PDA

View Full Version : I have a question about financing a motorcycle

CK Sooner
5/16/2009, 05:09 PM
I went to a motorcycle dealership a week ago with $500 to buy a 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250r for $4100. They went through some paperwork and then told me to come back with $750 (because I have no credit) as a down payment and then they could do it with this new buyers plan thing. I have a couple of questions.

What can I expect when I go in to finance it?

I heard that you need full coverage insurance when you finance a motorcycle.
Will I get to ride it out after I finance it? Will I have to get insurance first?

Veritas
5/16/2009, 05:43 PM
You will need full coverage insurance, and you won't be allowed to leave the lot without it. If you're under 25, it will cost you out the ***.

They will try to stick you with a ridiculous interest rate. Dude, you are MUCH MUCH MUCH better off finding something used. If you live close to Dallas I can you up with an old friend that will find you something reasonable.

And don't ride without protective gear. That means reinforced jeans, boots, a motorcycle specific leather jacket, and a good full-face helmet.

Learn about countersteering if this is your first bike. Buy "A Twist Of The Wrist. (http://www.amazon.com/Twist-Wrist-Motorcycle-Roadracers-Handbook/dp/0965045013)" It's about racing but there is lots of application to the street.

CK Sooner
5/16/2009, 05:47 PM
Money isn't that big of a problem.

Will they set me up with insurance at the dealership, or will I have to do it on my own?

I know all about countersteering and such. I have been riding for awhile.

Veritas
5/16/2009, 05:55 PM
Money isn't that big of a problem.

Will they set me up with insurance at the dealership, or will I have to do it on my own?

I know all about countersteering and such. I have been riding for awhile.
Ah, good deal. You'd be shocked at the number of people I meet (cruiser guys, usually) that have no clue how you actually turn a motorcycle quickly.

You'll want to do it on your own. I've usually insured through Allstate or Geico, but it's been a while since I was your age (19, right?) so that may have changed. I know I had to file a claim because I balled up an R6 at Motorsports Ranch in Cresson, TX and Allstate paid right up (I wasn't racing...at the time. :) )

Please don't take this the wrong way but if $$ isn't a problem, why are you buying a 250R rather than bumping up to a 500R or a used 600? Or a small SV?

Veritas
5/16/2009, 05:56 PM
Seriously, man, if you're close to Dallas call Cesar at Adrenalix (number here (http://store01.prostores.com/servlet/adrenalix/Page?template=about)) and tell him Chris from Nebraska said to help you out with what you can get for 4.5K.

Curly Bill
5/16/2009, 05:57 PM
I don't know if they're still the cheapest but when I had my Harley, Foremost was the cheapest insurance I found. I went through my auto insurance agent to get it.

CK Sooner
5/16/2009, 05:58 PM
Ah, good deal. You'd be shocked at the number of people I meet (cruiser guys, usually) that have no clue how you actually turn a motorcycle quickly.

You'll want to do it on your own. I've usually insured through Allstate or Geico, but it's been a while since I was your age (19, right?) so that may have changed. I know I had to file a claim because I balled up an R6 at Motorsports Ranch in Cresson, TX and Allstate paid right up (I wasn't racing...at the time. :) )

Please don't take this the wrong way but if $$ isn't a problem, why are you buying a 250R rather than bumping up to a 500R or a used 600? Or a small SV?

What I meant was that money isn't that big of problem for the 250. :D

So after I buy the damn thing it has to just sit in the dealership until I get the insurance? :confused:

Curly Bill
5/16/2009, 05:59 PM
Get the insurance then go pick up the bike.

CK Sooner
5/16/2009, 05:59 PM
I don't know if they're still the cheapest but when I had my Harley, Foremost was the cheapest insurance I found. I went through my auto insurance agent to get it.

Just went to the website and filling out a quote application.

I'll let you know what it says in a second.

CK Sooner
5/16/2009, 06:00 PM
Get the insurance then go pick up the bike.

Can I get the insurance before I get the bike?

Curly Bill
5/16/2009, 06:02 PM
Yeah, you can go get the insurance for the bike before you've actually taken possession of it.

CK Sooner
5/16/2009, 06:05 PM
Yeah, you can go get the insurance for the bike before you've actually taken possession of it.

So, before I buy it?

So, say I want to buy the bike on Tuesday. If go get the insurance set up on Monday, I will get to ride it out on Tuesday?

Is there any start up fee for insurance, or will I just be charged in a month?

Curly Bill
5/16/2009, 06:09 PM
Most, if not all, insurers are going to want at least a deposit, then they will likely let you pay the rest on installment.

...but yeah, you can get the insurance on Monday, then go pick up the bike and ride it off on Tuesday.

CK Sooner
5/16/2009, 06:10 PM
Most, if not all, insurers are going to want at least a deposit, then they will likely let you pay the rest on installment.

...but yeah, you can get the insurance on Monday, then go pick up the bike and ride it off on Tuesday.

How much do you think the deposit will have to be?

CK Sooner
5/16/2009, 06:11 PM
What if something happens and they end up not being able to finance me and then I have that insurance for nothing?

**** this is annoying!

Curly Bill
5/16/2009, 06:11 PM
It'll be a certain percentage of the total cost. I don't know what it will be though...I got deep pockets so I always just paid it in full. ;) :D

Curly Bill
5/16/2009, 06:12 PM
What if something happens and they end up not being able to finance me and then I have that insurance for nothing?

**** this is annoying!

Make sure you're gonna be able to get financed first.

CK Sooner
5/16/2009, 06:14 PM
I think im just going to go to the dealership Tuesday and get financed and see what happens..

Curly Bill
5/16/2009, 06:18 PM
Sounds like a plan.

walkoffsooner
5/16/2009, 09:25 PM
A friend of mine bought a harley at a lawton dealership. No insurance or licence. Rode it home that day, and yea it was financed.

Crucifax Autumn
5/16/2009, 10:49 PM
Stealing is cheaper.

CK Sooner
5/16/2009, 10:52 PM
A friend of mine bought a harley at a lawton dealership. No insurance or licence. Rode it home that day, and yea it was financed.

Hopefully it will work out that way for me.

Curly Bill
5/16/2009, 10:54 PM
It will if you follow Cru's advice.

CK Sooner
5/16/2009, 11:42 PM
It will if you follow Cru's advice.

The credit card?

**** that!

:D

Frozen Sooner
5/16/2009, 11:43 PM
You can get insurance and then cancel it if you don't end up buying the bike. Most states have a mandatory "free look" period where if you cancel insurance before a certain number of days the premium is completely refunded.

Curly Bill
5/16/2009, 11:43 PM
The credit card?

**** that!

:D

No, his advice about stealing one.

CK Sooner
5/16/2009, 11:45 PM
No, his advice about stealing one.

:cool: :cool:

walkoffsooner
5/17/2009, 07:29 AM

Update he wrecked it last night no insurance no licence. broke arm

Veritas
5/17/2009, 10:07 AM
Update he wrecked it last night no insurance no licence. broke arm
Sadly, I'm not surprised.

I don't know these numbers for a Harley, but there is a 90% chance that a rider under the age of 21 will wreck a Honda 600 within the first three weeks of ownership (source: Allstate when I worked for them).