View Full Version : **Mormon Tabernacle Choir at the LNC**

Lott's Bandana
5/13/2009, 05:02 PM
Cadre' of spies?

http://www.normantranscript.com/localnews/local_story_122012731

:eek:

StoopTroup
5/13/2009, 05:35 PM
We should make them wear some sort of GPS name tag while they're here.

JLEW1818
5/13/2009, 05:37 PM
hahahahahaha ^^

Sooner04
5/13/2009, 09:24 PM
Is SoonerStormChaser going?

LoyalFan
5/14/2009, 04:37 AM
No...NO....NOOOOOO! They got it wrong!
It's the singers from OSWhom?...The Moron Tab 'n Apple Choir!
Before each gig they all drink a Tab(TM) and eat an apple.
Geez! Whatever happened to proof reading?

LF

badger
5/14/2009, 07:21 AM
Cadre' of spies?

What's funny is the entire choir probably is filled with BYU graduates -- it is definitely the school of choice for those who are very religious among Mormons, kind of like Notre Dame for Catholics.

soonerhubs
5/14/2009, 07:56 AM
What's funny is the entire choir probably is filled with BYU graduates -- it is definitely the school of choice for those who are very religious among Mormons, kind of like Notre Dame for Catholics.

I consider myself very religious among Mormons. However, I'm not a fan of the Y. I consider those guys in Provo very strange and some of them are borderline anal. I attended a research conference there sporting my goatee and youdda thunk I showed up sporten a doobie. Trust me, that's a bubble not all faithful Mormons are attracted to.

badger
5/14/2009, 08:01 AM
I consider myself very religious among Mormons. However, I'm not a fan of the Y. I consider those guys in Provo very strange and some of them are borderline anal. I attended a research conference there sporting my goatee and youdda thunk I showed up sporten a doobie. Trust me, that's a bubble not all faithful Mormons are attracted to.

Kind of like OU fans who are devout Catholics would never want to be within 100 feet of Touchdown Jesus? :D

soonerhubs
5/14/2009, 08:03 AM
Oh... and you guys should go to this. This choir is amazing, historic, and a real treat to listen to regardless of your belief system.

soonerhubs
5/14/2009, 08:04 AM
Kind of like OU fans who are devout Catholics would never want to be within 100 feet of Touchdown Jesus? :D

A-thefreakin-men!

Lott's Bandana
5/14/2009, 11:37 AM

Say it taint so!

C&CDean
5/14/2009, 12:48 PM
Since you aren't allowed to go into a temple and see them, you should do it at this deal. They are good. One hell of a lot better than U2, and a bunch of you guys are willing to stand in line and pay a brazillion $$ to see those no-talent micks.

SoonerInFortSmith
5/14/2009, 01:45 PM
Dateline: September 6, 2009. Provo, Utah.
Choir Cancels Performance
The Mormon Tabernacle Choir has cancelled its upcoming performance in the parking lot of the Salt Lake City Wal-Mart. Instead they will be performing at a memorial service for the BYU football program. The Cougars were slaughtered yesterday at the hands of the Oklahoma Sooners, 97-0. One eyewitness had this to say: "It appears that the Coug's football program will never recover. This just may be the end to their storied history."
In a jesture of interdenominational faith, Touchdown Jesus will give the eulogy. Speculation is that he is only doing so to practice for the eulogy he will soon be giving Notre Dame football. Of course, he vehemently denies the claims. And who is this reporter to call Jesus a liar?

Lott's Bandana
5/14/2009, 03:44 PM
Since you aren't allowed to go into a temple and see them, you should do it at this deal. They are good. One hell of a lot better than U2, and a bunch of you guys are willing to stand in line and pay a brazillion $$ to see those no-talent micks.

I didn't stand in line.

I sat here in my chair and purchased them in between posting prose at SF!

U2 might not compare to say...Wham!, but I am in more for the experience of seeing a concert at OKMemSta than anything else. I've never been to one there.

Plus, I purchased 4 tickets and expect 2 of them to pay for the other two, and my beer, and drugs and tie-dye shirt.

