PDA

View Full Version : Your Top 10 Coaches(Active)

Collier11
5/18/2009, 03:57 PM
1) Urban Meyer- How can you argue with Two natl titles in 4 years?

2) Coach Stoops- 4 natl title appearances in 10 years, unheard of as well as 6 conf titles

3) Pete Carroll- Loses credit for beating Big 10 teams every year and choking away atleast one bad game a year. Still top notch

4) Mack Brown- Has moved up a lot on my list

5) Jim Tressel- Much like Pete dominates weak conf, much like us not winning big games lately

6) Nick Saban- Moving back up the list fast

7) Chris Peterson- Has been great at Boise, needs to go somewhere else

8) Joe Paterno- Seems to have found it again

9) Kyle Whittingham-Has kept Utah as a top tier program

10) Gary Patterson- Great coach at TCU, wonder if he could succeed at a big time program?

Just Missed- Mangino, Beamer, Leach, Richt, Nutt, Grobe

JLEW1818
5/18/2009, 04:29 PM
1) Pete Carroll
2) Urban Meyer
3) Bob Stoops
4) Nick Saban
5) Jim Tressel
6) Mack Brown
7) Mark Richt
8) Chris Peterson
9) Gary Patterson
10) Joe Paterno

that is with my Crimson glasses off. If you want me to put them on, **** everyone cept Stoops

Collier11
5/18/2009, 04:35 PM
I dont see how Richt can be in the Top 10 of any list, has he ever actually won anything? Sure, he can win 10 games a year but he gets trounced atleast once or twice every season

soonervegas
5/18/2009, 04:37 PM
1. Meyer
2. Carroll
3. Stoops
4. Tressell
5. Brown
6. Saban
7. Leach
8. Richt
9. Paterno*
10. Miles

*If he were to get his team to another BCS game or BCS title in the next year or two he would vault into the top 5.

JLEW1818
5/18/2009, 04:38 PM
I dont see how Richt can be in the Top 10 of any list, has he ever actually won anything? Sure, he can win 10 games a year but he gets trounced atleast once or twice every season

Georgia is the best team this decade, not to win a national title game. He is quite debatable being in the current active top 10. But as far as down the road, I think he has some success coming. He's close.

But your right, he could be anywhere from 7-20.

NormanPride
5/18/2009, 05:22 PM
Pulled from ESPN.com:

1. Kirk Ferentz
2. Kirk Ferentz
3. Kirk Ferentz
4. Kirk Ferentz
5. Kirk Ferentz
6. Kirk Ferentz
7. Kirk Ferentz
8. Kirk Ferentz
9. Kirk Ferentz
10. Kirk Ferentz

;)

JLEW1818
5/18/2009, 05:27 PM
hahahahahahahahahaahahaha

soonerinabilene
5/18/2009, 07:32 PM
Georgia is the best team this decade, not to win a national title game.

"what the f*ck, man?"-pokefan

The Remnant
5/19/2009, 03:33 PM
Pete Carroll coaches in a weak conference. When is the last time a Pac 10 school won the National Championship besides USC?

NormanPride
5/19/2009, 03:42 PM
Washington had a couple disputed ones in the early 90s, but you'd have to go back to '54 when UCLA won one. And people wonder why nobody cares about west coast football?

Fraggle145
5/19/2009, 05:44 PM

He did win the SEC twice...

soonerfan28
5/19/2009, 06:13 PM
1. Urban Meyer
2. Bob Stoops
3. Nick Saban
4. Mack Brown
5. Butch Davis
6. Joe Paterno
7....................I lost interest

goingoneight
5/19/2009, 06:44 PM
Here's my opinion:

Stoops is doing an awesome job.

Who cares about the rest? If Stoops leaves, I don't think we're taking any of those others away from their current jobs.

PC? Yeah, right... if you could make 4 mill here, or 4 mill in So Cal... where would you go?
Mack? "Wanna come play for Texas" is all he'll ever have to ask recruits he's *not* battling Stoops for.
Saban? Do we really want to pay someone 5 mill a year right off the bat? He's good, but is he really THAT good? Really?
Meyer? See: Carroll, Pete.

