PDA

View Full Version : Wayman Tisdale

Sooner04
5/15/2009, 10:13 AM
I can still hear it. It's funny the things you remember from your childhood. I can barely see Michael Irvin chugging down the west sideline. I can also see Keith Jackson, #88, going for 88 up the east sideline.

But I can hear Wayman.

In the womb, and as a toddler, I took a seat at the Lloyd Noble Center in what was then Section LE-3. My first games as a human being were played in the fall of 1982 when OU featured a devastating freshman named Wayman Tisdale.

He was there with me as I grew up. There's my parents, video recorder in hand, videotaping their baby boy. That's me. I've got goofy, black sunglasses on and a microphone in my hand. Who's your favorite player, Brandon? I'd answer just like the PA guy would after another Wayman turnaround jumper..........."WAYMAN TIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIISDALE!"

Lots of kids wore #23 in basketball for Michael Jordan. Not me. I wore it for Wayman. Lots of people throw batting averages and stats around. I always remembered a cool one: 2,661. That's the number of points Wayman scored in three years at OU.

Lots of people came to OU Basketball this year and became fans. For them, the foundation of their fandom begins with Blake Griffin. I'm happy for them, but I'm different. Mine begins with Wayman Tisdale, the greatest basketball player in the history of the University of Oklahoma.

Next time OU Basketball comes up, don't forget to mention Wayman Tisdale. Talk about the turnaround jumper that was pure buttermilk. Remind people of the smile that had more wattage than your local power grid. Most of all, remind them of the person. I met him once, in 1997, and he was very, very kind. As far as I know, he was that way to everybody.

My favorite Sooner of all-time is gone, but I won't let him be forgotten. The record speaks for itself.

Points - 2,661 (25.6 PPG)
Rebounds - 1,048 (10.1 RPG)

61 points against UT-San Antonio in 1984
55 points against SW Texas in 1985
51 points against Abilene Christian in 1983
46 points against Iowa State in 1983
44 points against Hawaii in 1983

Wayman played 104 games in Crimson and Cream. He went for more than 30 in 32 of them.

Goodbye, Wayman. You were the best, and I'll miss you.

NormanPride
5/15/2009, 10:17 AM
Hear, hear. I never followed basketball when I was younger, so when I asked "Who's Wayman Tisdale?" to an OSU fan (at the time, he's converted now). He gave me the biggest WTF I've ever seen. His status in basketball truly is legendary.

bri
5/15/2009, 10:18 AM
R.I.P., Wayman. :(

MrJimBeam
5/15/2009, 10:30 AM
Wayman is the only reason I follow Sooner basketball today. It's like part of your childhood passing too.

SoonerJustice
5/15/2009, 10:32 AM
Wayman, you were the best! I cried when you left OU and I cried this morning. You will always be remembered and loved!

Xstnlsooner
5/15/2009, 10:40 AM
I ran into Wayman several times in Tulsa over the last ten years,
just out eating with his family. He was always most gracious
and kind. What a shock! Grace to his family...

OUmillenium
5/15/2009, 10:52 AM
My heart is breaking I just opened this thread without knowing the news. Unbelievable how hard to accept some losses. I was 12 in 1984 and much like the starter of this thread, it was Wayman who made me fall in love with OU basketball => go to bask camps at OU => meet my future brother-in-law => etc. Thanks Wayman for all the ways you have touched this world in a positive light.

Lott's Bandana
5/15/2009, 10:54 AM
Wayman, you were the best! I cried when you left OU and I cried this morning. You will always be remembered and loved!

This.

SoonerShark
5/15/2009, 10:55 AM
We knew he was ill, but he spent his last moments making us feel better so we were hopeful he was getting better. Now that he has passed, there is nobody to take up his spot in our life. My condolences go out to his family along with our thanks for sharing his life's moments with us.

Thousands Strong
5/15/2009, 10:59 AM
Thanks for being a great example on and off the court, Wayman.

Prayers to his family and friends.

Ardmore_Sooner
5/15/2009, 10:59 AM
I can't lie, I shed a few tears when I heard the news. But I just try to remember the fact that Wayman wouldn't want any of us to sit here and mourn his passing. He'd have the big grin on his face letting all of us know that it was all part of God's plan.

We'll miss you Wayman.

