PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk 2009...

goingoneight
5/15/2009, 11:06 PM
Let's talk about this... let's try our best to set the crimson shades down and note our weaknesses. You are automatically disqualified if you say "fire Stoops" or anything else dumb like that. We're a six-time BIG 12 Champion, and we've shown the ability to "get there," which is more than half the battle in a quest for greatness.

Let's talk offense:

So Sam Bradford came back. Just as quick as we can pencil him in for another New York invite, hold on a second. What happens if he goes down? It's not crazy to think that one of the guys you depend on the most could indeed be lost either early-on or right when you need him the most. The names Reynolds, Peterson, White and White again come to mind. Lubbock 2007 comes to mind.

Landry Jones IMHO may not have the luxuries to take off as a RS Fr like Sam did, but many would agree he's a solid backup, and it's nice to have depth here.

But all things assumed go well, Sam plays 14 games in full (well, not full games, but yeah, 14 starts and a big finish would be nice! :D) You can't ask for much better than what we have at QB.

Is DeMarco as ready to roll as Stoops says he'll be? The verdict is Murray will be ready for summer camps and this year's surgery is NOTHING compared to the patella surgery a year ago. Still, it's a second knee surgery... on a guy who we need for speed and mean cuts. Will he be able to STAY healthy is another good question? His versatility and athleticism bring so much more to this offensive attack Kevin Wilson runs and he's the perfect compliment to a primarily "immobile" passer. Note: Sam's not "immobile," he just only runs when he has to.

With Chris "Mr. Dependable" Brown and Mossis "I'm good too" Madu returning healthy, I'm comfortbale with running back being a solid position with healthy rotation. Are Justin Johnson and Jermie Calhoun something we can really get excited about this year? Maybe one of them is a superstar returnman? Ooh... that would ROCK.

The BIG Guns up front:

So everyone's holding their breath here, right? Kody Cooke and a few others are gone early... is this Schmiddy running off more bigguns, or is the competition really that good? The starting five should be a good group, it's the depth that concerns me. The bigger they are, the harder they fall... and we can ill-afford losing quality linemen. Think of what happened when Ryan Reynolds went down last year... solid starter with zilch for experience behind him. The following four games the defense allowed 45 to Texaz, 31 to Kansas, 38 to K-State. It was painfully obvious that depth matters. This ain't the Switzer era, unfortunately.

I like the fact that while Stoops isn't sold on their consistency, he likes their work ethic and attitude. He's a straight-forward guy and he's said he just wants to see a more consistently good performance. Good thing it's April. It would have appeared we were in for a LONG YEAR given how things looked against West Virginia... and I think we turned out alright in time in 2008.

Receiver:

Appears to be a fascinating battle for playing time to watch. You have guys in the mold of Malcom Kelly, big guys with great hands who go get it and get physical along the way in Adron Tennell, DeJuan Miller and Jameel Owens. You have speedy, shifty prospects in Ryan Broyles and Mossis Madu, who will often borrow DeMarco Murray out-wide and you have guys looking to fill the Iglesias role in Brandon Caleb and Cameron Kenney.

Stoops loves this group at this point. He's praised them for their winter conditioning and spring efforts. Praise from Stoops is a great thing... the names Peterson, English, Harris, TRRW and White come to mind. Could we be even better at WR if the line steps up "in a big way" for Sam?

Oh, yeah... we got that Gresham guy, too. :)

There are two years in the Stoops era that come to mind when I'm reminded of us having to rebuild the O-Line... one year, Rhett Bomar and a school of true freshmen and sophomores took the field, losing Peterson along the way... the other was when Bomar left the field for good, taking a quality lineman with him. Oh, yeah... we lost AD that year, too. I have to imagine Sam's going to produce better given his talent and experience edge over Thompson and "Rhomar..." and I KNOW the WR corps isn't as green as it was in 2005.

Given no crazy injuries, this again should be a solid, if not scary-good at times offensive unit. It starts up front, though... those guys make it happen, we're making another BIG 12 and MNC run.

goingoneight
5/15/2009, 11:14 PM
Defense:

Am I the only one longing to see this group get out there and start hitting and owning? It's a TALL ORDER to ever call this the greatest OU defense ever, and just as tall of an order when you call it the greatest "Stoops" defense yet. However, one has to think that while we may not shut out the defending National Champs, we still showed some cojones many of us didn't think we had in us in Miami this past January. How many people, like me penciled-in two passing, two rushing TDs for Tebow along with at least one KO return taken back on us? Bottom line is we had to give them the ball five times (Brown stopped at the goal line, Manny Johnson with the butterfingers, Jimmy Stevens c*ck-blocked, Iglesias with the loose grip and Sam turning it over on downs) for a DAMN GOOD Florida team to beat us in their backyard.

