PDA

View Full Version : LA Clippers.

soonerfan28
5/20/2009, 06:10 PM
This is the starting lineup for the LA Clippers or at least it was for 16 games and that was the most consistent it got.

C- Marcus Camby 10.3 pts 11.1 Rbs (62 games)
PF- Zach Randolph 20.9 pts 9.4 Rbs (39 games)
SF- Al Thorton 16.8 pts 5.2 rbs (71 games)
SG- Baron Davis 14.9 pts 7.7 ast (65 games)
PG- Eric Gordon 16.1 pts 2.8 ast (65 games)

They also have Chris Kaman and DeAndre Jordan. I don't know how they plan to get there moneys worth out of all the post players they have but it would seem like to me that they should go w/a player like Rubio because they could use more help at the guard position then the post. I know that Blake is #1 and in any other draft half of the projected top 10 wouldn't be in the top 15. However Dunleavy has been quoted as saying "This guy is the No. 1 pick. We're extremely excited. He's the guy." In reference to Blake.

JLEW1818
5/20/2009, 08:42 PM
yep. Baron Davis and Griffin should be good together. They were doggin him on espn today, saying he was only 6'8 1/2 .

King Crimson
5/20/2009, 09:04 PM
having watched Camby in Denver for 3-4 years (his best as a pro)...there's nothing he does that makes him worth the horrible shots he takes. he thinks he's got a top of the key stroke type range. he's a good guy apparently, but he's making too much money wherever he is.

picasso
5/20/2009, 11:14 PM
yep. Baron Davis and Griffin should be good together. They were doggin him on espn today, saying he was only 6'8 1/2 .

of course he's not 6'10". but he might play bigger than that.

and thanks again to Doug Gottlieb for pointing that out every 5 minutes this past season.:rolleyes:

SbOrOiNaEnR
5/21/2009, 08:31 AM
Clippers' Web site (http://www.nba.com/clippers/tickets/draftpack0910.html) has the Blake Griffin "You just got F'd in the A" picture on their home page advertising 2009-2010 season ticket packages. Of course, Ricky Rubio is on there too, so I guess you can't be 100% positive.

soonerfan28
5/21/2009, 09:35 AM
Dunleavy was in Spain watching Rubio when he got the news that they had gotten the 1st pick in the draft and w/an $8,000,000 buyout in Rubio's contract and a rule that only allows NBA teams to put $500,000 towards a buyout I would say they'll probably take Griffin.

From ESPN this morning.

3. Oklahoma City Thunder

If the pick is Thabeet, then it's no worries for the Thunder. They would get the shot-blocking big man they were looking for when they made the revoked Tyson Chandler trade in February.

If it's Rubio, things get a lot trickier. Oklahoma City already has Westbrook at the point, and he had an exceptional rookie season considering his youth and inexperience at the position. It's not as simple as moving Westbrook to the 2, either. He has the size to play there, but he's not a good shooter. Since Rubio is a lousy shooter too, it would invite opponents to double- and triple-team Kevin Durant while sagging way off the Thunder's guards.

Yet the Thunder don't seem anxious to trade Westbrook either, not after the season he had as a rookie, and not when his aggressive mentality seems to be exactly what the team was looking for as the yin to Durant's laid-back yang.

So we need to at least ask the question: Would Oklahoma City trade down a spot with Sacramento? The Kings are dying to get Rubio, while at No. 4 the Thunder could snag a much-needed wing sniper like James Harden and earn a few other goodies in the process. As enticement, Sacramento could offer its No. 23 pick and/or Spencer Hawes, or agree to swap Jason Thompson for Thabo Sefolosha.

PDXsooner
5/21/2009, 01:56 PM
my biggest concern is how Blake will respond when being surrounded by such COMPLETE IDIOTS as Zach Randolph and Ricky Davis, two of the most worthless people in the NBA.

Sounds like Griffin is pretty well grounded though. Hopefully he'll resist the 'NBA Culture' as much as possible. You won't be able to tell if he's successfully resisted it until about his 2nd or 3rd year. Many a well-spoken, grounded rookie fall prey to the life of thugery, self-entitlement and spoiled recklesness.

sooner94
5/21/2009, 11:09 PM
my biggest concern is how Blake will respond when being surrounded by such COMPLETE IDIOTS as Zach Randolph and Ricky Davis, two of the most worthless people in the NBA.

Sounds like Griffin is pretty well grounded though. Hopefully he'll resist the 'NBA Culture' as much as possible. You won't be able to tell if he's successfully resisted it until about his 2nd or 3rd year. Many a well-spoken, grounded rookie fall prey to the life of thugery, self-entitlement and spoiled recklesness.

I was REALLY disappointed when the Clippers won the lottery.

Good point above. Would be nice if there were some good character guys for Blake to play with.

But my biggest concern is how the Clippers organization has ruined the careers of so many promising players. Donald Sterling (the owner) is the Al Davis of the NBA. He is a complete wierdo and the organization has a loser mentality.

They play in the shadow of the Lakers and get second rate treatment at the Staples Center (the Laker deal with the Staples Center is MUCH more lucrative than the Clipper deal).

I really hope OKC can pull a miracle and work a deal with the Clippers.

badger
5/22/2009, 07:29 AM
I just got my ESPN Mag a few days ago in the mail and finally flipped through it... there's a lengthy article (actually there's two, but the other's on the misfortune of the Pittsburgh Pirates) on the misfortune of the Clippers and their miserly owner behind the organization.

To sum things up, he's a racist, he's only out to make money, but is the first to complain when his team doesn't win despite the fact that he doesn't like to spend money on free agents and that's why he's been in 20 of the first 25 NBA lotteries.

We may have to wait four years (the length of rookie contracts) to get Blake to come home, but something tells me he will be more than ready to leave when that time comes.

