PDA

View Full Version : We set out the flags for the veterans

stoops the eternal pimp
5/18/2009, 03:05 PM
We spent yesterday afternoon walking across a section of the cemetary looking for the final resting places of men and women that had served in the military. As always, we gathered my children and my brother's kids, and told them why we do what we do and gave them the rundown about what it means to serve for your country.

What was awesome was that my daughter, who is going to be 5 in 2 weeks, took my son (who turned 3 yesterday) and her cousins, and explained to them about what we were doing as well. She took them to my dad's (who adopted me) grave site, and said " This is our grandpa's grave. He fought in a war of worlds (close enough) against bad men so that we could play." Well she did some more explaining and put the flag down for him..Anyway, a couple of pictures

http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/4950/n5033315681866927129282.jpg

My son getting ready to charge

http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/1473/n5033315681866921144733.jpg

olevetonahill
5/18/2009, 03:15 PM
STEP you really are one of the BEST men I have ever had the Pleasure to meet :cool:
Good Jorb, and On behalve of those Vets who cant say it
THANK YOU

stoops the eternal pimp
5/18/2009, 03:21 PM
Thanks vet....

One reason I talk about it a lot is when I was growing up,there were always a lot of WW2 veterans around, telling their stories, and teaching me as a small child all about that particular war, and a great grandpa who could tell me stories his dad told him about the Civil War. With over 1,000 WW2 veterans dying everyday, soon, there won't be any to tell their stories unless we keep passing them along.

JLEW1818
5/18/2009, 03:25 PM
is that STEP junior?

olevetonahill
5/18/2009, 03:29 PM
Yup
As ive said My Dad and 2 uncles where in the PTO in WW2
My Moms brother Marched across Europe and did the D-Day thing .

NormanPride
5/18/2009, 03:36 PM
I think I would have cried if my kids did something that awesome. We don't thank our fallen heroes or our vets enough.

JLEW1818
5/18/2009, 03:44 PM
yep. They are the reason we are free to do what we want to do.

They are also the reason we can bash Obama with out getting hung... ;)

stoops the eternal pimp
5/18/2009, 03:46 PM
I do NP....because it makes me proud of them for what they are doing, and my adoptive dad died 2 weeks before I got married, so they never got to meet him

NormanPride
5/18/2009, 04:00 PM
:( Sad... But you know he's appreciative, and would be amazingly proud of both them and you.

SoonerStormchaser
5/18/2009, 04:25 PM
STEP you really are one of the BEST men I have ever had the Pleasure to meet

I'm raising the BS flag on that...we both know my hawt wife is waaay cooler than STEP.

C&CDean
5/18/2009, 04:30 PM
Dude, your wife is a man? Who knew?

C&CDean
5/18/2009, 04:33 PM
That's a cool thing to do STEP.

My pop is a 3 war vet (WWII, Korea, & Vietnam - although he really never saw combat in Korea) and he's lucky enough to still be alive. He's getting raggedy, but he's still kicking. He will tell you though that Memorial Day isn't for him, or other vets like me or the crotchety olevet. It's for the boys and girls who didn't make it home. Soley. Veteran's Day is for the rest of us.

def_lazer_fc
5/18/2009, 04:39 PM
your kid's shirt is rad

olevetonahill
5/18/2009, 05:00 PM

My pop is a 3 war vet (WWII, Korea, & Vietnam - although he really never saw combat in Korea) and he's lucky enough to still be alive. He's getting raggedy, but he's still kicking. He will tell you though that Memorial Day isn't for him, or other vets like me or the crotchety olevet. It's for the boys and girls who didn't make it home. Soley. Veteran's Day is for the rest of us.

Yup
But I will add those vets that came home and have since died ;)

Lott's Bandana
5/18/2009, 05:14 PM

This.

I am grateful but politely deflect any praise to those that Dean refer on this upcoming weekend.

olevetonahill
5/18/2009, 05:16 PM
This.

I am grateful but politely deflect any praise to those that Dean refer on this upcoming weekend.

Yup

walkoffsooner
5/18/2009, 10:09 PM
I used to help a Korean vet. set out fhe flags he died a couple of years ago sure miss those days.

Curly Bill
5/18/2009, 10:30 PM
Very awesome thing you're doing STEP.

I saw a WWII vet at a track meet a month ago -- he had his WWII ballcap on. Anyway, couldn't resist going up and shaking the old guys hand and telling him thanks.