OU's a great job currently occupied by one of the best, if not the best in the business. But without a great active coach, we're Notre Dame, Georgia, USC... a powerhouse program with a lot to offer. Since we're not shopping, I say **** 'em all.

Now, if we were shopping...
Up-and-comers in coordinator positions:
Kevin Wilson/Brent Venables/Florida's current DC whose name escapes me

Ones (that we'd actually want) we could steal from other programs:
Mike Stoops and Chris Petersen I think would bite.

I know Castiglione, though... if Stoops decided to leave, and I bet he'd give Joe a little more notice than the likes of Saban and Rodriguez... I can see everyone currently on staff being evaluated first and foremost. I think that's a fair assessment given our staff's ability to assist Bob to 11-12 wins every year. Castiglione would consider the recruiting ties we have with the current staff would take with them if he went and tried to buy another coach away from somewhere. He would consier that outsiders likely won't have the instant success Bob did simply because of recruiting ties and because Bob's such a rare find.

If the current staff for some crazy reason didn't produce at least a 3-year experiment... I could see Joe C. starting from scratch like he did with that DC from Florida back in 1998. If not that, I could see him looking into the smaller divisions or mid-majors for a guy like Petersen, Graham at Tulsey or maybe a former Stoops assistant like Sumlin, Mikey Stoops, Mangino (though not likely).

olevetonahill
5/19/2009, 06:53 PM
Bob Stoops
the rest can kiss my *** ;)
jes sayin

OUAlumni1990
5/19/2009, 11:37 PM
Pete Carroll coaches in a weak conference. When is the last time a Pac 10 school won the National Championship besides USC?

I would agree except Pete Carroll usually gets it done during the post season as well, no matter the competition.

I still think Stoops is the best, he just needs to get past this bowl game funk thats been lingering around like a dark cloud...

Crucifax Autumn
5/20/2009, 12:12 AM
1. Bob Stoops
2. ....................I lost interest

Fixed

badger
5/20/2009, 08:21 AM

Ok, let's argue. What's more impressive - taking a sh!t team and making them a bowl team, or doing exactly as well as you should in a recruiting hotbed area, just as coaches before you have?

I think being a "top" coach should be re-thought. What Patterson's done at a mid-major team getting the leftover recruit scraps that no area SEC/Big 12 teams want is impressive. Whittingham keeping Utah in the BCS after Meyer left and then beating the SEC's historic pride and joy is impressive.

Winning the Rose Bowl every year with your NFL-team-stuck-in-college-till-they're-juniors does not impress me (Petey Cheatey). Winning the Big 10 virtually every year when there's no competition, only to go and lose your bowl does not impress me (Trezzel). Getting great recruits in a recruiting hotbed and having one conference and one national championship to show for it does not impress me (Macc).

Collier11
5/20/2009, 09:06 AM
Meyer has won 2 of the 3 of Floridas natl titles all-time

RedstickSooner
5/20/2009, 09:32 AM
Yeah, I'm sorry, but you can't claim that Meier just came in and did what everyone else did. Great -- he's in a recruiting hot spot... So are half the decent teams out there. It's why they're decent.

Dude has the hardware, and he had a great run at whatever podunk shiitehole school he coached at to get to Florida. Utah, wasn't it?

Maybe we'll get a do-over this year, see if we can beat him like a rented mule. That'd be nice. But we can't take away what he's done.

Me, I take consolation in the fact that he doesn't seem like a total asshat.

soonerfan28
5/20/2009, 09:36 AM
Fixed

Somehow I left Carroll off that list but he would be 3 or 4.

badger
5/20/2009, 09:49 AM
But we can't take away what he's done.

But I want to :(

Scooter McCade
5/20/2009, 11:14 AM

2) Coach Stoops- 4 natl title appearances in 10 years, unheard of as well as 6 conf titles

3) Pete Carroll- Loses credit for beating Big 10 teams every year and choking away atleast one bad game a year. Still top notch

4) Mack Brown- Has moved up a lot on my list

5) Jim Tressel- Much like Pete dominates weak conf, much like us not winning big games lately

6) Nick Saban- Moving back up the list fast

7) Chris Peterson- Has been great at Boise, needs to go somewhere else

8) Joe Paterno- Seems to have found it again

9) Kyle Whittingham-Has kept Utah as a top tier program

10) Gary Patterson- Great coach at TCU, wonder if he could succeed at a big time program?