OUmillenium
5/15/2009, 11:10 AM
Amen Ardmore

GoState
5/15/2009, 11:14 AM
He was one of the best and most consistent players I've seen come through Gallagher-Iba. He was classy then and remained a great ambassador for Oklahoma. He will be missed.

Sooner04
5/15/2009, 11:14 AM
In 1997, as a recruiting ploy, Kelvin decided to retire Wayman's number in hopes of luring another Booker T. Washington product to Norman, a kid by the name of Ryan Humphrey.

I was in the Boy Scouts for six years, and I eventually earned the rank of Eagle. My dad was one of the assistant scoutmasters, so I rarely, if ever, missed one of the monthly campouts. When word came out that they'd be retiring Wayman's number, it just so happened to be on the same day as one of our campouts.

I went to Dad and asked if I could miss this one and go see Wayman. Normally my requests for missing were met with a swift answer of no. But Dad knew how much I loved Wayman, and it didn't take him long at all to say yes.

So I went to Norman that day and saw us stomp O-State pretty good. But the highlight of that day was meeting Wayman Tisdale and getting to shake his hand for the first, and ultimately only, time. If you thought that smile was radiant on TV, you have no idea how bright it was when you stood right next to him.

Sooner24
5/15/2009, 11:22 AM
Having seen most all the games he played I guess the three moments that stand out most to me were two games in the Big 8 tournament and the last game he ever played in that he won as a Sooner.

First memory was the 1984 Big 8 tournament championship game against Kansas. Tim McAlister let fly a shot from the top of the key, at the buzzer, that would have won the game. It didn't find its mark and I will never forget Wayman on the floor beating the court with his fist.

Memory number two was the next year also at the Big 8 tournament championship game. We were playing ISU and had the game wrapped up. The OU fans there were badly out numbered by the Cyclone fans but the chant started up "one more year" "one more year" for Wayman to come back for his senior season. As we were chanting the Iowa State fans started chanting too and as we got quite to hear what they were chanting it was "GO PRO!" "GO PRO!". He listened to them.

Last Wayman memory was the La Tech game in Dallas at the NCAA Regional. I am sure many have seen the shot WWT took that bounced around the rim forever but when it went in our whole section erupted.

Going to my sons graduation tonight at OU will be just a little bitter-sweet.

OhU1
5/15/2009, 11:28 AM
Wayman and I are the same age and both entered OU as Freshmen in 1982. Wayman is my all time favorite OU athlete. He was as dominant in his day as any athlete that has played at OU in any sport. He was always gracious, upbeat, and seemed to have humility. I can't believe he's gone.

NMSooner'80
5/15/2009, 11:49 AM
I have the games he played against Syracuse ('84), Georgia Tech ('85) and Louisiana Tech ('85 NCAA Sweet 16 game) on tape. I'll have to take a look again, but I just hope I don't break down at those memories.

I only met him once, but I know he was of such good character that I'm still feeling it a bit.

Cappy
5/15/2009, 11:55 AM
Thanks 04, summed it up nicely. What an amazing player he was, but an even better person. That gets said too often in most cases, but won't be said enough about Wayman. Gonna miss his smile. What a sad day, but Heaven got a good one today.

StoopTroup
5/15/2009, 12:22 PM
Sad day.

He was a great guy.

I'll miss him.

God Bless the Family during this time of loss.

OUAlumni1990
5/15/2009, 12:23 PM
Heartbreaking. RIP...

boomersooner28
5/15/2009, 12:26 PM
WE LOVE YOU WAYMAN! Prayers to the family. :(

What a sucky day.

NMSooner'80
5/15/2009, 12:28 PM
I borrowed this from the AOL.com report on his passing:

"After three years at Oklahoma, the 6-foot-9 Tulsa native spent 12 seasons in the NBA with the Indiana Pacers, Sacramento Kings and Phoenix Suns, then became an award-winning jazz musician, with several of his albums making the top 10 on the Billboard charts.

The famously upbeat Tisdale first learned he had cancerous cyst below his right knee after he broke his leg in a fall at his home in Los Angeles on Feb. 8, 2007. He said then he was fortunate to have discovered the cancer at an early stage.

"Nothing can change me," Tisdale told The Associated Press last June. "You go through things. You don't change because things come in your life. You get better because things come in your life."

His leg was amputated last August and a prosthetic leg that he wore was crimson, one of the colors of his beloved Oklahoma Sooners. He made a handful of public appearances in recent weeks, including on April 7 at an Oklahoma City Thunder game, at which he received the team's Community Hero Award.

