a 40 year old home back in 2003 and signed on with American Home Shield at that time. USAA was not offering then, but our mortgage company was. We had good luck for about 3 years, replacing a disposal, pool pump and heater motor.

We had some problems with AHS beginning in 2007. We had an AC issue in August of 2007 and called AHS. It was a Sunday and they said they would not send anyone out unless it was "life threatening". We decided to call an AC company directly. The first question the company asked was if we had a contract with AHS. When we said yes, they said they could not work on it unless we went through AHS. Thought that was odd, but I told them we would not file a claim with AHS if they came out to take a look and fix the problem. Luckily, it was a minor problem.

Last summer, we had another problem with the AC. AHS sent out one of their AC vendors who took one look in the attic, said the unit was improperly installed, took my $59 for the service call and left. AHS called shortly thereafter and denied the claim based on the technicians report. I told them this was B.S. and had the inspectors report from when we purchased the home to prove this. They still denied the claim. Unfortunately, the repair cost us quite a bit out of pocket.

After that incident, we read several articles on how AHS was denying more "big ticket" claims because of "improper installation" or "owner neglect". In addition, many of the service companies AHS has under contract are start up companies that are looking to AHS to build up their business and the technicians they send may not be very well qualified. When our renewal came up at the end of last year, we chose to drop the coverage.

You certainly have nothing to lose with USAA picking up the tab. Keep your inspection report handy. It did not help me since my AC issue was in the summer and I did not want to go without AC while fighting with AHS, but it should help if you have time to fight.

colleyvillesooner
5/22/2009, 07:35 PM
USAA is not picking up the first year, the seller is. Sorry if I made that confusing.

That's what I've heard about AHS, is a recent downturn in customer service.

Did just get a bit of good news, the Seller is purchasing a new heating unit. I just hope he gets one that is big enough to cover the square footage. Am I at the mercy of the AC people recommending the right unit, or am I helpless if what he chooses? Hopefully the Tax credit he'll get will entice him to get a decent one.

OUDoc
5/22/2009, 09:29 PM
AHS were the buttcheeks we had.
Avoid them.

colleyvillesooner
5/22/2009, 10:18 PM
That pretty much seems the case with every company I research.

stoops the eternal pimp
5/22/2009, 11:41 PM
We have had AHS for about 2 years....been good so far...