PDA

View Full Version : Cool Rumor

DoubleDown
5/10/2009, 01:15 PM
As the title stated, this is only a rumor (right now):

I have a friend who knows the Griffin family quite well. Anyway, he just told me Coach Stoops has asked Taylor to walk-on and play tight end. Supposedly, Taylor is gonna do it. I think this is a lot like the situation involving the Duke player (whose name escapes me) and Taylor would have a year of eligibility.

We'll see if it's real or not over the next few days, I'm sure.

nighttrain12
5/10/2009, 01:19 PM
Could you explain how Taylor Griffin has used up his basketball eligibility but could still play football one season at OU?

hgarmorer
5/10/2009, 01:29 PM
Could you explain how Taylor Griffin has used up his basketball eligibility but could still play football one season at OU?

That's why he said it's a rumor

DoubleDown
5/10/2009, 01:39 PM
That's why he said it's a rumor

Thanks. I was starting to worry that I didn't emphasize the fact that this is just a rumor.

I looked up the stories on the Duke PG (Paulus) and apparently he only qualified for the extra year of eligibility because he transfered from Duke. So yeah, this may turn into nothing but I'll be interested in hearing if there is any truth to this (Maybe Coach Stoops and TG talked but the NCAA said "No way"). I called my friend and he says his son told him about it after hearing it from a guy who is very close to both Taylor and Blake. My friend knows Tommie quite well, but hasn't talked to him in a few weeks.

jumperstop
5/10/2009, 01:55 PM
I mean he's real athletic, but when was the last time he played football, if he ever has?

OU_Sooners75
5/10/2009, 01:55 PM

Could you explain to me where Greg Paulus (sp?), the duke BBall player he mentioned, has used up all his eligibility in basketball yet still be able to play one year of football?

;)

I think it has something to do with being 2 different sports and the fact that you have 10 semesters from the date that you enroll into a NCAA school that allows you to compete in as many sports as you wish.

Not sure or not, but if Taylor Griffin did not redshirt, he would still have one year of eligibility for another sport.

Curly Bill
5/10/2009, 02:19 PM
Rumor or not, if we don't have TE's already better than someone that hasn't played football since....whenever, we are in sad shape.

...obviously Greasham would be better, but I would be referring to those guys behind him.

Collier11
5/10/2009, 02:25 PM
did he even play football in HS? I dont think so, this doesnt make much sense with him trying to play pro bball

sooner518
5/10/2009, 02:41 PM
Paulus could still play QB at Duke. I remember hearing that the Duke football coach wanted him to and since he never redshirted, he could play one year of football.

JLEW1818
5/10/2009, 02:43 PM
Maybe we are trying the Tebow basketball shot. So maybe Taylor will do what tebow does and jump up and shoot it to a player for a td ........

hehe

SoonerInFortSmith
5/10/2009, 03:09 PM
I don't care if he's any good. He's a Griffin. I would be happy to see him on the sidelines in a football uni.

Collier11
5/10/2009, 03:10 PM
The coach at Duke told Paulas that he wouldnt get any playing time since they already have a starter who is actually pretty decent, that is why Paulas is transferring

Frozen Sooner
5/10/2009, 03:17 PM
You have five years from the time you step on campus to play four seasons in any sport.

Taylor Griffin first stepped on campus in Fall 2005. He played basketball in the 2005, 2006, 2007, and 2008 seasons. He still has one year to participate in any other sport.

StoopTroup
5/10/2009, 03:30 PM
You have five years from the time you step on campus to play four seasons in any sport.

Not true.

The NCAA can grant you any extra year of eligibility based on a really cool rumor.

soonerfan28
5/10/2009, 04:36 PM
Greg Paulus was told that he could walk-on to the Duke football team and try out for WR. Taylor might be looking to make his money in a sport other then football (Antonio Gates). Taylor is athletically gifted and regardless of whether or not he played HS football he could learn enough to maybe get a chance at the NFL.

pappy
5/10/2009, 04:54 PM
if nothing else he'd be another big redzone threat to throw the ball to.

bluedogok
5/10/2009, 06:09 PM
If drafted by the NFL he wouldn't be the first athlete in another sport with limited football experience taken.

OU-HSV
5/10/2009, 06:44 PM
The coach at Duke told Paulas that he wouldnt get any playing time since they already have a starter who is actually pretty decent, that is why Paulas is transferring

Exactly.

So I'm sure this Taylor Griffin thing could happen....but I would think that it's highly unlikely that he would see much PT with Gresham, Eldridge, Hanna, Mensik, and a few others that are already on the roster.

I'd also venture to say it's highly unlikely that it will happen anyways. I'm sure BBall is his main love and he'll be trying to do whatever he can to play some level of Pro or Semi Pro BBall. Just my thoughts though

soonerfan28
5/10/2009, 06:47 PM
I think he's got a better shot at TE in the NFL then a forward in the NBA. I don't know what Antonio Gates situation was in HS, but he played basketball at Kent St, of all places and I think Taylor is a better athlete then what Gates is.

tommieharris91
5/10/2009, 07:01 PM
I think he would try this just to see if he has a career as a football player. He's definitely not going to beat out a healthy Jermaine Gresham. If he can do something like block well or run routes and catch well then he might have a chance as a pro football player. He's definitely not a bad athlete.

bent rider
5/10/2009, 07:03 PM
Exactly.

So I'm sure this Taylor Griffin thing could happen....but I would think that it's highly unlikely that he would see much PT with Gresham, Eldridge, Hanna, Mensik, and a few others that are already on the roster.

Yeah, its not like the Sooners are really hurtin' at TE.

It would give the TeeVee talkin' heads something to yap about after the Sooners have put up a half-a-hunnerd on an opponent. Oh, what a story, this young man...

OU-HSV
5/10/2009, 07:19 PM
Well I was just talking to a buddy of mine who knows basketball a lot better than I do...he thinks Taylor may even get drafted by the NBA.

