PDA

View Full Version : The Missing Link Found

SicEmBaylor
5/19/2009, 02:18 PM
This is kind of interesting:
http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/World-News/Missing-Link-Scientists-In-New-York-Unveil-Fossil-Of-Lemur-Monkey-Hailed-As-Mans-Earliest-Ancestor/Article/200905315284582?lpos=World_News_Carousel_Region_0&lid=ARTICLE_15284582_Missing_Link%3A_Scientists_In _New_York_Unveil_Fossil_Of_Lemur_Monkey_Hailed_As_ Mans_Earliest_Ancestor

http://www.drudgereport.com/moh.jpg

JohnnyMack
5/19/2009, 02:22 PM
Why do you hate the book of Genesis?

C&CDean
5/19/2009, 03:22 PM
I have no doubt whatsoever that some of you evolved from this beast. Me? Not so much. I was created in the image of God.

Jacie
5/19/2009, 07:59 PM
I have no doubt whatsoever that some of you evolved from this beast. Me? Not so much. I was created in the image of God.

Yeah, we'd just hate to confuse you with those pesky details like . . . facts.

Turd_Ferguson
5/19/2009, 08:08 PM
Yeah, we'd just hate to confuse you with those pesky details like . . . facts.facts? oh yeah, here's one. **** OFF DIP ****!!

Jacie
5/19/2009, 08:13 PM
facts? oh yeah, here's one. **** OFF DIP ****!!

Some live life in ignorance because of the circumstances surrounding their birth, while others choose to do so. The latter are the ones we call stupid.

Turd_Ferguson
5/19/2009, 08:22 PM
Some live life in ignorance because of the circumstances surrounding their birth, while others choose to do so. The latter are the ones we call stupid.keep it up, I think your get'n a crowd.

def_lazer_fc
5/19/2009, 08:35 PM
this is pretty interesting. too bad this fossil is "supposed" to be like 26,997,000 years older than the earth. who's the dummy now. JEEZ!!!!

fadada1
5/19/2009, 09:00 PM
CHUPACABRAS!!!!

CrimsonJim
5/19/2009, 09:27 PM
this is pretty interesting. too bad this fossil is "supposed" to be like 26,997,000 years older than the earth. who's the dummy now. JEEZ!!!!

And a hush fell over the crowd....

Crucifax Autumn
5/19/2009, 09:38 PM
Don't even get me started...

fadada1
5/19/2009, 09:39 PM
carbon dating is a scam.

Howzit
5/19/2009, 09:40 PM

*BLINK*

Frozen Sooner
5/19/2009, 09:59 PM
1. Tone it down with calling people stupid. Just because someone has a belief that doesn't jibe with observed evidence as we've interpreted it doesn't mean they're stupid.

2. Interesting. That article said a couple of really odd things-like how this supposedly "confirms" Darwin. Evolution by Natural Selection has been confirmed experimentally several times, so I don't know that his theories were looking for confirmation. It corroborates, I guess.

sooneron
5/19/2009, 10:46 PM

It's pretty much a fact that the Jurassic period started approximately 210,000,000 years ago.

http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/mesozoic/jurassic/jurassintro.html

http://www.enchantedlearning.com/subjects/dinosaurs/mesozoic/Jurassic.html

colleyvillesooner
5/19/2009, 11:02 PM
like anyone can even know that...

Fraggle145
5/20/2009, 03:27 AM
Here's a link to the actual article... http://www.plosone.org/article/info:doi/10.1371/journal.pone.0005723

It basically suggests a common ancestor for all primates until more fossil evidence is found. It doesnt confirm evolution. It makes no test of evolution. Science doesnt confirm anything (for the most part) it only falsifies things.

Not saying that it isnt really cool it just needs some serious perspective.

That news article is way out of control... but hey its a news article.

And maybe, just maybe, Dean was being a little bit facetious... ;)

OU_Sooners75
5/20/2009, 05:11 AM
Why do you hate the book of Genesis?

Funny you bring that up.

Why do you take things so literal?

