PDA

View Full Version : Sooners vs Fake Army of College Station I

jadubya
5/14/2009, 07:05 PM
NORMAN, Okla. – On Friday, May 15, fans are invited to join the No. 13 Oklahoma Baseball team this as it promotes Leukemia and Lymphoma Awareness at L. Dale Mitchell Park. The Sooners host No. 16 Texas A&M in their final Big 12 series of the 2009 season.
Prior to the game, Power Roofing and Exteriors will present a check for $4,150 to the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society of Oklahoma in memory of Mitchell Whitaker, a special friend of the OU Baseball Team. Throughout the season, the company has donated $50 for each of the 83 home runs hit by the Sooners. Power Roofing will continue to give $50 for each home run hit through the end of the regular season.

“We are proud to support OU Baseball and the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society and are excited to give this gift in memory of Mitchell Whitaker,” said Power Roofing owner Tim Burns. “It’s been exciting to watch the Sooners’ success this season and know that we are contributing to such a meaningful cause. We hope that Sooner fans will come out show their support this Friday.”

Mitchell Whitaker, an avid OU baseball fan, was diagnosed with leukemia in August of 2005 at age eight. Also a talented baseball player, Mitchell continued to lead his Bethany Broncos baseball team even while receiving chemotherapy treatments.

In May 2006, Mitchell connected with OU Head Coach Sunny Golloway, Director of Baseball Operations Ryan Gaines, and then-OU player, Russell Raley (now a volunteer assistant coach) when they visited the OU Medical Center during the 2006 Big 12 Championship. After their visit, the Sooners invited Mitchell to join the team in the dugout as they faced OSU in the tournament and later invited Mitchell to attend the NCAA Regional Championship in Norman.

Following OU’s postseason run, Mitchell attended and excelled at OU Baseball Camp and continued to stay in touch with the OU team through the next year. Mitchell continued to play baseball and attended OU Baseball camp in 2007, while receiving more chemotherapy treatments. In August of 2007, Mitchell suffered a relapse and was admitted to the hospital. The OU coaches were at Mitchell’s bedside from September 24-26 and after a long battle with leukemia, Mitchell passed away on September 27, 2007 at age 10.
During the 2008 baseball season, Coach Golloway changed his uniform number from 29 to 18 in Mitchell’s honor.

"Mitchell was a loved individual that members of our team were lucky enough to know and spend time with,” said Golloway. He had the characteristics that we desire our players to have. It was truly amazing for someone at his age to have the toughness and the strength to battle such a terrible disease and still enjoy life to its fullest.

“The Whitakers mean a lot to Sooner baseball and they will always be a part of our family.”

This Friday, May 15, 2009, would have been Mitchell Whitaker’s12th birthday.
“Our family is humbled and honored to be a part of this great event,” said John Whitaker, Mitchell’s father. “Our son, Mitchell, proclaimed that he wanted to become a doctor to help find a cure for leukemia. He passed away before being able to see that goal realized. His last words before passing away were ‘keep fighting’ and we are so grateful for the generosity of Power Roofing and the OU baseball program as they ‘keep fighting’ to raise awareness and honor Mitchell’s legacy.
“Leukemia causes more deaths than any other cancer among children and young adults under the age of 20 and events like this will, hopefully, cause people to want to join the fight to find a cure. The OU baseball program made Mitchell a part of their team and it is perfectly fitting that this event is taking place on his 12th birthday at his favorite ballpark. Go Mitch Go!”

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CRAIG MORAN | Assistant Director - Baseball and Soccer Contact
University of Oklahoma Athletics Media Relations

jadubya
5/14/2009, 07:17 PM
http://www.soonersports.com/sports/m-basebl/spec-rel/051409aah.html

From the OU Baseball website.......

Ardmore_Sooner
5/14/2009, 09:54 PM
jadubya, I'd be there but I got to gradjiate! I think it's awesome what has been going on with this organization, and even more excited that we have been belting so many homers this year to add to it.

God bless you and yours!

jadubya
5/14/2009, 10:17 PM
no worries, man....i will be there on saturday....down the third base line in the folding chair. gonna be a fun night fo sho!

