PDA

View Full Version : "Angels and Demons": Saw it.

Okla-homey
5/17/2009, 01:26 PM
Pretty good flick. Recommend it.

Very sensitive treatment of a very touchy subject, vis-a-vis the age old science v. religion debate. Generally positive message that the two are not necessarily mutually exclusive. Or, at the very least, shouldn't be percieved as such. It takes some pretty unpredictable plot twists.

I think Opie of one of America's greatest directors, perhaps our greatest director currently working. Oh, and Tom Hanks ditched the mullet from The DaVinci Code but plays opposite another gorgeous Euro-brunette. Which is nice.

Things that bug me:

Why Ewan MacGregor, an Italian in the film, spoke with a lowland Scots accent, and, why, well, it involves helicopters, and I can't say it without spoiling the movie.

There is prolly plenty of physics stuff in the film that would bug me if I understood particle physics and quantum theory. But I don't. So I'm prolly blissfully ignorant as to things that would induce great heartburn among those who aren't.

That is all.

JohnnyMack
5/17/2009, 02:13 PM
The book was engrossing in parts and over the top ridiculous in parts. I imagine the movie does a good job of conveying that.

BudSooner
5/17/2009, 02:34 PM
Haven't read the book, heard the movie sucked.

soonerboomer93
5/17/2009, 03:03 PM
I've read the book

seems like there's a lot that was changed from the book, atleast that's what it seemed like from the History Channel special that was on last night

Veritas
5/17/2009, 03:16 PM
The book was engrossing in parts and over the top ridiculous in parts. I imagine the movie does a good job of conveying that.

Dan Brown is the Dane Cook of fiction writers.

Veritas
5/17/2009, 03:23 PM
Me, on Dan Brown from a couple years back:
http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1344232&postcount=134

royalfan5
5/17/2009, 04:25 PM
I really think my decision never to read any Dan Brown books has been a wise life choice.

Crucifax Autumn
5/17/2009, 05:25 PM
I read everything and I have yet to read any of his chit.

Perhaps if some friend gives me a free copy and I run out of books to read...

fadada1
5/17/2009, 09:15 PM
ya'll should give some of the books a try. da vinci code is his best book, imo. angels and demons was an excellent book, maybe more exciting overall, just a bit unbelievable. also enjoyed deception point. again, a bit over the top, but worth the read.

plan on seeing the flick soon.

badger
5/18/2009, 10:22 AM
I skipped Da Vinci Code so I'm probably going to skip this one too and wait for the robots to take over the world next weekend.

EDIT: In the battle of the summer blockbusters, the new movie once again got the top spot... but the early bird still retains the worm, heh.

A&D: $48 mil
Trek: $43 mil
Wolv: $14.8 mil

Overall:
Wolv: $151 mil
Trek: $147 mil
A&D: $48 mil

I think we can expect Termie sans Arnie to take over next week... I know A&D had a lot of competition by now, but it seems based on these early figures that only Trek will be in this race for the long haul.

tidalmouse
5/18/2009, 10:32 AM
I've read the book

seems like there's a lot that was changed from the book, atleast that's what it seemed like from the History Channel special that was on last night

I watched The History Channels shows this Weekend also.Beyond The Divinci Code,and Angels and Demons.Good Stuff.I think I'll read "Holy Blood,Holy Grail" before I think about reading Dan Browns Books.

Very interesting Subject Matter though.

BornandBred
5/18/2009, 10:51 AM
There is prolly plenty of physics stuff in the film that would bug me if I understood particle physics and quantum theory. But I don't. So I'm prolly blissfully ignorant as to things that would induce great heartburn among those who aren't.

A) I work with a physicist who says all the explosion stuff is BS. Not to mention containment and transportation issues with the material. BUT... looking past that it's a solid book, and I expect I'll rent the movie.

B) In the book, the helicopter pissed me off a lot. I mean, I will suspend disbelief for a few things, but come on.

Dan Brown has a standard recipe that once you figure it out, they're all pretty much the same. I wasn't that big a fan of Deception Point because it was WAAAYYYY too predictable. But I'd also read A&D and DC first. I'd recommend reading at least 2 of his books. They're page turners.

BudSooner
5/18/2009, 11:42 AM
A) I work with a physicist who says all the explosion stuff is BS. Not to mention containment and transportation issues with the material. BUT... looking past that it's a solid book, and I expect I'll rent the movie.

B) In the book, the helicopter pissed me off a lot. I mean, I will suspend disbelief for a few things, but come on.

Dan Brown has a standard recipe that once you figure it out, they're all pretty much the same. I wasn't that big a fan of Deception Point because it was WAAAYYYY too predictable. But I'd also read A&D and DC first. I'd recommend reading at least 2 of his books. They're page turners.
Agreed, the sort of containment needed for antimatter is pretty far out there, I doubt even with the money that the Catholic church has that it could fund that sort of research.

I haven't read the book, what is the big deal with Ewan and the 'copter? I keep reading that was the one of the bigger "BS" moments in the film, what did he do? stuff the thing into a toaster?:D

BornandBred
5/18/2009, 11:58 AM
PM'd. I hate spoilers.

soonerscuba
5/18/2009, 12:24 PM
Dan Brown is the Dane Cook of fiction writers.This.

Generally popular fiction sucks. Mainly for the same reason most pop music sucks, it's watered down tripe for the masses. There are some exceptions, Harry Potter, His Dark Materials, a lot of Stephen King, and CS Lewis are worth reading, but I tend to think most fiction needs to sit on the shelf for 30 years before it becomes worth reading.

BornandBred
5/18/2009, 12:27 PM
This.

Generally popular fiction sucks. Mainly for the same reason most pop music sucks, it's watered down tripe for the masses. There are some exceptions, Harry Potter, His Dark Materials, a lot of Stephen King, and CS Lewis are worth reading, but I tend to think most fiction needs to sit on the shelf for 30 years before it becomes worth reading.

The Dark Tower series by King is my favorite stuff by a long ways. I've read the HP series, LotR, and a few others, but Tower stands out to me by a long ways. Although, I don't know if I'd call it "Popular Fiction".

StoopTroup
5/18/2009, 03:36 PM
I don't care for Religious Fiction much.

I thought Linda Blair covered it all.

JohnnyMack
5/18/2009, 03:41 PM
I don't care for Religious Fiction much.

Me either.

Wait. What are you talking about?

tidalmouse
5/18/2009, 03:48 PM
Me either.

Wait. What are you talking about?

If Lightning strikes your computer I hope it doesn't take mine out...... :D