PDA

View Full Version : Joe Biden Personally Ended the Vietnam War, or Something

OklahomaTuba
5/11/2009, 01:12 PM
We sure dodged a bullet with that Palin chick!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaNabgi_IzM

Octavian
5/11/2009, 01:56 PM
well, this completely changes the historiography

we'll need a new book with a good subtitle

Super Joe: How a Freshman Senator Intimidated Henry Kissinger and Ended the Vietnam War

too long?

BudSooner
5/11/2009, 07:26 PM
WTF? Al Gore=Joe Biden??

soonerscuba
5/11/2009, 11:17 PM
WTF? Al Gore=Joe Biden??http://www.snopes.com/quotes/internet.asp

Octavian
5/12/2009, 02:41 AM
looked at it again -- and I badly short-changed the guy.

"I sat across from President Ford and Dr. Henry Kissinger, along with my colleagues on the Foreign Relations Committee, and demanded that the war end. And it did -- within a matter of weeks after that."

that first title wasn't appropriate enough for that sort of heroicism.

Super Joe: How a Freshman Senator Guided His Colleagues and Intimidated the Greatest American Geopolitical Mind of the Cold War Era and the Leader of the Free World into Ending the Vietnam War in a Matter of Weeks

yes, the subtitle is now longer -- but now it's more historically accurate.

http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/6107/joebidentalksfromneedle.jpg (http://img22.imageshack.us/my.php?image=joebidentalksfromneedle.jpg)

Octavian
5/12/2009, 02:47 AM
if someone could come up with a good book cover....there might be some major money in it for ya

'cause it's gonna be huge

BudSooner
5/12/2009, 06:59 AM
http://www.snopes.com/quotes/internet.asp
Dude....sarcasm. Perhaps I should have left the ;) in there at the end.

Besides, everyone knows who invented the internet.

It was Chuck Norris.

XingTheRubicon
5/12/2009, 09:02 AM
"During my time in the United States Congress, I took the initiative in creating the Internet."

-Albert Arnold Gore Jr.

*I know creating is not inventing. It's not like the first sentence of the Bible...in the beginning God invented the Heavens and the Earth.

OklahomaTuba
5/12/2009, 09:06 AM
Awesome!

Did I ever tell you about the time I stopped a tanker-truck full of JP-5 with my mind? I was out walking my dog one July, the cool evening breeze making soft wheezes in my hairplugs, when this semi came screaming down the asphalt, careening out of control along the interstate! It was about to slam straight into a school bus full of parapalegic grade-schoolers. I was on the other side of the freeway, and even though I won the 550' dash in college, I wasn't anywhere near warmed-up for that kind of sprint. So I did the only thing I knew to do...I furrowed my brow, placed my fingertips against my temples, closed my eyes, and thought real strong thoughts about that tanker truck stopping before it hit the school bus. I thought them hard, and then harder, until I realized that my lips were actually mumbling the words "shummalammaningamanamanmia..." The thick odor of rubber hung in the air, and I looked up to see that tanker truck had stopped, not five inches from broadsiding that school bus. Man, I couldn't believe it! I couldn't believe I'd done it! I made those wheels lock up with nothing but my mind!

Sure, everyone was proud of me, but really, I only did it for the kids. They came pouring out of that school bus, all giving me hugs, and high fives, and lifting me up on their shoulders.

That's when my dog looked up, after sniffing his own pile of fresh excrement, and suggested that I use my powers for good, and run for congress. "Run for Congress, Joe!" Ol' Roy said to me. "But not before you pick this pile of **** up, man. You might get a citation."

True story, folks. Seriously, I might've gotten a ticket, if I hadn't immediately hopped down off the shoulders of those parapalegic children and cleaned up Roy's mess. I didn't use my mind for that, though. I could've, but at the time I wasn't sure if I'd use up all the powers. I used a plastic bag from Brookshire's. Literally, it's still there, if you've ever been out to Barrelville.

Curb your dogs, folks.

soonerscuba
5/12/2009, 10:28 AM
"During my time in the United States Congress, I took the initiative in creating the Internet."

-Albert Arnold Gore Jr.

*I know creating is not inventing. It's not like the first sentence of the Bible...in the beginning God invented the Heavens and the Earth.Al Gore is singularly the most important crafter of public policy in relationship to networks in the history of the US. While you can not like his politics, you can think GW is a sham, and you can think he's a blowhard, it doesn't change the fact the legislative record speaks for itself. There wasn't a more important person in government to the widespread implementation of the internet, it's blind partisanship to suggest otherwise.

NormanPride
5/12/2009, 02:17 PM
But he didn't create it.