... it's spring time... the only time we can look for moral victories. :O

... I see great potential. I see potentially great depth, as well.

Let's talk about the guys foaming at the mouth ready to drop you for a loss:

At defensive end, who knows if Auston English will stay healthy? But it's nice to know that he's back and nothing serious will stop him from returning to form at this point. When he's on his A-game, he's been compared BY STOOPS to Dan Cody. Now, if you're talking NFL results... Dan's probaby not your man. But anyone who remembers Dan's time at Oklahoma knows we want Auston's A-game.

If we don't get Auston's A-Game, or for some reason maybe he just gets a little winded from all the beating he's putting on Colt McCoy, we'll just throw that Frank Alexander cat out there. Big Frank was every bit as good as advertised when we needed him last year. He's really fast for a big guy, too.

Ah... defensive tackle. The face of the program may be Sam right now, but it might as well be Gerald McCoy. You have to love guys who are not only freaks of football nature, but they stay for the love of the Sooner Nation. This guy is awesome. Great player, great guy, great leader... he's the kind of player college football needs more of. Always smiles, like the late, great Wayman Tisdale. Adrian Taylor was a nice compliment to him last year, and I'm wondering if this year AT becomes a bit more of a force, and not just a sidekick to GK. Behind these guys are DeMarcus Granger, Cordero Moore (both solid when healthy) and the talented youngsters Casey Walker, Stacy McGee and possibly Jamarkus McFarland if all hell breaks loose and we need to burn a redshirt.

The other side boasts Jeremy Beal... he plays like a linebacker. Doesn't over pursue and when he gets a clean shot, the opposition feels it. Great open-field tackler for a D-lineman, too. The biggest question regarding Beal's side of the field is which one of David "Big Daddy" King or RJ Washington gets relief reps.

D-Line = STACKED. Good news is they collectively seem to be very motivated, too.

The middle:

Travis Lewis, Mike Balogun and Keenan Clayton I think are your ones. I see Austin Box moving back to outside 'backer if Reynolds really is healthy enough to play. I won't predict a Reynolds start until I see it though. Look out for two guys who will add some nice depth as well as logging in some special teams time in Daniel Franklin and Tom Wort (yes, he's that good a true-freshman).

One year's experience of going to hell and back tells me this group, with nice added depth should be solid, maybe as good as we've seen the second level in the B. Stoops/Venables era. I know one thing, I'd like to see this year's #10 play the middle like the #10s of before. This group was unique when compared to groups of old last year in that they were good at forcing fumbles. REALLY GOOD.

Any combination of starters you could pick among the names listed above in the front seven should give you goosebumps... especially if you're playing quarterback.

At corner, we boast the return of probably the best two in the country outside of Florida's two stud CBs. Coming up behind them, much like the DL is complimentary depth. The coaches rolled out Fleming (should he return like he's expected to) and Nelson quite a bit last year, and extensively during the spring.

The big question yet again for Oklahoma, defensively is in the middle of the field. If you can get the ball into the third level, you've got a chance. Nic Harris and Lendy Holmes left BIG shoes to fill. They might not have blanket-covered everymiddle strike, but they were always on assignment and solid open-field tacklers. Quinton Carter looks to be an exciting replacement, and a punishing hitter, but he's the only guy outside of guys rumored to be playing well in Sam Proctor and Desmond Jackson. I'm sure there are some true freshmen in the mix, but as of right now, they're just bodies. We need playmakers.

Overall: you ain't gonna run your way to success on Oklahoma, and you better bring your mop-up QB to Norman, but if you have a big-time WR or TE and time to throw (good luck with that), you will give this defense a run for their money. The OU offense will have to totally suck for Oklahoma to surrender anything in Norman, will they be as solid a defense on the road as they will be in front of 85,000 egging them on? Sure hope so.

Collier11
5/15/2009, 11:37 PM
Strengths:

QB-Enough said
RB-Enough Said
Te-We have every kind of TE that you could need
Def-We are loaded at every position other than safety with proven players

Weaknesses

WR- Broyles is the ONLY guy who we can count on at this point
Special Teams-Say what you will but every since Jonathon Hayes left, atleast one facet of our ST's has been average or below average. Apparently we still cant kick the ball to the endzone, our punting was bad in the spring game, and who the hell knows about our kick coverage and punt returns

Unknowns

Will Murray get that 1st gear back earlier in the season this year and keep healthy
How will our O-line be? With the guys we have plus our FB's and TE's that primarily block, you would think that we should be ok but who knows at this point.
Will our D make the jump from Top 50 D to Top 10-15 like expected. Even with the offenses of the Big 12, we should be a top ranked D.

