PDA

View Full Version : Forgotten facts (by many), RE: Mistake of '88

NMSooner'80
5/13/2009, 10:42 AM
- The preseason favorite in the Big 8 in '88 was Missouri, followed by Kansas, then OU.
- Kansas was the preseason No. 1 team in the nation in Basketball Times.
- OU was thought to be in a rebuilding year, after losing Tim McCalister, Choo Kennedy and David Johnson. The two returning starters were second-year JC's, Ricky Grace and Harvey Grant. Some in the Oklahoma media thought OU might fall behind OSU and its "recruiting machine," Leonard Hamilton.

I'm posting this, and on a board that doesn't include Jaysquawks, because I get so sick of the revisionist history behind the so-called "Danny and the Miracles" and their disgusting run through the NCAA tourney. The main fact involving KU was that they underachieved all season, until they caught fire late in the regular season and even beat KSU in Manhattan. That actually helped OU win the league outright - otherwise it'd have been a co-championship with K-State at 12-2.

Of course, I really get sick of the never-ending notion that KU represented truth, justice and the American way, and the 1988 Sooners represented all Evil. Those were some really good kids on that OU team; the problem that many in the non-Oklahoma media had with them was that they won easily and had too much fun doing it.

I also don't think it was a coincidence that OU was almost universally hated in the media because they didn't like Tubbs. It was okay to take pot-shots at him, because he's White. If the media went after John Thompson at Georgetown (another so-called "villian" of that era of college basketball, it was called racism back then.

The whole "OU won with talent; KU won with better coaching" also still steams me to this day. OU had no high school All-Americans; KU did (Manning, Randall, Pritchard), but they just weren't flashy. And, of course in the cases of Randall and Pritchard, they were pigmentally challenged. It was possible, even back then, for a White player to have talent. But most media-darling teams were more racially-mixed than OU was, and didn't put up the numbers that OU did. In the eyes of many media types, it seemed like they thought of slow-down ball as being "better coached" for whatever reason. Arizona, when it first burst onto the scene that year, was another media darling.

And, people old enough to remember that debacle may also remember the stories of how many KU fans followed the OU team bus back to their hotel, so they could taunt the players that much more. Of course, this was all justified because OU was pure Evil and deserved to lose to the self-proclaimed "class program" of the region.

For that matter, both Kansas schools, when I was an OU student from '76-80, had that self-important image of how classy they were. Ugh! KU just elevated that arrogance to new heights.

Collier11
5/13/2009, 10:57 AM
Pretty cool,while I did not know all the facts surrounding that season and how good or not good KU was because I was 7, but you do seem a little bitter

soonerfan28
5/13/2009, 12:35 PM
I think some Jayhawk fans must have jumped him at that hotel he was speaking of.

yermom
5/13/2009, 12:43 PM
you guys wait 'til 04 shows up ;)

NMSooner'80
5/13/2009, 03:59 PM
I think some Jayhawk fans must have jumped him at that hotel he was speaking of.

I didn't go in 1988, thank goodness. But I am still bitter about everything related to that disaster. I probably wouldn't be so disgusted with it, had it not been pretty much billed as "Good vs. Evil" back then.

But, I did take a bus trip, as an OU junior (1979 season) to Lawrence for the OU-KU game. We lost that one - and of course our bus did get showered with insults and taunts when we were getting ready to head for Emporia and our hotel rooms. And, when OU forward Terry Stotts put a hard foul on KU golden boy Darnell Valentine, on a breakaway layup try, KU coach Ted Owens just came unglued. And, the KU network did likewise. You'd have thought Charles Manson had just entered the Allen....

soonervegas
5/13/2009, 04:55 PM
We beat them by 7 at home and away that year. Hardly, the seperation that I would have expected with it becoming the David vs. Goliath battle as time has moved on.

starrca23
5/14/2009, 11:51 AM
KU didn't become a "classy" program until TORW showed up, IMO.

OUmillenium
5/15/2009, 11:04 AM
I've got almost every game from 88 on tape. Watched them repeatedly through high school, that was my hobby (well that and winning 100 games in HS + a state championship). I still have not been able to make it through the KU championship game. Always get too poed at the refs letting Manning do whatever he wants and ticktacking the Sooners. But I haven't tried to watch it in about 15 years. Maybe I'll dig it out this weekend.

cheezyq
5/18/2009, 01:47 PM
Pretty cool,while I did not know all the facts surrounding that season and how good or not good KU was because I was 7, but you do seem a little bitter

I was 11, and all I remember was a bunch of drunk KU fans in Wichita acting like azzhats to my dad and I after we watched the game at a local restaurant. I never really had anything against KU, the university. But KU, the basketball fan, is the most arrogant fan in the history of the world. Sad that a program with a proud tradition has to be represented by a bunch of jackholes.

Unfortunately, they're only secondary in midwestern azzhattery to the KSU football fans that suddenly appeared out of nowhere at the end of the 1991-2 season.

My favorite piece of humorous material in the whole wide world:

https://www.nmnathletics.com/sellnew/ViewItem.dbml?_IN_STORE_=YES&DB_OEM_ID=400&ITMID=1398&ITMCATID=282

Shouldn't the title of that DVD-set have a question mark on the end of it? Decade of Dominance? How many conference titles, and how many national titles did they win/participate in? Their "rival", which it never was a rivalry if you ask any NU fan, won 3 national titles in that decade in the same damn conference during the same time they were "dominating". Geez...decade of dominance. It's only a decade of dominance if they compare those teams to the previous pansies that lined the halls of KSU's past.

NMSooner'80
5/20/2009, 10:20 AM
I will admit to being pleasantly surprised that many KU fans have not only been really decent about Wayman's death, but have also ripped uber-hack Chuck Woodling's sorry, facts-challenged hit piece on Wayman and the '84 Sooners.

But, to me, that's typical of how many KU-related folks viewed OU men's basketball, especially when comparing it to their program. We were Evil; they were "Good." People who were at that '84 game have also said that KU's crowd was pretty vicious, long before any "ring-waving" took place (the pro-KU media types have always said that OU players flipped off the crowd).

soonervegas
5/20/2009, 04:54 PM
But KU, the basketball fan, is the most arrogant fan in the history of the world. Sad that a program with a proud tradition has to be represented by a bunch of jackholes.

Unfortunately, they're only secondary in midwestern azzhattery to the KSU football fans that suddenly appeared out of nowhere at the end of the 1991-2 season.

That's because it is the same fan base.

picasso
5/20/2009, 05:51 PM
so they won 1 out of 3 with better coaching? It took a monumental effort from them and an off night from us for KU to win. Never happen in a best of anything series.

SbOrOiNaEnR
5/21/2009, 09:41 PM
My favorite piece of humorous material in the whole wide world:

https://www.nmnathletics.com/sellnew/ViewItem.dbml?_IN_STORE_=YES&DB_OEM_ID=400&ITMID=1398&ITMCATID=282

Shouldn't the title of that DVD-set have a question mark on the end of it? Decade of Dominance? How many conference titles, and how many national titles did they win/participate in? Their "rival", which it never was a rivalry if you ask any NU fan, won 3 national titles in that decade in the same damn conference during the same time they were "dominating". Geez...decade of dominance. It's only a decade of dominance if they compare those teams to the previous pansies that lined the halls of KSU's past.

I think my favorite thing about this DVD set is that their lone conference championship (at least in recent memory...I didn't bother doing that deep of research) ISN'T EVEN ON THERE!