PDA

View Full Version : OU-Texas Kickoff 11am

soonerfan28
5/19/2009, 05:25 PM
Dave Sittler reporting

OU-Texas To Kickoff At 11 A.M.
5/19/2009 3:37:32 PM

The date and time of the Super Bowl may be the most-asked football scheduling questions in the rest of the country, but not on either side of the Red River in this part of the nation.

So for those of you counting down the days to the 2009 Oklahoma-Texas football game (as of Tuesday it was 150) here’s an important item to add to your planning – look for the Oct. 17th contest at the Cotton Bowl in Dallas to kickoff at 11 a.m.

Neither school nor the Big 12 Conference has announced a start time for what is already one of the most-anticipated showdowns in the storied history of the Red River Shootout. But sources have confirmed the late-morning start to the Tulsa World, as well as revealing that ABC most likely will select it for a national telecast.

The Big 12 could make the 11 a.m. kickoff time official during its spring meetings, which are being held this week in Colorado Springs, Colo. Historically, some games that have been selected for TV are announced shortly after the meetings.

The morning kickoff time would also allow those OU supporters who are also U2 fans more time to return to Norman before the Irish Band appears at Memorial Stadium on Oct. 18.

With lead-singer Bono, U2 is scheduled to start its U2 360 Tour next month in Europe. The Black Eyed Peas will be the opening act for the Norman concert, which is expected to start at 7 p.m.

I would personally like to see this game in primetime, but that's only because I'll be watching from my living room.

goingoneight
5/19/2009, 06:06 PM
The tradition continues...

JLEW1818
5/19/2009, 08:12 PM
uhh. another drunk morning at Fair Park

soonerfan28
5/19/2009, 08:35 PM

You could start the night before and then just not sleep.

fadada1
5/19/2009, 08:57 PM
i would rather eat lint.

why start this game at 11??? only good thing is the lead in from gameday.

Lott's Bandana
5/19/2009, 09:00 PM
Once again the bittersweet relationship with television.

I loved the old-school early afternoon starts.

OK2U
5/19/2009, 10:44 PM
The a**whoopin' has got to start at one point or another. Doesn't much matter to me what time it is.

MrJimBeam
5/20/2009, 07:00 AM
I can be drunk and obnoxious at 11am as easily as I can at 2pm. :texan:

badger
5/20/2009, 07:13 AM
Since it hasn't been posted, here's the original link. (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sports/extra/article.aspx?subjectID=92&tab=ou&articleid=20090520_92_B1_Thehig838775)

It makes sense - a lot of recent RRS games have been 11 a.m. games.

TheHumanAlphabet
5/20/2009, 07:35 AM

Does the Pride still do step turns in the morning???

badger
5/20/2009, 07:42 AM
Does the Pride still do step turns in the morning???

this was... oh man, four years ago now? but anyways, back then, if the kickoff was 11 a.m., there was no morning rehearsal. it was just too d@mn early and i think the directors knew better.

of course, that was back when drinkin' was still allowed...

C&CDean
5/20/2009, 08:37 AM
If it were up to me, they'd kickoff at 0700. I get way too wound up before this game, and by Satuday morning, I just wanna kick it off. Besides, there's 364 other days of the year to get ****faced. I don't have to be wasted for this one.

XingTheRubicon
5/20/2009, 09:01 AM
This may save thousands of lives.

soonerfan28
5/20/2009, 09:26 AM
This is a good start time if we win the game. If we don't then it'll be a long freakin day.

yermom
5/20/2009, 10:36 AM
normally, i hate the early starts, but i'm probably driving back to Norman after the game to get an early start on the U2 traffic/crowd, so that might be ok

JLEW1818
5/20/2009, 10:37 AM
This is a good start time if we win the game. If we don't then it'll be a long freakin day.