Overall

While I dont think we will score 60 a game anymore, I certainly dont expect to give up 35 and 40 in victories either

I could see our team averaging around 42-45 a game this year and giving up around 15-18 on avg. If we can do that we will be fine. I think last yr it was 51-25 on avg.

Game by Game

BYU(In Dallas)- It will be an adjustment type game against a good team, we need to win by 17-24 IMHO

Idaho st-Absolutely terrible team and even worse home opener, easy blowout

Tulsa- Tulsa probably wont be as good on offense but their D could be better. This is a 4 Td win

At Miami- I know they still arent the MIAMI of old but they will be better and their new qb is a stud. We will have to chase him around all day. If we leave Miami with a 10-14 pt win I will be happy

Baylor- They will be better but it is at home and they are still Baylor, I say we win by 28

Texas(In Dallas)- Typical for the past 10 years, this will be a toss up most likely. This is a big game for Stoops I believe, not because he will get fired but to show Texas who is still in charge. After winning 5 in a row and Stoops being up in the overall series 5-1 it is now only 6-4. If we dont win this game then we can no longer claim that Stoops owns Mack, there is no longer a mental advantage.

At Kansas- This game really scares me, if our D is playing well I wont be worried but if they are playing like they did at times last year this game will be big time dangerous

K.State- We should win this game big time, K State is lacking in talent big time

At Nebraska- I know its on the road, I know we dont win at Nebraska much but this still isnt the same Nebraska. This game will be much like the Miami game IMO, we need to go in there, win by 10-20 and get the hell out of town

A&M- This game should never be close

At Tech- I know its at Tech but they lost a ton. This should be a comfortable win

Osu-They will be really good guys, like it or not. Having said that, they should never come to Norman and beat us. If we can win by 2 tds I will be ecstatic

This team will be no worse than 10-2 IMO and could easily be 12-0 again. It all breaks down to giving Sam time, if we do that then no one can score with us. Can we play well on the road two years in a row? Having Sam makes me feel alot more confident that we will. We have got to beat Texas, Have to! We have to get Gresh the ball 7-10 times a game, and we have to have Murray stay healthy. IF all that can happen, look for a rematch. If not, we could have a couple of heartbreaks.

goingoneight
5/15/2009, 11:43 PM
For those who just want my quick 2-deep prediction:

QB1 Sam Bradford
QB2 Landry Jones

RB1A DeMarco Murray
RB1B Chris Brown

TE1 Jermaine Gresham
TE2 Brody Eldridge

OWR1 Adron Tennell
OWR2 DeJuan Miller

SL1 Ryan Broyles
SL2 Mossis Madu

PWR1 Brandon Caleb
PWR2 Jameel Owens

I know all the names, but we're still ery deep in competition at the OL right now with pretty much Williams, Habern and Simmons the only guaranteed starters. There may be some position shuffling to anchor the left side with experience and strength with the quicker run-blockers on the right side.

DE Auston English
DE Frank Alexander

DT Geraldo McCoy
DT Cordero Moore (Granger if he's healthy)

DT Adrian Taylor
DT Casey Walker

DE Jeremy Beal
DE David King/RJ Washington winnar

OLB Travis Lewis
OLB Austin Box

MLB Mike Balogun
MLB Ryan Reynolds

OLB Keenan Clayton
OLB Tom Wort

CB Brian Jackson
CB Jamell Fleming

FS Desmond Jackson
FS Joseph Ibiloye

SS Quinton Carter
SS Sam Proctor

CB Dominique Franks
CB Jonathan Nelson

Crucifax Autumn
5/16/2009, 01:11 AM
Our chances look pretty good to me.

The usual suspects and traps are all we really need to worry about and I think this team will be too determined with proven leaders to fall into any traps.

JLEW1818
5/16/2009, 01:53 AM
Good Thread.

D. Murray coming out in game 1, 100% is a key that I'm looking for. I don't want him to wait till game 7 to get moving. (Not that he can really control that, if you coming off an injury, it’s hard to get back to the real DM)

We win the Texas game last year, if he was 100%.. DM.

In my opinion, and I don't want this to sound as an excuse, but it's all about staying healthy. Sure injuries are going to happen, its football. But an injury killed us against Texas (RR,DM).

And having DM against Florida would have added another threat.... Take away Harvin from Florida, and then what? Could have been a different story.

And I'm not even going to start about the West Virginia game.... injuries...