And as far as blocking...there's no way in hell that Taylor Griffin could block better than Brody Eldridge...and I doubt Taylor could out catch Gresham. We all know Gresham is a freak of nature. And supposedly all of our young tight ends are great players. I don't know, the more I think about this rumor....the more I think that's absolutely all it is...a rumor

Jboozer
5/10/2009, 08:11 PM
As a graduate student, You are eligible to play one season in another sport with eligibility. Blake has used up his basketball eligibility, but theoretically still has 1 yr for another sport.

Sooner_75
5/10/2009, 08:46 PM
there was a receiver from Mizzou a few years ago (Gage I think) that played b-ball at Mizzou played one year of football and was drafted highly. Think he still plays for the Jets.

OU_Sooners75
5/10/2009, 09:05 PM

Looky here. I have a copy cat (the name). :D

Crucifax Autumn
5/10/2009, 09:12 PM
I heard a rumor that Morgan Freeman was gonna play cnter this year.

Collier11
5/10/2009, 09:13 PM
there was a receiver from Mizzou a few years ago (Gage I think) that played b-ball at Mizzou played one year of football and was drafted highly. Think he still plays for the Jets.

he played football his whole career and set lots of mizzou records, he only played bball a few years. You have it backwards

nighttrain12
5/10/2009, 09:13 PM
As a graduate student, You are eligible to play one season in another sport with eligibility. Blake has used up his basketball eligibility, but theoretically still has 1 yr for another sport.

Thanks for the explanation. To the other post, I don't see any chance in the world Taylor gets drafted by an NBA team or even an undrafted player tryout.

Collier11
5/10/2009, 09:58 PM
Taylor is a great athlete, in the NBA you dont have to be a great basketball player anymore, just a great athlete, he will have a shot

goingoneight
5/10/2009, 11:17 PM
I heard a rumor that Morgan Freeman was gonna play cnter this year.

Bucket List:
1. Suit up for the Sooners.
2. Die.

picasso
5/10/2009, 11:22 PM
I used up 5 years of intramural ball. Can I still play?

goingoneight
5/10/2009, 11:25 PM
I'm 6'1 and 195 lbs... kin i play fbal? I hear we need halp at WR.

WA. Sooner
5/11/2009, 12:25 AM
Come back at the age of 26 ala Wienkie

RedstickSooner
5/11/2009, 12:57 AM
So, a kid that may have one season of eligibility left, who hasn't played football in years (and we don't seem to know when or if he last played, nor how good he might have been), might possibly be considering playing football for us as a walk-on, which'd put him down the depth chart no matter how good he was... Have I covered it?

All this being the case, we've got a guy of unknown aptitude trying to contribute to a position with proven talent already starting, and who won't have any time to learn and grow into the position -- he'd have to just start out, right out of the gates, great, to have any realistic chance of playing... Plus, it's just a rumor anyhow, so we can't even be sure he's interested...

Fellow Sooners, I must say: *This* is what happens when the evil NCAA & other scheming ne'erdowells refuse to extend the football season by three or four months.

The offseason does cruel things to us. Cruel, cruel things.

Crucifax Autumn
5/11/2009, 01:04 AM
Maybe he just figures it's a chance to beef up lifting weights and all that!

If he gets big enough he can then go into the NBA and be one of the Lakers' attack dogs.

badger
5/11/2009, 08:26 AM
Wow... seriously, you guys?

Gawwwww... well, if we're talking purely hypothetical that this is actually gonna happen while the reality is I don't believe this for one second but I'm gonna pretend this is a legit rumor and not just a "cool" one...

Taylor has a career ahead of him as a doctor, not an athlete. I'm sure the competitor in him would love to give football a shot (I mean, who out of all you Sooner loving fans WOULDN'T want to give the OU football team a try?), but it's just not for Taylor.

For Greg Paulus, who has no career ahead of him academically or athletically, he should stay at Duke and be used by the athletic department like the tool that he is to get their rabid basketball fans to pay attention to football (I'm surprised the coach didn't see this potential and offer him the chance at whatever position he wants to try). Wide receiver? You got it! Slap the turf like it's a basketball court like you did on defense... you know, back when you actually had playing time ;)

SoonerInFortSmith
5/11/2009, 08:30 AM
I'd love to see him go up for a jump ball in the corner of the endzone against a 5'10" db.

badger
5/11/2009, 08:37 AM
Aren't goalposts about 10 feet off the ground?

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/035K4K7fybamj/340x.jpg

Next time someone tries a 50-60 yarder, just have Taylor stand down low in "the post" (hahahahahaha - field goal post... oh wow, that's awful) so he can slap any weak kick sh!t outta there :)

Or... would that be field goal tending? Are you allowed to block field goals both on the upward ball motion (near the line of scrimmage) and on the down arch?

Awww crap... this thread... holy cow... it's Monday morning. It's too early for bad puns

soonerfan28
5/11/2009, 08:41 AM

Taylor

OUmillenium
5/11/2009, 09:27 AM
I'm 36, if I were a grad student would I get a year to play?

stoops the eternal pimp
5/11/2009, 09:32 AM
i love this thread

CobraKai
5/11/2009, 09:58 AM
Thanks for the explanation. To the other post, I don't see any chance in the world Taylor gets drafted by an NBA team or even an undrafted player tryout.

Taylor was invited to the basketball equivalent of the combine, along with about 60 players, so there is absolutely a possibility he gets drafted. Getting an invite does not mean he will get drafted, but it does mean that the NBA feels he has a good enough shot to warrant an invite. Who would have EVER thought that Stevie Graham would play in the NBA? Did he ever start at OSU?

soonerfan28
5/11/2009, 10:03 AM
Taylor was invited to the basketball equivalent of the combine, along with about 60 players, so there is absolutely a possibility he gets drafted. Getting an invite does not mean he will get drafted, but it does mean that the NBA feels he has a good enough shot to warrant an invite. Who would have EVER thought that Stevie Graham would play in the NBA? Did he ever start at OSU?

