PDA

View Full Version : What are you reading?

royalfan5
5/18/2009, 09:16 PM
Currently, I'm working on Rising Sun and Tumbling Bear about the Russo-Japanese War, and The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay.

SoonerProphet
5/18/2009, 09:19 PM
Still trying to finish Chesty, obviously on Chesty Puller.

Curly Bill
5/18/2009, 09:20 PM
Dillinger -- The Untold Story (expanded edition)

For anyone interested in the gangster era of bankrobbing and public enemies and the like it's a great read.

BudSooner
5/18/2009, 09:27 PM
This thread?

olevetonahill
5/18/2009, 09:32 PM
This thread?

Winnah
I was gonna say the SO :D

BudSooner
5/18/2009, 10:21 PM
Yeah, my comprehension is null this time of day. :D

Frozen Sooner
5/18/2009, 10:40 PM
When You Are Engulfed in Flames-David Sedaris

soonerscuba
5/18/2009, 10:56 PM
The Demon Haunted World - Science as a Candle in the Dark for what might be the 10th time.

Ike
5/18/2009, 10:57 PM
"Reaper Man"

Frozen Sooner
5/18/2009, 11:27 PM
"Reaper Man"

Really good book.

I just picked up Content by Cory Doctorow. Dave, I think you'd really like this. Doctorow makes all his stuff available under cc license at his website www.craphound.com.

picasso
5/18/2009, 11:35 PM
wife wants me to read this:
http://www.coverbrowser.com/image/bestsellers-2008/174-6.jpg

just reread this:
http://www.madisonpubliclibrary.org/madreads/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/abe.jpg

SicEmBaylor
5/18/2009, 11:38 PM
Currently, I'm working on Rising Sun and Tumbling Bear about the Russo-Japanese War

This actually sounds pretty good, is it? Judging by the title, the author clearly has a slight dry wit.

SCOUT
5/18/2009, 11:54 PM
I am reading Moby Dick. I decided it was time to re-read this one because I didn't really appreciate it in high school.

SicEmBaylor
5/18/2009, 11:55 PM
I am reading Moby Dick. I decided it was time to re-read this one because I didn't really appreciate it in high school.

The only book I read in HS that I liked was The Great Gatsby.

Lott's Bandana
5/18/2009, 11:55 PM
Still trying to finish Chesty, obviously on Chesty Puller.

good one^^

I'm reading Game of Shadows and shaking my head.

SCOUT
5/18/2009, 11:56 PM
The only book I read in HS that I liked was The Great Gatsby.

I liked The Great Gatsby and The Lord of the Flies

olevetonahill
5/19/2009, 12:05 AM
Shat happens
By Deal Withit :rolleyes:

SicEmBaylor
5/19/2009, 12:09 AM
I liked The Great Gatsby and The Lord of the Flies

LOTF just made me hate kids even more.

ouwasp
5/19/2009, 12:09 AM
The War Hitler Won by Nicholas Bethell.... it's about the Reich storming over Poland with Britain and France playing patti-cake as they trembled and decided to go to war. Georges Bonnet (French FM) strikes me as one tremendous *********. Makes Chamberlain look like George Patton.

SCOUT
5/19/2009, 12:11 AM
LOTF just made me hate kids even more.

But that is the whole point. The kids acted just like the adults when left to their own devices. We may think we are all growed up but human nature is human nature regardless of age.

SicEmBaylor
5/19/2009, 12:17 AM
But that is the whole point. The kids acted just like the adults when left to their own devices. We may think we are all growed up but human nature is human nature regardless of age.

Right, so why does everyone always proclaim the innocence of children?

olevetonahill
5/19/2009, 12:33 AM

Modern Animal Farm ?

Crucifax Autumn
5/19/2009, 12:59 AM
I'm reading Harlan Coben's One Final Detail. Seems good so far, but I know from experience that his formula will kick in and by the end I will be unimpressed or perhaps just think it's ok.

Next in line fiction-wise is King's Duma Key.

After that I'll be filling in some more complicated stuff...I like variety though.

royalfan5
5/19/2009, 06:51 AM
This actually sounds pretty good, is it? Judging by the title, the author clearly has a slight dry wit.

