PDA

View Full Version : Toby Keith to the rescue

Okla-homey
5/21/2009, 04:18 PM
A certain person, known to Mrs. Homey, is closely affiliated with the folks of Wayman's Tulsa church.

According to this person, the BOk Center folks asked who was paying the $35,000 fee on the public Tisdale memorial service held there today.

Apparently, Toby called Her Honor the Mayor and told her, "Look ma'am, we could have done this at the Noble Center for free, but Wayman loved Tulsa and chose to make Tulsa his home. Therefore, you need to make some calls on this bill from the BOk. I'll pay the money if necessary, but let's get with the program ma'am."

No mention of whether he threatened to "put a boot up," etc.

Also apparently, BOk backed off.

BornandBred
5/21/2009, 04:20 PM
At first glance, I thought this had to do with the anal bleaching.

Good stuff otherwise.

Mjcpr
5/21/2009, 07:46 PM
I believe the fee for private use of the BOK Center is $15,000 but I can't speak to the rest of it except that I've always thought Toby Keith was a stand up guy for our state and our country.

King Crimson
5/21/2009, 07:57 PM
weak sauce from the BOK people. this also Homey's way of saying he actually knows (indirectly) a black person. ;)

this kind of thing, the people who do security, parking and clean the toilets and whatnot get paid...but it shouldn't cost more than that....which isn't 30,000 for a couple hours on one day.

Mjcpr
5/22/2009, 08:36 AM
Donations power arena for funeral

[/URL]Considering that the BOK Center has a $1.5 million annual utility bill, lighting and cooling the arena is an expensive endeavor.

Donors made it possible for Thursday's Wayman Tisdale funeral to be conducted at the BOK Center at no cost to the Tisdale family or the city of Tulsa. The donations came both from individuals and corporate entities.

"Several donors stepped forward and made donations through (the Wayman Tisdale Foundation). It will cover any of our expenses," said John Bolton, the BOK Center general manager. "We hope to just cover our costs, and we feel comfortable that the donations will make it possible."

After Tisdale died the morning of May 15, a family representative contacted city officials about using the new arena as the funeral venue. By that night, it had been decided that the service would be in the BOK Center.

[url]http://www.tulsaworld.com/sports/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20090522_29_B6_Consid611727&archive=yes (http://www.tulsaworld.com/site/authors.aspx?a=BILL-HAISTEN,--)

badger
5/22/2009, 08:57 AM
The BOK Center has been acting funny since opening. They have had several events where they had poor crowd management (I can't remember who performed, I think it was Metallica, but people were lined up for hours outside waiting to get in because the BOK Center could get them in fast enough).

Then, the Tulsa Police Department made it known that they were logging extra overtime hours to keep the BOK Center area safe and needed money to fund it. The suggestion of adding a fee to BOK Center tix appalled the arena folk, as they thought it would distance promoters.

The center also has an eyesore of a problem on it's exterior that makes it look like it's rusting... it's not rust, but just ugly.

One of the funniest mishaps was one of the local minor league teams having to move one of its events so the mayor's daughter could have her wedding reception at the center... which when it was about to become public, the mayor's office suddenly changed their minds about which venue to have it at.

Something funny it going on with Tulsa leadership and the BOK Center... and it will likely continue with ONEOK Park (aka "new" Drillers Stadium) opens next spring.

OU4LIFE
5/22/2009, 08:59 AM
I believe the fee for private use of the BOK Center is $15,000 but I can't speak to the rest of it except that I've always thought Toby Keith was a stand up guy for our state and our country.

Hey you, pipe down. Back to your cubicle.

TheHumanAlphabet
5/22/2009, 09:08 AM
OKC > Tulsa

;)

Dio
5/22/2009, 09:24 AM
The BOK Center has been acting funny since opening. They have had several events where they had poor crowd management (I can't remember who performed, I think it was Metallica, but people were lined up for hours outside waiting to get in because the BOK Center could get them in fast enough).

It was Metallica. Fortunately, we had provisions, and room to set up lawn chairs in the parking garage.

Mjcpr
5/22/2009, 09:27 AM
Hey you, pipe down. Back to your cubicle.

I am out of my cubicle today. :D

walkoffsooner
5/22/2009, 09:32 AM
Tob Keith and 35000 thats like me stopping and buying a hamburger.

Mjcpr
5/22/2009, 09:33 AM
One of the funniest mishaps was one of the local minor league teams having to move one of its events so the mayor's daughter could have her wedding reception at the center... which when it was about to become public, the mayor's office suddenly changed their minds about which venue to have it at.

:rolleyes:

The Mayor's "office" had nothing to do with it. It was the Mayor herself that was going to lease/rent the BOK Center for her daughter's wedding, paid for from her own deep pockets. When the apparent conflict with the Talons game or whatever became known, they changed the venue for the wedding. There is no more to it than that.

The police department issue is because all City departments are struggling along with the economy and the accompanying sagging sales tax which funds the police and most everything else.