Just Missed- Mangino, Beamer, Leach, Richt, Nutt, Grobe
O.K. I may be a Sooner fan but that doesn't mean I'm going to hero worship Stoops...Stoops makes my top 20 but doesn't crack my top 10 or even top 15, to be honest. Put Stoops at somewhere with less overwhelming state, fan recruiting and facility support, like say Tulane, Iowa State or Indiana and he's a 7-5 or maybe 8-4 coach tops in my book...
Best regards,
Scooter McCade

JLEW1818
5/20/2009, 11:16 AM
O.K. I may be a Sooner fan but that doesn't mean I'm going to hero worship Stoops...Stoops makes my top 20 but doesn't crack my top 10 or even top 15, to be honest. Put Stoops at somewhere with less overwhelming state, fan recruiting and facility support, like say Tulane, Iowa State or Indiana and he's a 7-5 or maybe 8-4 coach tops in my book...
Best regards,
Scooter McCade

HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

UberSooner
5/20/2009, 11:17 AM
There is no good argument to be made against Urban Meyer as a top 3 H.C. in college. All he does is win with an O system he perfected and continues to modify to fit his talent. I put Leach in the top 5 for the same reason. He whips at least one big dog every year with less talent than everyone in the big 12 cept Baylor.

JLEW1818
5/20/2009, 11:18 AM
There is no good argument to be made against Urban Meyer as a top 3 H.C. in college. All he does is win with an O system he perfected and continues to modify to fit his talent. I put Leach in the top 5 for the same reason. He whips at least one big dog every year with less talent than everyone in the big 12 cept Baylor.

How many times has Leach won his division?

end of story.

Collier11
5/20/2009, 11:20 AM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

This guy is an obvious troll or he has no clue about football

goingoneight
5/20/2009, 11:27 AM
How many times has Leach won his division?

end of story.

How many times has Spurrier won his at USC?
Placement means a lot. Tech is a shythole jorb and Leach has done awesome there. If they would ever field a defense, they'd be 10-2ish every year. Also kinda hard to win your division when you're battling for distant third annually with two powerhouse programs... led by top 5 coaches.

Scooter McCade
5/20/2009, 11:28 AM
AS much as I hate to admit is as an OU fan, Pete Carroll is a way better coach than Bob Stoops. No contest. He maximizes his personnel much better, has better success with his teams and record, creates superior games plans to Stoops, and is less of a crybaby (though he's had his moments) to boot.

I guess someof you may have figured out by now that I'm not a huge Bob Stoops fan. No disrespect to you or to him, but to be straightforward about it, I happen to find the guy considerably overrated in coaching ability. Yep, his team's have enjoyed tremendous success but he has had all the advantages on his side and I just don't feel that he's been the main reason they've been successful.
Best regards,
Scooter McCade

badger
5/20/2009, 11:30 AM
Pete Carroll is a way better cheater than Bob Stoops. No contest.

I totally agree. What, with Stoops' morals and obligation to turn the program into the NCAA and kick off starters who break rules?! No contest! Pete Carroll would NEVER cooperate with the NCAA if his players cheated!

JLEW1818
5/20/2009, 11:30 AM
How many times has Spurrier won his at USC?
Placement means a lot. Tech is a shythole jorb and Leach has done awesome there. If they would ever field a defense, they'd be 10-2ish every year. Also kinda hard to win your division when you're battling for distant third annually with two powerhouse programs... led by top 5 coaches.

yes, but Spurrier did win at Florida. It's hard to answer the question between "best coaches of all time " vs "current coaches"

Spurrier is not a top ten current coach.

sure its great story leach has made tech to be. But they have still accomplished nothing, at all. they have won nothing.