Everyone outside of Sooner nation just expects since we have "Oklahoma" on our jerseys, that we are suppose to win. Losing key players hurts.

So all I want is for us to Stay Healthy, all 14 games. Not that DM chose to get hurt, but to win a National Championship; you have to have a little luck along the way. One forum of luck, is staying healthy all year.

stoops the eternal pimp
5/16/2009, 02:38 AM
I hope these wr's are clicking with Sam by Texas...Texas is gonna be extremely tough in the defensive backfield and I expect them to be physical against the OU wideouts...

OU_Sooners75
5/16/2009, 03:34 AM
Strengths....
We are OU!

Weaknesses...
We do not play in the SEC! SEC! SEC!

:D

OU_Sooners75
5/16/2009, 04:21 AM
On a serious note.

Our Strengths:

Offense:

Sam Bradford. Do we need to say more? The kid has been nothing short of amazing as our starter. I suspect 2009 may be a little more like 2007, but it will still be a very good season for him.

Jermaine Gresham. When you have the nation's best tight end, you have a threat that will take a load off the newcomers of the receiving corps.

Running Backs. We have a stable of them. Most notably Chris Brown and DeMarco Murray. However, Mosis Madu and Calhoun should be able to fill the voids well.

Defense:

DL. We have perhaps the best defensive front four in all of college football. Add to it depth, we could see perhaps the most dominating front four since the Selmon brothers were coralling quarterbacks!

Travis Lewis. He was very productive for us last year from the weakside. Look for much of the same this year.

Dominique Franks. Watching Franks reminds me when I was a youth watching Ricky Dixson!

Weakness:

Offense:

Offensive line. It is hard to get a gauge of a brand new offensive line when they have not take a true snap as a unit. This unit has all the makings of being one of the most athletic and talented group of Olinemen under Stoops tenure. With time they should gel. OU will need to substitute more, to get more players playing time. The last time we had to rebuild an Oline like this (2005) we ended up with a lot of injuries. That was due to lack of qualtiy depth. This time around, we have 10 or 11 guys that have the ability to step in and contribute.

Wide Receivers. I only mention this as a weakness because our leading receiver coming into the 2009 is Ryan Broyles. Yes, players like Tennel, Caleb, Owens, and Miller have some experience, but not a lot. This group has the size and speed to mimic last years group!

Defense:

Middle Lineback. Though not a true weakness, the problem here is the fact that 2 of the 3 potential starters are injured. We need whoever gets the starting role to stay healthy and the other two to contribute if needed.

Safeties. The true question mark on defense. In fact the only two spots that we must replace. Not really much else to say here.

Special Teams. Who is going to be the punter? In the spring game, our punting was pathetic..and that is putting it nice. The Kicking game is also a shambles. Jimmy Stevens cannot hit the broad side of a barn 2 yards away. I sat in section 18 during the spring game (north endzone). During warm ups, the only time Stevens made a fg was within 40 yards and spotted middle or right side of the field. Tress Way looked a little better, but not much. Maybe Cam Kenney can come in and cure our problems?

Crucifax Autumn
5/16/2009, 05:15 AM
If we're Selmon good we win it all!

OU_Sooners75
5/16/2009, 02:18 PM
Good Thread.

D. Murray coming out in game 1, 100% is a key that I'm looking for. I don't want him to wait till game 7 to get moving. (Not that he can really control that, if you coming off an injury, it’s hard to get back to the real DM)

We win the *Texas* game last year, if he was 100%.. DM.

In my opinion, and I don't want this to sound as an excuse, but it's all about staying healthy. Sure injuries are going to happen, its football. But an injury killed us against *Texas* (RR,DM).

And having DM against Florida would have added another threat.... Take away Harvin from Florida, and then what? Could have been a different story.

And I'm not even going to start about the West Virginia game.... injuries...

Everyone outside of Sooner nation just expects since we have "Oklahoma" on our jerseys, that we are suppose to win. Losing key players hurts.

So all I want is for us to Stay Healthy, all 14 games. Not that DM chose to get hurt, but to win a National Championship; you have to have a little luck along the way. One forum of luck, is staying healthy all year.

I do not think that was the key to the game. I would say we win that game if Ryan Reynolds does not go down...or if we had a Middle Linebacker ready to play!

oumartin
5/16/2009, 03:31 PM
I miss the hard hitting, gonna mug your mother defense that used to roam Owen Field in the early part of this decade. This team will not win another NC until something changes on the defensive side of the ball.

No championship team gives up nearly 30 in a championship game.

Say all you will but its all about the defensive side of the ball and it will continue to be the weak link.

