PDA

View Full Version : In the Next Five Years . . .

PLaw
5/16/2009, 03:57 PM
does Bob Stoops look more like Philip Fulmer / Bo Schembechler or Barry Switzer / Tom Osborn??

Boomer

goingoneight
5/16/2009, 04:04 PM
Physically? I hope he doesn't look like Phat Fil. :eek:

We'll see... Dr. Tom might not have been the legendary Dr. Tom if he had to deal with Switzer or Texas on a regular basis like we're dealing with Brown (and to a certain extent on the recruiting trail, Leach, Pickens) on a regular basis.

I think we continue stride for the next five years.

itsok
5/16/2009, 10:38 PM
Stoops is going to win it again...thats all i know...we have a solid program
right now, he is a great coach and wont leave norman at least until his kids
are in college.

Salt City Sooner
5/16/2009, 11:29 PM
Are we talking about the Tom Osborne that won 3 NC's, or the one that lost 7 straight bowl games? There's just a little bit of difference.

JLEW1818
5/16/2009, 11:38 PM
Stoops will win another Championship.... He gets us to the title game like on average once every three years..... or so.... he's bound to win another 1 at OU.

picasso
5/17/2009, 12:02 AM
Fulmer? seriously?:rolleyes:

CrimsonJim
5/17/2009, 05:34 AM
Are we talking about the Tom Osborne that won 3 NC's, or the one that lost 7 straight bowl games? There's just a little bit of difference.

As bad as I hate to say it, with our recent bowl record, perhaps both....which would be just fine I suppose. :)

I know I'd sure take another 3 MNCs.

Jacie
5/17/2009, 05:56 AM
The media earns it's pay by taking shots at easy targets. It was the media that coined the phrase Big Game Bob and don't they just love to remind everyone of it when OU loses.

Consider this, how many titles has Tressel won since tOSU beat Miami?

How many REAL titles has Carroll won at all since, you know?

Or Brown?

The only coaches who got anything on OUrs are Meyer and, as much as I hate to say it, Miles.

AlbqSooner
5/17/2009, 06:25 AM
I attended the Sooner Caravan in Albuquerque this month. Cale Gundy represented the football team. As recruiting coordinator, he gave us a recruiting tool he uses regularly. Every recruit from the high school class of 2000 through 2006 who has played at OU has played in 3 Conference championships and one National championship; Class of 07 has played in 2 Conference championships and one National; Class of 08 one Conference Championship and one National. Nuff said.

OU_Sooners75
5/17/2009, 06:32 AM
I would have to say he will be like the legendary Bob Stoops.

Within the next five years...it is very conceivable that OU will have 10 national championship.

yermom
5/17/2009, 11:15 AM
to win you have to get there, he's gotten that part down cold ;)

i don't think it's all that crazy to think he'll win two more while he's at OU

RedstickSooner
5/17/2009, 11:23 AM
The media earns it's pay by taking shots at easy targets. It was the media that coined the phrase Big Game Bob and don't they just love to remind everyone of it when OU loses.

Consider this, how many titles has Tressel won since tOSU beat Miami?

How many REAL titles has Carroll won at all since, you know?

Or Brown?

The only coaches who got anything on OUrs are Meyer and, as much as I hate to say it, Miles.

I disagree strongly with including Miles in that list. He's shown himself to be, at best, a placeholder coach. He won the NC with Saban's team, and it was Saban's work at locking down Louisiana recruiting which turned LSU into a topfeeder, rather than middle-of-the-pack team.

Just look at what Saban has done at Bama so quickly, and I think you can see that if we're going to heap laurels on either of the two, it should be Saban. Not smiles.

Absolutely agree on Urban, though.

yermom
5/17/2009, 11:38 AM
Miles also beat Stoops two years in a row at OSU, one of two losses in Norman

he's doing something right. but he did luck his way into that MNC though

Salt City Sooner
5/17/2009, 12:40 PM
I disagree strongly with including Miles in that list. He's shown himself to be, at best, a placeholder coach. He won the NC with Saban's team, and it was Saban's work at locking down Louisiana recruiting which turned LSU into a topfeeder, rather than middle-of-the-pack team.

Just look at what Saban has done at Bama so quickly, and I think you can see that if we're going to heap laurels on either of the two, it should be Saban. Not smiles.