Well it is written by a retired British Army Officer.

OU4LIFE
5/19/2009, 07:04 AM
Just finished the last of the Harry Dresden book a few weeks ago. Now I'm working through Stephen Kings Just After Sunset short stories and Joe HIll's 20th Century Ghosts.

BornandBred
5/19/2009, 08:18 AM
Ayn Rand's 'Atlas Shrugged'. I started before Obama got elected but I'm such a slow reader, it's taking me FOR-EV-ER.

John Kochtoston
5/19/2009, 11:41 AM
Schultz and Peanuts by David Michaelis. It's about Dennis the Menace and Hank Ketchum.

soonerfan28
5/19/2009, 11:58 AM
About the most reading I do is on this website. Maybe I'm just ADHD.

SicEmBaylor
5/19/2009, 02:27 PM
Ayn Rand's 'Atlas Shrugged'. I started before Obama got elected but I'm such a slow reader, it's taking me FOR-EV-ER.

Great great book, but I skipped the long speech part toward the end. It became a bit repetitive and I got the idea. ;)

BornandBred
5/19/2009, 03:24 PM
Great great book, but I skipped the long speech part toward the end. It became a bit repetitive and I got the idea. ;)

I got the point of the entire book about 20 pages in. She doesn't really mask it. I'll read like 100 pages, then take a break for a month or two. The story seems to be pretty easy to pick right back up. I've enjoyed it so far.

soonermix
5/19/2009, 04:30 PM
Tarzan

SouthFortySooner
5/19/2009, 05:32 PM
Christopher Moore's- FOOL. A bawdry tale.

soonersis
5/19/2009, 05:48 PM
I read for pure entertainment, not believability. I just finished The Southern Vampire Series. All 9 books in about 10 days.

Curly Bill
5/19/2009, 08:58 PM
Finished my Dillinger book last night. Tonight I'll be starting:

Baby Face Nelson -- Portrait of A Public Enemy.

Going through a little gangster phase right now. After Dillinger and Nelson it's on to Oklahoma's own Pretty Boy Floyd.

SicEmBaylor
5/19/2009, 09:34 PM
Finished my Dillinger book last night. Tonight I'll be starting:

Baby Face Nelson -- Portrait of A Public Enemy.

Going through a little gangster phase right now. After Dillinger and Nelson it's on to Oklahoma's own Pretty Boy Floyd.

When my grandfather was a boy he would collect frogs to sell to restaurants so they could make frog legs. So he and a friend were doing this one day when a car pulls up and asks them if they want a ride into town so they get into the car (it was a different time and I guess more trusting). So, these guys drive my grandfather into town and then buy him some ice cream and drop him off. As it turns out, it was Pretty Boy Floyd who picked them up. My grandfather said he thinks he did it because the cops would pay less attention to a car full of kids.

BornandBred
5/19/2009, 09:53 PM
I read for pure entertainment, not believability. I just finished The Southern Vampire Series. All 9 books in about 10 days.

That the Ann Rice series?
No, I'm thinking of the Vampire Chronicals. Great books, but they got a little tough to read after a while.

Frozen Sooner
5/19/2009, 10:02 PM
No, I'm thinking of the Vampire Chronicals. Great books, but they got a little tough to read after a while.

Charlaine Harris. The HBO series True Blood is based on these books.

I'll admit that I've read all of these books. I put 'em roughly on the level of the Harry Dresden books-not literature or anything, but entertaining.

SicEmBaylor
5/19/2009, 10:05 PM
That chick from True Blood...gap teeth have never been so damned hot.

Curly Bill
5/19/2009, 10:08 PM
When my grandfather was a boy he would collect frogs to sell to restaurants so they could make frog legs. So he and a friend were doing this one day when a car pulls up and asks them if they want a ride into town so they get into the car (it was a different time and I guess more trusting). So, these guys drive my grandfather into town and then buy him some ice cream and drop him off. As it turns out, it was Pretty Boy Floyd who picked them up. My grandfather said he thinks he did it because the cops would pay less attention to a car full of kids.