Ardmore_Sooner
5/14/2009, 11:25 PM
Should be there Saturday! If so I'll PM you and let you know where I'm sitting, I'd love to meet you!

Collier11
5/15/2009, 12:06 AM
Ill be there Friday, hangin out in right field

Collier11
5/15/2009, 12:19 AM
Does anyone know, will they still get on to you for drinkin out beyong the outfield? Not sure if I need a sonic cup or not?

Ardmore_Sooner
5/15/2009, 01:49 AM
Sonic cup, just in case. I've heard they crack down a little harder then they used too.

C&CDean
5/15/2009, 03:29 PM
Sonic cup, just in case. I've heard they crack down a little harder then they used too.

More like a lot harder than they used to. Used to be couches and sofas, tailgate rigs, etc. out there with kegs and stuff. Now, you can't be seen at all with anything that even looks semi-alcoholic.

Of course back then you didn't want to bring your young kids out there on the berm. I've heard every kind of F word, seen fights, and all kinds of other lewd activities on those berms over the years. Nowadays, it's pretty mellow out there.

Collier11
5/15/2009, 09:19 PM
Ou with a big 6-5 win tonight, Doyle pitched 7 strong, Wise hit a bomb, and Hernandez hit a 2 run jack

SeattleOUstudent
5/15/2009, 10:21 PM
anything televised this weekend?

jadubya
5/15/2009, 11:42 PM
Great night and a great win by the Sooners. Every run in the game was scored by the long ball from BOTH teams. Jamie Johnson crushes a 1st pitch/1st inning fastball over dead center to start the game! Hernandez with a 3 run jack and JT Wise hit a line drive, 2 run HR that may still be traveling around Del City......

Collier11
5/16/2009, 08:21 PM
OU up 5-0 in the 6th of game 2

nighttrain12
5/16/2009, 08:33 PM
OU up 5-0 in the 6th of game 2

Thanks for the update. It sounds like OU is getting hot going into the Big 12 tournament next week.

Collier11
5/16/2009, 08:47 PM
8-0 OU after a Baker 2 run double and a Buechele rbi double

SeattleOUstudent
5/16/2009, 09:51 PM
BTW, do a search tomorrow. Im sure the game will be on this site for free ;)

http://channelsurfing.net/

Ardmore_Sooner
5/17/2009, 12:01 AM
Jadubya you making the game tomorrow?

SeattleOUstudent
5/17/2009, 10:23 AM
ah yes, here it is....

http://www.channelsurfing.net/watch-oklahoma-baseball.html

setem
5/17/2009, 10:29 AM
It looks like these guys have found their stride. Finishing aTm off today will go a long way.

Keep the heat and stay of fire, we could make a nice run!

jadubya
5/17/2009, 10:48 AM
Ardmore and Soonerfan posse....I will miss today's games....gotta swing the sticks! Our pitching has been outstanding, boys. If THIS team continues to play at this level, they can beat anybody in the country. That is a big "if".

Rocha may be a surprise to most.....but his performance as of late is not a surprise to the coaching staff. Fall of 07...his first semester on campus...he DOMINATED the fall workouts and has had some flashes of that kind of command last season and this year. He throws a very heavy ball that induces alot of ground ball outs.

As I have said in previous post:

IF the bats stay hot to warm...
IF we can minimize the errors by Hernandez & Baker...
IF Doyle can be Doyle...
IF Richards/Hubbard/Rocha....can KEEP us in games early....and
IF Robinson, Anderson, Erben, Seng, & Duke can KEEP us out of trouble late
THEN - we should be in good shape in a regional, super, & hope for Omaha!

It would be great if all these "IF's" could come together for the next 5 weeks.