Hell, even Jews do not take the book of Genesis (it is their own book) as literal as christians do.

You can still have a God, or creator, with evolution.

OU_Sooners75
5/20/2009, 05:13 AM

:confused:

When does 47 Million years trump 4.5 Billion years that the scientist believe is the age of the earth?

GrapevineSooner
5/20/2009, 08:08 AM
Exactly. And this is one of those other issues where I just don't really give a damn. These days, it seems people take one side or the other just to scoreboard the other guys.

Me?

Well, we'll find out in the end I guess.

But just supposing that this is indeed the missing link that proves we all evolved from monkeys...how they did THEY get here?

OUDoc
5/20/2009, 08:16 AM
God needs to work on his abs. :)

C&CDean
5/20/2009, 08:20 AM

Facts? You wouldn't know a fact if it hit your sloped, ape-shaped evolved forehead. You can go on believing any pile of horse**** you choose. I'll take my chances with my pile. We'll see who gets further on down the road.

On a sidenote, I seriously pity the folks who actually think they've got it all figured out. And I'm talking from both sides of the aisle.

NormanPride
5/20/2009, 08:59 AM
I'm not sure what to make of this thread.

But I think having a tail would be awesome.

sooneron
5/20/2009, 10:01 AM
Funny you bring that up.

Why do you take things so literal?

Hell, even Jews do not take the book of Genesis (it is their own book) as literal as christians do.

You can still have a God, or creator, with evolution.

I think he's poking fun at the folks that think Adam and Eve rode dinosaurs. Not necessarily against a creator.

hellogoodbye
5/20/2009, 10:32 AM

word

Howzit
5/20/2009, 10:33 AM

It is.

Fraggle145
5/20/2009, 10:39 AM
Exactly. And this is one of those other issues where I just don't really give a damn. These days, it seems people take one side or the other just to scoreboard the other guys.

Me?

Well, we'll find out in the end I guess.

But just supposing that this is indeed the missing link that proves we all evolved from monkeys...how they did THEY get here?

Well that's just the thing... They evolved from a unicellular organism. Now how did the unicellular organism get there is the real question.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/116/311587917_2782332352_o.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_bgNRR4ZfVMk/R7bjq31frwI/AAAAAAAAAfc/oKHgv4hLdKk/s400/tree+copy.jpg

I mean if people dont see the evidence for evolution with what is out there, then one fossil that is called the missing link isnt going to do it.

But the theory of evolution makes no assumptions about a creator or not. So it doesnt preclude the possibility that some sort of deity made everything magically come together on a slow timetable etc... That some people who are proponents of evolutionary theory also think there isnt a god has nothing to do with what the theory actually says.

Collier11
5/20/2009, 10:57 AM

Its so funny what some choose to be fact, you can believe what you want but not all these "facts" add up.

And another thing, I hope you all realize that Creationism and evolution can work together. I dont understand all of you who believe that they are completely seperate.

I believe firmly in God but I also think that God created the world to evolve with the times just as humans and animals have. Having said that, I sure dont believe that we came from Apes or anything else.

Boomer.....
5/20/2009, 11:04 AM

We do have tailbones.

hellogoodbye
5/20/2009, 11:15 AM
We do have tailbones.

funktastic news

Fraggle145
5/20/2009, 11:29 AM
Its so funny what some choose to be fact, you can believe what you want but not all these "facts" add up.

And another thing, I hope you all realize that Creationism and evolution can work together. I dont understand all of you who believe that they are completely seperate.

I believe firmly in God but I also think that God created the world to evolve with the times just as humans and animals have. Having said that, I sure dont believe that we came from Apes or anything else.

Here is one of the things I dont get. What is the big deal about coming from Apes? so our ancient ancestors used to fling **** at eachother, so what? We dont. Well most of us ;). But I mean seriously its not like it was any time in the near past (and by near past I mean its not recorded anywhere in any sort of remembered history).

