PDA

View Full Version : Lamont Robinson doing some good stuff.

soonerfan28
5/19/2009, 09:40 PM
I know this has been talked about on here before, but it's nice to see players doing some nice things after sports.

Lamont Robinson, a 6-foot-1, 226-pound linebacker from Salem, N.J., came to Oklahoma with incredible promise.

Recruited by schools such as Ohio State, Georgia and Rutgers, Robinson's recruiting bio told the story of a potential difference maker.

Lamont Robinson's football numbers don't tell the story of the person he became at Oklahoma
But after a four-year career at Oklahoma, Robinson's career football statistics don't jump off the page. In a twenty-game career, Robinson logged 11 tackles, accounted for one interception, had one career sack and broke up two passes.

Not exactly the type of football career Robinson imagined when he signed with Oklahoma.

Players like Robinson are the ones who feed the Oklahoma football monster. That monster can often chew-up and spit-out prospects who don't pan out.

But Robinson proves there is another side to the recruiting rankings, the depth charts and the pressure of performing each and every Saturday from September to December.

While recruiting fans spend their time fixated on 40-yard dash times, Robinson had another number next to his Rivals.com recruiting profile that said even more about his ability to make a difference:

GPA: 4.2

In the end, Robinson was a difference maker at Oklahoma. Graduating from OU in just four years with a degree in African-American studies, Robinson did become a difference maker, it was just in the classroom, and not on the football field.

"I didn't do the things athletically that everyone comes here dreaming about doing, but the experience and the lessons I've learned and the person I am today – I wouldn't trade it for the world," said Robinson. "That's one thing I was able to realize and one thing I was able to take advantage of. Not everybody gets to go to the next level. The relationships you build here, the chemistry, the lessons learned, the moments that we go through, the process of everything – I'll take it with me forever. I wouldn't trade it for the world. I wouldn't have it any other way."

Robinson has decided to forego his final year of eligibility at OU as he looks to kick start his life after football.

He'll start by heading back to New Jersey this summer where he'll be in charge of running programs at a rehabilitation and homeless shelter.

And Robinson plans on continuing to make a difference in the lives of others by continuing his education. Robinson will take the LSATs next year in hopes of enrolling in law school, which could put him one step closer to his ultimate goal.

"I want to own my own school one day," he said. "I don't know if I've expressed that before but with my law degree I would be able to take care of a lot of legal formalities with that degree."

Much like Robinson bounced around from one position to another at linebacker, he's still feeling his way through life after football. When talking about his plans for the future, Robinson sees the world as his oyster.

"We could be here all day talking about my future plans," he said. "I'm going to take my LSATs this summer and throw my hat in some rings and see what sticks. I'm going to pray about it and try and make the best decision possible."

Robinson even says he wants to pay homage to his grandfather with his future endeavors.

"Obviously ministry is real big in my family and my grandfather is a minister and that's something I plan on doing down the line," he said.

Lamont's impact as a person on OU's program is immeasurable. He certainly made an impact on Atlanta Falcon's rookie Curtis Lofton, who returned to Norman to support Robinson during his graduation reception on this day.

"It's been a whirlwind. It seems like just yesterday I was in the Bud smacking Curtis around and getting that guy right," Robinson said jokingly as Lofton lurked just behind him. "Look at us now, I'm graduating and he's off in the league doing his thing and growing up and becoming men. It's a crazy process. Maturing and going through life."

Regardless of recruiting rankings, regardless of his place on the depth chart while he was at Oklahoma, Robinson ended up being a difference maker at Oklahoma.

And Oklahoma ended up being a difference maker for Robinson.

"I definitely have had a very full four years. I've enjoyed it to the fullest. I couldn't have made a better decision, couldn't have come to a better place, couldn't have been around better people," said Robinson.

sooneron
5/19/2009, 10:52 PM
Jersey kid done good.

Curly Bill
5/19/2009, 10:57 PM
Good read.

Crucifax Autumn
5/20/2009, 12:19 AM
Jersey kid done good.

Had to happen to one soon!

Crucifax Autumn
5/20/2009, 12:22 AM
Jersey kid done good.

Had to happen to one soon!

But seriously, I think OU does great things for kids that aren't named Thompson or Holieway and that was their own refusal to take some learnin'!

I hop OU can continue this tradition of turning kids of all backgrounds into upstanding citizens. Oklahoma deserves this.

NormanPride
5/20/2009, 07:54 AM
I didn't know you could get higher than a 4.0 in college...

Go Lamont! Always great to hear about former players doing well.

badger
5/20/2009, 08:02 AM
:mad: only in oklahoma do you have 4+ gpa's on a 4-point scale.

:D It puts new meaning to "give 110 percent" when you actually can...

OUTrumpet
5/20/2009, 11:02 AM
"While recruiting fans spend their time fixated on 40-yard dash times, Robinson had another number next to his Rivals.com recruiting profile that said even more about his ability to make a difference:

GPA: 4.2"

I think they're talking about a high school weighted GPA due to the Rivals recruiting thing.

Best of luck to him, and thanks for being a Sooner!

jumperstop
5/20/2009, 01:36 PM
:mad: only in oklahoma do you have 4+ gpa's on a 4-point scale.

:D It puts new meaning to "give 110 percent" when you actually can...

"While recruiting fans spend their time fixated on 40-yard dash times, Robinson had another number next to his Rivals.com recruiting profile that said even more about his ability to make a difference:

GPA: 4.2"

I think they're talking about a high school weighted GPA due to the Rivals recruiting thing.

Best of luck to him, and thanks for being a Sooner!

At OU you can not get a 4.2, it is a 4 point scale. Only in the highschools do they have a 4 point system where honors classes or ap classes are worth 5. They have to be talking about his highschool GPA because only badasses get 4.0 during thier college career, especially while playing football.

humblesooner
5/21/2009, 08:28 AM
Any chance this scholarship goes to the Norman kicker?

Collier11
5/21/2009, 09:04 AM
very cool

rainiersooner
5/22/2009, 06:01 PM
that story is incorrect: Robinson had TWO interceptions, it was just that the second one last October has an * next to it.

Collier11
5/22/2009, 06:33 PM
well Stoops said the refs got the call right so take that for what its worth

rainiersooner
5/23/2009, 08:58 PM
True, but if I was relying on reason, I wouldn't have been able to use an * - and what fun would that be?

Collier11
5/24/2009, 11:22 AM
it is one of those rules like the tuck rule, pretty much left to interpretation