PDA

View Full Version : Homeowner's Insurance in Dallas

colleyvillesooner
5/17/2009, 01:26 PM
Finalizing buying a house in the next few weeks, and wanted to start looking for homeowners insurance. Any recommendations for the DFW area?

I have USAA for my car's and current renters, but I've heard they can be higher on Homeowners than some. What are some other good companies to contact for a a quote?

If all goes through with the inspection and such, expect a lot more "Holy crap, how do I fix ______" threads. Along with your standard "What's a good brand of _______" threads :D

olevetonahill
5/17/2009, 02:27 PM
Good luck bro
dont know about Ins
But If I cant help ya with repairs I know folks who can

AlbqSooner
5/17/2009, 04:46 PM
USAA is where I have both my car and homeowners. They discount for having both with them. I found them to be comparable with almost all REPUTABLE homeowners companies. Check around, but don't write them out of the equation because someone told you they are high. That was not my experience.

Okla-homey
5/17/2009, 05:43 PM
USAA.

You might pay a skosh less from some fly-by-nighter outfit, and be happy, for a while. Until you have a claim.

GrapevineSooner
5/17/2009, 07:47 PM
Yes, USAA is a little higher as I've found out the last year in making up a nearly $700 escrow shortage.

But it's well worth it.

fadada1
5/17/2009, 09:18 PM
we have USAA. never even considered anything else. i've always had USAA for my cars. you might pay a tad more, but the "piece of mind" is very comforting. wouldn't have it any other way.

Oldnslo
5/18/2009, 04:51 PM
For those who don't have USAA. Go with AAA. Auto Club of Tejas is part of one of the largest and best insurance groups in the known universe.

I do a good deal of work for a sister company--different AAA companies work different states. It's a long and more-confusing-than-interesting story. Anyway, go with whatever AAA company is in your state.

Vaevictis
5/18/2009, 05:10 PM
Be careful with USAA on the homeowners side. Their auto insurance is great, but, well...

Let's just say that they're supposedly somewhat famous in Houston for claiming pre-existing damage when there was none on the homeowners side. (eg, to the point where if you go to a lawyer in Houston and describe your situation without disclosing the company name, a lawyer specializing in these matters will often guess USAA.)

SoonerStormchaser
5/19/2009, 01:38 AM
I gots USAA...my only beef with them is they screwed with my homeowners by AUTOMATICALLY raising our hail damage deductible from 1% to 2% this year...and making that the best option we could get.

Other than that, yah I like em.

Okla-homey
5/19/2009, 06:11 AM
FWIW, do you people realize there is basically only one form homeowners policy used by all carriers? Apart from the premium amount, and whether or not your carrier is financially sound, claim service is about the only real discriminator.

TheUnnamedSooner
5/19/2009, 10:13 AM
Finalizing buying a house in the next few weeks, and wanted to start looking for homeowners insurance. Any recommendations for the DFW area?

I have USAA for my car's and current renters, but I've heard they can be higher on Homeowners than some. What are some other good companies to contact for a a quote?

If all goes through with the inspection and such, expect a lot more "Holy crap, how do I fix ______" threads. Along with your standard "What's a good brand of _______" threads :D

Sent you a PM.