AggieTool
5/20/2009, 11:42 AM
Here is one of the things I dont get. What is the big deal about coming from Apes? so our ancient ancestors used to fling **** at eachother, so what? We dont. Well most of us ;). But I mean seriously its not like it was any time in the near past (and by near past I mean its not recorded anywhere in any sort of remembered history).

Some goobers still fling poo at each other.:D

AggieTool
5/20/2009, 11:44 AM
The bible says we were made in god's image.

('cept for the brain part cuz being as smart as god isn't allowed.):)

AggieTool
5/20/2009, 11:46 AM

Coming from apes would just be too outrageous...
even for God.:D

Fraggle145
5/20/2009, 12:02 PM

Who's to say god doesnt look like an ape? :O

JohnnyMack
5/20/2009, 12:16 PM
I can't think that if a God did exist that it would have made something so wildly inefficient as the universe to house our little old planet in.

Collier11
5/20/2009, 12:29 PM
it wasnt ineffecient until man screwed it all up

JohnnyMack
5/20/2009, 12:33 PM
it wasnt ineffecient until man screwed it all up

Man screwed up the universe? We've barely left the orbit of our own planet, how'd we screw up the entire universe?

stoops the eternal pimp
5/20/2009, 12:37 PM
Captain James T Kirk and his crew...thats how

soonerscuba
5/20/2009, 12:39 PM
how'd we screw up the entire universe?By electing Obama, just ask Tuba.

soonervegas
5/20/2009, 12:44 PM
I'm going to need a moment. Although this is only a distant relative it still hurts to see their remains just discarded like this, then dug up in the name of science.

Collier11
5/20/2009, 12:45 PM
By electing Obama, just ask Tuba.

Not yet, that comes in revelations :D

AggieTool
5/20/2009, 12:51 PM
Who's to say god doesnt look like an ape? :O

'Cuz the pictures in our books said so.:mad:

Collier11
5/20/2009, 12:52 PM
thats cus your books only include pics of sheep

Jacie
5/20/2009, 03:21 PM
Facts? You wouldn't know a fact if it hit your sloped, ape-shaped evolved forehead. You can go on believing any pile of horse**** you choose. I'll take my chances with my pile. We'll see who gets further on down the road.

On a sidenote, I seriously pity the folks who actually think they've got it all figured out. And I'm talking from both sides of the aisle.

On the contrary, Dean, science does not nor does any branch thereof claim to have it all figured out. It's the bible bangers that reserve that one for themselves. The Christian church (hereafter referred to simply as the church) had a monopoly on answers and dared anyone (at the risk of their life) to question them.

Science has been demonized by the Christian church for centuries. The story of Eve offering Adam an apple from the tree of knowledge should tell you how the church feels about science. The church has all the answers to everything and would just as soon the rest of us spend our time on Earth as happy idiots in the Garden of Eden. Didn't turn out that way though.

Observations of the world around us has, over time, stripped away the mystique that we call the Universe. From the ancient Greeks who understood that Earth was a ball, not a pancake or any other kind of flat surface to Galileo, who was sentenced to a lifetime of house arrest for having the gall to suggest the Earth moves around the Sun rather than viceversa. Only took the Catholic church 4 centuries to apologize for that one. Nicholas Copernicus didn't release his book outlining the idea of a heliocentric solar system till he lay on his deathbed for fear of being burned on the stake as a heretic. Giordano Bruno was for the same thing.

Then there's Charles Darwin. He pointed out a mechanism that showed that all life is intricately related, from the first single-celled organism to virtually every living thing since including us.

The Christians with their "evidence" in the form of a timeline derived from adding up all the "begats" just knew that the Earth wasn't old enough to support Darwinian evolution. Darn that old Marie Curie discovering radiation and giving scientists the tool they needed to prove the great age of the Earth! It took them a bit because they could only measure the rocks they could lay their hands on. They managed to establish that there were rocks on the surface at least 3.5 billion years old. There are also some zircon crystals that might be over 4 billion but it wasn't till they got their hands on some Moon rocks that they had honest-to-goodness 4.5 billion year old rocks. Another long-held belief of the church shot down in flames.