Also within the past month, Tisdale was honored in a ceremony at the Greenwood Cultural Center in his hometown and presented with the Legacy Award. During the ceremony, he spoke about his fight with cancer, saying "In my mind, I've beaten it."

Last month, Tisdale also learned he had been chosen for induction into the National Collegiate Basketball Hall of Fame. "

Sooner04
5/15/2009, 12:52 PM
Billy Tubbs loathed the free press garnered by the powers of the conferences of the East Coast. Our coach took great pride in taking his "renegade" program to face the powers of the ACC and Big East, the "darlings" of the media.

And so it was on March 3, 1985, a day after defeating Nebraska in Lincoln to seal up another Big 8 Championship, the Sooners welcomed the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets to the Lloyd Noble Center. The Sooners were Wayman's crew, but the Jackets featured two future NBA stars in Mark Price and John Salley.

Tech led all day, but the Sooners rallied in front of a frenzied crowd and a vast national TV audience. A follow slam by Anthony Bowie put the Sooners in front and eliminated what had been a double-digit deficit mere moments earlier. The Sooners kept coming and kept coming.........and the lead grew. Tech had the ball down 85-80 with just a few seconds to go when they turned it over again.

The ball was tossed back down to the South end and into the waiting hands of Wayman Tisdale. He roared toward the goal and nanoseconds before the clock expired flushed down a reverse slam that sent the Lloyd Noble Center into orbit.

87-80, final.

The Sooners and their superstar, Wayman Tisdale, were for real.

King Crimson
5/15/2009, 01:00 PM
The Sooners and their superstar, Wayman Tisdale, were for real.

I was at that game.

for me, the greatest, best sports fandom i've ever experienced was for the mid 80's OU teams with Billy. Not so much the 88 and 90 teams, but the Tisdale, Chucky Barnett, David Little to T-Mac, Choo, and DJ teams that put OU into the tournament, making some noise (one hoop away from the Final Four), and squarely on the national map (as others have noted, much to the chagrin of the "blue blood" hoops and Big East/ACC humping somewhat nascent ESPN honks: "they'll never win, they don't play defense").

and Wayman was THE guy.

edit: and Billy loved to beat those ACC teams.

stoops the eternal pimp
5/15/2009, 01:14 PM
ESPN with some good coverage going on...Avery Johnson just referred to him as an "American hero"....Avery is saying some great things

stoops the eternal pimp
5/15/2009, 01:15 PM
http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=4169318&categoryid=2459788

King Crimson
5/15/2009, 01:20 PM
and since all the other media have him in a Suns uni:

http://www.gerrymay.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/wayman-tisdale-ou1.jpg

King Crimson
5/15/2009, 01:22 PM
http://rushthecourt.files.wordpress.com/2008/09/wayman-tisdale-ou.jpg

badger
5/15/2009, 01:26 PM
and since all the other media have him in a Suns uni:

<<<<--- One of the coolest Wayman pics I've ever seen. Here's the entire pic:

http://www.tulsaworld.com/articleimages/2009/20090515_tisdale80515.jpg

TheHumanAlphabet
5/15/2009, 01:28 PM
I was on the wall as the Human Alphabet for the last time in 1982. I do remember Wayman. RIP! You will be remember for a very long time.

This one's for you!

O - K - L - A - H - O - M - A!

Oklahoma
Oklahoma
Oklahoma

Yeah!

Sooner04
5/15/2009, 01:38 PM
I was doing fine. I really was. I mean I was really, really sad, but I was doing OK. You begin to brace yourself for news like this when you hear someone has cancer.

But when I saw this picture below I cried like a little baby.

http://www.faqgo.com/images//2008/08/p1_tisdlae.jpg

NMSooner'80
5/15/2009, 02:20 PM
Been fighting the waterworks myself, all day. The ESPN video that goes with Anna Clemmons' story will likely make you "lose it" no matter how hard you fight it. What a profile in courage he was! :(

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/truehoop/0-40-83/Anna-K--Clemmons-Remembers-Wayman-Tisdale.html

stoopified
5/15/2009, 02:28 PM
This hurts deeply.

Sooner04
5/15/2009, 02:37 PM
In the fall of 2002 I began interning in the Channel 9 sports department. Thursdays weren't so bad because there was high school football to watch, chart and edit.

But Tuesdays were brutal.