Capitalism rules.

oudivesherpa
5/14/2009, 05:30 PM

Maybe, you can help me, I hear that at the Y they are so faithful there is no way to get their players distracted before the big game, not booze, not gambling, not even a cute blond knocking on their door at 1AM.
What can I do to get them to lose their "game face?" The only thing I could come up with is slipping a fake family tree under their door before the game.
One that would show that the family tree did not branch, but wait it's the Y not Arkansas.

Do they have any vices we can exploit?

soonerhubs
5/14/2009, 08:18 PM
Maybe, you can help me, I hear that at the Y they are so faithful there is no way to get their players distracted before the big game, not booze, not gambling, not even a cute blond knocking on their door at 1AM.
What can I do to get them to lose their "game face?" The only thing I could come up with is slipping a fake family tree under their door before the game.
One that would show that the family tree did not branch, but wait it's the Y not Arkansas.

Caffeine Free Mountain Dew? Jello?

It always gets under my Father-in-law's skin when I call Lavell Edwards a cheat.

If'n I wanted to mess with them, I'd put something about how Jim McMahon is the only true QB to come from that school.

Or ask them if they get their bottle's of Dr. Pepper in a brown paper sack.

You wouldn't understand it, but a sign that says, "BYU=Rameumptom Tech" will be something that'll get to the BYU faithful.

Peem me if you want more. I can brainstorm a few other sayings that may get them riled up.

soonerhubs
5/14/2009, 08:23 PM

Psst. The tabernacle is open to all folks, not just members. They're the Mormon Tabernacle Choir, not the Mormon Temple Choir. ;)

Oh, and if you want to go to a temple, it'll take about a year and half, baptism into the church, and some other preparatory steps, but I can make the arrangements to get the ball rolling. :D

Oh, and the invitation to hear the missionaries share things about our Church, in my home goes out to all you Hillbillies who are interested.

bent rider
5/14/2009, 09:37 PM

Plenty. You are reading the rhetoric and drivel put out by their coach and athletic department. You need to read the newspapers. They like to kick doors in at student apartment buildings, one of their track stars assaulted someone guy on the street with a mop. Last spring there was a big brew-ha-ha over a party - with liquor and all - when football recruits were present. I heard that Unga had a problem with prescription drugs. A few years ago there was a gang rape in a student apartment by the a group of football players. As for their fanbase and students, yeah no caffeine or beards, its all about appearances -- meanwhile they are into all kinds of make-money-quick scams, multi-laevel marketing schemes, pyramid schemes, etc - Provo is a hotbed of all that stuff.

So maybe knock on their door and keep them up all night with a promise to be first in line in some new can't miss MLM.

soonerhubs
5/15/2009, 11:39 AM
Plenty. You are reading the rhetoric and drivel put out by their coach and athletic department. You need to read the newspapers. They like to kick doors in at student apartment buildings, one of their track stars assaulted someone guy on the street with a mop. Last spring there was a big brew-ha-ha over a party - with liquor and all - when football recruits were present. I heard that Unga had a problem with prescription drugs. A few years ago there was a gang rape in a student apartment by the a group of football players. As for their fanbase and students, yeah no caffeine or beards, its all about appearances -- meanwhile they are into all kinds of make-money-quick scams, multi-laevel marketing schemes, pyramid schemes, etc - Provo is a hotbed of all that stuff.

So maybe knock on their door and keep them up all night with a promise to be first in line in some new can't miss MLM.

Why do you hate Quixtar? ;)
Appearance is definitely a big thing. It's not the only thing though. For as peculiar as they are, there are many very wonderful folks over that direction.

I'm guessing you're a U of U graduate?

bent rider
5/17/2009, 12:44 PM
Why do you hate Quixtar? ;)
Appearance is definitely a big thing. It's not the only thing though. For as peculiar as they are, there are many very wonderful folks over that direction.

Yes, of course there are a lot of nice Mormons, even in Provostan.
My point is that the football players are not all angelic servants as their press would have you believe.

Quixtar? Is that the new name for Amway? Anyway, I'm speaking of the whole lot of them, Amway, NuSkin, Tahitian Noni Juice, and several other vitamin and snake oil companies whose names I can't remember.

