PDA

View Full Version : Soonerhubler M. S. Human Development and Family Science

soonerhubs
5/20/2009, 06:56 PM
I know it's an OSU degree, but I couldn't be more happy. I begin the PhD program this June. I love learning!

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
5/20/2009, 07:00 PM
Marriage Counseling?(Congrats!)

King Crimson
5/20/2009, 07:01 PM
not taking much time to rest on yer laurels?

i'm still a big fan of the PhD program i was in....and it's nice to be taken (somewhat) seriously by faculty and such which usually comes as part of that step up from the masters.

congrats hubler.

royalfan5
5/20/2009, 07:18 PM
Congrats.

soonerhubs
5/20/2009, 07:24 PM
Marriage Counseling?(Congrats!)

No, I'm taking the research route. I admire therapists, but I do not envy them. I'm actually currently working on research with the Oklahoma Marriage Initiative.

Thanks all for the congrats!

AlbqSooner
5/20/2009, 07:30 PM
M.S. ??

Is that Master Soonerhubler?

olevetonahill
5/20/2009, 07:31 PM
Grats Bro

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
5/20/2009, 07:32 PM
research with the Oklahoma Marriage Initiative.

Care to talk about it?

SoonerProphet
5/20/2009, 07:32 PM
Congrats...when can we call you Dr. Hubler.

soonerhubs
5/20/2009, 07:48 PM
Care to talk about it?
Where do I start? At the moment we finished collecting data for part of a study where couples came in to discuss the pros and cons of marriage education as well as a couple other conversations.
- We hooked them up to equipment measuring physiological variables including heart rate, skin conductance, and respiratory rates. We also collected 6 saliva samples to compare cortisol levels based on different parts of the study.
- We also had them fill out surveys including the Deragotis Stress Profile, and other couple's assessments.
- We also gathered self-reported affect measures based on each partner's continuous rating using video and rating software. This was similar to affect ratings used by Gottman and his colleagues throughout the 80s and 90s.
- I based my Thesis off of this data looking at a possible association between couple income and affect. Not many significant results were found, but it was based a a sample size of 41 couples (some of which were not married, but were just dating or boyfriend/girlfriend). We just finished with a sample size of 100 couples, so we are going to clean up the data and run the tests controlling for married versus unmarried folks. The underlying rationale is that married/engaged/living together couples are more attuned and sensitive to financial stressors than are couples who are merely dating.

- Another research question that I may explore and construct a model based on involves the reasons why divorce rates are high in Oklahoma (a highly religious state) while divorce rates are lower in Massachusetts (which is considered a less religious state) [note to Okies and Massies, I mean no offense, I'm just reporting data]
--> I'm looking to design research exploring what some of the underlying mechanisms could be (including age at marriage, education levels, degree/type of religiosity, etc).
* For instance, I want to see if education levels are higher in other states with lower divorce rates and try to construct a variable based on the concept of "perseverance".

In the mean time, I'm currently collecting data in the Oklahoma City middle schools reading surveys to seventh graders. It's for another study regarding the prediction of drop out rates. (Dear Middle School teachers in OKC, I have much more respect for you after this past week. You have the patience of Job.)

- I could go on, but I'll stop for now. Academia is so much fun!

Congrats...when can we call you Dr. Hubler.
3-4 years, hopefully. I'm brainstorming dissertation topics as we speak.