If there's anything positive to be said, I'm sure this rich a$$hole is just like all the other rich a$$holes who own pro sports teams, it's just that his a$$holery is more public than other's a$$holery... well, 'cept for Mark Cuban. His a$$holery is quite well-publicized.

sooner94
5/22/2009, 10:50 AM
Badger- What was written in that ESPN mag article has been known in LA for years. I lived out there for about 7 years, and at least once a year the LA Times would write a piece about Sterling's idiotic and bizarre behavior.

That is why on the rare occasion the Clippers do draft a guy that becomes a good player, they leave when their initial contract is up.

sooner94
5/22/2009, 10:52 AM
I liked how ESPN mag called out Sterling for buying full page ads in the LA Times to congratulate himself. I remember seeing those adds once a month.

Who does that? Seriously?

Freaking wacko.

badger
5/22/2009, 11:00 AM
I don't follow the Clips, so I was unaware of the ownership situation and such... when I saw that LAC got the No. 1 pick, I was slightly worried, knowing the track record of that franchise recently (they had announced previously that night that LAC had 20 lottery years in the 25 seasons of the lottery).

So, again, not knowing the ownership situation and trying to stay positive, I was thinking "Well, Blake's a good guy, he'll be all like 'I want to help turn this franchise around' and be a good thing for a struggling organization."

After reading more on the miser behind the Clips, I doubt this organization can be turned around, unless the owner's willing to make a commitment. I wonder if Blake qualifies as a so-called "poor black boy" in the miser's eyes? Blake deserves so much better :(

EDIT: Here' (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4187729)s the article so you all can groan with me :(

SteelClip49
5/22/2009, 11:19 AM
The Clippers are NOW a power to be reckoned with and you will all see the greatness that becomes of them. Yes, the Clippers have an idiot owner and a sappy coach in Dunleavy but Dunleavy has a decent resume and I think Clipper Nation is in for a real treat!

All hail the Los Angeles Clippers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

boomersooner28
5/22/2009, 12:09 PM
All I know is that we have Sam Presti. Presti built the San Antonio Spurs. Presti has A LOT of options to work with in OKC. He is probably licking his chops as we speak. We hired him for this exact reason and I trust him to make the correct decisions. All of the "expert analysis and predictions" are already getting old.

Oh, wait. This is a thread about the LA Clippers. They suck. Poor Blake.

the_ouskull
5/22/2009, 12:26 PM
My take on Blake's, uh... "situation" is as follows. As always, feel free to disagree and be wrong. :D

-----

Blake is screwed. The Los Angeles Clipper franchise is horrible now, and has been horrible for a long, long time. Management is a large, large part of that reason.

First of all, since becoming the L.A. Clippers, their best record is a 47-win season four years ago. The only two players that remain from that team are Chris Kaman, and Sam Cassell, who doesn't even play anymore. In fact, other than Blake, Sam Cassell might be the Clippers number one asset right now, assuming that Sterling pulls his head out of his *ss anytime soon, fires Dumbleavy, and hires Sam-I-Am as the head coach. Since THAT won't happen, sadly... the Clips' assets, in order, are:

- The rights to the #1 pick in the 2009 NBA draft
- Sam Cassell, potential head coach
- Baron Davis, motivated
- Marcus Camby's expiring contract
- Eric Gordon
- Al Thornton
- Baron Davis, normally
- Deandre Jordan

Needless to say, this isn't a good situation for ANY player to walk into. Another look at the roster reveals even more problems...

There are a total of two players on their roster that would be considered "decent" defenders by NBA standards. (Spare me the, "Nobody plays defense in the NBA," crap, too. Ever considered that most of the players in the league are so skilled offensively that, to your untrained eyes, it just looks like nobody's playing defense...? Hmmm...) Anyway, nobody else on the Clips really cares much about defense... so Blake's bound to have trouble staying on the floor when he starts doing what he'll do, and try to do too much.

-----

Their draft history is a lesson in "How Not to Do Things." I will back up 20 years, just to be safe...

Danny Ferry. Bo Kimble. Lamond Murray. Antonio McDyess. Lorenzen Wright. Michael Olowokandi. Lamar Odom. Darius Miles. Tyson Chandler. Chris Wilcox. Chris Kaman. Shaun Livingston. Eric Gordon.

Those are their Top-10 draft picks since 1989. First of all, notice that, since 1989, they've had 13 picks in the Top 10. Second, notice that, of those Top 10 picks, only two are still with the team. If the Chandler trade had gone through, then more of the Clips picks would have played for the Thunder this season than have played for the Clips. Sadness, thy name is Clipper. Another thing to notice about those picks is that, with the (potential) exception of Gordon, the recent exception of Odom, and maybe half of another one or two, none of them are any good. The Clippers don't do draft good. I'd be scared for them to take Blake much in the same way that I'd be scared to see A.D. on the cover of Madden in the near future.

-----

Zach Randolph.
Eddie Curry.
Ricky Davis.
Baron Davis.
Marcus Camby.

What do all of these players have in common? They're all talented players that teams were willing to get rid of, or let go, for next to nothing in return. (Except for Davis, who only came to L.A. 'cause Elton Brand was there. Elton, the piece of Duke that he is, then promptly bolted for Philly. Nice.)

Four of them also have in common playing for the Clippers. Randolph is the biggest piece of sh*t in the league, in my humble opinion, 'cause, offensively, he's got all of the talent in the world. He's a GREAT guy to have on a fantasy team. Sadly, he's a horrible guy to have on a real team, 'cause, even though he's a 20/10 guy who will shoot around/above 50%, he plays zero defense, and he's a locker room cancer.

He plays the same position as Blake.

Unless the Clips plan on trading Randolph, and his $33 million he's due over the next two seasons (yeah, good f*ckin' luck with that) then we can expect to hear stories of a "locker room divided," etc... pretty much the second that they take Blake.