Yes, I lived in Utah for several years, seen the whole spectrum of BYU fans and alums.

badger
5/18/2009, 07:35 AM
BYU vices to exploit... hmmm...

1- Mandatory mission trips. Just when the biggest game in recent BYU history rolls around, half of the team is in the Middle East for the next two years. Woot!
2- "I can't, I'm Mormon" shirts. Remind all of the BYU'ers that you understand why they are not scoring as many points as the Sooners, why they aren't drinking at their tailgate or just aren't having any fun at all at this 60-3 blowout game... they're Mormon, so they can't! Of COURSE!
3- Stanford halftime shows. Offend them into submission with one of the lamest gimmicky shows the Stanford band's ever performed! Just the mere mention of this show may cause enough of a distraction... not that the Sooners need it... to win by even MORE points!

Note: This was meant as a joke and not to offend our Mormon posters here.

crimson&cream
5/18/2009, 07:53 AM

Jeeze! Badger you call me out for mentioning a Tisdale topic on the FB forum , whats this got to do with FB , and to top it off it's at the basketball facility LNC, shouldn't it be on the basketball forum just as my mentioning of a crap article about Tisdale on the FB forum which you called me out for. No disrespect:pop:

badger
5/18/2009, 07:56 AM
Jeeze! Badger you call me out for mentioning a Tisdale topic on the FB forum , whats this got to do with FB , and to top it off it's at the basketball facility LNC, shouldn't it be on the basketball forum just as my mentioning of a crap article about Tisdale on the FB forum which you called me out for. No disrespect:pop:

:D You're funny. I hope my request to try not to double-post stuff didn't offend you, but it seems to... so anyways, please know that it wasn't the intent.

Oh, and I didn't even start this topic.

walkoffsooner
5/18/2009, 08:24 AM
will be a good palace to pick up a extra wife.

oudivesherpa
5/18/2009, 08:51 PM
will be a good palace to pick up a extra wife.

There is a problem with plural marriage--too many "to do lists" and simultaneous PMS.

badger
5/19/2009, 07:24 AM
There is a problem with plural marriage--too many "to do lists" and simultaneous PMS.

Wait a sec... why are YOU GUYS complaining about PMS?! You don't have THE RIGHT to complain about PMS. It is NOT a second-hand smoke you inhale if you get too close to a woman during that time, nor is it contagious to you boys so that you catch the symptoms.

Stop being such babies :P

Ardmore_Sooner
5/19/2009, 08:11 AM
Wait a sec... why are YOU GUYS complaining about PMS?! You don't have THE RIGHT to complain about PMS. It is NOT a second-hand smoke you inhale if you get too close to a woman during that time, nor is it contagious to you boys so that you catch the symptoms.

Sounds like someone is PMSing. ;)

badger
5/19/2009, 08:19 AM
Sounds like someone is PMSing. ;)

lies. Don't think you can pull out the PMS Card everytime a woman feels cranky. Sexist pig :P

bent rider
5/19/2009, 08:29 AM

Tell it to your sister wives. ;)

badger
5/19/2009, 08:35 AM
Tell it to your sister wives. ;)

huh? aww eff it, it's not worth having a PMS discussion this early in the morning and I know that I'm vastly outnumbered here so I'm headed for an uber loss regardless. just keep the pms jokes to a minimum, mkay?

In the meantime, Mormon ideas to use to BYU's disadvantage...

Move the game to Sunday: BYU insists that it will not play sports on Sundays... automatic win!

Make fun of their mascot: I know we have little room to do this, but check out this logo:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/4/4b/BYU_Logo_1969-1998.png
Must have been tough for fans to swallow, because it was discontinued in 98 :D

Ardmore_Sooner
5/19/2009, 08:36 AM
huh? aww eff it, it's not worth having a PMS discussion this early in the morning and I know that I'm vastly outnumbered here so I'm headed for an uber loss regardless. just keep the pms jokes to a minimum, mkay?

Man somebody sure is cranky! :D :P ;)

badger
5/19/2009, 08:42 AM
Man somebody sure is cranky! :D :P ;)

TRYING to get this topic back on topic... another point of BYU distraction...