More recently, astronomy has through observing distant objects in space have pushed the age of the Universe back to 13.5 billion years. But then I guess you don't believe any of that either.

I stand by my second post that those who choose ignorance over knowledge are . . .

Turd_Ferguson
5/20/2009, 03:33 PM
blah blah blah blah blah, yammer yammer yammer...

I stand by my second post that those who choose ignorance over knowledge are . . .Don't have the bell's to say stupid eh?

C&CDean
5/20/2009, 03:34 PM
Dude, you wasted a lot of words on me. If you knew anything at all about me, you'd know that I don't follow any "church." In fact, I pretty much abhor them. In fact, organized religion is one of my pet peeves.

I do, however, believe in a supreme being. God, if you will. I also believe that human beings (just like the moron scientists you believe in) ****ed the Bible up, and it is my responsibility to try to read-between-the-lines. Bottom line, I pretty much gotta go with the Golden Rule, the 10 Commandments, and momma's firm hooters.

Every time "science" thinks they've figured something out it backs us up 10 years. I give you medicine for a prime example (how many folks have died trusting in their doctors - who trusted in pointy headed scientists?), but there's many, many more. Global warming? Blow me.

Anyhow, you can call me stupid if you must, but one day we'll both be dust, and then we'll know.

OklahomaRed
5/20/2009, 04:00 PM
You are confusing God with Religion. Religion is crap. God on the other hand only asks one thing, for you to worship HIM. I for one, don't want to mess with the diety that created time, space, matter, and energy. I think He can set His own rules. With that said, if you want to feel like you came from a lemur, rock on! :D

olevetonahill
5/20/2009, 04:06 PM
Ok since this has devolved to science ver Religion
Im just gonna add my 2 pennies
Religious folk so God created it all
Science folk say it was just a Big bang
Ok I gots a question ?
Just who or what
Let the Big fart to start it all ?

BornandBred
5/20/2009, 04:34 PM
Ok since this has devolved to science ver Religion
Im just gonna add my 2 pennies
Religious folk so God created it all
Science folk say it was just a Big bang
Ok I gots a question ?
Just who or what
Let the Big fart to start it all ?

One scientific theory is that there have been infinite big bangs. The bang goes, expands to the point it either exhausts its energy or gravity stops it's outward velocity (doubtful based on current doplar shift indicating outward ACCELERATION). Either case, it contracts back on itself until it gets small again and then explodes again due to internal stress. And the big bang repeats.

This might indicated time is an infinite loop, which is confusing as hell. But, time pisses me off anyways.

olevetonahill
5/20/2009, 04:40 PM
So God ate beans and Just keeps Fartin ?
Gotcha :D

stoops the eternal pimp
5/20/2009, 04:52 PM
I saw something like that missing link the time I went to vet's shack....it was either that or a bigfoot, or a big hairy wister chick with a tail

Turd_Ferguson
5/20/2009, 04:54 PM
I saw something like that missing link the time I went to vet's shack....it was either that or a bigfoot, or a big hairy wister chick with a tailthat was his "gimp".:D

stoops the eternal pimp
5/20/2009, 05:00 PM
I figured whatever it was, his neighbor's dogs ate it

olevetonahill
5/20/2009, 05:02 PM
****ers :P

Collier11
5/20/2009, 05:09 PM
One scientific theory is that there have been infinite big bangs. The bang goes, expands to the point it either exhausts its energy or gravity stops it's outward velocity (doubtful based on current doplar shift indicating outward ACCELERATION). Either case, it contracts back on itself until it gets small again and then explodes again due to internal stress. And the big bang repeats.

This might indicated time is an infinite loop, which is confusing as hell. But, time pisses me off anyways.

Thats cus with "science", if you want to explain away something, you can look long enough until you find something that will give you the answer you want. Science is accurate based on what? Nothing but other science. Well, you keep trusting science, ill trust God, we will see who ends up where. And for the record im not speaking directly to you, just people who choose science over God in general.