-----

Baron Davis.
Eric Gordon.
Al Thornton.
Blake Griffin.
Chris Kaman.

That's a playoff starting lineup. (In the West, they're a lower seed, but still...) But, sadly, the bench still has to see SOME time on the court... especially considering the injury histories of Davis and Kaman...

Is Camby going to be cool with coming off of the bench? Is Ricky Davis going to be his typical, "I'm the best, I'll jack up the shots to prove it," self? The lineup I just listed is the best starting lineup for this team to move forward into the future... What's more likely, then, with Dumbleavy coaching this squad, would be this...

Davis.
Gordon.
Jordan.
Randolph.
Camby.

Griffin, Kaman, Thornton coming off of the bench would make this team a lot deeper, but, with only Thornton being a decent defender (Blake's unproven) in the league at this point, they're not going to be able to cut into the lead that the other team will have built up by this point with the human turnstiles of Davis and Randolph out there. Ditto for Camby, since, since he left Denver and got old, he's settling for jumpers instead of playing close to the basket... on BOTH ends...

-----

As long as Mike Dunleavy is the head "coach" of the Clippers, they're going to suck. In fact, Clippers fans called into their ticket office at an alarming rate once they found out that Dunleavy got re-upped for this coming season. The team's reasoning? (I love you, Donald Sterling...) Well, we're going to have to pay him $8 million either way, so I don't want to lose money. WHAT ABOUT THE MONEY YOU WILL LOSE WHEN ALL OF YOUR SEASON TICKET HOLDERS JET ON YOU!? See what I'm saying? Idiots. Oblivious idiots. I don't want Blake stuck in that quagmire. (What, did you think it was just a fake person's name...? Get out more...)

-----

It scares me a great deal, FOR Blake. He'll be living in a city like L.A., paid like he deserves to be, and surrounded by a bunch of complete f*cking idiots, from top to bottom, in his organization; on his bench, etc...

Consider this a three-year audition for his next team. God bless free agency.

the_ouskull

badger
5/22/2009, 12:35 PM
If Donald Sterling were really all about the money, he should go for that whole "trade draft pick" scenario that we all would love here (well, cept for the Clips fan that's been chiming in here - hi FmrEmp!).

1- Rookies are cheap. They have structured contracts as per NBA rules that mean they get a certain amount of money that is a lot less than veterans get.

2- You can trade picks for cash. More money Donnie? Who wants money? That's right! You do, dearie! Money, money money!

3- You can also trade away crappy contracts with the pick. Got a contract you want to dump, but just can't find a way to part with it because it's so awful? Send it WITH the pick and it's suddenly not your problem anymore!

4- Fans like rookies. You might have a coach your fanbase hates, you might have a franchise that basketball fans don't care about, but hey! Rookies are new blood that can attract (a) college fans of the player, (b) foreign fans of the player (c) attention on draft day!

Trade the pick, miser. End this crap immediately.

SteelClip49
5/22/2009, 01:28 PM
Badger!

I have witnessed my Cardinals go to 2 World Series and win 1; I have witnessed my Steelers go to 3 Super Bowls winning 2; I have witnessed my Clippers as a yearly disappointment with the exception of the 2005-06 season. If Sterling was to think about the money more than the team in this instance, then, imo, the team should fold or relocate with better ownership.

The Clippers seem to be the only franchise in the NBA who never care about winning, just playing enough to develop young and talented athletes so they can go elsewhere. The Clippers have the image of being the next step up from the NBDL and then after a stint with the Clippers, you really get into the NBA. I am a Clippers fan til I die but reality is, the Clippers franchise is nothing more than an NBDL organization (Tier 2- only tier 2 entity).

badger
5/22/2009, 01:40 PM
I would "shout" your name, but it's a little bit long :D

Besides, something tells me all of our pestering to get the Clips to trade will not work. (http://www.nba.com/clippers/tickets/draftpack0910.html)

Yes, that is the infamous "Blake pointing at Warren while dunking" picture on the Clippers' home page :(

Sooner04
5/22/2009, 01:44 PM
Skull is beyond correct on his assessment.

If they existed, Blake would rather play for the Siberia Seals or the Vladivostok Vulcans than for the LA Clippers. He may be in Los Angeles, but he won't be in Hollywood. He'll be in Carson, or Compton or Long Beach. It gets no worse than the LA Clippers.

Until you look at who they've got on the roster. Zach Randolph once left the team to go to his grandmother's funeral only to be spotted at a strip club later in the evening. And he didn't pay his tab.

And Ricky Davis.......we don't have enough time for that guy. It would be a work of Tolstoyian length.

the_ouskull
5/22/2009, 01:59 PM
By the way, Bill "The Sports Guy" Simmons, an internet writer whom I love to read, (espn.com) answered a fan mailbag today, and these were some of the letters. (He's a Celtics fan, but living in L.A., he got Clipper season tickets. 'cause he hates the Lakers. Did I mention he's a Celtics fan? Lol.

Q: Did your Clippers just win the draft lottery or did Blake Griffin lose it?
SG: Both

Q: Does God hate Blake Griffin?
--Bill, Danville
SG: Possibly.

Q: As a Longhorn fan, I was rooting for the Clippers to get the No. 1 pick just so I could see them destroy Oklahoma's Blake Griffin. What a franchise!
--Ray, Austin
SG: Yup.

Q: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!
--Blake Griffin's Knee Ligaments, Oklahoma
SG: (Shaking my head.)

EVERYBODY that knows basketball right now, feels badly for Blake Griffin. He has a shot to become the evolutionary Karl Malone, but, could, DUE to his amazing play in college combined with an antiquated lottery process, instead be relegated to becoming the next victim of the Los Angeles Clippers.