NMSooner'80
5/17/2009, 12:46 PM
I'm surprised no one posted about the elimination of Silo Tech from the conference tournament. That's the first time since 1977, my freshman year at OU, that the Aggroids won't make the league tourney. :D

Collier11
5/17/2009, 01:43 PM
OU is up 1-0 in the 2nd inning

Collier11
5/17/2009, 01:46 PM
Ou scores on an error, now 3-0

King Crimson
5/17/2009, 02:44 PM
top 6. 4-0 Sooners.

let's close these guys out.

nighttrain12
5/17/2009, 03:08 PM
I'm surprised no one posted about the elimination of Silo Tech from the conference tournament. That's the first time since 1977, my freshman year at OU, that the Aggroids won't make the league tourney. :D

Oh well, at least the Aggie fans can spend their time rooting for their Women's softball team .... not that there is anything wrong with that. ;)

Collier11
5/17/2009, 03:10 PM
up 5-2 now in the 7th

King Crimson
5/17/2009, 03:37 PM
5-3, bottom 8. big K to end the top half with Aggie trying runs aboard.

Collier11
5/17/2009, 03:49 PM
we get the run back, now 6-3

Collier11
5/17/2009, 03:57 PM
Duke gives up a 2 run jack, now 6-5 in the 9th with 1 out...ruh roh

Collier11
5/17/2009, 04:01 PM
after an infield single, Duke gives us a deep fly ball out, phew! 2 down

Collier11
5/17/2009, 04:04 PM
Duke makes it interesting but gets out of trouble, OU sweeps A&M and possibly locks up a regional?

King Crimson
5/17/2009, 04:05 PM
whew. Duke came right at him on 2-2, 2 outs, for the K and the W.

King Crimson
5/17/2009, 04:05 PM
where can a guy see conference standings?

Collier11
5/17/2009, 04:07 PM
Big12sports.com usually updates them nightly, we are 1 game out of 1st I believe but since Texas beat the dog snot out of us it shouldnt matter

nighttrain12
5/17/2009, 04:08 PM
Yeah! We're #2! Its good we'll be the highest seed on our side of the Big 12 bracket (seeds 2, 3, 6, 7) so we don't lose any 3 way tiebreakers in the tourney.

Galloway sounded confident in the post game radio interview last night that we would get one. I was impressed with how detailed he knew how the other possible borderline hosts had done in their recent games.

nighttrain12
5/17/2009, 04:09 PM
Click the standings tab near the bottom of that page.

http://www.big12sports.com/SportSelect.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=10410&KEY=&SPID=13131&SPSID=106091

King Crimson
5/17/2009, 04:14 PM
thanks train and collier. when i went to big12sports before, i was just looking across the top set on links....like conference releases, stats and results, etc. didn't scroll down.

Ardmore_Sooner
5/17/2009, 04:35 PM
Has anybody seen STEAKER anywhere?

Collier11
5/17/2009, 04:40 PM
you mean stinker?

nighttrain12
5/17/2009, 05:38 PM

The Sooners ended up finishing 1/2 game out of 1st place for the Big 12 title. The Aggies ended up finishing 1/2 game out of 8th place.

I can live with both of those things happening. :)

jadubya
5/17/2009, 07:45 PM
regional is locked up....and i HATE seeing OSU out of the tournament.....but they choked it off multiple times this year.

we should have tech in the first round game with mizzou/a&M in our bracket as well. concerns me a bit because it is really difficult to beat a team 4 times in a season....and the aggies will be red@$$ed for that game.

i just want another shot at texas......

the 3 games that i mentioned in previous threads came back to haunt us:

nebraska, ku, & mizzou....if we win even ONE of those that we gave away....we are the regular season big 12 champs.

NMSooner'80
5/18/2009, 09:31 AM
The NU home loss was especially galling. Tech did throw its best pitcher at OU in the third game of that series, and OU didn't help by making some key errors to help score its runs. But, I also saw where that Tech pitcher, Chad Bettis, got torched by OSU yesterday.

sifa123
6/2/2009, 09:19 AM
jadubya, I'd be there but I got to gradjiate! I think it's awesome what has been going on with this organization, and even more excited that we have been belting so many homers this year to add to it.

arnold
6/25/2009, 01:11 PM
With a record of 109-23 (.826) and six Big 12 championships in 10 seasons, Stoops has reason to be arrogant. But he is not. He is somewhere between humble and unimpressed.

Collier11
6/25/2009, 01:24 PM
Oh, I see whats going on here

GottaHavePride
6/25/2009, 03:18 PM
Thanks for pointing that out...

:)