That is what I like/dislike about it. If we win, we get to chil and drink and talk ****, and watch all the other games later that day.

if we lose..... like last year..... well, i just sit in front of the mirror and ask myself, "why?"

either way, I'm getting tanked at Victory Park/west end the night before. :cool:

soonermix
5/20/2009, 10:56 AM
i'm not in college anymore it is hard for an old man like me to get ****-faced hammered drunk on friday night and make it to an 11 am kickoff.
it's not fair

Scooter McCade
5/20/2009, 11:10 AM
Not sure what difference or significance it makes whether the game is at 11:00 a.m. or 3:00 p.m. Same advantages and disadvantages for either team...Plus, it could get changed again, as traditionally big matchups like this do to suit the networks so they can maximize their advertizing dollars...
Regards,
Scooter

JLEW1818
5/20/2009, 11:14 AM
Not sure what difference or significance it makes whether the game is at 11:00 a.m. or 3:00 p.m. Same advantages and disadvantages for either team...Plus, it could get changed again, as traditionally big matchups like this do to suit the networks so they can maximize their advertizing dollars...
Regards,
Scooter

because I'm a fan, and I want it at 2:30!!! Do the people who make it at 11 care about my opinion? of course not.

regardless I'll still be watching or attending the game.

goingoneight
5/20/2009, 11:15 AM
i'm not in college anymore it is hard for an old man like me to get ****-faced hammered drunk on friday night and make it to an 11 am kickoff.
it's not fair

LOLz... this is a crowd control tactic. If everyone that WANTED to make the game did, they'd put a million seats in the Cotton Bowl. :D

badger
5/20/2009, 11:24 AM
You know, OU-texaz might rival those ESPN-pimped LSU night games if we were to have the RRS at night... hell, what am I saying? Texaz would still arrive late and leave early, while OU fans partied on the south side of the stadium :D

jumperstop
5/20/2009, 01:00 PM
I just remember how difficult it was to make it to the stadium for the game last year, and I think it was at the same time. I left like 1 1/2 or 2 hours before the game and I only stayed 7 miles from the stadium. I guess they want to make sure people have the most difficult time making it to the game.

JLEW1818
5/20/2009, 01:03 PM
wonder how much scalpers will be selling for. gotta find some for friends.

jumperstop
5/20/2009, 01:28 PM
wonder how much scalpers will be selling for. gotta find some for friends.

In 2006 I paid face value of $95 for a student ticket, but this year it will go for a lot more. Last year I payed $250 each on the internet, that way was much easier, you know what you're paying for the tickets and there is no worry of not being able to find one when you get to the stadium.

MamaMia
5/20/2009, 03:15 PM
11:00 is insane. The Friday Night Pep Rally doesn't even start until way late. By the time thats over and we get all the kids to bed, we get very little sleep before its time to get up to get all the kids and grandkids showered, fed and dressed to make it to the stadium in time. Oh well; we'll be there regardless. ~sigh~

The U2 concert isn't until Sunday, so I don't get the correlation.

sooner94
5/20/2009, 03:55 PM
I think the early kick-off is so it can be a national game. Pac 10/Big 10 and ACC country are not willing to show the game at 2:30 since that is when they have their regional games.

It sucks if you are going to the game, but its not really an issue for me if I'm watching it at home.

MamaMia
5/20/2009, 04:10 PM
I think the early kick-off is so it can be a national game. Pac 10/Big 10 and ACC country are not willing to show the game at 2:30 since that is when they have their regional games.

It sucks if you are going to the game, but its not really an issue for me if I'm watching it at home.
I think its because they don't want a bunch of stinking drunk and totally obnoxious Texas horns all up in our grill. :D

yermom
5/20/2009, 04:11 PM

Sunday traffic blows after OU/Texas. now it's going to likely be worse since people will be trying to get back earlier to make the show

with the field being general admission, some will be lining up way before the show starts too

MamaMia
5/20/2009, 04:34 PM
Sunday traffic blows after OU/*Texas*. now it's going to likely be worse since people will be trying to get back earlier to make the show

with the field being general admission, some will be lining up way before the show starts too
We've never had any trouble with Sunday traffic. We order room service breakfast, pack and leave about 11:00 every year. I hope there wont be any major road construction.

badger
5/21/2009, 07:39 AM
11:00 is insane. The Friday Night Pep Rally doesn't even start until way late. By the time thats over and we get all the kids to bed, we get very little sleep before its time to get up to get all the kids and grandkids showered, fed and dressed to make it to the stadium in time. Oh well; we'll be there regardless. ~sigh~

now might be a good time to be designated babysitter, who stays behind on friday night activities to take the kids to the pool, order pizza and go to bed at the normal time so they can wake up early and do all that other fun stuff you need to in the morning!

or, the can designate someone else babysitter, heh...:O

TheHumanAlphabet
5/21/2009, 09:01 AM
this was... oh man, four years ago now? but anyways, back then, if the kickoff was 11 a.m., there was no morning rehearsal. it was just too d@mn early and i think the directors knew better.

of course, that was back when drinkin' was still allowed...