OU_Sooners75
5/16/2009, 03:49 PM
I miss the hard hitting, gonna mug your mother defense that used to roam Owen Field in the early part of this decade. This team will not win another NC until something changes on the defensive side of the ball.

Say all you will but its all about the defensive side of the ball and it will continue to be the weak link.

Well, 2003 we had a great defense....and did not win it all.

So your post is not exactly spot on.

However, we lost one of the best defensive minds after the 2003 season.

It has been seen that I am not a great supporter of Brent Venables. I think he plays a bend but don't break defense. And that is not how you play defense, PERIOD!

Until we change that attitude (not necessarily coaches) on defense, it will continue to get worse every year on defense.

I do wish Bob Stoops would take more of a defensive coordinator stance on this team.

Yet, I do understand that we have continued to win conference titles. I do appreciate that much. I just wished we did not have such a long break between games.

Maybe no Christmas Travel? Make the kids stay on campus until after the bowl game? If they want Christmas, then invite their families to norman.

goingoneight
5/16/2009, 03:51 PM
Jimmy Stevens isn't as bad as you make him sound, either. He's just not an All-Pro guy like Garrett Hartley. Remember, GH could kickoff, kick FGs, cover kickoffs and punt if needed. VERY VERY VERY few kickers and/or punters do things anywhere close to as well as GH did.
Stevens only "missed" 3 FGs last year. His 4th "miss" was a blocked kick by the best team in the country at blocking kicks. How do you know that wouldn't have split the uprights? Truth: you don't.
Trey DiCarlo and Tim Duncan missed more than that on average per season, too if I remember correctly.

goingoneight
5/16/2009, 03:52 PM

LSU and Texas both gave up at least 24 in their championship games.

PLaw
5/16/2009, 03:54 PM
09 is all about the OL - plain and simple.

BOOMER

goingoneight
5/16/2009, 04:00 PM
The defense can give up all the yards they want to... they just need to figure out how to get critical stops. That's something that if you could bottle the secret up and coach it into your players, we'd win it all every year. Not every unit collectively understands or is able to do that.
Same could be said for offense. If we lose a BCS game 24-14, with five turnovers, it's not the defense's fault. Especially when you leave 14-to-17 easy points off the board (Manny Johnson's bobble in the endzone, the missed block on 4th and Goal from the 2 and the FG miss).

oumartin
5/16/2009, 04:22 PM
Well good for LSU and good for Texas. I'm not sayin' it can't be done but over the past few years the defense has folded in critical situations. IMO a championship team doesn't give up the kind of points OU gives up lately

goingoneight
5/16/2009, 04:24 PM
The offense folded in the MNC game... plain and simple.

OU_Sooners75
5/16/2009, 04:28 PM
Jimmy Stevens isn't as bad as you make him sound, either. He's just not an All-Pro guy like Garrett Hartley. Remember, GH could kickoff, kick FGs, cover kickoffs and punt if needed. VERY VERY VERY few kickers and/or punters do things anywhere close to as well as GH did.
Stevens only "missed" 3 FGs last year. His 4th "miss" was a blocked kick by the best team in the country at blocking kicks. How do you know that wouldn't have split the uprights? Truth: you don't.
Trey DiCarlo and Tim Duncan missed more than that on average per season, too if I remember correctly.

Want to correct your stats?

He was 8 of 12 last year. He was a mere 4 of 8 from 30+ yards.

The kid did not show much improvement in warmups at the spring game either.

I know, I was sitting, between the uprights, in the north endzone. Or Section 18 if you will.

Stevens is one of the worst place kickers I have seen, and that is bad since the worst I have seen was on my High School team my senior year!

oumartin
5/16/2009, 04:46 PM
Are you kidding me? the offense folded? sure they did not score like they had but Florida was up and down the field every darn possession. true they did not execute like they had all year and the defense made some good plays but they were on the field alot. Kinda like Texas.

I just know I miss the take no prisoners defenses that used to play.

Curly Bill
5/16/2009, 06:32 PM
As someone who's not at all a fan of BV I thought the D played well enough to win the NC game for us. What a shame too, to waste a good effort by a BV defense in a big game, because it hasn't happened often enough.

One of my concerns for the coming season is in which game will we have our annual defensive meltdown where we look clueless. We have at least one of those every season, and we have to hope it's in a game where our offense can bail us out.

Is Jordan Shipley still running open across the middle of our defense? ;) :mad:

...and yeah I know: our MLB was hurt, but would it have been too much to at least have a safety glance in his direction once in a while?

goingoneight
5/17/2009, 01:44 AM
... to say UF ran up and down the field is laughable.

when you turn the ball over five times, three of which should have been points... you lose BCS games. If we did it against FSU, we'd have lost that game, too. You can't expect to dominate someone when you give the game to them.

