PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever wonder what Ryan Leaf is up to?...here ya go

OU-HSV
5/21/2009, 08:42 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4196444
So this is what happens to the biggest busts in the world of the NFL. What a loser.

Report: Leaf indicted on felony charges

Former NFL quarterback Ryan Leaf was indicted Wednesday by a grand jury in Randall County, Texas, a television station in San Diego reported on Thursday.

Leaf, a former top pick by the San Diego Chargers, was indicted on seven counts of obtaining a controlled substance by fraud, one count of delivery of a simulated controlled substance, and one count of burglary of a habitation, according to court records.

If convicted, the burglary charge carries a sentence of two to 20 years. The other counts could carry up to a two-year sentence in a state jail each, according to court records.

The Chargers chose Leaf out of Washington State with the second overall pick in the 1998 NFL Draft. He played in the NFL from 1998 to 2001.

He most recently coached football and golf at West Texas A&M University. He resigned after acknowledging he had asked a West Texas A&M player for a pill to help him deal with lingering pain from an injury Leaf had sustained during his NFL playing days, ESPN reported in November 2008.

JLEW1818
5/21/2009, 09:00 PM
I hate him

Curly Bill
5/21/2009, 09:31 PM
I don't hate the guy, but what a waste of a talent...

...or is it that he didn't have the talent that was ascribed to him to begin with?

OU-HSV
5/21/2009, 10:11 PM
I don't hate the guy, but what a waste of a talent...

...or is it that he didn't have the talent that was ascribed to him to begin with?

Ding, Ding, Ding :pop:

badger
5/22/2009, 07:49 AM
And in other Washington State (Wazzu, if you would) news, they are nowhere near the Rose Bowl that they played against us in 2003, while we are competing for the national title :D

King Crimson
5/22/2009, 08:02 AM
delivery of a simulated controlled substance is what? selling oregano instead of marijuana?

he was really good in college. after that, deep end.

RedstickSooner
5/22/2009, 12:39 PM
delivery of a simulated controlled substance is what? selling oregano instead of marijuana?

he was really good in college. after that, deep end.

Actually, I believe it means that he accepted a package which the po-po had already intercepted. They remove the contraband, and then usually put a simulated substance in place to fool the recipient. If he then proceeded to deliver the package to some other ne'erdowell, that'd be the delivery charge.

Kinda fruity to make it a crime to deliver a pretend drug, but guess if we want to argue the merits of the Great Drug War, it should be in the South Oval.

And this, kids, is why you *never* sign for a package containing drugs. Just get the package delivered to your neighbor's house, and remove it from their mailbox before they get home. That's how the cool kids do it.

RedstickSooner
5/22/2009, 01:12 PM
Nope, I'm totally wrong -- found a full-length version of the story, and apparently it's just what it sounds like. He gave someone something he claimed was hydrocodone (vicodin), but it wasn't.

I didn't know that was its own crime, to be honest. I thought that'd just be, like, some kinda generic fraud. Weird that it has earned its own criminal description, I think.

Anyway, fairly pathetic any way you look at it. He even broke into some dude's apartment to steal the pills.

Scott D
5/22/2009, 02:02 PM
Nope, I'm totally wrong -- found a full-length version of the story, and apparently it's just what it sounds like. He gave someone something he claimed was hydrocodone (vicodin), but it wasn't.

I didn't know that was its own crime, to be honest. I thought that'd just be, like, some kinda generic fraud. Weird that it has earned its own criminal description, I think.

Anyway, fairly pathetic any way you look at it. He even broke into some dude's apartment to steal the pills.

has a lot to do with the "street popularity" of Vicodin. In some places people get a script for it, then turn about and sell the pills for $8 a pill.

Technically you would be breaking the law if you gave your wife a Vicodin for back pain if it's prescribed to you.

badger
5/22/2009, 03:02 PM
The NFL signing bonus money's all dried up. He's gotta make a living somehow. The NFL pension cash doesn't start flowing till he's in his 50s, I think.

tulsaoilerfan
5/22/2009, 05:51 PM
The NFL signing bonus money's all dried up. He's gotta make a living somehow. The NFL pension cash doesn't start flowing till he's in his 50s, I think.

Did he play long enough to get a pension? :D

RedstickSooner
5/22/2009, 05:52 PM
has a lot to do with the "street popularity" of Vicodin. In some places people get a script for it, then turn about and sell the pills for $8 a pill.

Technically you would be breaking the law if you gave your wife a Vicodin for back pain if it's prescribed to you.

Man, kids these days. Whatever happened to good, old-fashioned heroin?

Scott D
5/23/2009, 12:50 AM
probably the fact that it's easier to get prescription drugs than it is to get heroin.

They busted an oxycontin ring up here a month or so ago. Even went so far as having a 'legitimate' doctor writing scrips for it, for 3 to 7 individuals who were going to a few pharmacies to get them filled. They were then reselling the pills on the street for 2x face value per pill.

soonerfan28
5/23/2009, 05:14 PM
No, not really.

soonerinkeywest
5/24/2009, 09:19 AM
"Knock it off"!!lol