I understand what you're saying, but with his athletisism he has a better shot at being an All Pro at TE in the NFL then being a starter in the NBA.

badger
5/11/2009, 10:10 AM
Taylor's game might be suited more for arena ball, where rebounding is heavily emphasized :D

Collier11
5/11/2009, 10:11 AM
I understand what you're saying, but with his athletisism he has a better shot at being an All Pro at TE in the NFL then being a starter in the NBA.

come on now, the guy didnt even play HS football as far as I know

soonerfan28
5/11/2009, 11:06 AM
I'm just saying that he has a better shot at the NFL.

Collier11
5/11/2009, 11:10 AM
this thread really does need to end

TheUnnamedSooner
5/11/2009, 01:18 PM
this thread really does need to end

Nevar!

stoops the eternal pimp
5/11/2009, 01:21 PM
word has it that Courtney Paris is gonna join the football team

KC//CRIMSON
5/11/2009, 01:29 PM
word has it that Courtney Paris is gonna join the football team

She should try out for DT.

badger
5/11/2009, 01:34 PM
CP3 could stand between the line and the QB waiting to "rebound" the ball. Of course, the ball always goes right where CP3 will stand, so she will get many rebounds... whether or not she gets enough to points to average double doubles is yet to be seen... maybe she can get double doubles in rebounds and assists?

Collier11
5/11/2009, 01:38 PM
the ball goes right where she stands cus typicall bricked layups come right back in your general direction

snp
5/11/2009, 01:46 PM

Nope, your eligibility clock starts soon as you set foot on campus. Being pregnant, military service, or religious missions are legitimate excuses to postpone this clock from expiring.

badger
5/11/2009, 01:51 PM
the ball goes right where she stands cus typicall bricked layups come right back in your general direction

think of how many "bricked" snaps there are - they would all go to CP3 :)

Scott D
5/11/2009, 02:21 PM
Taylor's game might be suited more for arena ball, where rebounding is heavily emphasized :D

best post in the thread.

stoops the eternal pimp
5/11/2009, 02:31 PM
best post in the thread.

thats a prestigious award in this thread..

badger
5/11/2009, 02:33 PM
thats a prestigious award in this thread..

I was being serious though :(

You know, with those big nets that surround the goalpost uprights? It doesn't get much closer to rebounding than that when players gotta catch the ball off the net!

Right? ...RIGHT?!

:mad: DIE, thread.

stoops the eternal pimp
5/11/2009, 02:52 PM
word on the street is that horace and harvey grant are the same person

OU_Sooners75
5/11/2009, 03:53 PM

It is not age based. If so, Chris Weinke would never had the opportunity.

If you have not attended a NCAA School, or play athletics, yes you could still play. Hell, if you have not attended school...you still have 10 semesters left. :D

yankee
5/12/2009, 01:31 AM
I think he's got a better shot at TE in the NFL then a forward in the NBA. I don't know what Antonio Gates situation was in HS, but he played basketball at Kent St, of all places and I think Taylor is a better athlete then what Gates is.

he has a better shot at TE in the nfl than playing in the nba....but taylor is one smart dude, i'm pretty sure he's trying to be a doctor.

and gates was a much better basketball player than taylor...not taking anything away from taylor but gates was an absolute freak.

SoonerInFortSmith
5/12/2009, 08:38 AM
In his college career Gates averaged 16.5 pts and 7.8 rebounds. 20.6 and 7.7 his senior year. Better than Taylor? Yes. Freakish? Eh. Not to mention Gates played for E. Michigan and Kent St. against a decidedly lower level of competition.

soonerfan28
5/12/2009, 08:46 AM
Taylor is an athletic freak himself and he will train like crazy to be good at whatever he does. He's certainly big enough to play TE.

http://www.thelostogle.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/taylor-griffin.jpg

Collier11
5/12/2009, 10:12 AM
ghey!

stoops the eternal pimp
5/12/2009, 10:14 AM
The Griffin brothers should be more selective in their photo opportunities

badger
5/12/2009, 10:17 AM
ghey!

On the contrary... HOT! :D

Crucifax Autumn
5/12/2009, 10:20 AM
On the contrary... HOT if your ghey! :D

Fixed

badger
5/12/2009, 10:33 AM
Fixed

Dude! NOT ghey! HOT! NOT ghey! NOT!!!!!

NOT... TTAWWT, of course, but come on - I would absolutely LOVE it if more half nekkid OU basketball or football player pictures could be posted here.

Remember the AD cover when they declared him "Next?" I sure do! :D

http://ladiesdotdotdot.files.wordpress.com/2007/10/ap_1.jpg

Think Sam Bradford could do a similar cover? :hot:

Crucifax Autumn
5/12/2009, 10:37 AM
Okay, let's make a deal. We'll both lobby admin to allow topless pics...without sexual discrimination!

hgarmorer
5/12/2009, 10:39 AM
Okay, let's make a deal. We'll both lobby admin to allow topless pics...without sexual discrimination!
HERE HERE, I think this could catch on

goingoneight
5/12/2009, 12:06 PM
You think the womens' sports will agree to that? :D

badger
5/12/2009, 12:17 PM
You think the womens' sports will agree to that? :D

Hey now - "topless" can mean "shirtless" and "shirtless" women athletes mean sports bras... so there you go - perfectly acceptable again!

I don't care, so long as I get my studly Sam cover shot soon!

yankee
5/12/2009, 12:19 PM
In his college career Gates averaged 16.5 pts and 7.8 rebounds. 20.6 and 7.7 his senior year. Better than Taylor? Yes. Freakish? Eh. Not to mention Gates played for E. Michigan and Kent St. against a decidedly lower level of competition.

one can look at it that way...but gates also was surrounded by less talent. i can guarantee he didn't have 2 mcdonald's all-americans on his team. :)

either way, this is a moot point. chances are, we probably won't see taylor in an nfl uni or an nba uni. but that would be pretty awesome if we did..

badger
5/12/2009, 12:24 PM
:( well, the topic was fun for a few posts before reverting :(

soonerfan28
5/12/2009, 12:28 PM
ghey!

Thanks. It only took someone an hour and a half to call it "ghey".

Collier11
5/12/2009, 12:29 PM
I was late for work ;)

soonerfan28
5/12/2009, 12:36 PM
Dude! NOT ghey! HOT! NOT ghey! NOT!!!!!

