PDA

View Full Version : Wolverine fan defending Sammy B

Collier11
5/15/2009, 11:24 AM
Apparently some jughead from ESPN was comparing Terrelle Pryor of Ohio State and his passing ability to Sam Bradford. I thought the article was pretty funny

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/175918-terrelle-pryor-is-no-sam-bradford

I'm sure Si.com writer Andy Staples is a nice guy, but I just can't find myself agreeing with his recent article on media darling Terrelle Pryor. What bothers me is not that Andy thinks Terrelle is a great football talent—he surely is—but his belief that “Pryor can make the same throws as Oklahoma’s Sam Bradford.”

Now hold on just a minute. The same Sam Bradford who threw for 3,121 yards, 36 touchdowns, and eight interceptions, and completed 69.5 percent of his passes his freshman year?

Or was it the same Sam Bradford who threw for 4,720 yards, 50 touchdowns, and 11 interceptions, who completed 67.9 percent of his passes his sophomore year, and who was projected to be the No. 1 pick in the draft had he declared pro?

According to Andy, “experience and intangibles are all that separate Pryor from” Bradford. Well, those are some pretty lofty expectations for a player that passed for 1,311 yards, 12 touchdowns, and four interceptions—considering that Ohio State coaches did everything in their earthly power to keep the ball out of the air in 2008.

As proof, Andy points to two plays in Ohio State’s spring game where Pryor demonstrated his Sam Bradford-like throwing ability. On the first play, Pryor launched a 44-yard bomb that was caught by Taurian Washington for a touchdown.

I wasn’t too impressed with the play, which can be seen here.

I couldn’t figure out what was worse: the fact that the announcer of the game declared that the wind had died down for the throw, that Washington was not hit in stride but had to slow down and reach back for the ball, or that Pryor’s feet were locked on Washington from the moment he took the snap. Still can’t put my finger on it.

The second play, however, actually was a sweet—although risky—throw where Pryor found receiver Ray Small on the right sideline. Had the safety not been pulled from the crowd and donned with a jersey for the game, the play would have been a nice 15-yard gain.

But is one sweet throw all it takes to warrant a Sam Bradford arm? I guess so.

According to Andy, “only a handful of Football Bowl Subdivision quarterbacks could have made the throw Pryor completed to Small in the spring game, and even fewer could reproduce the throw Pryor made moments earlier—a 44-yard bomb that sliced through the gale and landed in Taurian Washington's hands in the end zone.”

I think that’s probably not the case. I think only a handful of FBS quarterbacks could not have made that throw to Washington, and I’m pretty confident Sam Bradford would have hit Washington in stride.

So I’ll decline Andy’s challenge to “go ahead” and “[t]ell Pryor he can’t throw.” I would, but I happened to lose his cell phone number. I’ll just state for the record that he’s no Sam Bradford.

More analysis on Wolverine football at www.michiganfootballblog.blogspot.com.

starclassic tama
5/15/2009, 11:58 AM
bradford only threw 8 picks his sophomore year, not 11.

Collier11
5/15/2009, 12:08 PM
he threw 10 but def not 11

OUmillenium
5/15/2009, 12:13 PM
April Fool's Day was April 1st, not May 15th

badger
5/15/2009, 12:14 PM
He threw zero, because none were his fault ;)

goingoneight
5/15/2009, 12:51 PM
One against UC was the only bad pass I saw out of Sam last year. Broyles gave up on a perfect ball against Texas and I think the other six were all tipped passes. When the day comes that Sam's gone... Fans are going to be in major adjustment mode regarding criticizing our QB play.

Collier11
5/15/2009, 01:00 PM
I do agree to an extent go8, but remember that we have said that after Heupel, after white, after PT to an extent, our coaches seem to have someone prepared to play very well every season except maybe 05'

budbarrybob
5/15/2009, 01:05 PM
When the day comes that Sam's gone... Fans are going to be in major adjustment mode regarding criticizing our QB play.

yes but you have to admit for the past 11 years we have been blessed with a few decent QB's and our future looks bright.
I'm still in amazement with what Stoops did with ENA!!!

sooner94
5/15/2009, 01:39 PM
Good points on both sides. Sammy is a guy we will never forget because of his great talent and character. Not many college QBs come along that are as good as him.

But the fact that we have had Heupel, White, an unexpected performance from Thompson in 2006, and now Bradford, well, that means our coaches are doing some things right.

goingoneight
5/15/2009, 02:14 PM
I don't see Kevin Wilson staying after this year. Between his resume at Northwestern and the eye-popping numbers we're producing despite frequent handicaps... someone big is going to want him.

badger
5/15/2009, 02:18 PM
I don't see Kevin Wilson staying after this year. Between his resume at Northwestern and the eye-popping numbers we're producing despite frequent handicaps... someone big is going to want him.