Scooter McCade
5/18/2009, 11:56 AM
Well, you can go down the list of players and positions and form your opinion based on that, but unless you look at the big picture as to how they will play as a team, well, its interesting and useful information, but in my mind, not complete. And "predictions are made to be broken" - Arthur Conan Doyle. Still, I commend you for spending so much time on it. You seen to be really caught up in your own sense of importance feel that you need to share your opinions to feel good. Thats cool - I suppose.

soonerfan28
5/18/2009, 12:08 PM
For those who just want my quick 2-deep prediction:

QB1 Sam Bradford
QB2 Landry Jones

RB1A DeMarco Murray
RB1B Chris Brown

TE1 Jermaine Gresham
TE2 Brody Eldridge

OWR1 Adron Tennell
OWR2 DeJuan Miller

SL1 Ryan Broyles
SL2 Mossis Madu

PWR1 Brandon Caleb
PWR2 Jameel Owens

I know all the names, but we're still ery deep in competition at the OL right now with pretty much Williams, Habern and Simmons the only guaranteed starters. There may be some position shuffling to anchor the left side with experience and strength with the quicker run-blockers on the right side.

DE Auston English
DE Frank Alexander

DT Geraldo McCoy
DT Cordero Moore (Granger if he's healthy)

DT Adrian Taylor
DT Casey Walker

DE Jeremy Beal
DE David King/RJ Washington winnar

OLB Travis Lewis
OLB Austin Box

MLB Mike Balogun
MLB Ryan Reynolds

OLB Keenan Clayton
OLB Tom Wort

CB Brian Jackson
CB Jamell Fleming

FS Desmond Jackson
FS Joseph Ibiloye

SS Quinton Carter
SS Sam Proctor

CB Dominique Franks
CB Jonathan Nelson

I like who you've got at MLB. I think he'll surprise some people this fall. I like Bryant behind Lewis though it could be Box.

JLEW1818
5/18/2009, 12:26 PM
yep, there definitely needs to be some competition at MLB.

Collier11
5/18/2009, 12:32 PM
You seen to be really caught up in your own sense of importance feel that you need to share your opinions to feel good. Thats cool - I suppose.

so what are you doing with this opinion other than wasting our time?

Jello Biafra
5/18/2009, 01:06 PM
I do not think that was the key to the game. I would say we win that game if Ryan Reynolds does not go down...or if we had a Middle Linebacker ready to play!

ding ding ding...i've been saying this since the end of that game...regardless of what lid says, they (texas) was doing squat until he went down...

JLEW1818
5/18/2009, 01:07 PM
ding ding ding...i've been saying this since the end of that game...regardless of what lid says, they (*Texas*) was doing squat until he went down...

and logical horn fans (if there are any) know that.

soonermix
5/18/2009, 01:26 PM
Strumphs: lots
weakness: january

goingoneight
5/18/2009, 02:25 PM
Well, you can go down the list of players and positions and form your opinion based on that, but unless you look at the big picture as to how they will play as a team, well, its interesting and useful information, but in my mind, not complete. And "predictions are made to be broken" - Arthur Conan Doyle. Still, I commend you for spending so much time on it. You seen to be really caught up in your own sense of importance feel that you need to share your opinions to feel good. Thats cool - I suppose.

and I suppose your genius response is that leaving 17 points off the board wouldn't change the outcome of a game? No... Let me guess... We should fire Venables? Or was it that turnovers don't kill momentum?
-goingoneight.

cjames317
5/18/2009, 03:36 PM
This year, I see it's gonna be all about the DL. When they penetrate/push back the opposing OL, they bottle up the running game and collapse the pocket, which forces the offense into a short passing game that can be attacked by our improved linebackers. I see more turnovers and, overall, the suffocating type of defense that made Todd Dodge so miserable back in his day.

Jacie
5/18/2009, 03:43 PM
One of my concerns for the coming season is in which game will we have our annual defensive meltdown where we look clueless. We have at least one of those every season, and we have to hope it's in a game where our offense can bail us out.

Idaho State?

JLEW1818
5/18/2009, 03:47 PM
Idaho State?

sounds good to me.

But in my honest opinion. The defensive meltdown might be against Nebraska, and Sammy B will bail us out. Just my opinion, if I had to pick one...

or Kansas

starclassic tama
5/18/2009, 04:00 PM
i'm not seeing the problem with the playcalling. we left at least 14 points on the board due to lack of execution, bottom line. nobody wants to give florida credit, but their defense knew they had to bring much akin to our 2000 performance against FSU, and they executed and played a great game. florida didn't win the game because tebow played great, they won because the defense played great and they got some offensive help from percy harvin.

all we can hope for is that we get a rematch this year, with our defense in a position to be really really good.