NOT... TTAWWT, of course, but come on - I would absolutely LOVE it if more half nekkid OU basketball or football player pictures could be posted here.

Remember the AD cover when they declared him "Next?" I sure do! :D

http://ladiesdotdotdot.files.wordpress.com/2007/10/ap_1.jpg

Think Sam Bradford could do a similar cover? :hot:

My wife likes this one.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_X_d6JjJ00I4/SMZ0O-KLm8I/AAAAAAAAPcQ/JmGrhC5IwLs/s400/adrian+peterson+shirtless.jpg

Collier11
5/12/2009, 12:42 PM
are you sure its your wife that likes all of these pics

Collier11
5/12/2009, 12:42 PM
;)

Scott D
5/12/2009, 04:13 PM
are you sure its your wife that likes all of these pics

I know I certainly was beginning to wonder why 28 was googling topless pics of guys. ;)

soonerfan28
5/12/2009, 07:04 PM
I'm confident in my sexuality and I only google them in my free time.;)

MojoRisen
5/12/2009, 07:24 PM
I mean he's real athletic, but when was the last time he played football, if he ever has?

He is 6-7 and can jump out of the gym - He also looks like he can throw up 350 or more on the bench.

He could be a reciever threat for us for sure, blocking and all that could be a learning curve. Antonio Gates did it Taylor maybe could - he has great hands.

I would be excited to see that happen...

Collier11
5/12/2009, 07:53 PM
I'm confident in my sexuality and I only google them in my ME time.;)

:D :eek: :D

badger
5/13/2009, 08:33 AM
My wife likes this one.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_X_d6JjJ00I4/SMZ0O-KLm8I/AAAAAAAAPcQ/JmGrhC5IwLs/s400/adrian+peterson+shirtless.jpg

there was some shot of him wearing his vikings helmet but no jersey like that shot - i photoshopped out the viking logo on the helmet and made it my avvie for a few months...

:P posters who still didn't get the memo warned me that having such an avatar might imply certain things.

RedstickSooner
5/13/2009, 08:33 AM
I'm confident in my sexuality and I only google them with my free hand.;)

Sorry, 28 -- it was too easy a target :)

CobraKai
5/13/2009, 12:27 PM
This is from Chad Ford's (ESPN) Pre-Draft Camp Notes:

• Of the three, Blake's brother Taylor appears to be the biggest sleeper. He has been living in Blake's shadow the last two seasons at Oklahoma, but after his workout, I wondered why we hadn't been watching him more carefully.

He has some of the same strengths as his brother -- he's tough, physical, an excellent athlete and a very hard worker. He also showed off an impressive jumper in the workout with legit NBA 3-point range.

More than that, he does the kinds of things that might help a team win -- he could be an intangibles guy in the mold of Shane Battier. I could see him making the league as a defensive stopper at the 3 who can also provide some offense in spot-up situations.

Link: http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2009/columns/story?columnist=ford_chad&page=PreDraftTour-090513

As absurd as Taylor playing in the NBA sounds to some OU fans, it is a very real possibility. In fact, save Blake Griffin, Taylor may be one of the closest things to an NBA prospect to come out of OU in a while.

soonerfan28
5/13/2009, 12:33 PM
I don't think it is absurd. I think it just has to do with the fact that I don't think many people believe he is a legit 6'7 and if he does have the range that Chad Forde says that he has shown then that is further proof that he works insanely hard to get good at what he does. I know that being 6'7 may not be as important as many people think it is because Rodman was a freakishly great rebounder at 6'6 and Taylor could be a great role player in the NBA just like Rodman.

Collier11
5/13/2009, 12:39 PM
Ive stood next to Taylor, he appears to me to be a legit 6'7''

Scott D
5/13/2009, 12:50 PM
I'd like to see Taylor get a shot.

badger
5/13/2009, 12:51 PM
As absurd as Taylor playing in the NBA sounds to some OU fans, it is a very real possibility. In fact, save Blake Griffin, Taylor may be one of the closest things to an NBA prospect to come out of OU in a while.

Before somebody plays the "Football Board!" card, I could see the team that drafts Blake also drafting his brother... OKC Thunder, anyone? This definitely would answer the question "What would be sweeter than OKC winning the draft lottery so they can draft Blake?"

I can't think of a better way to spend a late second round pick - Blake seems to love playing with his older brother. I'm not sure how Taylor feels about that, but Blake seems to love it.

soonerfan28
5/13/2009, 02:38 PM
Badger, I agree that it would be nice to see OKC get both guys and I know that it may be a longshot for OKC to get the #1 pick but it happened for Chicago last year so who knows. I also think that if he is displaying the kind of range that Chad Forde says he is on a consistent basis then I think he'll have a shot in the NBA.

Sooner04
5/13/2009, 02:52 PM
Taylor Griffin, TODAY, has a more polished offensive game than Dwight Howard.

soonerfan28
5/13/2009, 02:56 PM
Taylor's only problem was that he was no tall enough to play inside and didn't have the range to play outside. If he has the range from the NBA 3 then I think he could actually get drafted.

Sooner04
5/13/2009, 03:05 PM
The Skull will be in here at any moment to blow this theory halfway to Neptune, but here's my take.

The NBA is a weird league. They'll pass on guys who know how to "play" to draft guys with measureables. That's why they'll pay guys like Yao Ming hundreds of millions of dollars to pull down nine rebounds a game. You're 7'6''! You should be able to pull down nine rebounds in a half.

They'll throw gobs of money at Hasheem Thabeet next year even though his offensive game is about as solid as smegma. He's soft, he's uncoordinated, but he's 7'3'' and he's shown the ability to block a six-footer's shot. Big friggin' whoop.

What Taylor lacks in height (he's only 6'7'') he makes up for in explosive athletic ability. He can jump out of the gym, run like a cheetah and has a motor that simply doesn't quit. The NBA has a place for guys like that. He's got a good stroke and is competent at the free throw line. If he goes and works out for some GM and dazzles them I can see him getting a legitimate shot.