JLEW1818
5/20/2009, 11:32 AM
AS much as I hate to admit is as an OU fan, Pete Carroll is a way better coach than Bob Stoops. No contest. He maximizes his personnel much better, has better success with his teams and record, creates superior games plans to Stoops, and is less of a crybaby (though he's had his moments) to boot.

I guess someof you may have figured out by now that I'm not a huge Bob Stoops fan. No disrespect to you or to him, but to be straightforward about it, I happen to find the guy considerably overrated in coaching ability. Yep, his team's have enjoyed tremendous success but he has had all the advantages on his side and I just don't feel that he's been the main reason they've been successful.
Best regards,
Scooter McCade

now, if you look at my top 10 list on the first page, you will see that there are 2 people i named before the coach at Oklahoma. but I will never flat out say, so in so is better than that coach at Oklahoma........ :D

The Remnant
5/20/2009, 12:44 PM
The football program at USC is out-of-control, and Pete Carroll pulls a Sgt. Schultz, " I know nothing!" If you are talking about integrity, Stoops>Carroll.

The Remnant
5/20/2009, 12:58 PM
Someone needs to tell Scooter to put down the crack pipe.

SteelClip49
5/22/2009, 11:15 AM
1. Carroll
2. Meyer
3. Stoops
4. Brown
5. Tressel
6. Paterno
7. Beamer
8. Saban
9. Miles
10. Mangino

bent rider
5/22/2009, 04:33 PM
1. Urban Meyer
2. Bob Stoops
3. Nick Saban
4. *Mack* Brown
5. Butch Davis
6. Joe Paterno
7....................I lost interest

I guess you missed the Sugar Bowl

JLEW1818
5/22/2009, 04:40 PM
I guess you missed the Sugar Bowl

If your referring to Saban, we can't really talk. What he did with Alabama is pretty impressive, in that short period of time.

If your not talking about that, disregard.

SoonerInFortSmith
5/23/2009, 12:23 PM
1. Art Briles (SicEm- this one's for you)
2. Mike Price
3. Bobby Bowden
4. Tyrone Willingham
5. Charlie Weis
6. Ron Prince
7. Houston McNutt
8. Gary Pinkel-Stinkel
9. Howard Schmellenberger
10. Greg Robinson

You did say worst ten, right?

meoveryouxinfinity
5/23/2009, 04:37 PM
Depends on what "success" can be defined as.

active coaches that have won a national title.
I don't know how updated this is...fyi

Pete Carroll -- USC (1 BCSNC in 2004 at USC)
Mack Brown -- Texas (1 BCSNC in 2005 at Texas)
Bob Stoops -- Oklahoma (1 BCSNC in 2000 at Oklahoma)
Jim Tressell -- OSU (1 BCSNC in 2002 at Ohio State)
Bobby Bowden -- FSU (2 NCs in 1993 AND 1999)
Steve Spurrier -- South Carolina (1 NC in 1996)
Urban Meyer -- Florida (2 BCSNC in 2006 and 2008)
Nick Saban -- Alabama (1 BCSNC in 2003)
Dennis Erickson -- ASU (2 NCs in 1989 and 1991 at Miami)
Joe Paterno -- PSU (2 NCs in 1982 and 1986 at Penn State)[/B]
Howard that old drunk -- Florida-Atlantic International (1 NC in 1983 at Miami)
Les Miles -- LSU (1 BCSNC in 2007 at LSU)

My Top 10 Coaches:
1. Bob Stoops
2. Urban Meyer
3. Nick Saban
4. Pete Carroll
5. Jim Tressell
6. Joe Paterno
7. Mack Brown
8. Jim Grobe
9. Les Miles
10. Chris Peterson

A General CFB fans' Top 10:
1. Urban Meyer
2. Pete Carroll
3. Bob Stoops
4. Jim Tressell
5. Mack Brown
6. Joe Paterno
7. Les Miles
8. Bobby Bowden
9. Frank Beamer
10. Mark Richt

soonerinabilene
5/23/2009, 04:53 PM

Best regards,
Scooter McCade

Nick!!! How the hell are you? How many different screen names does that make for you here, like 12?

boomermagic
5/29/2009, 11:52 AM
I think this is pretty accurate..