Collier11
5/18/2009, 04:05 PM
i'm not seeing the problem with the playcalling. we left at least 14 points on the board due to lack of execution, bottom line. nobody wants to give florida credit, but their defense knew they had to bring much akin to our 2000 performance against FSU, and they executed and played a great game. florida didn't win the game because The Right Reverend Tim T. Messiah played great, they won because the defense played great and they got some offensive help from percy harvin.

all we can hope for is that we get a rematch this year, with our defense in a position to be really really good.

The playcalling left something to be desired, having said that if we execute we still win that game or atleast go into HT up two TDs. Our D played great, they just wore down on that last drive which happens when your Off isnt executing.

Maybe it was just me but I saw a big diff between last year and 03 & 04

Last year we still played a little tight but I never thought we were going to lose until that last drive by Fla

04- After the 1st drive of the game we never had a chance
03- We had a chance to win at the end but we played horrible and I never felt good during the hole game

JLEW1818
5/18/2009, 04:32 PM
The playcalling left something to be desired, having said that if we execute we still win that game or atleast go into HT up two TDs. Our D played great, they just wore down on that last drive which happens when your Off isnt executing.

Maybe it was just me but I saw a big diff between last year and 03 & 04

Last year we still played a little tight but I never thought we were going to lose until that last drive by Fla

04- After the 1st drive of the game we never had a chance
03- We had a chance to win at the end but we played horrible and I never felt good during the hole game

I agree. Which makes me think that we are "almost" there.

A couple small steps away, from winning another National title game.

Collier11
5/18/2009, 04:37 PM
another thing that is often overlooked is how HARD it is to win a natl title. What if we had won all of those, Stoops has 4 natl title in 10 years and is the greatest coach evar, but he goes 1-3 and some people say he is overrated, give me a damn break!

JLEW1818
5/18/2009, 04:42 PM
another thing that is often overlooked is how HARD it is to win a natl title. What if we had won all of those, Stoops has 4 natl title in 10 years and is the greatest coach evar, but he goes 1-3 and some people say he is overrated, give me a damn break!

exactly.... what if he did win 4 titles.. well first of all, I would prlly have alcohol poisoning after the 3rd, and be dead due to excessive celebrating.

but really, if he had 4 in 10 years...yikes!

Stoops is 1-3
Carroll is 1-1
Meyer is 2-0
Tressel is 1-2

My thing is, you have to be in at least 3-4 Title games, to be in the debate with the best coaches.

Collier11
5/18/2009, 04:46 PM
I think an exception will be made for Meyer since he is the only coach to win 2 ;)

JLEW1818
5/18/2009, 04:51 PM
I think an exception will be made for Meyer since he is the only coach to win 2 ;)

yep, ment to add, if you already have 2, you are exempt.

I always stressed last season, who would be the first coach to win 2 bcs games... and sure enough, damn Urban Meyer did it. errr

i bet he got picked on in high school

starclassic tama
5/18/2009, 09:07 PM
meyer's two BCS titles are impressive, but i think there is something to be said for longevity. look at stoops, has been here 10 goin on 11 seasons, and his record speaks for itself. we will see how meyer's record is after 11 seasons. like i said, 2 titles is impressive, but i think it is much harder to win consistently for the amount of time stoops has been here.

tommieharris91
5/18/2009, 09:11 PM
Fire Stoops.

Collier11
5/18/2009, 09:15 PM
Fire Stoops.

I was about to edit my original post and say the same ;)

madillsoonerfan5353
5/18/2009, 10:11 PM

Hit the nail on the head, we need that SWAGGER back!!!!!

Collier11
5/18/2009, 10:12 PM
according to some on this board, there is no such thing as swagger ;)

Curly Bill
5/18/2009, 10:21 PM
SWAGGER!!!

CrimsonJim
5/18/2009, 10:23 PM
You wantin' swagger?! I got yer swagger!....mmmmm oh never mind.

RedstickSooner
5/19/2009, 10:09 AM
I think, given how many dudes we lost on the line, we should petition either the Big-12, or the NCAA, and ask that we be allowed to field a couple extra guys, just one or two, to shore things up.

It seems only fair.

Jello Biafra
5/19/2009, 10:22 AM
I think, given how many dudes we lost on the line, we should petition either the Big-12, or the NCAA, and ask that we be allowed to field a couple extra guys, just one or two, to shore things up.