But, then again, Aaron McGhee was as good as anybody in 2002. He had range, he could rebound, and he shot about 80% from the free throw line. Then he went out and dominated at the Portsmouth Camp.

And then he was never heard from again.

You just never know.

But they'll keep throwing money at Jim McIlvane and Jerome James, and I'll continue to die a little bit on the inside every time they do.

Collier11
5/13/2009, 03:26 PM
You are exactly correct, Taylor will have a serious shot because of those things. How else can you explain that Hollis Price never touched a court in the NBA but Jacque Vaughn played over a decade

Sooner04
5/13/2009, 03:34 PM
You are exactly correct, Taylor will have a serious shot because of those things. How else can you explain that Hollis Price never touched a court in the NBA but Jacque Vaughn played over a decade
Unfortunately, that one's easy. Hollis was a poor dribbler coming out of college. Yes, he could shoot, but he was about 6'0'' so he was going to have trouble getting that shot off on the NBA level. He had a lot of trouble creating his own shot.

Now I'll go to my grave saying Jacque Vaughn is one of the most overrated players to ever walk the Earth, but competent point guard play is hard to come by these days. Lots of teams lack point guards (like OU), but Vaughn could play the position and play it well for a few minutes a game. In the NBA, that's like the golden goose.

He was not Earl Monroe as that idiot Vitale would have you believe, but he was competent. As a back-up, that's all you can ask for. Can you come off the bench and not **** the bed? Vaughn could, and that's why he's been cashing checks for ten years in the league.

Collier11
5/13/2009, 03:37 PM
Unfortunately, that one's easy. Hollis was a poor dribbler coming out of college. Yes, he could shoot, but he was about 6'0'' so he was going to have trouble getting that shot off on the NBA level. He had a lot of trouble creating his own shot.

He had a really fast shot though, hell look at JJ Redick, the guys is an average dribbler and a bad defender at best and he was a 1st rd pick cus he could shoot lights out.

Now I'll go to my grave saying Jacque Vaughn is one of the most overrated players to ever walk the Earth, but competent point guard play is hard to come by these days. Lots of teams lack point guards (like OU), but Vaughn could play the position and play it well for a few minutes a game. In the NBA, that's like the golden goose.

He was not Earl Monroe as that idiot Vitale would have you believe, but he was competent. As a back-up, that's all you can ask for. Can you come off the bench and not **** the bed? Vaughn could, and that's why he's been cashing checks for ten years in the league.

I think I could find a more qualified backup than one that could just "not sh*t the bed" when he came in the game, ya know

stoops the eternal pimp
5/13/2009, 03:38 PM
The Skull will be in here at any moment to blow this theory halfway to Neptune, but here's my take.

The NBA is a weird league. They'll pass on guys who know how to "play" to draft guys with measureables. That's why they'll pay guys like Yao Ming hundreds of millions of dollars to pull down nine rebounds a game. You're 7'6''! You should be able to pull down nine rebounds in a half.

They'll throw gobs of money at Hasheem Thabeet next year even though his offensive game is about as solid as smegma. He's soft, he's uncoordinated, but he's 7'3'' and he's shown the ability to block a six-footer's shot. Big friggin' whoop.

What Taylor lacks in height (he's only 6'7'') he makes up for in explosive athletic ability. He can jump out of the gym, run like a cheetah and has a motor that simply doesn't quit. The NBA has a place for guys like that. He's got a good stroke and is competent at the free throw line. If he goes and works out for some GM and dazzles them I can see him getting a legitimate shot.

But, then again, Aaron McGhee was as good as anybody in 2002. He had range, he could rebound, and he shot about 80% from the free throw line. Then he went out and dominated at the Portsmouth Camp.

You just never know.

But they'll keep throwing money at Jim McIlvane and Jerome James, and I'll continue to die a little bit on the inside every time they do.

case in point...Greg Oden

badger
5/13/2009, 03:48 PM
The Hollis situation is sad, given what happened after he left OU, both personal and professional :( My guess is that it would have been easier to endure (or in the case of his professional career, would not have happened at all) had he been in the NBA.

Collier11
5/13/2009, 03:53 PM
he made some pretty nice cash overseas...is he sitll playing?

tommieharris91
5/13/2009, 04:32 PM
I think I could find a more qualified backup than one that could just "not sh*t the bed" when he came in the game, ya know

Redick started last night. :eek: I know the Magic were missing both Alston and Nelson, which is probably the only way he was ever going to start an NBA playoff game.

tommieharris91
5/13/2009, 04:33 PM
case in point...Greg Oden

Oden showed that he actually had competent skills while in college. Then he had microfracture surgery, and that stuff derails careers.

stoops the eternal pimp
5/13/2009, 05:16 PM
I never saw anything that warranted a number 1 pick in college...other than being big, I never saw much of anything offensive other than just being an ogre and chewing off people's arms that tried to get in his way

Scott D
5/13/2009, 05:52 PM
yeah but that sums up every 7 footer that is 19 going on 52.

Collier11
5/13/2009, 06:15 PM
in all fairness, he is avg about 15ppg since he began starting this series

stoops the eternal pimp
5/13/2009, 07:57 PM
who starting what series?

CrimsonJim
5/13/2009, 08:39 PM
who starting what series?

When did we start talkin' about baseball?! :confused:

snp
5/13/2009, 09:32 PM

The NBA is a weird league. They'll pass on guys who know how to "play" to draft guys with measureables. That's why they'll pay guys like Yao Ming hundreds of millions of dollars to pull down nine rebounds a game. You're 7'6''! You should be able to pull down nine rebounds in a half..

This notion that height alone determines rebounding prowess is so tiresome. Last I checked jumping ability and positioning are both key factors to getting rebounds. Because of his massive hieght, Yao is inherently at a disadvantage in quickness. Yet he's still a top-10 rebounder on a very good rebounding team.

And he's also the best offensive center in the game and brings in a huge Chinese market. You question why he gets paid as much as he does? Then you obviously don't follow the NBA and Rockets very well.

Frozen Sooner
5/13/2009, 09:54 PM

If I recall correctly, NBA teams were a bit leery of McGhee on character issues. He got arrested for slapping his girlfriend around right before the draft. I think.