I hope that they screw this up and don't take Blake.

I mean, honestly, it's not like Baron Davis is good at staying healthy, and it's not like they've got a suitable backup for him on the roster. Ricky Rubio could learn the game from one of its best offensive minds, since he won't be playing any defense either. It's going to work out very, very well for you to take Rubio. It's what Ricky wants too, Senor Dunleavy.

Lo siento, Blake. Soy triste.

the_ouskull

badger
5/22/2009, 02:18 PM
Weeeeell, they DID screw up and take Kandi a few years back when they had the No. 1 pick, when everyone and their brother knew that Michael Olawa...CANDY had very little basketball playing experience and had about one thing going for him (he's tall), while Mike Bibby seemed like a solid pro.

Perhaps they'll pull another Michael Olawa...notplayinganymore and take Hasheem Thabeet?

If they do, I think I'll do a little dance and sing a little song:

"They've got Thabeet, They've got Thabeet, They've got Tha-beet... yeaaaaah, they've got the beat...(I meant Thabeet)"

That would be super saaa-weet!

JLEW1818
5/22/2009, 04:42 PM
IN THE GENERAL SPORTS FORUM, PLEASE GO VOTE WHO WINS THE NBA FINALS AND OVER WHO. YOU WILL SEE THE THREAD.

sooner94
5/22/2009, 11:04 PM
Crossing my fingers that OKC can work a trade with the Clippers. Probably have to be a 3-way trade, but would love to see Blake escape the dead-end, go-nowhere loser organization that is the Clippers.

Hell, as long as Blake goes anywhere else.

PDXsooner
5/23/2009, 07:39 PM
My take on Blake's, uh... "situation" is as follows. As always, feel free to disagree and be wrong. :D

-----

Blake is screwed. The Los Angeles Clipper franchise is horrible now, and has been horrible for a long, long time. Management is a large, large part of that reason.

First of all, since becoming the L.A. Clippers, their best record is a 47-win season four years ago. The only two players that remain from that team are Chris Kaman, and Sam Cassell, who doesn't even play anymore. In fact, other than Blake, Sam Cassell might be the Clippers number one asset right now, assuming that Sterling pulls his head out of his *ss anytime soon, fires Dumbleavy, and hires Sam-I-Am as the head coach. Since THAT won't happen, sadly... the Clips' assets, in order, are:

- The rights to the #1 pick in the 2009 NBA draft
- Sam Cassell, potential head coach
- Baron Davis, motivated
- Marcus Camby's expiring contract
- Eric Gordon
- Al Thornton
- Baron Davis, normally
- Deandre Jordan

Needless to say, this isn't a good situation for ANY player to walk into. Another look at the roster reveals even more problems...

There are a total of two players on their roster that would be considered "decent" defenders by NBA standards. (Spare me the, "Nobody plays defense in the NBA," crap, too. Ever considered that most of the players in the league are so skilled offensively that, to your untrained eyes, it just looks like nobody's playing defense...? Hmmm...) Anyway, nobody else on the Clips really cares much about defense... so Blake's bound to have trouble staying on the floor when he starts doing what he'll do, and try to do too much.

-----

Their draft history is a lesson in "How Not to Do Things." I will back up 20 years, just to be safe...

Danny Ferry. Bo Kimble. Lamond Murray. Antonio McDyess. Lorenzen Wright. Michael Olowokandi. Lamar Odom. Darius Miles. Tyson Chandler. Chris Wilcox. Chris Kaman. Shaun Livingston. Eric Gordon.

Those are their Top-10 draft picks since 1989. First of all, notice that, since 1989, they've had 13 picks in the Top 10. Second, notice that, of those Top 10 picks, only two are still with the team. If the Chandler trade had gone through, then more of the Clips picks would have played for the Thunder this season than have played for the Clips. Sadness, thy name is Clipper. Another thing to notice about those picks is that, with the (potential) exception of Gordon, the recent exception of Odom, and maybe half of another one or two, none of them are any good. The Clippers don't do draft good. I'd be scared for them to take Blake much in the same way that I'd be scared to see A.D. on the cover of Madden in the near future.

-----

Zach Randolph.
Eddie Curry.
Ricky Davis.
Baron Davis.
Marcus Camby.

What do all of these players have in common? They're all talented players that teams were willing to get rid of, or let go, for next to nothing in return. (Except for Davis, who only came to L.A. 'cause Elton Brand was there. Elton, the piece of Duke that he is, then promptly bolted for Philly. Nice.)

Four of them also have in common playing for the Clippers. Randolph is the biggest piece of sh*t in the league, in my humble opinion, 'cause, offensively, he's got all of the talent in the world. He's a GREAT guy to have on a fantasy team. Sadly, he's a horrible guy to have on a real team, 'cause, even though he's a 20/10 guy who will shoot around/above 50%, he plays zero defense, and he's a locker room cancer.

He plays the same position as Blake.

Unless the Clips plan on trading Randolph, and his $33 million he's due over the next two seasons (yeah, good f*ckin' luck with that) then we can expect to hear stories of a "locker room divided," etc... pretty much the second that they take Blake.

-----

Baron Davis.
Eric Gordon.
Al Thornton.
Blake Griffin.
Chris Kaman.

That's a playoff starting lineup. (In the West, they're a lower seed, but still...) But, sadly, the bench still has to see SOME time on the court... especially considering the injury histories of Davis and Kaman...

Is Camby going to be cool with coming off of the bench? Is Ricky Davis going to be his typical, "I'm the best, I'll jack up the shots to prove it," self? The lineup I just listed is the best starting lineup for this team to move forward into the future... What's more likely, then, with Dumbleavy coaching this squad, would be this...

Davis.
Gordon.
Jordan.
Randolph.
Camby.