Absolutely agree on Urban, though.
x2, & I'll also add the fact that not only did he get the opportunity to play a team who's been just as futile in BCS games as OU, but he also did it in New Orleans. Anybody think OU might have 1 or 2 more titles if the game had been played in, say, Dallas, as opposed to the opponents backyard? I sure do.

TXBOOMER
5/17/2009, 01:48 PM

Within the next five years...it is very conceivable that OU will have 10 national championship.

:texan: By God!

CrimsonJim
5/17/2009, 02:23 PM
x2, & I'll also add the fact that not only did he get the opportunity to play a team who's been just as futile in BCS games as OU, but he also did it in New Orleans. Anybody think OU might have 1 or 2 more titles if the game had been played in, say, Dallas, as opposed to the opponents backyard? I sure do.

I agree with you 110% on this one.

MyT Oklahoma
5/17/2009, 02:27 PM
I don't compare Bob Stoops to anyone else. He is his own man. Making his own legacy. And I wouldn't trade him for anybody.

OUTrumpet
5/17/2009, 03:48 PM

Has a bama fan stolen your computer?

goingoneight
5/17/2009, 06:44 PM
He didn't say 100... :D

soonervegas
5/17/2009, 08:51 PM
I will say that if he is here 10 more years he pulls his BCS championship game record to 50% or higher.

And a lot of the temper tantrums around here right now will look pretty foolish in context.

The only stain on Bobs record in my mind are those two Fiestas.

OU_Sooners75
5/17/2009, 10:09 PM
Has a bama fan stolen your computer?

You think it is too far fetched that we could win 2 or even three more national championships with Bob Stoops?

Scott D
5/18/2009, 05:06 AM
You think it is too far fetched that we could win 2 or even three more national championships with Bob Stoops?

I think it's the way your post could have been interpreted. Rather than it saying "he'll get the university to 10 MNC's within the next 5 years" it came out sounding like "he'll win 10 MNC's in 5 years" hence the quip about bama fan math.

PLaw
5/18/2009, 07:12 AM
I will say that if he is here 10 more years he pulls his BCS championship game record to 50% or higher.

And a lot of the temper tantrums around here right now will look pretty foolish in context.

The only stain on Bobs record in my mind are those two Fiestas.

I was at both Fiesta Bowls - considering the circumstances, I don't think those stained his rep.

The only game in the past 10 years that I consider a stain is the TGOWWDS. Having an opponent hang half a hundred in a championship bout - good lord.

BOOMER

soonerfan28
5/18/2009, 09:42 AM
2004 USC may be on of the greatest teams ever and one of the most tarnished when people look back in 50 years so it doesn't bother me that the blew us out.

badger
5/18/2009, 10:36 AM
I attended the Sooner Caravan in Albuquerque this month. Cale Gundy represented the football team. As recruiting coordinator, he gave us a recruiting tool he uses regularly. Every recruit from the high school class of 2000 through 2006 who has played at OU has played in 3 Conference championships and one National championship; Class of 07 has played in 2 Conference championships and one National; Class of 08 one Conference Championship and one National. Nuff said.

Well, doesn't that make recruiting challenging for our area schools? :D

Macc Brown: Our 2000 through 2006 classes are part of some of the greatest recruiting classes in the country.

Mike Sherman: Our 2000 through 2006 classes? I don't know, I wasn't here.

Mike Gundy: Our 2000 through 2006 classes make up one-eighth of OSU's football victories over OU.

Mikey Leach: Pirates pirates pirates pirates pirates!

Collier11
5/18/2009, 10:40 AM

I was thinking 11 in 6 years, thanks for selling him short jerk!

Scooter McCade
5/18/2009, 11:49 AM
Not so fast, my friend. Stoops could be headed for bigger bucks, and yes, bigger fame in the NFL in the next 2-4 years, in my estimation. By the way, if he goes to a losing NFL program, he will have a great deal of trouble turning it around - the NFL doesn't have the favorable fan and state support that OU enjoys and he can't ride on its coattails like he has to some extent at least with the Sooners. I hate to say this as a Sooners fan, but I've just never been convinced that Stoops is a top-flight college coach. A number of the better college coaches could have guided OU to similar success because of the talent pool and almost unlimited resources he has enjoyed in Norman.
Scooter McCade

JLEW1818
5/18/2009, 12:24 PM
Not so fast, my friend. Stoops could be headed for bigger bucks, and yes, bigger fame in the NFL in the next 2-4 years, in my estimation. By the way, if he goes to a losing NFL program, he will have a great deal of trouble turning it around - the NFL doesn't have the favorable fan and state support that OU enjoys and he can't ride on its coattails like he has to some extent at least with the Sooners. I hate to say this as a Sooners fan, but I've just never been convinced that Stoops is a top-flight college coach. A number of the better college coaches could have guided OU to similar success because of the talent pool and almost unlimited resources he has enjoyed in Norman.
Scooter McCade

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

What other coach has been to the BCS title game 4 times since 2000?

