PDA

View Full Version : BCS Game review from an international sooner

basel90
5/18/2009, 11:15 AM
Fellow Sooners
sorry to have to bring this up late , as i am stationed overseas and we had to order the game on DVD to watch the game with florida. I need to share some thoughts on this game which i think could have easily been won by OU if certain things happened,

Would like your view on the following observations:

Offensive playcalling was awful especially in the fourth quarter. Even in the first half , i thought we should have used Grisham or the TE position more .
But when i talk about the fourth quarter , i mean we are down a touchdown or more with time expiring and we are throwing sideways aimllessly .

Offense was too slow all game long . Playcalling took ages and this gave Florida lots of time to set up . I have no explanation for this as the resulting offensive plays that took ages were bad calls anyway.

We had average receivers , and that showed in drops and interceptions . it is unfortunate that with this type of offense the WR is just average after all these years of running this pro passing offense . I just cant believe these are the best receivers OU was able to field.

Sam should have changed plays especially when things were not working , and i guess he will be given this chance with more experience this year.

Our pass defense was average but better than rush defense.

Again , OU did not seem prepared as Florida was and granted this is almost a home game for Florida . Seems our luck is this way with National Title games played at a team's home field or close to home field ( Miami in the 80s and USC, LSU and Florida in this decade) ,, few commentators forget to mention this fact.

Fealt bad for Stoops and the players as they really could have won this with some better play calling which i am convinced was ponderous and lacking imagination and strategy . Seems the OC was trying the worng calls on 80% of the calls.

Go soooners.. let us win it all this year

hgarmorer
5/18/2009, 11:39 AM
What no AFN?

just kidding

goingoneight
5/18/2009, 02:20 PM
The plays where everyone got frustrated with the countless audinles were really the result of Florida being set up and ready every down. The bread and butter of a no-huddle is the pace. UF was lined up everytime unlike a LOT of our other opponents last year that either didn't know what to expect, lacked depth for fresh legs or just weren't ready every down. A LOT of last year's big plays were based on catching the opposition off-guard. UF stood their ground and basically told us "not on us, you don't."
True it would seem in hindsight that if we had to throw every play to him... Gresham was hot enough that night to have been used a lot more. But it all boils down to five turnovers. A missed seal block on the goal line, a bobbled pass in the endzone, a bobbled pass stolen from Iglesias, a blocked FG and a turnover on downs which lead to the back-breaking TD drive.

basel90
5/19/2009, 09:07 AM
thanks guys for both of you and yes there was no AFN that night

i agree on florida being ready on the no huddle and it was a factor

soonerfan28
5/19/2009, 09:52 AM
Damn, how late did that DVD get there?;)

OUTrumpet
5/19/2009, 11:22 AM
Again , OU did not seem prepared as Florida was and granted this is almost a home game for Florida . Seems our luck is this way with National Title games played at a team's home field or close to home field ( Miami in the 80s and USC, LSU and Florida in this decade) ,, few commentators forget to mention this fact.

I didn't know Southern California was near Florida.

Hopefully they go away from having a 2nd BCS game at one of the bowls and open up the new Cowboys stadium as the 5th BCS bowl site. As much as I don't want that man to get more money, it is probably the best shot we have at getting a stadium closest to us.

goingoneight
5/19/2009, 12:29 PM
USC is about as close to Miami as we were to being prepared that night. :mad:

goingoneight
5/19/2009, 12:32 PM

Hopefully they go away from having a 2nd BCS game at one of the bowls and open up the new Cowboys stadium as the 5th BCS bowl site. As much as I don't want that man to get more money, it is probably the best shot we have at getting a stadium closest to us.

Love jerry jones or hate him... that stadium would be an amazing venue for a college football championship game to be played. Even if it ended up being a game with two fairweather fanbases like Miami/USC... The football passion deep in the heart of Texsucks would be enough to sell it out.

IronSoonerMan
5/19/2009, 01:03 PM
nm

yermom
5/19/2009, 01:11 PM

i liked the rotation better before the extra game came along

the Big 12-Fiesta Bowl tie-in seems forced anyway

NormanPride
5/19/2009, 03:48 PM
Yeah, Big 12 needs to have the Orange like we always did. Regionally it doesn't make sense, but it's tradition!

And I wasn't mad at the playcalling too much. Wilson got scared after we were stuffed on two trips inside the 5, though. For a team that did the red zone so freakishly well that year, we did terribly in the MNC.

goingoneight
5/19/2009, 06:28 PM
Like many, I think there could have been more variety on the red zone playcalling... but my god... even a slow, white guy like me could have snuck in if we picked up that seal block on the right side. The thing is we missed it twice... TWICE.

Possibilities are endless... Sam could have snuck it in, but was his grip on the ball good enough wearing the splint, not to get it knocked out? Should we have gone with Brody Eldridge or Matt Clapp? Or did we need them to block? There's your answer there. Would DM have took it in? Possibly... we've seen him dive over the line before, and he was freakishly good at kicking it outside and/or changing direction to keep a play alive. We would have never known anyway. Play-Action to JG? Bubble-screen?

No... the call was run it in. We averaged 235 lbs per OL or something close to that. They should have manned up and forced UF tha Fark up off the line of scrimmage. We didn't. Missing a block is as vital as dropping a pass. It all has to work.

SoonerKnight
5/22/2009, 11:33 PM
Going for it on fourth down is always a gamble but we should have kicked a field goal the secong time atleast to keep the team motivated and playing hard. When your down and you see that the team is not getting anywhere it can be tough to keep that mind set. Now, the play calling was pretty bad not nearly the same type of play calling that we had seen in the season. We should of mixed it up more. Also, I thought the same thing during the game that we should have used the TE more.

SoonerKnight
5/22/2009, 11:34 PM
The screen pass is very effective against an aggressive defense!