Griffin, Kaman, Thornton coming off of the bench would make this team a lot deeper, but, with only Thornton being a decent defender (Blake's unproven) in the league at this point, they're not going to be able to cut into the lead that the other team will have built up by this point with the human turnstiles of Davis and Randolph out there. Ditto for Camby, since, since he left Denver and got old, he's settling for jumpers instead of playing close to the basket... on BOTH ends...

-----

As long as Mike Dunleavy is the head "coach" of the Clippers, they're going to suck. In fact, Clippers fans called into their ticket office at an alarming rate once they found out that Dunleavy got re-upped for this coming season. The team's reasoning? (I love you, Donald Sterling...) Well, we're going to have to pay him $8 million either way, so I don't want to lose money. WHAT ABOUT THE MONEY YOU WILL LOSE WHEN ALL OF YOUR SEASON TICKET HOLDERS JET ON YOU!? See what I'm saying? Idiots. Oblivious idiots. I don't want Blake stuck in that quagmire. (What, did you think it was just a fake person's name...? Get out more...)

-----

It scares me a great deal, FOR Blake. He'll be living in a city like L.A., paid like he deserves to be, and surrounded by a bunch of complete f*cking idiots, from top to bottom, in his organization; on his bench, etc...

Consider this a three-year audition for his next team. God bless free agency.

the_ouskull

solid post. you're clearly knowledgeable when it comes to the NBA. Griffin needs to get out of there asap...bottom line.

starclassic tama
5/23/2009, 08:30 PM
Weeeeell, they DID screw up and take Kandi a few years back when they had the No. 1 pick, when everyone and their brother knew that Michael Olawa...CANDY had very little basketball playing experience and had about one thing going for him (he's tall), while Mike Bibby seemed like a solid pro.

Perhaps they'll pull another Michael Olawa...notplayinganymore and take Hasheem Thabeet?

If they do, I think I'll do a little dance and sing a little song:

"They've got Thabeet, They've got Thabeet, They've got Tha-beet... yeaaaaah, they've got the beat...(I meant Thabeet)"

That would be super saaa-weet!

so you want blake to be a memphis grizzly?

badger
5/24/2009, 01:29 PM
so you want blake to be a memphis grizzly?

The Memphis Grizzlies are a far better option for Blake's future than LAC. Besides, all us Sooners need to do is go through Arkie to go watch him (or wait for an away game to Big D or OKC) if he's in Memphis.

Out of all the NBA teams Blake could play for, it seems that LAC is the absolute worst one for a player to go to... so yes, I would rather he play for Memphis than LAC.

SteelClip49
5/24/2009, 05:34 PM
All the hate for the Clippers. Beware, the Clippers threat is imminent and all of you haters will be sorry. Stop the hate and congratulate!

sooner518
5/24/2009, 07:39 PM
how dare you guys make fun of Zach Randolph! Check out his skillZ!!!

7lvYf08X6tc

and that picture on the Clippers page also shows Willie Warren...maybe they will make the steal of the draft and get Willie a year before he even declares for the draft!!!
http://www.nba.com/media/clippers/draft_pack_splash.jpg

starclassic tama
5/25/2009, 01:05 PM
The Memphis Grizzlies are a far better option for Blake's future than LAC.

how in the world would you come to this conclusion? the clippers are a top 5 money making team in the NBA. no, they usually aren't very good, but the grizzlies are in turmoil right now and probably won't even be in memphis in 3 years. plus the clippers roster is stacked compared to memphis. blake could be a missing piece that makes the clippers a perennial playoff team IF they get a new coach.

Collier11
5/25/2009, 03:39 PM
For Blakes off court career, LA is obviously better. For his bball career I would put my trust in Memphis far before LA. The Clips are never good, ever. And Dunleavy is a good coach, they need a new owner

the_ouskull
5/25/2009, 07:57 PM
the clippers are a top 5 money making team in the NBA.

Uh, link? The Clippers never SPEND any money, so maybe that's why you might think this, but between Camby, and Randolph, not to mention Baron Davis, they're spending money now. Sterling's just a moron about it. Also, when most of your fanbase ditches their season tickets over your re-hire/not-fire of your coach, that's going to hurt income, first pick in the draft or not.

no, they usually aren't very good,

That's like saying that *Texas* doesn't usually have a lot of suck. "They usually aren't very good." Come ON, man. They're an annual lottery team.

but the grizzlies are in turmoil right now and probably won't even be in memphis in 3 years.

Maybe not, but where they are if they suck doesn't matter. The Clippers are in L.A. and have been for a long time, and they still suck a lot. It's not about location. At least the Grizzlies have game-changers on the roster. Rudy Gay and O.J. Mayo can both become stars. Will they? Who knows? But, in Clip Land, they've got Baron Davis, who is a "when he wants to be" star, and Eric Gordon and Al Thornton, while both really good players with a lot of potential... I don't see the "star potential" for either of them.

plus the clippers roster is stacked compared to memphis.

On paper, yes. In reality, no.

blake could be a missing piece that makes the clippers a perennial playoff team IF they get a new coach.

If they were going to get a new coach, they would have. But, there's not been a coach yet to draw team play out of Randolph, (or defense, for that matter) and there's no chance in Hell that they'll get complete, quality seasons out of Davis, Camby, and Kaman. Those dudes just get hurt. Also, look at the names again. Of their best players, 4 of them play in the frontcourt. (Thornton, Camby, Kaman, and Randolph) They're either planning on trying to trade one or more of those guys, which - in Randolph's case especially, good f*ckin' luck getting value from him - it'll be one of those $0.25 on the dollar trades if it happens at all, and they won't be able to bring in anything of value, which makes it worthless.