That's awesome! :D There are a number of similar stories of guys like Dillinger, Floyd, and even Nelson (who was supposedly one of the meanest of the breed) doing things like this with ordinary folks then soon after driving into town and holding a bank up. :D

One of the stories involves Dillinger and three others, one of whom was likely Baby Face Nelson, stopping at a cafe in Saylarville, Iowa that was being manned by a 14 yr old girl and her two younger siblings as the parents had gone into town. The gang ordered lunch, and then while waiting for it to be prepared, went out and saw the young boy messing with the calves. They asked what he was doing and he said playing rodeo, when he explained that meant riding the calves and such, the gang took their turns while waiting for lunch to be ready. Because the guys were so nice to the kids when a car full of FBI guys came roaring up later and asked where they'd gone the kids pointed them in the wrong direction. Later that day the gang hit the nearby Mason City bank.

Curly Bill
5/19/2009, 10:09 PM

Yup, some of the Anne Rice books I liked a lot, some...not so much.

OU4LIFE
5/20/2009, 09:46 AM
Charlaine Harris. The HBO series True Blood is based on these books.

I'll admit that I've read all of these books. I put 'em roughly on the level of the Harry Dresden books-not literature or anything, but entertaining.

I'd argue that the Harris and Butcher books indeed express ideas of permanent or universal interest, and therefor ARE literature. While it's not scholarly, scientific or even symphonic literature, I think it still qualifies.

At the same time, I get what you really meant...:D

goodonya
5/20/2009, 10:22 AM
Recently finished:

Death Dealer: The Memoirs of the SS Kommandant at Auschwitz

Stalking the Red Bear: The True Story of a US Cold War Sub Covert Op Against the Soviet Union

Touching History: The Untold Story of the Drama That Unfolded in the Skies Over America on 9/11

The Accountant's Story: Inside the Violent World of the Medellin Cartel

Gamorrah: A Personal Journey into the Violent International Empire of Naples' Organized Crime System

House of Cards: A Tale of Hubris and Wretched Excess on Wall Street

Blank Spots on the Map: The Dark Geography of the Pentagon's Secret World

All worth the read.

BornandBred
5/20/2009, 10:37 AM
I finished Positively Fifth Street a while back. A great read for anyone interested in poker or Vegas in general

Lott's Bandana
5/20/2009, 07:31 PM
Recently finished:

Stalking the Red Bear: The True Story of a US Cold War Sub Covert Op Against the Soviet Union

Which boat?

I'll have to check this out...I likely know a great deal of the crew. Did they use real names?

goodonya
5/21/2009, 03:34 PM
They did not give up the US captains real name nor the Sturgeon-class boat name. The mission was part of operation Holystone in the Barents Sea.

TUSooner
5/21/2009, 03:41 PM
Currently, I'm working on Rising Sun and Tumbling Bear about the Russo-Japanese War....

I've been looking in the used bookstores for that, without success. I've just started Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close

What's that Kavalier and Clay dealy?

walkoffsooner
5/21/2009, 03:50 PM
The band line up at Buffalo chip

crawfish
5/21/2009, 04:01 PM
https://www.morgenwelt.org/shop/shop/images/40305.jpg

TUSooner
5/21/2009, 04:57 PM
https://www.morgenwelt.org/shop/shop/images/40305.jpg

I like his parade.

royalfan5
5/21/2009, 05:05 PM
I've been looking in the used bookstores for that, without success. I've just started Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close

What's that Kavalier and Clay dealy?
It's a novel by Michael Chabon about Jewish cousins who are comic book artists and magicians circa WWII. I haven't got very far into it yet so I can't explain too much more yet.

Frozen Sooner
5/21/2009, 09:48 PM
It's a novel by Michael Chabon about Jewish cousins who are comic book artists and magicians circa WWII. I haven't got very far into it yet so I can't explain too much more yet.

It's an absolutely outstanding book. Won a Pulitzer, if I'm not mistaken. The book was so good, in fact, that the comic Kavalier and Klay end up making in the novel spawned an actual comic that was published for a while.

I'm a pretty big Chabon pimp, though. Guy's a damn talented writer.