Sooner04
5/13/2009, 10:35 PM
Then you obviously don't follow the NBA and Rockets very well.
I follow the NBA religiously and I think if you're 7'6'' you better be one bad-assed rebounding machine. You're either a bad-assed rebounding machine or your Manute Bol.

Rebounding is about smarts and effort. That's why Ernie Abercrombie went for 24 points and 22 boards against a Mississippi State team that featured Erick Dampier and went on to the Final Four.

starclassic tama
5/13/2009, 11:04 PM
I never saw anything that warranted a number 1 pick in college...other than being big, I never saw much of anything offensive other than just being an ogre and chewing off people's arms that tried to get in his way

um did you watch the national championship game? oden went for 25 and 15 and almost single handedly led his team to victory over a stacked florida team

SoonerShark
5/13/2009, 11:25 PM

How did Kevin Bookout use up his four years of basketball and have a year left in track and field after basketball was completed? It is another sport and he had four years in it, too, in the five year period.

stoops the eternal pimp
5/14/2009, 07:52 AM
um did you watch the national championship game? oden went for 25 and 15 and almost single handedly led his team to victory over a stacked florida team

well surely to god he is worthy of a number 1 pick then if he had a great game against a good basketball team!

badger
5/14/2009, 07:56 AM
well surely to god he is worthy of a number 1 pick then if he had a great game against a good basketball team!

On the flipside, having a poor game against a great player makes you unworthy of a number 1 pick... or a first round pick... AAAAAND, probably half the second round too.

I am, of course, referring to this:

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g308/ut9099/hansbrough-motivator.gif

(forever kudos to heybc for creating that)

UNC might have sent us home... but BG sent Pu$$y T's stock in an endless downward spiral in just one game.

badger
5/14/2009, 08:00 AM
Redick started last night.

I posted this right after it happened here (yes, on the football board, heh) that Redick got ejected for getting a call against him that he was accustomed to having the player guarding getting called against them in college. He was then issued a teckie and ejected from the game.

karma is a beyonce, jj

Collier11
5/14/2009, 09:17 AM

First of all, Florida won that game fairly easily. Second, how many great players have ended up being stiffs in the NBA? I am on record saying that the Blazers should have picked Durant right after the draft, Oden always looked to me like a stiff, he has limited offensive game other than put backs and 5 foot shots. I think he will end up being a nice 18 and 10 type guy if he can stay healthy but thats not what I want out of a #1 pick

Sooner04
5/14/2009, 09:24 AM
Oden's also a supposed "defensive whiz" but he can't stay on the floor. In this, his first season, he averaged nine fouls per 48 minutes. That means if he played two full games he'd foul out THREE times.

Prototype my ***. The dude's a neanderthal.

Sooner04
5/14/2009, 09:36 AM
One other thing, Collier, in regards to Redick. JJ is 6'4''. Hollis was listed as 6'1'', but he was probably 6'0''. Secondly, whereas Hollis was a good shooter, Redick is a GREAT shooter. I'm not saying he can dribble or that he has great hops, but he can get that shot off over most of the guys he'd face at the 2.

And Froz, if they'll give Zach Randolph a shot, why not Aaron McGhee?

King Crimson
5/14/2009, 09:37 AM
Oden's also a supposed "defensive whiz" but he can't stay on the floor. In this, his first season, he averaged nine fouls per 48 minutes. That means if he played two full games he'd foul out THREE times.

Prototype my ***. The dude's a neanderthal.

should have been called for intentional foul against Xavier, game over. and the X to the Final Four.

Sooner04
5/14/2009, 09:50 AM
should have been called for intentional foul against Xavier, game over. and the X to the Final Four.
Absolutely, but that game was in the Round of 32. Xavier was a mere 9-seed that season. They would've had loads of trouble with Tennessee and Memphis.

King Crimson
5/14/2009, 09:57 AM
dang, i could have sworn that game was the round 8. i guess all those head injuries are starting to add up.

Collier11
5/14/2009, 09:59 AM
One other thing, Collier, in regards to Redick. JJ is 6'4''. Hollis was listed as 6'1'', but he was probably 6'0''. Secondly, whereas Hollis was a good shooter, Redick is a GREAT shooter. I'm not saying he can dribble or that he has great hops, but he can get that shot off over most of the guys he'd face at the 2.

TRUE

And Froz, if they'll give Zach Randolph a shot, why not Aaron McGhee?

I think the diff was that Randolph was more of a low post guy that has developed outside very well while Mcgee was 10-15 with limited post moves

Scott D
5/14/2009, 10:25 AM

Now that Florida team had a guy that 04 should be making his question out of. How is Joakim Noah in the NBA and a starter but not Aaron McGhee. Talk about someone who has made a career out of riding the coattails of more talented teammates.

Collier11
5/14/2009, 10:33 AM
Noah is easy, he plays Defense like a mad man and plays 110% all the time. Coaches love high energy guys

badger
5/14/2009, 10:40 AM
Greg Oden seems like a nice guy, and after Microsoft dude Paul Allen had to deal with the "Jail Blazers" mantra, that's probably exactly who he was looking for when he drafted him - a guy that can be a good role model and a good player.

So, Portland won the lottery, but OKC won in the long run... and Seattle just keeps getting bad news... but only from one city newspaper now and not two.

stoops the eternal pimp
5/14/2009, 11:11 AM
and some of you wanted this thread to end...

Crimsontothecore
5/14/2009, 11:12 AM
Let me get this straight.....Stoops wants Griffin to walk on for a single year of eligibility when the best tight-end he's had in ten years is returning for what is almost definitely his final season at OU?

wow.....it must be May.

Sooner04
5/14/2009, 11:17 AM
and some of you wanted this thread to end...
It can end real quick. All we've got to do is start talking about golf.

Collier11
5/14/2009, 11:20 AM
better yet, soccer

SoonerInFortSmith
5/14/2009, 01:15 PM
You shoulda seen the shot Sterling Sharpe just made on the Nationwide Tour BMW Charity Pro-Am on Golf Network. And there's a sweet Italian Serie A soccer match on FSC. :D :D

Sooner04
5/14/2009, 01:16 PM
Who do you guys like in the US Open next month at Bethpage? Will Cabrera go halfway to the Grand Slam?