So, about three weeks into my three month, twice a week internship, I began to spelunk around the department's video archives. I watched Abe Lemons get tossed in a game against Oklahoma Christian. I watched Stan Chase, the sports department's cameraman, go deep into the reasons why the US Open bowling conditions at Boulevard Bowl in 1988 would be far different than what the house bowlers were used to.

But what I really loved was watching Wayman. The Georgia Tech game in '85? Check. Syracuse in '84? Check. The two meetings with the Mailman and La Tech during the '85 season? Check.

But the one that blew me away was the 55-point game against Southwestern Texas. Wayman would come down the floor, post up, and score. There was absolutely nothing to it. It was like watching some sort of bionic scoring machine. He'd make a move and score. Next time he'd fake the first move and go to another move to score.

Then the turnaround.
Then the fadeaway.

The great ones make it look effortless. Wayman looked like he was in a rec league back home in Tulsa.

I'd wear those tapes out. Defenses would throw the kitchen sink at him and it was useless. Once he got the ball down in that block you might as well start jogging back down the floor because it was money. WAYMAN TIIIIIIIIIIIIIIISDALE!

I saw Blake Griffin go for 40 and 23 against Texas Tech in Norman. As we left the arena I heard all these people talking about how they'd just witnessed the greatest performance in Sooner history. I smiled, but I didn't nod. I let them have their thoughts, but I knew better.

Why? Because I'd seen better. I saw Wayman Tisdale.

NMSooner'80
5/15/2009, 02:40 PM
Arizona Republic (in Phoenix) has a story on its site, with a condolences link below it:

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns/articles/2009/05/15/20090515obittisdale-ON.html

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
5/15/2009, 02:54 PM
one of the coolest things ever was watching him, jeff webster and brent price jacking around at huffman one hot july day in 1990. they were in constant chatter, laughing at everything while hitting every thing that they threw at the hoop. i just sat on the steps watching them for 20 minutes in awe.

soonerfaninfla
5/15/2009, 03:07 PM
He was the greatest and he and his family are in my prayers

NMSooner'80
5/15/2009, 03:09 PM
I also will never forget the quote from Blake Griffin when he was asked about getting to wear #23 at OU. He referred to Wayman as "Mr. Tisdale." There's another kid who was raised properly.

King Crimson
5/15/2009, 03:12 PM
every kid i grew up with, we all practiced emulating that sweet turn around J with the soft, effortless trademark release.

Crimson Kid
5/15/2009, 03:26 PM
A great man is gone, but will never be forgotten :(

CU Sooner
5/15/2009, 03:33 PM
Greatest college player I ever saw play. An amazing man both on and off the court. Our loss is Heaven's gain and I know my dad is welcoming him in now and remembering the glory days.

