PDA

View Full Version : I've never Tweeted...

Okla-homey
5/12/2009, 06:52 AM
but I'm sick of hearing about it.

It may be a cool way of advising 100 people you are about to mow your lawn, or that you are having magaritas with your work group at TGIFridays, but frankly, I don't give a damn.

This, in a country that loves its right of privacy and where people will throw a clot at the notion of warrantless wire-tapping. IOW, we really don't mind others knowing what we're doing or are about to do, as long as we are the one putting it out there. Freaky.

BudSooner
5/12/2009, 07:05 AM

It may be a cool way of advising 100 people you are about to mow your lawn, or that you are having magaritas with your work group at TGIFridays, but frankly, I don't give a damn.

This, in a country that loves its right of privacy and where people will throw a clot at the notion of warrantless wire-tapping. IOW, we really don't mind others knowing what we're doing or are about to do, as long as we are the one putting it out there. Freaky.
+1

badger
5/12/2009, 07:24 AM
I am not a twit either.

OU4LIFE
5/12/2009, 07:42 AM
Never tweeted, never intend to.

King Crimson
5/12/2009, 08:08 AM

well, that's because it's a choice people make**.....no correlation to illegal wire-tapping. it may be dumb (Twitter), or seem dumb, but college-age people who grew up with so-called "social networks" do things differently than older folks. it's just the way it is. that rock and roll is no good for anything, either.

**now, if you wanted to talk about how facebook, myspace, etc. are essentially demographic gathering engines which (as bodies of information) are then sold to advertisers, political parties, and some fairly gray area type organizations etc.....that's a different model of "willing" consent.

yermom
5/12/2009, 08:49 AM
you know, Twitter does go both ways. it's not always about what you are posting, it's also about the accounts you are following are posting.

but you also choose what you tweet. not everyone is tweeting every time they fart ;)

http://www.instructables.com/id/The-Twittering-Office-Chair/

Boomer.....
5/12/2009, 09:35 AM
So you're saying that you tweet.

olevetonahill
5/12/2009, 09:47 AM
I aint even got a ****ing clue as to what it is
Its Like spam texting or some **** maye ?

Crucifax Autumn
5/12/2009, 09:52 AM
Short attention span blogging.

stoops the eternal pimp
5/12/2009, 10:06 AM
you take a nipple and you squeeze it and twist it at the same time...tweet

BudSooner
5/12/2009, 10:26 AM
So you're saying that you tweak.Well thanks a ****ing lot, now everyone knows.:D:mad:

yermom
5/12/2009, 10:49 AM
So you're saying that you tweet.

i made an account to check it out, but i don't really post anything

boomersooner28
5/12/2009, 11:07 AM
I made an account like 8 months ago. Twitter was pretty new and hadn't caught on yet. Anyway, I thought it was ghey as hell. I don't really give a sh*t if you are getting a haircut or are out shopping at the mall. And I REALLY don't want you following my azz around. Twitter is tha STUPID.

Boomer.....
5/12/2009, 11:10 AM
Might as well be wearing a tracking device.

olevetonahill
5/12/2009, 11:15 AM
Does it work thru Yer PC? Yer Cellphone ?
what ?
edit
Wait , I dont care
hell I dont even know how to do that facebook or myspoace ****
so I dont really wanta know

bri
5/12/2009, 11:23 AM
Ah, I love irrational Twitter hatred. :D

KC//CRIMSON
5/12/2009, 11:26 AM

This coming from a guy with damn near 20,000 post on a message board. Homey, you're killing me.

picasso
5/12/2009, 11:48 AM
Well there's a difference for some. I don't see too many folks posting on here every 10 minutes what about what they are getting ready to do.

"Heading to the gym."

"Got back from the gym." "Boy I'm sore."

"Going bowling, will post pics from there with my effin phone." "yipee!"

;)

KC//CRIMSON
5/12/2009, 12:00 PM
I don't see too many folks posting on here every 10 minutes what about what they are getting ready to do.

Change that to twenty or thirty minutes and you've got half the posters on this board. See, message boards were Twitter when Twitter wasn't cool.

bri
5/12/2009, 12:17 PM
Well there's a difference for some. I don't see too many folks posting on here every 10 minutes what about what they are getting ready to do.

"Heading to the gym."

"Got back from the gym." "Boy I'm sore."

"Going bowling, will post pics from there with my effin phone." "yipee!"

;)

If the search feature worked, I could pull threads about all of these things. Twitter is just a message board on fast forward. Hell, there's even political arguments and all the other stupid BS. That's why the notion of any full-time South Oval poster calling Twitter stupid makes me giggle like a schoolgirl in a tickle factory.

picasso
5/12/2009, 12:56 PM
ok then. I'm going to paint and eat lunch in a min. I'll be sure and let you guys know that.