Which one of you morons is picking Furyk?

BermudaSooner
5/14/2009, 01:17 PM

At least when I went to school, you had no more than 4 years of eligibility in any sport, and 5 years total. I ran track, and had to miss a season of indoor track due to injury (which for some reason is a separate sport from outdoor track). If I wanted, I could have stuck around for another year and run indoor.

badger
5/14/2009, 01:21 PM
Sterling Sharpe

Wow... that's a name I haven't heard in a long while. He was one of the greatest Packer receivers during my lifetime. He was a long bright spot on a team that had a lot of bad talent back in my early childhood, which was plagued with draft picks such as Tony Roid Rage out of Meatchicken State.

Other Packer receivers that I enjoy talking about include Robert Brooks, Antonio Freeman, Andre Rison, Bill Schroeder, Dan Beebe, Terry Mickens, Desmond Howard (who technically only returned kicks for us, but in his heart of hearts thought he could play wide receiver, lol), Donald Driver, Greg Jennings, Jordy Nelson...

(ok, that should kill the thread)

soonerfan28
5/14/2009, 01:29 PM
I thought Robert Meacham was with New Orleans?

badger
5/14/2009, 01:41 PM
I thought Robert Meacham was with New Orleans?

:D Let's all post something in an attempt to kill this thread - that will SURELY lead to this thread's demise!

And 28, there is no Robert Meacham here... well, technically he's from Tulsa...

SoonerInFortSmith
5/14/2009, 01:50 PM
Wow... that's a name I haven't heard in a long while. He was one of the greatest Packer receivers during my lifetime. He was a long bright spot on a team that had a lot of bad talent back in my early childhood, which was plagued with draft picks such as Tony Roid Rage out of Meatchicken State.

Other Packer receivers that I enjoy talking about include Robert Brooks, Antonio Freeman, Andre Rison, Bill Schroeder, Dan Beebe, Terry Mickens, Desmond Howard (who technically only returned kicks for us, but in his heart of hearts thought he could play wide receiver, lol), Donald Driver, Greg Jennings, Jordy Nelson...

(ok, that should kill the thread)

Now Sterling just looks like he swallowed a basketball.:eek:

SoonerInFortSmith
5/14/2009, 01:51 PM
Who do you guys like in the US Open next month at Bethpage? Will Cabrera go halfway to the Grand Slam?

Which one of you morons is picking Furyk?

Tiger's gotta win another one eventually. Might as well pick this one. Should be mucho funno at Bethpage.

badger
5/14/2009, 01:54 PM
Now Sterling just looks like he swallowed a basketball.:eek:

If you post a picture of him here I will kill you... I'd much rather picture him as the quick, talented WR I remember.

EDIT: I won't kill you... and I probably won't get angry either... I know all athletes get fat eventually:
http://www2.pictures.gi.zimbio.com/Spike+TV+2008+Video+Game+Awards+Show+OBjMD5mR46Ll. jpg

SoonerInFortSmith
5/14/2009, 01:56 PM
If you post a picture of him here I will kill you... I'd much rather picture him as the quick, talented WR I remember.

EDIT: I won't kill you... and I probably won't get angry either... I know all athletes get fat eventually:
http://www2.pictures.gi.zimbio.com/Spike+TV+2008+Video+Game+Awards+Show+OBjMD5mR46Ll. jpg

I'm sure he could still outrun my fat arse. Plus he has a better golf swing than me, so you ain't got nuthin' to worry 'bout there.

Sooner04
5/14/2009, 03:08 PM
You know, I've thought about this topic a bit, and I feel I may have been a big harsh on Chairman Yao. Offensively, he's a great player. He's averaged 19 points a game when a lot of people labeled him a complete stiff from the get-go. He's obviously no Shawn Bradley.

They kept throwing money at Shawn Bradley. Man, oh man.

Anyway, with Yao, my gripe has always been about the rebounds. Wilt the Stilt NEVER averaged less than 18 rebounds a game. Yao's never averaged 11. There are 150 or so shots put up in every game, 75 are missed, and you're telling me you can't track down 15% of those caroms? Jabbar, who I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for, averaged more defensive rebounds a game into his 30s than Yao averages TOTAL rebounds as an "in his prime" 28-year-old.

Again, to me the stat has always been about effort. That's why 6'6'' Charles Wade Barkley averaged 12 boards a game for his career. That's why "The Worm", Rodman, all 6'7'' of him, averaged 19 rebounds a game for the '92 Pistons.

Great rebounding teams are always good teams, period. You're eliminating second chance opportunities and you're cleaning the glass for your offense. Yao should be better at it, and if he were I think the Rockets would be a MUCH better basketball team.

I'm a weird guy, but I love the NBA. GMs sometimes drive me to drink (after all, it was my Seattle Supersonics who paid Jim McIlvane and forever shunned Shawn Kemp), but I love the NBA.

stoops the eternal pimp
5/14/2009, 04:11 PM
Jim McIlvaine, Ervin Johnson....THe old lets start a center who can't score but bench him 5 minutes into every game, and then bring him back out to start the 3rd and do it again...

Scott D
5/15/2009, 01:12 AM
You know, I've thought about this topic a bit, and I feel I may have been a big harsh on Chairman Yao. Offensively, he's a great player. He's averaged 19 points a game when a lot of people labeled him a complete stiff from the get-go. He's obviously no Shawn Bradley.

Anyway, with Yao, my gripe has always been about the rebounds. Wilt the Stilt NEVER averaged less than 18 rebounds a game. Yao's never averaged 11. There are 150 or so shots put up in every game, 75 are missed, and you're telling me you can't track down 15% of those caroms? Jabbar, who I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for, averaged more defensive rebounds a game into his 30s than Yao averages TOTAL rebounds as an "in his prime" 28-year-old.