ONEOK Field is owned and operated by a public trust, not the Mayor or City, per se.

I don't know anything about the Metallica concert but they've been able to herd folks in just fine for more heavily attended events than Metallica AFAIK.

Outside of that, you were spot on.

OU4LIFE
5/22/2009, 09:37 AM
I am out of my cubicle today. :D

did I say cubicle? I meant 'closet'

Mjcpr
5/22/2009, 09:39 AM
did I say cubicle? I meant 'closet'

I've been out of there for years!

BornandBred
5/22/2009, 09:44 AM
This is kinda off topic, but illustrates that this is not uncommon for Toby.

I had a neighbor in Norman who was elderly but her middle aged daughter would come by frequently and help her out with stuff. The daughter worked for Toby in some fashion or another. She also drove a brand new F-250.

Well, turns out this truck was a lemon. She'd had them put like 3 separate transmissions in the truck among other things. Well, the dealer started giving her crap. Toby stepped in and being their spokesman, laid it down on the dealer. She ended up with a completely new, UPGRADED F-250. As irritating as I find his music, he seems like a good guy.

King Crimson
5/22/2009, 09:49 AM
As irritating as I find his music, he seems like a good guy.

me too. i'm not big fan of the newish country scene. it's like bad "rock" lite to me with a pedal steel and some beer and lost girl lyrics to me.

but, i have no problem with Toby outside he kinda ruined the Belmar golf course.

BornandBred
5/22/2009, 09:50 AM
What'd he do to Belmar?

King Crimson
5/22/2009, 09:52 AM
What'd he do to Belmar?

bought it with a group, build a lot of houses on the course, chopped down all the knee deep "natural grasses" to keep Joe shoot 100 happy.

it was a good play when it was just out in the open land and tall grass. now, it's just like any place else. a lesser version of Gallardia.

badger
5/22/2009, 09:54 AM

I used those as examples of questionable things surrounding the management of the BOK Center that I think will continue when ONEOK Park opens. The minor details don't matter on those issues, what matters is that these might be hints of stuff to come surrounding management of major Tulsa venues.

Oh... and kudos to Keith for making this happen, not that anyone in Tulsa wouldn't let it happen regardless :D

BornandBred
5/22/2009, 10:00 AM
bought it with a group, build a lot of houses on the course, chopped down all the knee deep "natural grasses" to keep Joe shoot 100 happy.

it was a good play when it was just out in the open land and tall grass. now, it's just like any place else. a lesser version of Gallardia.

Didn't know they cut down all the natural grasses. That makes me sad. Though, it'd prolly help my score. Drop one in that rough and it's gone.

King Crimson
5/22/2009, 10:03 AM
Didn't know they cut down all the natural grasses. That makes me sad. Though, it'd prolly help my score. Drop one in that rough and it's gone.

sure, me too. but it's too bad.

Sooner04
5/22/2009, 10:04 AM
but, i have no problem with Toby outside he kinda ruined the Belmar golf course.
Kinda? That place was Oakmont-lite when they first built it. If the wind was at 20, which was often, it was a monster. I loved it. LOVED it.

And yeah, he completely ruined it.

But he's a good guy. He's done a lot of nice stuff for a lot of good people. And his restaurant makes a surprisingly solid french dip.

Mjcpr
5/22/2009, 10:07 AM
I used those as examples of questionable things surrounding the management of the BOK Center that I think will continue when ONEOK Park opens. The minor details don't matter on those issues, what matters is that these might be hints of stuff to come surrounding management of major Tulsa venues.

Oh... and kudos to Keith for making this happen, not that anyone in Tulsa wouldn't let it happen regardless :D

Heh. Minor details.

King Crimson
5/22/2009, 10:07 AM
Kinda? That place was Oakmont-lite when they first built it. If the wind was at 20, which was often, it was a monster. I loved it. LOVED it.

And yeah, he completely ruined it.

But he's a good guy. He's done a lot of nice stuff for a lot of good people. And his restaurant makes a surprisingly solid french dip.

Belmar was real golf back then.

OU4LIFE
5/22/2009, 10:58 AM
easier does not mean better. Neither does harder where golf is concerned.

Karsten last week was just stupid....7,400+ and wet to the point of plugging in nearly every fairway. No need to move those tees up or anything...and with greens stimping at 12.5. I mean seriously, when the home team, which is really good on top of being the home team, shoots over par...it's kinda dumb.

this whole thing with golf courses being hard to play just for the sake of being 'tough' is silly.

Sooner04
5/22/2009, 11:13 AM
It wasn't tricked up tough. It was tough because it was at the mercy of the wind. The native grasses weren't a foot off the fairway......you had to be really off line to hit them.

It was a refreshing course. I don't know of any that were like it around here when it was built.

picasso
5/24/2009, 10:57 PM
I played Belmar back in '04 and didn't think it was tough at all. and I suck.