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

A lot of Sooners wont realize what we have, until we lose it.... (Stoops)

Husker In Oklahoma
5/18/2009, 03:03 PM
Well, the losses in those Bowl games were to 5 National Champions in thier own state, a #2 finisher, and a #3 finisher. Not exactly chopped liver he was playing. Not many other teams or coaches would have fared much better playing Miami twice in Miami, FSU x 3, twice in Miami, and another National Champion (Georgia Tech) in the state of Florida. While those seven Bowl losses sucked to endure, Nebraska was playing top flight opponents generally on the road.

Collier11
5/18/2009, 03:08 PM
Not so fast, my friend. Stoops could be headed for bigger bucks, and yes, bigger fame in the NFL in the next 2-4 years, in my estimation.

How many years in a row do you idiot fans keep saying this?

By the way, if he goes to a losing NFL program, he will have a great deal of trouble turning it around - the NFL doesn't have the favorable fan and state support that OU enjoys and he can't ride on its coattails like he has to some extent at least with the Sooners.

No ****!

I hate to say this as a Sooners fan, but I've just never been convinced that Stoops is a top-flight college coach. A number of the better college coaches could have guided OU to similar success because of the talent pool and almost unlimited resources he has enjoyed in Norman.
Scooter McCade

Yea, you sure seem like an OU fan. :rolleyes: Go on troll, be on your way

CrimsonJim
5/18/2009, 03:15 PM
Old schtick Collier. He said basically the same thing in the "Hey Texas" thread. Pretty weak sauce, repeated......

CrimsonJim
5/18/2009, 03:19 PM
Well, the losses in those Bowl games were to 5 National Champions in thier own state, a #2 finisher, and a #3 finisher. Not exactly chopped liver he was playing. Not many other teams or coaches would have fared much better playing Miami twice in Miami, FSU x 3, twice in Miami, and another National Champion (Georgia Tech) in the state of Florida. While those seven Bowl losses sucked to endure, Nebraska was playing top flight opponents generally on the road.

Yep, you gotta get there to win 'em, and when you do you end up facing the toughest competition, usually in their own back yard. That's what we've tried to tell the haters, with very limited success. Some folks just don't see the big picture. :D

Collier11
5/18/2009, 03:29 PM
thats cus teams that dont ever make it to the big game wouldnt understand cus it is so much easier to win the HOliday bowl

goingoneight
5/18/2009, 06:28 PM
I always point out that winning a Holiday Bowl against Oregon isn't exactly something Stoops aspires to do, since he's already undefeated there. :D

Poor, poor whorns and agroids... :D

Scooter McCade
5/20/2009, 11:19 AM
Stoops is going to win it again...thats all i know...we have a solid program
right now, he is a great coach and wont leave norman at least until his kids
are in college.
I just don't buy that Stoops is a "great coach" as you put it. I respect his ability to harness the massive state, fan, recruiting and facilities support well, but as a coach he rates as a B+ as I see it. There are a number of good coaches that could take OU all the way who don't enjoy all the advantages that he has built into his position right now...I'd love to see him try to win as frequently at lesser D-1 schools - it wouldn't happen based on some of his playcalling and personnel decisions.
Sincerely,
Scooter

JLEW1818
5/20/2009, 11:22 AM
I just don't buy that Stoops is a "great coach" as you put it. I respect his ability to harness the massive state, fan, recruiting and facilities support well, but as a coach he rates as a B+ as I see it. There are a number of good coaches that could take OU all the way who don't enjoy all the advantages that he has built into his position right now...I'd love to see him try to win as frequently at lesser D-1 schools - it wouldn't happen based on some of his playcalling and personnel decisions.
Sincerely,
Scooter

:texan: :texan: :texan: :texan: :texan: :texan: :texan: :texan:

Collier11
5/20/2009, 11:23 AM
Sincerely,
Scooter

and with that hotbed of recruiting and money, Mack Brown has exactly 1 natl title and 1 conf title in a 25+ year career. Stoops has done way more than he has with less.