Again, to me the stat has always been about effort. That's why 6'6'' Charles Wade Barkley averaged 12 boards a game for his career. That's why "The Worm", Rodman, all 6'7'' of him, averaged 19 rebounds a game for the '92 Pistons.

Great rebounding teams are always good teams, period. You're eliminating second chance opportunities and you're cleaning the glass for your offense. Yao should be better at it, and if he were I think the Rockets would be a MUCH better basketball team.

I'm a weird guy, but I love the NBA. GMs sometimes drive me to drink (after all, it was my Seattle Supersonics who paid Jim McIlvane and forever shunned Shawn Kemp), but I love the NBA.

now you're just reminding me of that article that was in I think SI last year talking about rebounding, and going in depth as to why some guys you think 'should' be good rebounders aren't, and why other guys who shouldn't be good rebounders tend to be.

snp
5/15/2009, 02:40 AM
I follow the NBA religiously and I think if you're 7'6'' you better be one bad-assed rebounding machine. You're either a bad-assed rebounding machine or your Manute Bol.

Fine, let's compare him to players his size.

Yao Ming - 33 MPG, 9 RPG
Ralph Sampson - 30 MPG, 9 RPG
Zydrunas Ilgauskas - 29 MPG, 8 RPG
Rik Smits - 27 MPG, 6 RPG
Arvydas Sabonis - 24 MPG, 7 RPG
Shawn Bradley - 23 MPG, 6 RPG
Gheorghe Muresan - 21 MPG, 6 RPG
Manute Bol - 19 MPG, 4 RPG

Granted, "X Stats Per Game" is not the best metric to use due to playing time, so I'll inculde Per 36 MPG. However, with centers this can also be faulty logic because you're going to get diminishing returns very quickly with centers because they don't have the best stamina and they are foul prone.

Arvydas Sabonis - 11 RPG, 4 FPG
Ralph Sampson - 11 RPG, 4 FPG
Muresan - 10 RPG, 5 FPG
Bradley - 10 RPG, 5 FPG
Z - 10 RPG, 4 FPG.
Yao - 9 RPG, 3 FPG
Bol - 9 RPG, 5 FPG
Rik Smits - 8 RPG, 5 FPG

The best from this group of players is definitely Yao, and then players who were smaller. Ignoring Sabonis because he wasn't in his prime when he came over, he could have been in the top-5 center conversation. Yao destroys the 3 bigger guys but that's also because they sucked.

Furthermore, none of those players are the focal point on offense like Yao. He commands so much attention on the offensive side of the ball, that he is much more physically spent. Those other guys aren't getting the entire front court in trouble and having to face 3-4 different defenders and schemes designed to shut you down. So you could see why his rebounding would slip some.

No one is saying Yao is an all-time top-5 center so I don't see the need for comparing him to these two. Wilt played in such a different era that the comparison should be thrown out.

But he is the best center in the league right now. Which is why he gets paid like he does, which originated this lengthy response. (Sorry for more words than you were expecting, just a little jazzed after game 6 tonight)

Again, this comparison doesn't have much merit. Yao Ming can't give as much effort as guys who are a foot shorter and 100 pounds lighter. It isn't physically possible.

Agreed and I still fail to see your point. Yao Ming is a good rebounder for his size. For his size, he is also able to play a ton of minutes. He is not the best in the NBA but height alone does not make you a good rebounder. There are literally hundreds of people in this world that are close to Yao's height and they aren't playing in the NBA. There are downsides to height that you are not recognizing.

I do think he has room for improvement in defensive rebounding but that's more of an issue of holding the ball higher so defenders can't slap it out of his hand and improving his hand/eye cordination so he catches the ball cleanly.

snp
5/15/2009, 02:41 AM
How did Kevin Bookout use up his four years of basketball and have a year left in track and field after basketball was completed? It is another sport and he had four years in it, too, in the five year period.

Bookout injured a shoulder one year and had to redshirt during that track season.

badger
5/15/2009, 07:12 AM
Bookout injured a shoulder one year and had to redshirt during that track season.

I always thought Kevin Bookout (what a dorkie hottie) would pursue the track side of his athletic career post-college, but I guess he never got his Olympic dream. Last I heard he was D-League.

MrJimBeam
5/15/2009, 07:39 AM
Bucket List:
1. Suit up for the Sooners.
2. Die.

Blake-walk-on-never-played-the-sport-Toby-Keith-football player will accomplish both within about 45 minutes of the other.

Sooner04
5/15/2009, 09:00 AM
The Rockets have taken the Lakers to a 7th game without Yao. The Chinaman's overrated! Throw more dollars at Luis Scola!

:)

SoonerInFortSmith
5/15/2009, 09:14 AM
Why did our attempts to kill this thread fail? Die evil turkey, die!

Collier11
5/15/2009, 09:21 AM
evil turkeys never die, they turn into zombies without a Conscience

stoops the eternal pimp
5/15/2009, 09:22 AM
The Rockets have taken the Lakers to a 7th game without Yao. The Chinaman's overrated! Throw more dollars at Luis Scola!

:)

Aaron Brooks is a much better basketball player than he was as a quarterback

badger
5/15/2009, 09:33 AM
I tried to watch hockey last night. Then it went into overtime and I fell asleep. I still don't know who eventually won. Hockey is phail.

Scott D
5/15/2009, 12:31 PM
Fine, let's compare him to players his size.

Yao Ming - 33 MPG, 9 RPG
Ralph Sampson - 30 MPG, 9 RPG
Zydrunas Ilgauskas - 29 MPG, 8 RPG
Rik Smits - 27 MPG, 6 RPG
Arvydas Sabonis - 24 MPG, 7 RPG
Shawn Bradley - 23 MPG, 6 RPG
Gheorghe Muresan - 21 MPG, 6 RPG
Manute Bol - 19 MPG, 4 RPG

The last 3 names on this list were nothing but sideshows. Sampson was so injury prone the Rockets NEEDED Olajuwon. Enough so that I'd argue with some seasoning that Greg Oden will = Ralph Sampson. Sabonis was at the end of his career when he finally came to the NBA so that'd be like comparing Satchel Paige when he broke into MLB to Bob Gibson.