Mjcpr
5/15/2009, 03:43 PM
Reaction To Wayman Tisdale's Death
OKLAHOMA CITY, OK -- Notables from around Oklahoma have issued statements concerning the passing of Wayman Tisdale.
Governor Brad Henry:
"Oklahoma has lost one of its most beloved sons. Wayman Tisdale was a hero both on and off the basketball court. Wayman played at OU during the time I attended school there, and I had the privilege of seeing a true champion in action. He was an incredible athlete and competitor.
"Off the court, he was an equally gifted musician and a tremendous ambassador for our state. I had the pleasure of appointing Wayman to serve on the state Tourism Commission, and it was one of the best appointments I have made as governor.
"In his two-year battle with cancer, Wayman demonstrated courage, faith and true strength of character. Even in the most challenging of times, he had a smile for people, and he had the rare ability to make everyone around him smile. He was one of the most inspirational people I have ever known.
"Wayman Tisdale was a man of extraordinary talents and an extraordinary heart, and he will be deeply missed. Kim and I have Wayman's wife, children and family in our thoughts and prayers."
---
Jeff Capel, Oklahoma men's basketball head coach:
"Wayman Tisdale is one of the best people I have ever had the privilege of knowing. He had an incredible gift of making the people who came in contact with him feel incredibly special. His basketball talent and accomplishments pale in comparison to the impact he had on the lives that he influenced by the way he lived his life, and the tremendous character he displayed in his fight with cancer. Throughout it all, he always had that infectious smile. This is an incredibly sad day as we have lost not only one of the greatest Sooners ever, but one of the all-time best people to walk the face of this earth."
---
Billy Tubbs, former OU basketball coach:
"Wayman, through this fight of his, was the most courageous person that I've ever seen. He was so positive he almost made you feel he was okay when you knew he wasn't. It's a shock. I don't know of any athlete at Oklahoma or any place else who was more loved by the fans who knew him than Wayman Tisdale. He was obviously, a great, great player, but Wayman as a person overshadowed that. He just lit up a room and was so positive. This is a really hard loss and makes any loss in basketball or any other sport insignificant. He was a great human being. I'll miss everything about him."
---
Darryl "Choo" Kennedy, OU forward (1984-87):
"He was my man. I played with him pretty much all my life, going back to AAU. He was the reason I wanted to go to OU. I wanted to play with one of the greatest players to ever come out of Oklahoma. He was a great person. He was always positive, he never let the negative bring us down as a unit. He always smiled and kept us together. I'll miss him. He was one of my brothers."
---
Blake Griffin, OU forward (2008-09):
"This is obviously a sad day, not just for Sooner fans but for anybody who knows Wayman, knows the kind of person he is, the joy he brings into people's lives and the example he is to everybody. I was privileged to get to know him over the two years I was at OU. I spoke with him pretty frequently this past season and he helped me in ways he probably doesn't even know. He's touched so many lives. I'm just happy he's going to a better place."
---
David L. Boren, University of Oklahoma President:
"Wayman Tisdale was not only a great athlete and musician, he was above all a great person. He constantly demonstrated his care and concern for others and was a worthy role model for all of us young and old. The University of Oklahoma will always be proud of his association with the university."
---
John Holcomb, News On 6 sports director:
"I can't say I was a good friend of Wayman Tisdale, even though like many Oklahomans I felt that way. It's easy to think in those terms about someone who seemed so warm, so personable, so happy. His basketball ability is what made us take notice. His personality is what drew us in.
Wayman's style of play was a mix of power and grace. The college game had just experienced Magic Johnson and Larry Bird, but the OU freshman out of Booker T brought something new. Once he got into position down low, defenders had no chance. His left-handed turnaround with that soft touch was unstoppable.
During his three All-American years with the Sooners, three things stick out in my memory. The game with Georgia Tech, led by Mark Price, that the Sooners won in Norman, punctuated by a Tisdale dunk. The game with Tulsa at the Convention Center, a goal-tending call on a shot by Wayman and the subsequent finger-pointing, and Billy Tubbs' vow never to return. And Wayman's game-winner in the NCAA's to beat Karl Malone and Louisiana Tech (and the radio call by John Brooks).
As spectacular as his time in Norman was, Wayman's NBA journey was probably underappreciated. He did end up averaging more than 15 points per game for his career, mostly on below-average teams.
Wayman had plenty of star power, yet he was just fine letting others take center stage. Most may not remember that while Michael Jordan and others took the headlines during the 1984 Olympics, Wayman was Team USA's leading rebounder on that gold medal-winning squad.
That trait translated after his playing days to his music. An award-winning bassist, plenty good enough to take over, but willing to establish the foundation for others to succeed.
When I think of Wayman, I'll remember a big, approachable bear of a man, with that smile. That engaging smile, probably the only thing that outsized his musical talent or what he accomplished on the court.
Thank you Wayman, for making so many of us smile along with you."

Sooner95
5/15/2009, 03:45 PM
Great memories peeps... he will be missed. Really rescued OU basketball from obscurity, put it back on the map. Alot of athletes and coaches owe him a dept for that. He was successful in the NBA and a hell of a musician as well.

He will be missed, but not forgotten. May he rest in peace now.

Also, I think it's a good time to retire that number 23, not for Blake, but for Wayman.

GrapevineSooner
5/15/2009, 04:02 PM
A very large part of my sports youth died today.

RIP, Wayman.

Basketball player, accomplished musician, and just one helluva human being

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
5/15/2009, 04:27 PM
I saw Blake Griffin go for 40 and 23 against *Texas* Tech in Norman. As we left the arena I heard all these people talking about how they'd just witnessed the greatest performance in Sooner history. I smiled, but I didn't nod. I let them have their thoughts, but I knew better.

Why? Because I'd seen better. I saw Wayman Tisdale.

yeah, i watched price go for 56 against loyola and i didn't even say that. of course, the off the glass 3 ball, falling out of bounds in the deep corner was one of the most ridiculous shots in LN history.

tulsaoilerfan
5/15/2009, 05:18 PM
RIP Wayman; i feel like a part of me has died today :(

Mile High Sooner
5/15/2009, 07:08 PM
It just sucks...

azheat4u
5/15/2009, 07:38 PM
He was the best not just on the court but off of it as well. Some of my greatest basketball memories were of him and he will truly be missed.