NYC Poke
5/12/2009, 12:58 PM
http://www.textsfromlastnight.com/

olevetonahill
5/12/2009, 01:03 PM
ok then. I'm going to paint and eat lunch in a min. I'll be sure and let you guys know that.

Im waitin On pins an needles :D

yermom
5/12/2009, 01:15 PM

be sure to let us know if you are on the terlit or not when you do :D

yankee
5/12/2009, 01:24 PM
coming from a college student FWIW.....i think twitter is rediculously stupid. there's no way in hell i want people knowing where i am at all times of the day. i bet you a major lawsuit is brought against twitter in the near future because someone was stalked/raped/murdered because someone was creeping...:rolleyes:

bri
5/12/2009, 01:26 PM
Ah, ignorance.

You can protect your updates. But anyone who's actually posting addresses and alarm codes (as they'd have to be in your scenario) probably deserves to die. It'll make the species stronger.

yankee
5/12/2009, 01:31 PM
Ah, ignorance.

You can protect your updates. But anyone who's actually posting addresses and alarm codes (as they'd have to be in your scenario) probably deserves to die. It'll make the species stronger.

there are people who i know that accept friends on facebook no matter what, even if they have no clue who they are. think the same thing happens on twitter? i bet...don't think it would be that hard for a determined stalker to track someone down.

KC//CRIMSON
5/12/2009, 01:40 PM
don't think it would be that hard for a determined stalker to track someone down.

I'm at Owen Field! Wearing Crimson! Come find me!

yankee
5/12/2009, 01:44 PM

section? seat?

;)

C&CDean
5/12/2009, 01:46 PM

Ah bull****. Dude, you ain't been to Owen Field in how long?

KC//CRIMSON
5/12/2009, 01:53 PM
Ah bull****. Dude, you ain't been to Owen Field in how long?

Too long...

C&CDean
5/12/2009, 02:04 PM
Too long...

You know we have a special section on the left side of our tailgates for you lefties. MDKlatt and you can discuss the horrors of global warming without interruption.:P

Sooner04
5/12/2009, 02:17 PM
I'm 26.
My generation is doing the tweeting.
I think it's ****ing retarded.
There are so many things more productive one could be doing.
Like masturbating.

NYC Poke
5/12/2009, 02:18 PM
You know we have a special section on the left side of our tailgates for you lefties. MDKlatt and you can discuss the horrors of global warming without interruption.:P

One of the primary effects of global warming that I see is that I seem to want more cold beer.

bri
5/12/2009, 02:22 PM
there are people who i know that accept friends on facebook no matter what, even if they have no clue who they are. think the same thing happens on twitter? i bet...don't think it would be that hard for a determined stalker to track someone down.

Those would be the idiots I'm talking about. We let them die, the human race becomes stronger, and the aliens don't invade because we're not as stupid.

OUAndy1807
5/12/2009, 02:50 PM
Twitter is the new OUStadiumPics.

If you happen to be following me.

bri
5/12/2009, 04:30 PM
This dude's tweeting from space. (http://twitter.com/Astro_Mike)

KC//CRIMSON
5/12/2009, 04:40 PM
This dude's tweeting from space. (http://twitter.com/Astro_Mike)

Meh! Back in my day we didn't have no Twitter or Spaceships. Why hell, we didn't have no rocks! We had to go down to the creek and wash our clothes by beating them with our heads!

C&CDean
5/12/2009, 04:49 PM
Meh! Back in my day we didn't have no Twitter or Spaceships. Why hell, we didn't have no rocks! We had to go down to the creek and wash our clothes by beating them with our heads!

**** yeah. Memories...

picasso
5/12/2009, 06:33 PM
I'm 26.
My generation is doing the tweeting.
I think it's ****ing retarded.
There are so many things more productive one could be doing.
Like masturbating.

hey, don't leave us old folks out!

SicEmBaylor
5/12/2009, 06:36 PM

What on Earth is so freaky about that? With social networks, you're making the choice of what information to disseminate publicly and to friends. There's a BIG difference between that and the government snooping around your private life without consent.

Good grief.

BudSooner
5/12/2009, 07:37 PM
"I just left a 2lb'r in the ****ter....and just let ya know on Twitter..HOW COOL!"

"I'm a level 54 on WoW"

"I just left the house,going for some Red Bull"

Ya know, that kind of meaningless drivel. Twitter is to message boards but dumbed down for those with short attentions.

Wait.......

Rogue
5/12/2009, 10:06 PM
Heh, I follow a few folks on there that I think are interesting.
It's also blackberry friendlier than message boards like this.