Make fun of their hair: Yes, even your haircut is part of the strict honor code at BYU... no Dusty Dvoracek hair allowed! A screenshot from a BYU computer screen saver:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/d7/BYU_hair.JPG/430px-BYU_hair.JPG

Ardmore_Sooner
5/19/2009, 08:50 AM
The shaving thing would kill me. It's not that I like facial hair, I just hate shaving.

bent rider
5/19/2009, 10:45 AM
TRYING to get this topic back on topic... another point of BYU distraction...

Make fun of their hair: Yes, even your haircut is part of the strict honor code at BYU...

You could have a discussion with them about the number of "honor code" violations Jesus Christ Himself would have if He were to step on campus.
1) long hair
2) facial hair
3) unkempt clothing
4) walking on grass
5) drinking wine
6) performing miracles on Sunday
7) challenging religious authorities anal about arbitrary rules

badger
5/19/2009, 11:09 AM
You could have a discussion with them about the number of "honor code" violations Jesus Christ Himself would have if He were to step on campus.
1) long hair
2) facial hair
3) unkempt clothing
4) walking on grass
5) drinking wine

Violation No. 8: Being a Sooner fan :D

Ardmore_Sooner
5/19/2009, 11:32 AM
1) long hair
2) facial hair
3) unkempt clothing
4) walking on grass
5) drinking wine

So how did the Mormons move everything to Utah then? Pave the road along the way?

Never heard that one before.

badger
5/19/2009, 11:40 AM
So how did the Mormons move everything to Utah then? Pave the road along the way?

Perhaps it's like the Texas A&M rule, where it only applies on campus, not elsewhere... but I've never heard Cougars say that their grass is sacred, like the old guy stationed in a lawn chair on gamedays in College Station :D

bent rider
5/19/2009, 12:19 PM

There are signs on campus (or there used to be), "Cougars don't cut corners"

Tried to find it online. This article is a little old, but has the key quote, "The artwork of God the Father and His son is on this earth," said Roy Peterman, director of grounds maintenance. "To have a disrespect for his artwork and living things seems to be the highest form of disrespect."

http://newsnet.byu.edu/story.cfm/46482

oudivesherpa
5/19/2009, 04:59 PM

I have three daughters (ages 14-20) and a wife at home, about the third week of every month, I go fishing and I don't enjoy fishing that much.

Extra Point
5/23/2009, 01:43 AM

Cute AR joke.

If you want to rattle the Mormon football team, you don't have to waste your money. Tell them they have to play the game on Sunday (their Sabbath). It's against their beliefs to cause anyone to work on Sunday. So playing a game which required ushers, security, concession workers, etc. to work would not be an option for Mormons. It's a harmless distraction instilling much guilt.

The devout Mormon owner of the Utah Jazz won't even attend games on Sunday. His company/business schedules how many people to work their "Sabbath" during a playoff game, but if the owner stays home it's all good with he and Joseph Smith? Here's what I don't get, though. If a Mormon is involved in a car crash on the way to church on Sunday, do they call the paramedics and police who are working or do they wait until Monday?

Here's another distraction while lined up...So if an OU player is lined up against a black BYU player, ask them why it took until 1978 for their god to allow black people to get into their "celestial heaven". And be sure and point out WHY the Mormon god would not allow black people into their highest level of heaven until the Mormon god changed his mind. Wait, scratch that because the black BYU player may get so pissed off thinking about those things it spurns him into the performance of his life.

PDXsooner
5/23/2009, 03:25 PM
They are good. One hell of a lot better than U2,

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha you are one funny dude!!!:eek:

soonerhubs
5/23/2009, 08:14 PM
Cute AR joke.

If you want to rattle the Mormon football team, you don't have to waste your money. Tell them they have to play the game on Sunday (their Sabbath). It's against their beliefs to cause anyone to work on Sunday. So playing a game which required ushers, security, concession workers, etc. to work would not be an option for Mormons. It's a harmless distraction instilling much guilt.

The devout Mormon owner of the Utah Jazz won't even attend games on Sunday. His company/business schedules how many people to work their "Sabbath" during a playoff game, but if the owner stays home it's all good with he and Joseph Smith? Here's what I don't get, though. If a Mormon is involved in a car crash on the way to church on Sunday, do they call the paramedics and police who are working or do they wait until Monday?