RIP W.W.T - Wonderful Wayman Tisdale - #23 will never be forgotten.

AlbqSooner
5/15/2009, 07:58 PM
I have watched a lot of basketball in my years. Wayman was a great player. There are many other great players, some of whom I had the pleasure of watching in person. The thing that really stands out in my mind is that Wayman, WITHOUT QUESTION, enjoyed playing the game more than anyone I have seen and was quick to share that joy with his teammates and fans. As you read through the many articles and postings about Wayman, take a moment to reflect on how many of them mention, "that smile".

A very good human being. Gone but far from forgotten.

Cam
5/15/2009, 08:40 PM
Gone but never forgotten.

What's been very cool is hearing and seeing the reaction from all over the country. Wayman was one of the rare ones that was a better person than player or musician. And he was hella good at both. A very rare man indeed.

Soonerus
5/15/2009, 09:38 PM
Geez, not Wayman !!!!

tulsaoilerfan
5/15/2009, 10:38 PM
The best basketball player this state ever produced; i don't see anyone topping what he did while at OU

wishbonesooner
5/15/2009, 10:56 PM
I was getting into my car after my mother's funeral this morning. Hearing the newscast on the radio made a very sad day even more gloomy. Wayman's great faith was the same as my dear mother's. God bless them both.

Sooner24
5/16/2009, 12:01 AM
I was getting into my car after my mother's funeral this morning. Hearing the newscast on the radio made a very sad day even more gloomy. Wayman's great faith was the same as my dear mother's. God bless them both.

Sorry to hear about the lose of your mom. :(

stoopified
5/16/2009, 12:52 AM
As long as WT remains in our hearts and minds he lives on.

sooneron
5/16/2009, 01:12 PM
Man, I loved to watch him play and even loved it more to see his smile. I got meet him once and when they say he lit up a room, they were wrong. He WAS the room!

RIP Wayman. I'll always remember you.

Bosley
5/16/2009, 08:38 PM
I wonder if OU is going to do anything to remember him. Dedicate part of Loyd Noble to him or something. He was too good an ambassador of the state and human being not to have his memory immortalized on campus.

BillyBall
5/16/2009, 08:45 PM
Way too ****ing young...

GottaHavePride
5/16/2009, 09:51 PM
Consider this one stuck.

Dang.

Sooner_75
5/16/2009, 11:46 PM
Instead of dedicating part of Lloyd Noble why not re-name the arena for him. He is the reason OU basketball is on the map. I would love to see a game in Wayman Tisdale areana, guess I could settle for seeing a game on Wayman Tisdale Court.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
5/17/2009, 11:16 AM
My first memories of basketball of any kind include Wayman.

Any time I think of him, I also think of my Grandma who died in 1996. She loved her Sooner Hoops. Her friends learned early on not to call during a game, because she wasn't going to answer. Wayman was always her favorite. I've posted this previously, but I think it is worth posting in this thread.

When my Grandma died, all of her important papers and keepsakes were discovered in a small lock box in her closet. Included in this box along with the standard insurance papers, were valentines, birthday cards and letters from her 5 grandkids.

We also learned that my Grandma secretly wished she had a 6th grandchild.

You see, along with all of the mementos we had given her were newspaper clippings and photographs and an autograph from Wayman Tisdale.

soonervegas
5/17/2009, 08:39 PM
I am in agreement that the BEST thing to do would be to rename the arena after Tisdale. I don't know how that would work with the current namesake, but bare minimum Tisdale court.

badger
5/18/2009, 06:35 AM
Tisdale public memorial service info here. (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sports/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20090516_92_0_Wayman287816)

Here's info on how to donate to Wayman's foundation:

Wayman Tisdale Foundation
c/o Paul Samuels
Morgan Stanley
2200 S. Utica Place, Suite 500
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 582-3211 or (800) 877-8651

Cards and letters can be sent to:

Regina K. Tisdale
c/o Friendship Church
1709 N. Madison Ave.
Tulsa, OK 74106

badger
5/20/2009, 09:45 AM
More info on today's and tomorrow's events, as well as an Oklahoma Jazz Hall of Fame tribute/fundraiser here. (http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=298&articleid=20090520_298_0_TheOkl74316)

cjames317
5/20/2009, 01:07 PM
I didn't care about basketball at all before Wayman came to Norman. He turned me into the kind of fan willing to wake up early on a Saturday and go to LNC at 8:00 to get a good seat in the student section for the Georgia Tech game and a college hoops fan since. I hope to see a statue of him outside the LNC. RIP Wayman.