I'd Marbury his *ss until he learned to bring some D and team play to the court. The fans would appreciate you for it. (Something they desperately need...) There's a lot of crap going on out in La La Land, and it's not easy to wade through, and NOBODY has been able to yet. I'd like to believe that Blake's that guy; the guy that they're going to scrap their losing ways for... but it's probably not happening. I'm not an optimist, I'm a realist. The Clippers suck. That's what they do.

the_ouskull

oumartin
5/26/2009, 06:53 PM
Cassell retired after this season

the_ouskull
5/26/2009, 07:48 PM
Well, yeah. He's still coaching with the team, though, no?

the_ouskull

SteelClip49
5/27/2009, 12:27 AM
Cassell spent half a season with the Celtics last year in which he earned his third NBA title and is now going to serve as an assistant under Saunders for the Wizards.

badger
5/27/2009, 07:14 AM
Cassell's had an interesting career - I only know because he spent part of it in Milwaukee (when they couldn't come up with a better nickname than "Big 3" for GRob, Ray Ray and Sammie). A second round pick lands in Houston when they had Hakeen then he takes a tour of the NBA on several other teams.

Oh, and I agree with what skull said. I've probably said this before, but I'll say it again - if only Eli hadn't been made out to be such an a$$ when he dodged San Diego. Now Blake can't do the same thing without looking the same way. Yi Jianlian tried to doge Milwaukee and didn't look very good doing it, either... and it didn't work, regardless.

bent rider
5/27/2009, 12:04 PM
If there's anything positive to be said, I'm sure this rich a$$hole is just like all the other rich a$$holes who own pro sports teams, it's just that his a$$holery is more public than other's a$$holery... well, 'cept for Mark Cuban. His a$$holery is quite well-publicized.

LOL, I think of the Clippers as the Detroit Lions of the NBA.

badger
5/27/2009, 12:36 PM
About the only thing the Clippers could do to make me hate them more is get Isaiah Thomas as their coach (or worse, coach/GM) to replace Dunleavy (not saying they will replace that failbot of the coach). I know it's not the Clippers' fault that the lottery balls fell the way they did... but it doesn't make me any less rage-like that they are going to blow BG's career from the get-go :mad:

cheezyq
5/27/2009, 03:56 PM
I'm as disappointed as anyone here about this. But, I'll try squeezing a tiny ray of sunshine out of it.

Some of the annually worst teams in NBA history have turned things around simply by a little luck and by landing a great player or three. Obviously the Bulls come to mind. The Kings were perennial suck until they acquired a few players. Orlando was terrible until they lucked out in the lottery and paired Shaq with Penny.

I don't think, with any of those teams, that you can say that they were properly managed at the time, either. The Bulls did have new ownership when Jordan first started, but Doug Collins was still coaching until Phil Jackson arrived for their first championship.

So, MAYBE the Clips just got the luck equivalent of Portland selecting Sam Bowie? Who knows? Heck, maybe they'll repeat history and select Rubio over Griffin, or something like that.

I'm not holding my breath, but it's something to think about, I guess.

starclassic tama
5/27/2009, 04:12 PM
the clippers being a top 5 money making team was in a bill simmons column. the clippers were in the playoffs in 2006, but then again the grizzlies were there in 2005. i think it is splitting hairs here, neither is a good place to start a basketball career.

OU_Sooners75
5/28/2009, 07:50 AM
the clippers being a top 5 money making team was in a bill simmons column. the clippers were in the playoffs in 2006, but then again the grizzlies were there in 2005. i think it is splitting hairs here, neither is a good place to start a basketball career.

I will actually give you some green on this comment....but before I do....

When Orlando Magic came into exsistence, they sucked! Plain and simple.

However in 1992, they drafted arguably one of the best Centers in the history of the NBA....

What happened? he dominated, but the magic still sucked.

They improved by 20 wins in Shaq's first season...hell they even went to 60-22 the season before Shaq's last season.

The thing is, it doesnt matter what the market is. A dominating player can make the difference from **** poor to playoffs. From playoffs to the NBA finals.

(Starrypimple) I am not disagreing with your post, at all. However, I am saying that a dominate player can make the franchise better.....

Does that mean that dominate player gets to the top of his potential? NO!

But it does help to generate money for that franchise.

Now back to the Clippers....Top 5 as in money maker?

That could also be because they are located in LA. Meaning they are in the second largest market in the country....the only market that can even begin to match the LA market is NYC....and the NYC has only one team....still doesnt mean it is the #1 market.

badger
5/28/2009, 08:22 AM
The thing is, it doesnt matter what the market is. A dominating player can make the difference from **** poor to playoffs. From playoffs to the NBA finals.

Allow me to continue your line of thought :D

...From favored in NBA Finals to missing key free throws with little time left! From being up by 3 to getting tied with a buzzer shot! From a guaranteed win at home to a Finals Game 1 loss! From pretty-much-winning-game-one to getting swept in the series!

That was the first Finals game I watched (parents did not believe in cable tv). I still vividly remember the way Nick Anderson giggled on the free throw line as he bonked them both, opening up for the Rockets to possibly tie the game and send it into OT... what a dramatic turnaround. The Magic under Shaq/Penny never even went back to the Finals. This year is the closest they've gotten since that year.

badger
5/28/2009, 08:40 AM
So... are the Clips actually a good money-wise franchise? I've just checked into this, just to know for sure. Did you know the NBA secured a bailout of sorts (http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/29412717/)for struggling teams? That's can't be a good sign for the league.

Upon researching the Internet, the most profitable NBA teams include the St. Louis Spirits long forgotten with the folding of the ABA. Don't question me, just read the article! (http://articles.latimes.com/2006/jul/31/sports/sp-aba31)

According to Forbes, the Bulls are the actual most profitable team and here's how revenues breakdown:

Top 10 valuations: New York Knicks ($613 million), LA Lakers ($584 million), Chicago Bulls ($504 million), Detroit Pistons ($480 million), Cleveland Cavaliers ($477 million), Houston Rockets ($469 million), Dallas Mavericks ($466 million), Phoenix Suns ($452 million), Boston Celtics ($447 million) and San Antonio Spurs ($415 million).