It seems only fair.

you start the petition....

ill sign it, keep us updated on how thats goin for ya :texan:

goingoneight
5/19/2009, 12:41 PM
We should fly a banner over the NCAA head office.

OU_Sooners75
5/20/2009, 02:20 AM
Collier...it was not after the first drive of the 2004 game...
We had 2 or 3 drives before we started falling apart.

USC gets opening kickoff. They end up punting. We scored on the first drive. They receive and march down and score to tie the game.

We get a first down on the first play of the second drive, then end up punting. They one first down and then punt on their next possession.

We get the ball at the 4. Fumble on the first play at the 6. USC recovers, Scores on the next play from 6 yards out. We are down 14-7 at the end of one.

We take the kick off and march down to the 38, were White throws one of his many INTs.

USC scores on that next drive.

In fact, we were able to move the ball on them. However, turnovers kills drives and momentum.

USC scored 5 times off our 5 turnovers in that game.

We limit that to one or two turnovers, it is not as bad of a game as we seen.

It was sickening to watch no matter which way you slice it. It seemed like we were still in it when down 28-10...then that damn muffed punt happened.

USC scored on our defense in the second quarter like I do on the computer on rookie!

They scored 21 points off 3 turnovers in the second quarter! And scored a total of 24 points in that quarter!

Collier11
5/20/2009, 09:04 AM
I blocked out all memories of that game, didnt remember details ;)

MojoRisen
5/20/2009, 09:39 AM
The defense maybe able to graduate from technique to domination. I like how Lewis flys around. I know BV is all about Technique and it is damn important especially at the next level - but we need sheer agression and hopefully the repition and experience will mold itself to that this year. I think it will - the D gave the O several opportunities against Florida - remember Tebow only had 2 oskies all year and threw 2 in one game against us.

Oline has to gel and be nasty... Sometimes I think the real big guys never had to be nasty when they are young - because nobody ever messed with them. I want 5 guys with a mean streak and something to prove.

We should have 3 recievers emerge all have physical attributes to be very tough to stop. Speed concerns me here - maybe cam kenny really does run a 4-4.

When bradford was in at the spring game, I am pretty sure he went 9-10 and threw a TD on the potentially best D in the country. O should be fine, can we run on the likes of Texas???

Miami on the road? They have enough talent and tradition to challenge us.
Nebraska: They have payback for us and playin in Lincoln will be interesting.
Kansas: Could score on us, but I don't think they can stop us either - Tech beat them down last year at Kansas. Beat down
Okie Light: Could be a tough game, they kill Oregon if Bryant doesn't go down- I think he had 200 yards on them in the first half.

Texas: I hope we come out and destroy them, last year we may could have if not for special teams. Texas players admit they were shaking there heads at 14-3 and scared before shipley answered.

JLEW1818
5/20/2009, 10:32 AM
didn't even know we played usc

GoOwls
5/20/2009, 11:01 AM
damn Urban Meyer did it. errr

Everyone knows Tebow was the acting coach. Meyer was just along for the ride.

JLEW1818
5/20/2009, 11:23 AM
Everyone knows The Right Reverend Tim T. Messiah was the acting coach. Meyer was just along for the ride.

true that, it wont be long before people start saying... "what can Urban Meyer do without Tim Tebow?"

BoulderSooner79
5/20/2009, 11:59 PM
I see some similarities between the '09 team and 2 other BCS winners (winners at our expense, unfortunately).

The '04 'SC team had a very solid defense and star players at the offensive skill positions. But the O-line was very green and struggled early. The defense carried the team until the O-line gained the needed experience and they were the best team by the end of the season. I'm assuming our defense will be very good from the outset and we certainly have stars at the skill positions. I hope the O-line has the talent and just needs experience.

The '07 gator team was very green on defense and lost 4 games including getting spanked in their bowl game despite a Heisman year by Teebow. That "schooling" the defense took in '07 resulted in "learning" in '08 and the D was a strength for the gator team. Our '08 defense was very green in the back 7 last year and absorbed some schooling in several games after RR went down in Dallas. They showed much improvement by the end of the year and I expect them to carry the team if needed while the O-line gels into a dominant unit (I hope).

soonerfan28
5/21/2009, 09:21 AM
true that, it wont be long before people start saying... "what can Urban Meyer do without The Right Reverend Tim T. Messiah?"

Thats always how it goes.

goingoneight
5/24/2009, 11:30 PM
Probably won't be the case for UM. He's in a position to build the next Jimmy Johnson at Miami-esque powerhouse down there (as if to say he hasn't already).