NMSooner'80
5/20/2009, 01:25 PM
I didn't care about basketball at all before Wayman came to Norman. He turned me into the kind of fan willing to wake up early on a Saturday and go to LNC at 8:00 to get a good seat in the student section for the Georgia Tech game and a college hoops fan since. I hope to see a statue of him outside the LNC. RIP Wayman.

While I was an OU basketball fanatic five years before his arrival, I definitely agree on the statue!

badger
5/20/2009, 02:04 PM
While I was an OU basketball fanatic five years before his arrival, I definitely agree on the statue!

It was suggested by me and others that similar to Heisman Park we could start a Naismith Park at LNC for our Naismith winners... I'm sure we can find a way to include Tisdale in our memorializing plans... perhaps an area for Olympic medalists?
http://www.tulsaworld.com/articleimages/2009/20090515_tisdale20515.jpg

badger
5/21/2009, 02:13 PM
His public funeral at Tulsa's BOK Center just ended. A lot of speakers and music performances, including Wayman's band and Toby Keith. An estimated 3,000 attended.

goingoneight
5/21/2009, 09:37 PM
I still just can't believe it, you know?

Rest in peace, Wayman. You'll never be forgotten.

badger
6/24/2009, 10:03 AM
The honors keep pouring in a month later:
Linky (http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=17&articleid=20090624_17_0_hrimgs558169)

GottaHavePride
6/25/2009, 03:19 PM
I was about to come post that if no one else had. :)

SoonerGrant
6/25/2009, 09:09 PM
Whoops, I just made a thread about that...should have looked here first.

Boomer.....
10/7/2009, 07:40 AM
New song by Toby Keith about Wayman Tisdale on his new album. Very good and touching song.

(Ignore the foreign website and dude modeling underwear)

Cryin' For Me (Wayman's Song) (http://www.nhaccuatui.com/nghe?M=9RMTt2JLVY)

w0lfe
10/7/2009, 08:31 AM
Thats awesome of Toby to do that. I have so many Wayman autographs. He couldnt believe the basketball cards that i brought for him to sign back at the OLD athletic village. He loved the card when he played in the ole baby blue Kings uniform

Lott's Bandana
10/7/2009, 08:35 AM
Damn.

That hurts.

badger
11/2/2009, 01:41 PM
Here (http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=269&articleid=20091102_371_0_Monday292093) is a link to the music video version of TK's song.

If you're at work, you might want to wait until you're at home where nobody can see you tear up :(

soonervegas
11/3/2009, 10:05 AM
Watched it at work....bad idea.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
11/6/2009, 09:51 AM
Not a Toby fan at all but this is a really good tribute.

NorthernIowaSooner
11/22/2009, 11:54 PM
didnt see this posted, a good honor

from soonersports.com

TISDALE INTO THE COLLEGIATE HOOPS HALL
A big night for the OU family in Kansas City, Mo., this evening as the late Wayman Tisdale will be inducted in the National Collegiate Basketball Hall of Fame. Tisdale, who is the Sooners' all-time leading scorer and rebounder despite turning pro after his junior season, will join Larry Bird, Magic Johnson, Travis Grant, coaches Gene Bartow and Jud Heathcote and contributors Bill Wall and Walter Byers as inductees.

OU's Joe Castiglione and Jeff Capel will be in attendance at the Midland Theatre, as will former OU head coach Billy Tubbs, some of Tisdale's OU teammates and Tisdale's family.

Fans can listen to the event live on Sirius/XM Radio (Sirius 122 and XM 143) beginning at 8 p.m. CST. ESPNU is scheduled to televise the ceremony Dec. 13 at 8 p.m. CST.