Rogue
5/12/2009, 10:07 PM

It was worth reading this thread to find that gift of a link from NYCP.
That is some mind numbingly good entertainment right there.

soonerboomer93
5/12/2009, 11:08 PM

can't fix stupid

bri
5/13/2009, 12:13 AM
http://www.penny-arcade.com/images/2008/20080423.jpg

Soonerus
5/13/2009, 12:15 AM
nice cheesy...

bri
5/13/2009, 01:37 AM
Who the f*ck asked you, stalker?

yankee
5/13/2009, 01:54 AM
can't fix stupid

no kidding...but there's plenty of stupid out there. it's bound to happen, that was my original point anyway.

OSUAggie
5/13/2009, 09:20 PM

Absolutely ****ing hilarious.

"(732): ok shes still asleep, should i pee on her and say she did it herself? and by the time you respond to this ill probably have already made the decision "

"(330): I don't know where I am but the food in the fridge is awesome."

"(321): Laying in bed naked with the guy I just ****ed, talking to his WIFE who's sitting across from us like we're having a ****ing tea party. This is interesting."

"(214): dude. I'm so drunk.
(972): pete, this is bryce's mom
(214): I can't wait to have my **** in your ***
(972): pete, this is still bryce's mom "

Penguin
5/14/2009, 11:42 AM
Absolutely ****ing hilarious.

"(732): ok shes still asleep, should i pee on her and say she did it herself? and by the time you respond to this ill probably have already made the decision "

"(330): I don't know where I am but the food in the fridge is awesome."

"(321): Laying in bed naked with the guy I just ****ed, talking to his WIFE who's sitting across from us like we're having a ****ing tea party. This is interesting."

"(214): dude. I'm so drunk.
(972): pete, this is bryce's mom
(214): I can't wait to have my **** in your ***
(972): pete, this is still bryce's mom "

(714): i have i love **** written on my hand and a vagina drawn on my arm and i just finished eating breakfast with the whole fam for mothers day
(619): ahah at least you got away with it
(714): nope...my gran was the one who informed me

Condescending Sooner
5/14/2009, 04:15 PM
Bri, how old are you, seriously.

Nevermind, looked it up. A little old to be all about the Twitter don't you think.

bri
5/14/2009, 07:38 PM
Aren't you a little old to not realize that you end a question with a question mark?

Veritas
5/15/2009, 08:09 AM
Facebook is people that I personally know updating on stuff I do not give a damn about.

Twitter is people that I do NOT personally know* updating on stuff I DO give a damn about.

Here's the deal folks, it's all about who you "follow." I have chosen to follow people who are in my industry (software) or in related circles.

For example, last night a guy who runs a software company here in Lincoln tweeted that a doctor of brain sciences was going to be giving a talk at a local bar about what they've been learning about the brain. I learned this at 4:30 and my wife and I attended at 6:30. It was AWESOME! Did you know that we've learned more about the brain in the last 10 years than in the last 100 due to advances in imaging tech? Did you know that the brain actually CAN regrow itself? I didn't and I still wouldn't if it wasn't for twitter.

Next week I'm having a phone conversation with an entrepreneur who wants me to do some development work for her company out in San Fran. She learned about me through Twitter (it's more complicated in that, but no Twitter, we never meet).

This afternoon I'm meeting with a developer I might do business with who I met at a conference that I learned about on Twitter.

I was hesitant about Twitter for the same reasons everyone is talking about here. I don't give a damn about your kids dirty diapers, your cold, or your lunch. What I DO give a damn about is what knowledge you have that I don't. And if you follow people on Twitter who disseminate that knowledge, it's better than having the Discovery/History channel direct piped into your brain.

Veritas
5/15/2009, 08:16 AM
I should also add that until I tried it and give it a week's chance, I thought Twitter was the second dumbest thing I'd ever heard of.

(The first dumbest is every MLM I've every been pitched)

olevetonahill
5/15/2009, 08:20 AM
I should also add that until I tried it and give it a week's chance, I thought Twitter was the second dumbest thing I'd ever heard of.

(The first dumbest is every MLM I've every been pitched)

You a prety smart feller so I guess Ill ask ya to ahead and tell me what it is ?
Cause I really aint got a clue :confused:

Veritas
5/15/2009, 09:01 AM
You a prety smart feller so I guess Ill ask ya to ahead and tell me what it is ?
Cause I really aint got a clue :confused:
It's simple, really, so simple it's just dumb sounding.
You have 140 characters to say something.
You can choose to "follow" people, and if you follow them, when they say something, it shows up in your feed at twitter.com

That's all it is. It's so simple that people (myself included) struggle to explain it, because the power of Twitter is in what the users have decided to do with it.