StoopTroup
5/25/2009, 08:55 PM

The Mayor's "office" had nothing to do with it. It was the Mayor herself that was going to lease/rent the BOK Center for her daughter's wedding, paid for from her own deep pockets. When the apparent conflict with the Talons game or whatever became known, they changed the venue for the wedding. There is no more to it than that.

The police department issue is because all City departments are struggling along with the economy and the accompanying sagging sales tax which funds the police and most everything else.

ONEOK Field is owned and operated by a public trust, not the Mayor or City, per se.

I don't know anything about the Metallica concert but they've been able to herd folks in just fine for more heavily attended events than Metallica AFAIK.

Yeah the Mayor is pure as the driven snow...

Here's a link to some KOTV Videos on the matter of the Ballpark.

http://www.newson6.com/Global/category.asp?C=121535&nav=menu682_4

Type in "Oneok Ballpark" in the search bar and watch the three videos that come up.

Quite a bit stinks down there IMO. I'm sure if your for the Park being built just as Former Mayor Bill LaFortune was about the BOK Center...you'll view any of these issues as a positive move towards improving the area. But just as Mark Price of The Better Price Warehouse states....The City has done very little in the way of improving the area for long time property owners down there and yet The City Counsel and Mayor Taylor now think they should stow it and finally allow the needed progress that has been needed there for years. Add Mayor Taylor puffing up and nearly in tears about "the people of the area bickering and pulling each other down". When she and The Tulsa Development Authority suddenly "wanted to take a step back" and reassess the needs for the area leaving a small developer in the dust, it sure seems they had little remorse in pulling the plug on those folks.

I'm OK with them all stepping on little people's spines down there in the name of progress as long as everyone who is involved gets treated as nice as Bill LaFortune did for his role in doing the exact same thing they are doing.

I hope she runs for Mayor again. I'm going to work very hard for whoever the strongest front runner is that can oust her.

Collier11
5/25/2009, 10:06 PM
Tob Keith and 35000 thats like me stopping and buying a hamburger.

more like the equivalent of toby keith buying a hamburger off of the dollar menu

not a big Metallica fan but im pretty sure that the concert was capacity, not sure how you can have a bigger crowd than that?

Yeah the Mayor is pure as the driven snow...

Here's a link to some KOTV Videos on the matter of the Ballpark.

http://www.newson6.com/Global/category.asp?C=121535&nav=menu682_4

Type in "Oneok Ballpark" in the search bar and watch the three videos that come up.

Quite a bit stinks down there IMO. I'm sure if your for the Park being built just as Former Mayor Bill LaFortune was about the BOK Center...you'll view any of these issues as a positive move towards improving the area. But just as Mark Price of The Better Price Warehouse states....The City has done very little in the way of improving the area for long time property owners down there and yet The City Counsel and Mayor Taylor now think they should stow it and finally allow the needed progress that has been needed there for years. Add Mayor Taylor puffing up and nearly in tears about "the people of the area bickering and pulling each other down". When she and The Tulsa Development Authority suddenly "wanted to take a step back" and reassess the needs for the area leaving a small developer in the dust, it sure seems they had little remorse in pulling the plug on those folks.

I'm OK with them all stepping on little people's spines down there in the name of progress as long as everyone who is involved gets treated as nice as Bill LaFortune did for his role in doing the exact same thing they are doing.

I hope she runs for Mayor again. I'm going to work very hard for whoever the strongest front runner is that can oust her.

Facts dont count if it hurts ppls feelings

Sooner in Tampa
5/26/2009, 06:11 PM
I have never really understood all the vile directed at Toby...I mean, hell, he keeps a buttload of money in the state, still calls it home instead of Nashville, GIVES HIS MONEY to people less fortunate, and MOST OF ALL, HE LOVES OU!!!!

Who cares if you like his music?

Collier11
5/26/2009, 08:00 PM
and he will put a boot in your ***, its the American way

Soonerus
5/26/2009, 08:41 PM
Toby has vastly improved Belmar...a big time clubhouse now, covered the pavillion area, very nice locker rooms, new driving range and 4 hole course for kids,nice pool area and constantly improving the actual course....the deep grass was cut because so many people bitched about losing a dozen balls per round...and...btw, the best fireworks display on July 4th of any !!!

Crucifax Autumn
5/28/2009, 01:45 AM
I'd say ours here in Vegas is damn near unbeatable and the one on New Year is even cooler.

Lott's Bandana
5/28/2009, 09:46 AM
I'd say ours here in Vegas is damn near unbeatable and the one on New Year is even cooler.

For a while there, Baghdad had ya...

OU4LIFE
5/28/2009, 09:57 AM
I suck.

I concur.

OU4LIFE
5/28/2009, 09:57 AM
that means I agree with you, Pic....

OU4LIFE
5/28/2009, 10:00 AM
sorry to obnubilate you.

NormanPride
5/28/2009, 10:57 AM
I had begun to get sick of Mr. Keith, but this is refreshing. Good on yer, Toby.