And he's a doof.

soonerscuba
5/12/2009, 02:42 PM
But he didn't create it.

And he's a doof.Jimmy Madison didn't invent legal writing, that don't mean he ain't the father of the Constitution.

OklahomaTuba
5/12/2009, 02:49 PM
There wasn't a more important person in government to the widespread implementation of the internet, it's blind partisanship to suggest otherwise.

William Shatner had more to do with "widespread implementation of the internets" than the goracle of doom ever had.

But let us now get back to recognizing the total awesomeness of brave brave Sir Biden.

StoopTroup
5/12/2009, 02:55 PM
To be real here...

Your in a position of power in the US Gov't....you have been approached by people who believe the internet is the future of the World. Legislation is needed to help pour Gov't money into a system that will provide folks a medium to later bash you over the public message boards of the internet....so....just to spice it up a bit....you tell em "you created the internet".

I think it's funny that folks are still after him about it.

I bet he laughs his *** off every time some nerd who thinks he knows everything starts spewing off about it.

XingTheRubicon
5/12/2009, 02:57 PM
I bet he eats 5 pies every time some nerd who thinks he knows everything starts spewing off about it.

FIFY

StoopTroup
5/12/2009, 03:00 PM
Mmmmmm....pie....:D

OklahomaTuba
5/12/2009, 03:03 PM
Think of all the earth killing carbon that has been created due to Gore's Internets?? Doesn't like one email have the same footprint of like a 100 year old coal plant in eastern poland???

That alone should make him responsible for the impending doom of the Planet Urf.

PLANET KILLER!!!!!!!!!!

StoopTroup
5/12/2009, 03:05 PM
Think of all the earth killing carbon that has been created due to Gore's Internets?? Doesn't like one email have the same footprint of like a 100 year old coal plant in eastern poland???

That alone should make him responsible for the impending doom of the Planet Urf.

PLANET KILLER!!!!!!!!!!

Your just avoiding all the inconvenient truths. :pop: :hot:

olevetonahill
5/12/2009, 10:10 PM
Wish he had ended it Sooner
the ****er:mad:

NormanPride
5/13/2009, 09:09 AM
Jimmy Madison didn't invent legal writing, that don't mean he ain't the father of the Constitution.

That is a horrible analogy, and you should feel bad for making it.

Al was a key member on a committee that managed to move the government out of the way of progress, and allowed the people who really created the glorious tubes of information we use today to work their magic. I'm not sure what legislation he helped write, but it wasn't the TCP/IP standard invented by Robert Kahn or the idea of the "Web" invented by Tim Berners-Lee. And unless he helped commission DARPA, then he really didn't have much say in the initiative to create the network either.

soonerscuba
5/13/2009, 09:36 AM
That is a horrible analogy, and you should feel bad for making it.

Al was a key member on a committee that managed to move the government out of the way of progress, and allowed the people who really created the glorious tubes of information we use today to work their magic. I'm not sure what legislation he helped write, but it wasn't the TCP/IP standard invented by Robert Kahn or the idea of the "Web" invented by Tim Berners-Lee. And unless he helped commission DARPA, then he really didn't have much say in the initiative to create the network either.I think you might be confused as to Gore's role in the Senate. He sat on Gov. Affairs, Rules & Regs, and Armed Services, he wrote S.272 (http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d102:SN00272:@@@L&summ2=m&#committees) (the infamous "invented the internet bill) which created the Mosaic browser and a fiber-optic network. It would be easy for him to get out of the way of the committee considering it went through Commerce, which he didn't even sit on, let alone chair.

I don't think that I have ever said that Al Gore wrote code or provided intellectual capital to the internet, but he did spearhead funding, which gets him at minimum, some recongition for being forward thinking enough to start pushing for citizen networking as member of the House as early as the 70s.

Vaevictis
5/13/2009, 10:11 AM
Re: Gore and the Internet:

Dave and Declan,

I am taking the liberty of sending to you both a brief summary of Al
Gore's Internet involvement, prepared by Bob Kahn and me (Vaevictis insertion: Vint Cerf). As you know,
there have been a seemingly unending series of jokes chiding the vice
president for his assertion that he "took the initiative in creating the
Internet."

Bob and I believe that the vice president deserves significant credit for
his early recognition of the importance of what has become the Internet.

I thought you might find this short summary of sufficient interest to
share it with Politech and the IP lists, respectively.

================================================== ============

Al Gore and the Internet

By Robert Kahn and Vinton Cerf

Al Gore was the first political leader to recognize the importance of the
Internet and to promote and support its development.