Even if you don't want an account, you should check out http://search.twitter.com. You don't have to be logged in, but you can quite literally see what people are talking about on a certain subject right now. So, for example, a very general subject with lots of activity:
Obama (http://search.twitter.com/search?q=%23obama)
Or a much more niche subject with a much better return on what Whisky lovers are talking about. Today it's Diageo (a big company that owns lots of distilleries) decision to ban SCOTCH from the SCOTLAND Folk Festival. ****in *******s:
Whisky (http://search.twitter.com/search?q=%23whisky)

This is cliche, but it's what you make of it. If you follow Ashton Kutcher or that twat Oprah, you're going to get a bunch of worthless sh!t. If you follow people with your same core interests, it'll be useful.

olevetonahill
5/15/2009, 09:36 AM
So do ya use yer cell phone a lap top ?
seems like If yer on the go yerself It would be a pain in the *** to try to keep up with
Course I dont even try to text on my phone :D

Rogue
5/17/2009, 07:36 PM
That's the beauty of limited media...it's just words and brief updates so it's mobile friendly.

bri
5/17/2009, 11:41 PM
Used Mayfest's Twitter feed to win VIP passes for a buddy last night. (I'd already won a pair earlier in the day, but there were three of us and only two passes. No child left behind and whatnot.)

Chuck Bao
5/18/2009, 02:41 PM
Thanks for the link to the search function on Twitter, Veritas. I am going to have to explore for what is useful.

Frankly, I’m baffled by it. I also feel that I better get my butt in gear and understand this new medium and the technology.

I’m head of research for Thailand’s largest brokerage firm and I thought I was doing a good job.

There is this OU grad that interviewed for a job with me last year and I didn’t hire him because he was over-qualified for the position that we were looking for. He is the one that I posted about last year and he yelled Sooner back at me when I first yelled Boomer at him in the interview.

Anyway, he was working for a rival broker and after the job decline he still kept secretly sending us a steady stream of a very simple spreadsheet of the performance of regional markets during the trading day. One of my analysts was sending it out in emails and the feedback from local fund managers was overwhelming positive.

I had no choice but to hire him earlier this year.

I don’t understand this. Fund managers have Bloomberg and Reuters and all sorts of news feeds, analysis and fancy charts at their desks. Apparently, something so easy as a carefully formatted table that fits on a Blackberry or some handheld device with a steady stream of updates is what fund managers want.

My whole department was born in the internet age and I guess I’m what would be considered the new old or old new school. Back in 2000, we had this idea that we would make our stock market comments accessible to anyone and everyone on the internet by formatting each report in HTML. Institutional fund managers never really bothered to click on our website to see what we were saying. They were so used to getting calls and emails.

Now, it is twitter or facebook that they like and they love our new service.

The sad part, in my opinion, is that stock market recommendations keep getting scaled down with each new progress in technology.

My new market strategist hired last year does facebook and she has been very successful. I still think it is pretty bizarre that some fund managers are on facebook asking her advice.

This flies in the face of our previous research philosophy of open access to all investors equally regardless of big or small investors through our website. But, then again all investors, I guess, should get those Blackberry contraptions or follow along on facebook or twitter. That also means that our website has already lost its edge and we are essentially hiring new people to do these new things and it is forerunning our website recommendations.

Veritas
5/18/2009, 04:35 PM
Great post Chuck, very interesting.

Fund managers have Bloomberg and Reuters and all sorts of news feeds, analysis and fancy charts at their desks. Apparently, something so easy as a carefully formatted table that fits on a Blackberry or some handheld device with a steady stream of updates is what fund managers want.

I've grown to believe that even for the most intelligent folks more than a few data points results in cognitive dissonance. The small screen width of a handheld forces us to cut out the bull**** data that doesn't matter and only keep the good stuff.

My business runs across this constantly. We do quite a bit of work with visual data representation, and the only people that want to deal with more than four to six charts or graphs on a given page are the quants. The rest of the people focus on a few key information panels and ignore everything else.

That also means that our website has already lost its edge and we are essentially hiring new people to do these new things and it is forerunning our website recommendations.

Yes, your site has lost its edge. Websites must be visited in order to disseminate information.

But here is the opportunity presented by Twitter and/FB: create a Twitter account and start following all of your fund managers or clients. Let your clients know that you're on Twitter and encourage them to follow you. Use your tweets to release relevant information to your clients along with some innocuous personal information. Link to key data on your sites and your clients will start checking things out.

And then listen to what they say in response, and respond to them. It's not going to take much time because you only have 140 characters and they only have 140 characters. It's the same principle as the handheld: the size limitation forces all the crap to the sides and only leaves what matters.