The way I see it, I believe science and am wrong I am screwed, I believe in God and am wrong then I just die apparently.

Id rather trust God, its worked out ok for me so far!

Fraggle145
5/20/2009, 06:36 PM
Dude, you wasted a lot of words on me. If you knew anything at all about me, you'd know that I don't follow any "church." In fact, I pretty much abhor them. In fact, organized religion is one of my pet peeves.

I do, however, believe in a supreme being. God, if you will. I also believe that human beings (just like the moron scientists you believe in) ****ed the Bible up, and it is my responsibility to try to read-between-the-lines. Bottom line, I pretty much gotta go with the Golden Rule, the 10 Commandments, and momma's firm hooters.

Every time "science" thinks they've figured something out it backs us up 10 years. I give you medicine for a prime example (how many folks have died trusting in their doctors - who trusted in pointy headed scientists?), but there's many, many more. Global warming? Blow me.

Anyhow, you can call me stupid if you must, but one day we'll both be dust, and then we'll know.

Medicine = what happens when science gets ****ed up with capital goals. There is no money in the cure only treatment. Its just a simple argument from selection. That is why truly virulent diseases and parasites dont last long, they kill all their hosts and then there is no place to live. Cure all your patients the money tree dies.

Just sayin.

OhU1
5/20/2009, 06:40 PM
The way I see it, I believe science and am wrong I am screwed, I believe in God and am wrong then I just die apparently.

Id rather trust God, its worked out ok for me so far!

Pascal's Wager. Hope you picked the correct God. If God turns out to be that Allah dude or Zeus - well crap!

Collier11
5/20/2009, 07:15 PM
Theres only one God

JohnnyMack
5/20/2009, 07:31 PM
Odin?

JohnnyMack
5/20/2009, 07:32 PM
Zeus?

JohnnyMack
5/20/2009, 07:35 PM
Bob Stoops?

SicEmBaylor
5/20/2009, 07:39 PM
People shouldn't take the Bible so literally. I avoid religious arguments like the plague, but really the stories are meant to teach a moral and ethical lesson and shouldn't be taken literally word-for-word.

Collier11
5/20/2009, 10:07 PM
thats your belief sic em, there are many that are very passionate that the Bible should be taken literally

JohnnyMack
5/20/2009, 10:35 PM
thats your belief sic em, there are many that are very passionate that the Bible should be taken literally

Hopefully not the Old Testament, angry god, kill 'em all part though. Right?

Collier11
5/20/2009, 10:40 PM
he he, just saying, some ppl believe that. There are some parts of the Bible I believe literally(most), some that I believe are a moral guide, overall though I believe in Christianity, not a said denomination.

Some ppl believe to the death in their denomination and that every story in the Bible is literal

BornandBred
5/20/2009, 11:09 PM
Pascal's Wager. Hope you picked the correct God. If God turns out to be that Allah dude or Zeus - well crap!

This seems familiar...

OhU1
5/21/2009, 12:24 AM
This seems familiar...
Ok, I see now - didn't know what you were referring to until I checked the Obama SUV thread and found it was actually a discussion about religion.

Appears Pascal's wager resonates with you somewhat. The added twist that even if you pick the "wrong God" you are still better off as long as you worship a God is novel. Just as valid as any religious theory or opinion but one I haven't heard before.

As a general comment on the Pascal argument - I find the whole cost/benefit type analysis for why a person should be a theist to be the epitome of insincerity and superstition. The Pascal's Wager type argument is little more than saying "believe in God (always the Christian God as it turns out) just in case He really exists." Surely such a "fire insurance" belief rationale would be sniffed out by any self respecting All Knowing God?

Fraggle145
5/21/2009, 02:10 AM
he he, just saying, some ppl believe that. There are some parts of the Bible I believe literally(most), some that I believe are a moral guide, overall though I believe in Christianity, not a said denomination.