The magazine also says that the Bulls enjoyed the biggest operating profit in the last year at $55.4 million, with the Lakers again being the runner-up with an operating profit of $47.9 million (on $191 million in revenues).

Forbes claims all top 10 NBA teams are profitable, with one exception -- Mark Cuban's Mavericks posted an operating loss of $13.6 million.

Here's the profits list:

Top five NBA teams (profit from operations):

1. Chicago Bulls ($55.4 million)

2. Lakers ($47.9 million)

3. Detroit Pistons ($40.4 million)

4. Houston Rockets ($31.2 million)

5. New York Knicks ($29.6 million)

Bottom five NBA teams (loss from operations)

1. Denver Nuggets (-$26.3 million)

2. Dallas Mavericks (-$13.6 million)

3. Oklahoma City Thunder (-$9.4 million)

4. Indiana Pacers (-$6.5 million)

5. Minnesota Timberwolves (-$5.7 million)

Link here. (http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/sports_blog/new_york_knicks/)

I think it's clear that whether a team turns a big profit or not doesn't matter, because there's successful and unsuccessful teams on both sides of the profit spectrum.

OU_Sooners75
5/28/2009, 08:47 AM
Allow me to continue your line of thought :D

...From favored in NBA Finals to missing key free throws with little time left! From being up by 3 to getting tied with a buzzer shot! From a guaranteed win at home to a Finals Game 1 loss! From pretty-much-winning-game-one to getting swept in the series!

That was the first Finals game I watched (parents did not believe in cable tv). I still vividly remember the way Nick Anderson giggled on the free throw line as he bonked them both, opening up for the Rockets to possibly tie the game and send it into OT... what a dramatic turnaround. The Magic under Shaq/Penny never even went back to the Finals. This year is the closest they've gotten since that year.

:P

thanks!

OU_Sooners75
5/28/2009, 08:49 AM
So... are the Clips actually a good money-wise franchise? I've just checked into this, just to know for sure. Did you know the NBA secured a bailout of sorts (http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/29412717/)for struggling teams? That's can't be a good sign for the league.

Upon researching the Internet, the most profitable NBA teams include the St. Louis Spirits long forgotten with the folding of the ABA. Don't question me, just read the article! (http://articles.latimes.com/2006/jul/31/sports/sp-aba31)

According to Forbes, the Bulls are the actual most profitable team and here's how revenues breakdown:

Top 10 valuations: New York Knicks ($613 million), LA Lakers ($584 million), Chicago Bulls ($504 million), Detroit Pistons ($480 million), Cleveland Cavaliers ($477 million), Houston Rockets ($469 million), Dallas Mavericks ($466 million), Phoenix Suns ($452 million), Boston Celtics ($447 million) and San Antonio Spurs ($415 million).

The magazine also says that the Bulls enjoyed the biggest operating profit in the last year at $55.4 million, with the Lakers again being the runner-up with an operating profit of $47.9 million (on $191 million in revenues).

Forbes claims all top 10 NBA teams are profitable, with one exception -- Mark Cuban's Mavericks posted an operating loss of $13.6 million.

Here's the profits list:

Top five NBA teams (profit from operations):

1. Chicago Bulls ($55.4 million)

2. Lakers ($47.9 million)

3. Detroit Pistons ($40.4 million)

4. Houston Rockets ($31.2 million)

5. New York Knicks ($29.6 million)

Bottom five NBA teams (loss from operations)

1. Denver Nuggets (-$26.3 million)

2. Dallas Mavericks (-$13.6 million)

4. Indiana Pacers (-$6.5 million)

5. Minnesota Timberwolves (-$5.7 million)

Link here. (http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/sports_blog/new_york_knicks/)

I think it's clear that whether a team turns a big profit or not doesn't matter, because there's successful and unsuccessful teams on both sides of the profit spectrum.

What...starrypimple lied to me?

:mad:

Collier11
5/28/2009, 08:51 AM
more like made sh*t up ;)

badger
5/28/2009, 08:57 AM
What...starrypimple lied to me?

:mad:

No, I'm not calling anyone a liar. If I read correctly, his stats were from 2006, whereas these stats are the most recent available --- I think Forbes' report that I posted came out in December 2008.

EDIT: The Clips turned about a $10 mil profit, ranking them 13th. Here's a link. (http://www.forbes.com/lists/2008/32/nba08_NBA-Team-Valuations_Income.html) As far as what their franchise is worth, it ranks 25th in the league... right behind none other than the Oklahoma City Thunder. (na na na NA na na NA NA!)

scotplum
5/28/2009, 10:08 AM

Technically this should read Seattle Sonics since revenues were from the final year in Seattle. I would be curious to see the numbers for the franchise's first year in OKC. I'm not sure anyone in the public truly knows how the team did financially this year.

badger
5/28/2009, 10:21 AM
Technically this should read Seattle Sonics since revenues were from the final year in Seattle. I would be curious to see the numbers for the franchise's first year in OKC. I'm not sure anyone in the public truly knows how the team did financially this year.

It might be us, it might be Seattle... but it's still the same owner (thank you once again, Daddy Starbucks) and he probably had a lot of expenses to get the franchise to move and pay off Seattle to leave Key Arena. Whether it was OKC Thunder or Seattle Sonics operating losses doesn't matter to the owner. It was his loss, not ours.

scotplum
5/28/2009, 10:54 AM
It might be us, it might be Seattle... but it's still the same owner (thank you once again, Daddy Starbucks) and he probably had a lot of expenses to get the franchise to move and pay off Seattle to leave Key Arena. Whether it was OKC Thunder or Seattle Sonics operating losses doesn't matter to the owner. It was his loss, not ours.