No one person or even small group of persons exclusively "invented" the
Internet. It is the result of many years of ongoing collaboration among
people in government and the university community. But as the two people
who designed the basic architecture and the core protocols that make the
Internet work, we would like to acknowledge VP Gore's contributions as a
Congressman, Senator and as Vice President. No other elected official, to
our knowledge, has made a greater contribution over a longer period of
time.

Last year the Vice President made a straightforward statement on his role.
He said: "During my service in the United States Congress I took the
initiative in creating the Internet." We don't think, as some people have
argued, that Gore intended to claim he "invented" the Internet. Moreover,
there is no question in our minds that while serving as Senator, Gore's
initiatives had a significant and beneficial effect on the still-evolving
Internet. The fact of the matter is that Gore was talking about and
promoting the Internet long before most people were listening. We feel it
is timely to offer our perspective.

As far back as the 1970s Congressman Gore promoted the idea of high speed
telecommunications as an engine for both economic growth and the
improvement of our educational system. He was the first elected official
to grasp the potential of computer communications to have a broader impact
than just improving the conduct of science and scholarship. Though easily
forgotten, now, at the time this was an unproven and controversial
concept. Our work on the Internet started in 1973 and was based on even
earlier work that took place in the mid-late 1960s. But the Internet, as
we know it today, was not deployed until 1983. When the Internet was still
in the early stages of its deployment, Congressman Gore provided
intellectual leadership by helping create the vision of the potential
benefits of high speed computing and communication. As an example, he
sponsored hearings on how advanced technologies might be put to use in
areas like coordinating the response of government agencies to natural
disasters and other crises.

As a Senator in the 1980s Gore urged government agencies to consolidate
what at the time were several dozen different and unconnected networks
into an "Interagency Network." Working in a bi-partisan manner with
officials in Ronald Reagan and George Bush's administrations, Gore secured
the passage of the High Performance Computing and Communications Act in
1991. This "Gore Act" supported the National Research and Education
Network (NREN) initiative that became one of the major vehicles for the
spread of the Internet beyond the field of computer science.

As Vice President Gore promoted building the Internet both up and out, as
well as releasing the Internet from the control of the government agencies
that spawned it. He served as the major administration proponent for
continued investment in advanced computing and networking and private
sector initiatives such as Net Day. He was and is a strong proponent of
extending access to the network to schools and libraries. Today,
approximately 95% of our nation's schools are on the Internet. Gore
provided much-needed political support for the speedy privatization of the
Internet when the time arrived for it to become a commercially-driven
operation.

There are many factors that have contributed to the Internet's rapid
growth since the later 1980s, not the least of which has been political
support for its privatization and continued support for research in
advanced networking technology. No one in public life has been more
intellectually engaged in helping to create the climate for a thriving
Internet than the Vice President. Gore has been a clear champion of this
effort, both in the councils of government and with the public at large.

The Vice President deserves credit for his early recognition of the value
of high speed computing and communication and for his long-term and
consistent articulation of the potential value of the Internet to American
citizens and industry and, indeed, to the rest of the world.

Version 1.2
Word count: 709

================================================== ===============

WorldCom
22001 Loudoun County Parkway
Building F2, Room 4115, ATTN: Vint Cerf
Ashburn, VA 20147
Telephone (703) 886-1690
FAX (703) 886-0047

Vaevictis
5/13/2009, 10:14 AM
Basically, Gore provided political support on the Hill for both funding of information networks, and the creation of the "inter" part of the internet. Before the "internet", there were a bunch of separate networks each doing their own thing.

The internet would not have formed as we know it without this political support. The protocols themselves are not particularly important; it's the notion of a bunch of autonomous entities getting together to form a single larger network from their smaller ones that mattered.

NormanPride
5/13/2009, 12:39 PM
Fair enough. I will give him credit for his vision, and I hadn't realized he was working at it so far back.

StoopTroup
5/13/2009, 01:31 PM
Wonder if South park meant this guy to be Al Gore?

Poo scene may not be SFW

N9PDMGI43cs&feature=related

Veritas
5/14/2009, 05:56 PM
Al Gore is singularly the most important crafter of public policy in relationship to networks in the history of the US. While you can not like his politics, you can think GW is a sham, and you can think he's a blowhard, it doesn't change the fact the legislative record speaks for itself. There wasn't a more important person in government to the widespread implementation of the internet, it's blind partisanship to suggest otherwise.
Wanda Sykes should look out, because that's some funny **** right there.

soonerscuba
5/14/2009, 07:58 PM
Wanda Sykes should look out, because that's some funny **** right there.Why?

Veritas
5/15/2009, 07:56 AM
Why?
Oh, I don't know, I just wanted to make a Wanda Sykes tie in. Didn't really bring my A game with that one. :D