Some ppl believe to the death in their denomination and that every story in the Bible is literal

The part that pisses me off is that if people are going to profess belief then believe. The picking and choosing with like the gay thing or the evolution thing, but not the I cant drink or dance thing gets on my ****ing nerves.

def_lazer_fc
5/21/2009, 02:46 AM
The part that pisses me off is that if people are going to profess belief then believe. The picking and choosing with like the gay thing or the evolution thing, but not the I cant drink or dance thing gets on my ****ing nerves.

no drinking or dancing? now thats just inconvenient.

dont even get me started on premarital sex....

OU_Sooners75
5/21/2009, 03:09 AM

Not sure if you are aware or not...

but image and intelligence does not mean the same thing.

def_lazer_fc
5/21/2009, 03:18 AM
heh. man made god in his image if anything. just look at all those pix of a white jesus.

BornandBred
5/21/2009, 07:51 AM
Ok, I see now - didn't know what you were referring to until I checked the Obama SUV thread and found it was actually a discussion about religion.

Appears Pascal's wager resonates with you somewhat. The added twist that even if you pick the "wrong God" you are still better off as long as you worship a God is novel. Just as valid as any religious theory or opinion but one I haven't heard before.

As a general comment on the Pascal argument - I find the whole cost/benefit type analysis for why a person should be a theist to be the epitome of insincerity and superstition. The Pascal's Wager type argument is little more than saying "believe in God (always the Christian God as it turns out) just in case He really exists." Surely such a "fire insurance" belief rationale would be sniffed out by any self respecting All Knowing God?

Yeah, that thread got jacked early and seemed to run in parallel to this one.
I absolutely agree that believing just cause you're scared of NOT believing is not the best option. But I think faith is the answer. I just brought up Pascal's Wager to sound smart...

Collier11
5/21/2009, 08:56 AM
If you are "believing" just cus you are scared and not cus you truly have given your life to God, you still dont win

BornandBred
5/21/2009, 09:22 AM
If you are "believing" just cus you are scared and not cus you truly have given your life to God, you still dont win

Yup.

OklahomaRed
5/21/2009, 11:54 AM
Let's say the Bible is just a well written book to assist civilizations in making it through the next 100 years without blowing up the entire planet? Let's just say any religious piece of work?

With that said, then why is it so important to call gay marriage "marriage"? What is the point? Just to **** off a couple of million (or billion people)? Wouldn't you think it makes sense not to screw everything that walks around before you get married? Going back to the medicine arguement, let's just screw everything and hope we don't get something Ajax won't cure?

Doesn't it make sense that a husband + wife + a decent set of principles to live by such as don't steal, don't murder, don't covet, don't marry your sister, don't bu%#tt fu^^ each other = children that might stand a chance of growing up to practice the same beliefs?

If that's not true and the opposite is true, then who gets to make the rules? Does the majority get to make the rules? Okay, does the majority get to say we can have 10 wives, have sex with our children, marry our favorite pet, or that we all have to put on turbans and bow to the east three times a day?

There just has to be a set or moral abosolutes that do not change with the tide? Who gets to set those? That's where writing the Bible (if you are an atheist) could be pointed to where some individuals from billions and billions of years of evolution figured out, "Hey, maybe we need to write a book about all these stories that keep getting handed down that would nail down once and for all how we can all exists on this planet together without killing each other over and over and over again, until we finally reach a point where we have the technology to actually make it stick one of these days?"

Don't you think something like that would have to be inspired by a creator that cared? If so, the studying all the various religions, Christianity seems to be the one that makes the most sense as far as that creator making the effort to reach out to man? The Zeus thing doesn't stick. The Muslims say convert everyone, if you can't covert them then make them pay a dumb tax, and if they won't pay the tax kill them. The Hindu's say we are all in a viscious feedback loop of coming back over and over again until we get it right? Okay, who started the feedback loop? The Budhist say you can all be gods? It never explains where matter, energy, the universe, or the cosmos came from. Even the piece about Christianity is difficult to explain how something came from nothing? In my opinion (and it's just my opinion) that had to come from someone that can not be explained, fathomed, or scientifically discovered.