Snyder
Carrol
meyer
Stoops
Leach
Mangino
Paterno
Tressel
Petersen
Brown

boomermagic
5/29/2009, 01:30 PM
Best regards,
Scooter McCade

I have to agree with this but IF you put the other TOP 10 coaches in those situations they would probably do the same.. Stoops wins big because he is at OU.. It doesn't take a great coach to win here but after he has been here and won he is believed to be a G R E A T coach.. Same thing at florida Ohio st. USC etc.. The tradition makes a good coach great.. Stoops FITS good at OU people like snelly didn't and snelly is a good coach or at least was at one time but it is the tradition that allows success in most cases.. One of the very best ever IMO is Bill Snyder he is or was a GREAT coach..

The Remnant
5/29/2009, 02:08 PM
There are several posters here on the Pete Carroll bandwagon. He definitely can coach up a defense. I am not so sure on his ability to coach an offense, however. They had that one great year in 2005, the first year with Norm Chow gone. Since then his offenses have been pretty ordinary.

boomermagic
5/29/2009, 03:37 PM
There are several posters here on the Pete Carroll bandwagon. He definitely can coach up a defense. I am not so sure on his ability to coach an offense, however. They had that one great year in 2005, the first year with Norm Chow gone. Since then his offenses have been pretty ordinary.

You don't have to be an offensive genius to win at usc or OU... Stoops was never an offensive coach and never played offense unless it was in hi school.. The assistant coaches do the coaching at most universities.. Great assistants like Mike Stoops Mark Mangino Mike Leach get it done.. Stoops can sell the program and that is Important He is good at what he does and leaves MOST of the coaching to his fine assistants.. Brent On defense and Wilson and Norvel on offense along with the others get the job done.. Switzer had some great assistants and even gave them the credit and he alway's said that they won because they were at OU.. Pete wins because he is at usc Bob and Pete are both good coaches a bad coach or one that just doesn't fit the program will not win as many games but ANY good coach will win 9 or 10 games at OU otherwise... It's not because Bob is so great it is because OU has the fantastic tradition.. You have to build that it isn't given to you and Bud and Barry did that now Bob is adding his part..

goingoneight
5/29/2009, 08:36 PM
Bad coach at OU = Boo
meh coach at OU = Gibbs
Retread Coach at OU = Schnelly
Good Coach at OU = Fairbanks
Great Coach at OU = Wilkinson, Switzer, Stoops

You don't win a National Championship just because you fell into a good job, and you sure as hell don't average the wins per year Stoops, Switzer and Wilkinson did without as stated above, quality assistants and being a damn fine recruiter, coach, student of the game.

"Decent" coaches who fall into good jobs could NOT do what Stoops did in 2000, 2003, 2004, 2006 especially and last year. "Decent" coaches who fall into good jobs often find one GREAT year (classified as a BCS run), then become... well... Charlie Weiss afterward. This is at great programs. Some of the finest coaches may not even be at a major program right now. Look at what Mangino's doing in Kansas, Leach at Tech, two of the toughest places to recruit to and win in football.

It's hard to sustain success for lesser programs when they graduate a Michael Crabtree because signing guys like that to lesser programs is a rare event. While programs like Oklahoma might miss out on Barry Sanders one year, over the course of time they'll have five star guys waiting in line, the finest quality linemen to block for them doing the same. At one time we had FOUR NFL receivers on OUr roster. NTM guys redshirting who would start or at least play elsewhere.

The Remnant
5/30/2009, 12:01 PM
boomermagic, I think what I am trying to say is that Carroll has been resting on his laurels since Chow left. Alot of the success of USC's offense during the Chow years were incorrectly attributed to Carroll. USC has had some good teams recently. I just don't think they're ever going to achieve what they did offensively when Chow was the OC. They will be very good, but not because of their offense. Secondly, I can't stand SC and would like to carpet bomb their campus.

ashley
5/30/2009, 03:13 PM
I think Carroll, Meyer, Brown and Tressell should all be near the top but lets not forget they have the best recruiting area's in the country. This is why I think Stoops is clearly up there with them.