Tisdale passed away from cancer last May at the age of 44.

badger
12/3/2009, 10:15 AM
Anyone else notice the Wayman 23 patches the players are wearing? Very cool.

http://i47.tinypic.com/beucys.jpg

Sorry, that's the best pic I could find on SS.com showing it :(

They wore red ones with their cream uniforms last night.

bri
12/3/2009, 01:54 PM
The first 2,000 fans at the Mizzou game 1/16 get one of the Wayman patches.

badger
1/4/2010, 02:47 PM
If you get a chance, check out the latest SI. They have a full-page pic of Wayman as well as an obit (for the end of the decade, they featured some of the players who passed away during the Aughts). It is this one right here:
http://i.cdn.turner.com/sivault/si_online/covers/images/2009/1228_large.jpg

I should warn you, there is also a certain feature about a certain incident that happened after a certain bowl game (see the top of the cover)

bri
1/19/2010, 06:24 PM
The first 2,000 fans at the Mizzou game 1/16 get one of the Wayman patches.

Check that, the marketing department pulled a switcheroo. Now "Remembering Wayman Tisdale" day will be the Texas game on 2/6.

badger
1/26/2010, 11:39 AM
Always more to say about Wayman, isn't there?

The OU Wayman Tisdale Specialty Health Center broke ground in north Tulsa yesterday.

Link (http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=17&articleid=20100126_17_A1_Bailey474564&archive=yes)

http://s3.amazonaws.com/newsok-photos/831869/medium.jpg
Tisdale's wife Regina is in the middle. More pics if you follow the link. What a way to honor Wayman :)

bri
1/28/2010, 11:43 PM
Here's the patch they're giving out at the Texas game:

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/okla/sports/genrel/auto_original/3166264.jpeg

westcoast_sooner
2/6/2010, 06:32 PM
In all honesty, I never followed OU basketball nearly as much as I follow the football program. But I knew of Wayman when I lived in Oklahoma, and heard that he was an accomplished jazz musician.

Now I live in California, and a few years ago, had tickets to a concert - Wayman wasn't the headliner, but played first. I went back to the merch table, bought one of his CDs and asked him to sign it.

It was the first and only time I ever met him. But I remember having a great conversation about living in Oklahoma, and thinking about what a great guy he was. So friendly to all his fans, and so appreciative.

Really glad to see them honor him during today's game - a really fitting way to do it - against OU's biggest rival, and coming out with a win.

I'm sure Wayman is looking down from heaven and is smiling on all this today.

badger
10/25/2010, 02:15 PM
It turns out that Wayman has a little bit more to share:

New funk album (http://www.tulsaworld.com/scene/article.aspx?subjectid=269&articleid=20101025_371_0_mrhtwu135600)

badger
3/4/2011, 02:39 PM
Wayman Tisdale clinic one step closer to opening (http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=17&articleid=20110304_17_0_TeUies294079)

Sooner74
3/4/2011, 02:43 PM
I hope his memory is served well. From my time at OU as an undergraduate, Wayman Tisdale made me realize that being a great human is more rewarding than personal gain.

Lott's Bandana
12/2/2011, 11:44 AM
I watched The Wayman Tisdale Story on NBA.TV last night. I've never listened to Toby's song about him, because I was sure I couldn't get through it, so at the end of the program they play it and I kept it on.

I'm still tearing up.

Other than Meyer/Tebow, I can't think of another Coach/Player relationship so strong and so identifiable with each other than Tisdale/Tubbs. I am always grateful I got to experience it/him.

Boomer.....
3/1/2012, 02:26 PM
The Wayman Tisdale Story:

http://www.vidxden.com/127hborzvcjf/The_Wayman-Tisdale_Story_2011_SDTV_XVID-QP.flv.html

badger
6/6/2013, 11:34 AM
Wayman's mom passed away recently. She was 82. More info here. (http://www.tulsaworld.com/article.aspx/Services_held_for_Deborah_Tisdale_82/20130606_11_A11_CUTLIN482564)

"Studies always come first. ... When that ball is deflated, you have to have something to stand on," she once told The Tulsa Tribune, recalling an admonition she drove home, especially with sons William and Wayman.

picasso
2/12/2014, 01:28 AM
I saw him several times out and about in Tulsa.
The best may have been at the Tulsa State Fair in college.
Believe it ir not, I was a baller back in the day and I'm a lefty, I'm shooting the free throw game at the fair when I look next to me and it's Wayman, swishing one with his dayghter on his shoulders!

FaninAma
3/19/2015, 06:59 PM
OU needs another ambassador like Wayman.

Eielson
3/19/2015, 07:07 PM
OU needs another ambassador like Wayman.

No disagreement here, but I'm curious as to where this is coming from.