JMO

Fraggle145
5/21/2009, 01:40 PM
Let's say the Bible is just a well written book to assist civilizations in making it through the next 100 years without blowing up the entire planet? Let's just say any religious piece of work?

With that said, then why is it so important to call gay marriage "marriage"? What is the point? Just to **** off a couple of million (or billion people)? Wouldn't you think it makes sense not to screw everything that walks around before you get married? Going back to the medicine arguement, let's just screw everything and hope we don't get something Ajax won't cure?

Doesn't it make sense that a husband + wife + a decent set of principles to live by such as don't steal, don't murder, don't covet, don't marry your sister, don't bu%#tt fu^^ each other = children that might stand a chance of growing up to practice the same beliefs?

Umm it hasnt worked out that way so far... 1st off lemme just say, seperate,but equal isnt equal. There was the sexual revolution and then conservatism came back swinging with Reagan and now sex and gay and all that stuff is coming back even stronger than before. 2nd why is butt****ing such a terrible thing? :pop:

Also, why do we need more kids? The planet is populated enough. And most of them are stupid. Not that they dont have capacity for intelligence, they do. They are just stupid. Everyone wants their children to share their values so that they get more of what they want.

If that's not true and the opposite is true, then who gets to make the rules? Does the majority get to make the rules? Okay, does the majority get to say we can have 10 wives, have sex with our children, marry our favorite pet, or that we all have to put on turbans and bow to the east three times a day?

There just has to be a set or moral abosolutes that do not change with the tide? Who gets to set those? That's where writing the Bible (if you are an atheist) could be pointed to where some individuals from billions and billions of years of evolution figured out, "Hey, maybe we need to write a book about all these stories that keep getting handed down that would nail down once and for all how we can all exists on this planet together without killing each other over and over and over again, until we finally reach a point where we have the technology to actually make it stick one of these days?"

Don't you think something like that would have to be inspired by a creator that cared? If so, the studying all the various religions, Christianity seems to be the one that makes the most sense as far as that creator making the effort to reach out to man? The Zeus thing doesn't stick. The Muslims say convert everyone, if you can't covert them then make them pay a dumb tax, and if they won't pay the tax kill them. The Hindu's say we are all in a viscious feedback loop of coming back over and over again until we get it right? Okay, who started the feedback loop? The Budhist say you can all be gods? It never explains where matter, energy, the universe, or the cosmos came from. Even the piece about Christianity is difficult to explain how something came from nothing? In my opinion (and it's just my opinion) that had to come from someone that can not be explained, fathomed, or scientifically discovered.

JMO

Everyone knows the people with money/power make the rules... Either directly or indirectly.

However you also make the mistake of saying that all morality must be tied to or derived from religion. Not true. Morality could easily be selected for behaviorally by evolution. No book required.

And no I dont think such a book would have to be inspired by a creator. It could just as easily be inspired by an egotistical prophet that hoped to be remembered in history (I am not saying that is necessarily true of any of the prophets in any of the "good" books). And christianity doesnt make the most sense since half of their religion is derived from Judaism. Hence, one could argue that Judaism made the most sense... but oh wait that god was angry and mean :(.

Why does it have to come from something that cant be explained?? Because you cant fathom it!? That is the part that atheists in general hate. We think that it is a cop out to say I cant understand how it happened, so it had to be a god. Why not at least see if we can find out!? We have already gained a lot of understanding, why does it have to be beyond comprehension?

Gandalf_The_Grey
5/21/2009, 02:52 PM
Man screwed up the universe? We've barely left the orbit of our own planet, how'd we screw up the entire universe?

Two words....Paris Hilton...her fail is epic

crawfish
5/21/2009, 02:55 PM
You are confusing God with Religion. Religion is crap. God on the other hand only asks one thing, for you to worship HIM. I for one, don't want to mess with the diety that created time, space, matter, and energy. I think He can set His own rules. With that said, if you want to feel like you came from a lemur, rock on! :D

God without religion is deism, which is as good as no god at all.