As long as it's the right situation - I don't want him getting dumped in an SEC school that will fire him at the first sign of not-a-championship-year-but-still-a-pretty-d@mn-good-season. I also wouldn't want him to get stuck in a never-heard-of-it-except-on-the-Bottom-10 mid major... or a we-couldn't-get-a-big-name-so-you'll-suffice-until-we-can place.

goingoneight
5/15/2009, 02:30 PM
Notre Lame will be shopping this year. Weiss's's's belt-size is the only thing getting an extension this year.
Will A&M pull the trigger early on the Shermanator?
Someone in the BIG 10 might want to consider being good.
If Richie Rich fires off another sub-par season in Meatchicken, people might begin to rehash those dumb comments he made last year about their fans.
If Bawbeh Baw-duhn doesn't get to keep his wins in pursuit of JoePa... Will Flartuh State be happy with a 6-6 Bowl?
Is Randy Shannon safe?

Those are just the easy ones off the top of my mind. You know how coaching is... there'll be plenty of good coaches dumped looking for greener pastures.

OU_Sooners75
5/15/2009, 02:43 PM
I think Pryor has a major upside to him.

However, to even start comparing him to Sam Bradford is stupid and ignorant.

OU_Sooners75
5/15/2009, 02:44 PM
Notre Lame will be shopping this year. Weiss's's's belt-size is the only thing getting an extension this year.
Will A&M pull the trigger early on the Shermanator?
Someone in the BIG 10 might want to consider being good.
If Richie Rich fires off another sub-par season in Meatchicken, people might begin to rehash those dumb comments he made last year about their fans.
If Bawbeh Baw-duhn doesn't get to keep his wins in pursuit of JoePa... Will Flartuh State be happy with a 6-6 Bowl?
Is Randy Shannon safe?

Those are just the easy ones off the top of my mind. You know how coaching is... there'll be plenty of good coaches dumped looking for greener pastures.

Why would they?

They act as if they have this great long line of tradition there at A&M when they do not.

I would give him a chance to build what he says he can...meaning 5-6 years. If he cannot, then fire his *** and find some upstart coach...not some big name!

The Remnant
5/15/2009, 03:00 PM
So if Pryor possessed Bradford's "experience and intangibles", he would be as good as Sam. And if my aunt had a set of nuts, she would be my uncle. Okay.

goingoneight
5/15/2009, 11:26 PM
Pryor is still very green. Very mature for a true fishy last year, but still very green. It's difficult to make the comparison because Sam had a loaded offense both as a fishy and as a sophomore, and a year of conditioning and training under his belt.

Still, they're different types of players. Saying TP could be the next Vince Young is certainly not out of the question because of the offense he runs and his style of play. Still a very tall order.

goingoneight
5/15/2009, 11:26 PM
As far as where they stand right now... not even close. Laughable.

Jacie
5/16/2009, 10:53 AM
Terrell Pryor is in position to produce an undefeated season (big time program with supporting cast on both sides of the ball) but he won't win a Heisman if his personal numbers aren't eye-popping. He won't put up the passing yardage of Bradford because that isn't what Jim Tressel wants from him. TP had a passing/rushing yardage ratio of 2 to 1, while SB's in 2008 was 100 to 1. As for comparisons to Vince Young, TP is another in the trend that some programs are trying to implement. Finding a quarterback who can do it is just as difficult as finding the next Sam Bradford.

StoopTroup
5/16/2009, 12:57 PM
bradford only threw 8 picks his sophomore year, not 11.

I was wondering why I couldn't sleep last night...

Thanks for clearing that up.

OU_Sooners75
5/16/2009, 02:22 PM
Terrell Pryor is in position to produce an undefeated season (big time program with supporting cast on both sides of the ball) but he won't win a Heisman if his personal numbers aren't eye-popping. He won't put up the passing yardage of Bradford because that isn't what Jim Tressel wants from him. TP had a passing/rushing yardage ratio of 2 to 1, while SB's in 2008 was 100 to 1. As for comparisons to Vince Young, TP is another in the trend that some programs are trying to implement. Finding a quarterback who can do it is just as difficult as finding the next Sam Bradford.

OSU lost their entire LB corps. I think they are replacing something like 6 players on defense.

I will look it up to make absolutely sure first...so do not quote me on that right now.

starclassic tama
5/18/2009, 01:28 AM
he had a ridiculous 48 TD's to 6 INT's going into the florida game in which he threw 2 and 2, finishing with 50/8

he threw 10 but def not 11

Bradford, Sam 14 180.84 328-483-8 67.9 4720 50 77 337.1

Collier11
5/18/2009, 09:06 AM
you are correct

soonerfan28
5/18/2009, 09:34 AM
I don't think you can even tell at this point what Pryor is going to be. Being realistic you would have to compare Pryor's season this fall to Bradford's freshman year. Bradford had an extra year to mature and take in the playbook and Pryor was thrown in as a true freshman, but with that said Pryor is more of a take the 1st read and then run QB. Bradford is more of the pocket passer who has the maturity and intelligence to find the open guy. Also, Ohio State has recruited very well on the O-line and that is going to be a huge help to Pryor in the next couple of years. I think when both of their careers are over at the collegiate level we'll see that Bradford is a better QB.