I remember my first year 1978, I believe it was a morning game, Coach had us in step turns first thing...He had a big smile on his face...

badger
5/21/2009, 09:37 AM
I remember my first year 1978, I believe it was a morning game, Coach had us in step turns first thing...He had a big smile on his face...

on the few times that the ou-tex games were not 11 a.m. my years, it was always funny looking around and seeing the grad assists that had too much to drink or the section leaders/older members with headaches :D

then, when it rolled around to my later years when it would have been the younger kiddos turn to laugh at me, the games were 11 a.m. (thank you ABC, you and ESPN all collectively suck!) and we didn't have those morning rehearsals to laugh at the hangovers... and the drinking rules were starting to get a little more stringent anyways.

MamaMia
5/21/2009, 10:00 AM
now might be a good time to be designated babysitter, who stays behind on friday night activities to take the kids to the pool, order pizza and go to bed at the normal time so they can wake up early and do all that other fun stuff you need to in the morning!

or, the can designate someone else babysitter, heh...:O

We have our own pools and they eat a lot of pizza already so that wont work.

I'll pay labor wages for anyone with babysitting skills and references who is brave enough to tell the kids they have to miss the pep rally and go to bed early? :D

meoveryouxinfinity
5/21/2009, 10:39 AM
thanks chase, for all the memories.

badger
5/21/2009, 10:58 AM
We have our own pools and they eat a lot of pizza already so that wont work.

I'll pay labor wages for anyone with babysitting skills and references who is brave enough to tell the kids they have to miss the pep rally and go to bed early? :D

Hmm... sign making party for ESPN College Gameday, then?

When we weren't drinking, that was some of the most fun times on college trips - making signs for the upcoming games.

sooner59
5/21/2009, 11:31 AM
Ah crap. This is not surprising. At least i'll have more time to celebrate after the game, I guess.

OUstud
5/21/2009, 11:32 AM
Given our recent performance after the Texas game, this should be the new definition of "Texas hangover"...

flopshotjoe99
5/22/2009, 09:59 AM
after 4 years of season tickets, finally got the letter for the Cotton Bowl game. This will be my first RRS.:cool:

MamaMia
5/22/2009, 02:10 PM
Hmm... sign making party for ESPN College Gameday, then?

When we weren't drinking, that was some of the most fun times on college trips - making signs for the upcoming games. They've already made their signs.

badger
5/22/2009, 02:15 PM
They've already made their signs.

Already?!

Well, if they're looking that much forward to the game, then they aren't going to sleep the night before anyway, so you might as well let them do whatever they want :D

MamaMia
5/22/2009, 03:04 PM
Already?!

Well, if they're looking that much forward to the game, then they aren't going to sleep the night before anyway, so you might as well let them do whatever they want :D
They have signs made for the game and for the pep rally. :pop:

RedstickSooner
5/22/2009, 05:55 PM
If it were up to me, they'd kickoff at 0700. I get way too wound up before this game, and by Satuday morning, I just wanna kick it off. Besides, there's 364 other days of the year to get ****faced. I don't have to be wasted for this one.

Ding ding ding ding ding.

Honestly, I prefer an early start, because it means nobody bothers me, everyone will behave and stay the fudge away, and I can just focus ever fiber of my being on watching the game.

I hate waiting, and watching other football before we play doesn't help me. I just want it to start, that's it.

But, for those that like the tailgate mystique of the game -- the all-day party leading up to kickoff, I understand how early kickoffs would stink. So you have my sympathy.

UTsucks
9/26/2009, 09:12 PM
I have a seating question. In the lower section OU side sections 2-5 or 24-27 what is the top row? Is it row 65? Reason I ask is last year had row 1 too low can't see sh!t. Going for the top this year.

Thanks for any info!