Clearly it mentions in your link that this was based upon 07-08 revenues. True it is the same owner but I would imagine many folks around here would be curious to know what the OKC revenues look like in comparison. That is all I am saying.

Collier11
5/28/2009, 11:00 AM
she is doing her nails, not paying attention ;)

badger
5/28/2009, 11:05 AM
she is doing her nails, not paying attention ;)

:D As I do my nails (actually, I need to be doin' my nails, my nails haven't been done in so long)... I would once again say that Seattle Sonics or OKC Thunder only matters to us, not the dude paying the money... but yeah, it wouldn't surprise me in the least if our revenue went up... you know, because of higher attendance, higher merchandise sales, higher cost of living... oh wait, that would be Seattle, not OKC... make that LOWER cost of living :D

the_ouskull
5/28/2009, 02:38 PM
The season before landing Shaquille O'Neal, the Magic did, in fact, lose 21 games. However, Dennis Scott only PLAYED in 18 games, Nick Anderson MISSED 22 games, and Stanley Roberts, Jerry Reynolds, Bison Dele, Sam Vincent and Otis Smith all missed at least 27 games each. During that season, their 8-deep roster in minutes played was:

- Nick Anderson
- Terry Catledge
- Scott Skiles
- Anthony Bowie
- Stanley Roberts
- Jerry Reynolds
- Jeff Turner
- Greg Kite

The next season, aside from getting Shaq in the draft, they also got back a number of players from injury. Their 8-deep that next season was:

- Shaquille O'Neal
- Nick Anderson
- Scott Skiles
- Dennis Scott
- Donald Royal
- Anthony Bowie
- Tom Tolbert
- Jeff Turner

That is a considerable upgrade, even if you replace Shaq with an average center. (Basically, Shaq replaced Stanley Roberts and Greg Kite, and Dennis Scott replaced Jerry Reynolds... i.e. - Insta-upgrades.

So, the fact that they won 20 more games that next season isn't surprising, but I also don't feel that Shaq accounted for all 20 of them. But, the next year, they added Penny Hardaway. The year after that, they kept their core players together for an entire season. It was the following year, '94-'95, that they went to the Finals. But, before they did that, they upgraded yet again, adding Horace Grant, only one year removed from three straight titles with the Bulls, and Brian Shaw, a capable backup that allowed Penny to play off of the ball sometimes as well, and gave them more defensive flexibility.

So, basically, Shaq is the reason why they got there, but not the only one. Was that even what we were talking about? Lol. Nevermind, I remember now. Anyway, Blake, as much as we love him, and as much (Evolutionary Malone) potential as he has, he's no Shaquille O'Neal. Shaquille was, quite literally, a once-in-a-generation player. Blake is "the next big thing." Having seen the last two up close and personal, being in the Big 12 Conference and all, (Beasley, and Durant) which way he goes is up to a lot more than just him. Beasley landed in a less-than-ideal situation, and he's not playing up to his potential. Durant landed in an ideal situation, and he's starting to scratch the surface of his potential already.

Blake's going to have one major (Clippers) strike against him from jump. His "team"mates are strike two. He's going to have to be perfect, and knowing him, he would expect no less from himself, to stay on track. But, that's an awful lot of pressure to put on a player who: 1) is from Oklahoma and moving to L.A. 2) is not dominant in any particular area of the game. 3) is more of a do-as-I-do-'cause-I-don't-say-sh*t leader. Is he up for it? Sure. I think he is. But, the money question is, "For how long?"

-----

I guess I talk a lot. Sorry about that. I love basketball.

the_ouskull

PDXsooner
5/30/2009, 01:41 PM
Beasley landed in a less-than-ideal situation, and he's not playing up to his potential.

This will be repeated for a few more years until we all realize he's just not ever going to be that good. Too lazy, not enough drive.

Mjcpr
5/31/2009, 12:02 AM
But, that's an awful lot of pressure to put on a player who: 1) is from Oklahoma and moving to L.A. 2) is not dominant in any particular area of the game.
the_ouskull

I'd say he is a pretty dominant rebounder and this will be his strength in the NBA from day 1.

"MVP"
5/31/2009, 01:01 PM
God why the Clippers! They are the one team that has the ability to completely ruin a player. I don't see much chance that the Thunder trade for the #1 as we aren't willing to part with KD and we don't have enough pieces to get Blake after that, but hopefully Memphis will come to Blake's rescue!

badger
5/31/2009, 02:17 PM
This will be repeated for a few more years until we all realize he's just not ever going to be that good. Too lazy, not enough drive.

He was a big fish in a small pond at KSU. He's a little fish in the big ocean that is the NBA, which houses the top talent from across the world in the game. He was the best at KSU... but he will be nowhere near the best ever again wherever he goes now that he has left college.

sifa123
6/29/2009, 02:11 AM
I don't follow the Clips, so I was unaware of the ownership situation and such... when I saw that LAC got the No. 1 pick, I was slightly worried, knowing the track record of that franchise recently (they had announced previously that night that LAC had 20 lottery years in the 25 seasons of the lottery).

So, again, not knowing the ownership situation and trying to stay positive, I was thinking "Well, Blake's a good guy, he'll be all like 'I want to help turn this franchise around' and be a good thing for a struggling organization."

After reading more on the miser behind the Clips, I doubt this organization can be turned around, unless the owner's willing to make a commitment. I wonder if Blake qualifies as a so-called "poor black boy" in the miser's eyes? Blake deserves so much better :(

EDIT: Here' (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4187729)s the article so you all can groan with me :(
having watched Camby in Denver for 3-4 years (his best as a pro)...there's nothing he does that makes him worth the horrible shots he takes. he thinks he's got a top of the key stroke type range. he's a good guy apparently