Here's another distraction while lined up...So if an OU player is lined up against a black BYU player, ask them why it took until 1978 for their god to allow black people to get into their "celestial heaven". And be sure and point out WHY the Mormon god would not allow black people into their highest level of heaven until the Mormon god changed his mind. Wait, scratch that because the black BYU player may get so pissed off thinking about those things it spurns him into the performance of his life.

Dear Extra Point,
Outside of a quick wikipedia reference or two, you seem a little ignorant on the topic, so how about I help you look beyond a few superficial clicks on the internet, and what "Father Bob" says about them thar evil "Mormons" while he passes around the collection plate to pay for his Mercedes this summer.

1) The entire Keeping the Sabbath Day Holy gig? It comes right out of the Old Testament, perhaps if you cracked the Bible open you'd understand that. Also we read in the New Testament the answer to your asinine remark about a car accident on Sunday. Again, since you seem unfamiliar with scripture crack it open to Luke 14:5. (If you need help, try googling it there champ!)
2) Also the devout owner of the Utah Jazz died this spring, so show a little respect. Whether you agree with his belief system or not, someone with a little class, just even a smidgen, wouldn't speak so ill of the man.
3) So you're playing the race card eh? Well, if you claim to be human, which I'm pretty sure you do, and you claim to be American, which I'm pretty sure you do, then you'd know that racial issues affected, and still affect decision makings in every organizations, including religious ones. Do you bring up the race riots when you play TU? No. Now I make no excuses for the Church I belong to, but for you to presume such an authoritative position on a topic you know so little about is, and I understate this, extremely ignorant.

How about you isolate your jokes to BYU fans and leave out religious aspects? As has been shown on this board numerous times, I seldom see anyone else claiming their denomination, most likely because they don't wish to take such an untenable position.

You may want to write this down: It's mighty easy to knock another man's belief system, while keeping your own paradigm on the down low.

starclassic tama
5/23/2009, 08:25 PM
lol bible smack. IF YOU READ YOUR BIBLE EVERY NOW AND THEN MAYBE YOU WOULDN'T BE SO IGNORANT!

soonerhubs
5/23/2009, 08:26 PM
lol bible s*Mack*. IF YOU READ YOUR BIBLE EVERY NOW AND THEN MAYBE YOU WOULDN'T BE SO IGNORANT!

:)

Just go to the Mormon Tabernacle Choir concert. Enjoy the music! :D

IronHorseSooner
5/24/2009, 08:33 AM
Outside of my ex, I find most LDS members to be honest, good people...On the Sabbath issue, they make an exception for emergency services (medical, police, fire, military, etc.)...On the facial hair and walking on the grass issues, I think that is BYU-specific. I know plenty of devout Mormons who have beards (Brigham Young), and who walk on the grass to play catch with their kids (for example)...Agreed, religious smack is juvenile. Having seen the Mormon Tabernacle Choir in perform in person, I recommend going.

MamaMia
5/24/2009, 12:22 PM
What's funny is the entire choir probably is filled with BYU graduates -- it is definitely the school of choice for those who are very religious among Mormons, kind of like Notre Dame used to be for Catholics, until they gave a self professed pro baby killer an honorary degree.
Fixed

badger
5/24/2009, 01:26 PM
religious s*Mack* is juvenile. Having seen the Mormon Tabernacle Choir in perform in person, I recommend going.

Agreed - my religious smacc was in jest and intended to be just modest swipes at the school, as opposed to the religion. I've known Mormons to be very nice and good people.

I have also seen the MTC - it was back when I was about 3 or 4 and I still remember it, because it was that good.

SoonerShark
5/24/2009, 08:01 PM
I don't trust those folks from the cult religion schools like BYU and Notre Dame. The "don't drink the caffeine," "Drink the Kool-aid" and "drink the wine then bend over, altar boy, but don't whine" groups are dangerous. Regardless, the Vermin Tabernacle Choir should be allowed on campus, just watched closely.

Scott D
5/25/2009, 11:19 AM
I like how Mama thinks everyone that goes to ND is catholic :rolleyes: