PDA

View Full Version : Car Electronics Question (Olevet Signal)

royalfan5
5/7/2009, 06:19 PM
So this morning, I go to start my car to go to work. I turn the key, radio comes on, gauge cluster lights up, car doesn't start. I try again 5 min later, no luck yet again. So after I get home afterwork, I try it again once more for sport, car starts right up. However, the electronic number displays went all weird, and the clock reset itself. It has started since then. I'm thinking this is some sort of short or something, but I'm not sure. I thought the starter had conked out, but now that I have started it three times in a row, I'm suspect it is something else. Anybody have any useful input on this? TIA.

olevetonahill
5/7/2009, 06:25 PM
How old is the battery ?

royalfan5
5/7/2009, 06:26 PM
How old is the battery ?

Came with the car in 2004. Voltmeter is still reading at normal levels.

olevetonahill
5/7/2009, 06:29 PM
Came with the car in 2004. Voltmeter is still reading at normal levels.

Get a new one
Ill bet ya with Odds that its the battery ;)

OU-HSV
5/7/2009, 06:31 PM
What kind of car is this we're talking about RF? I had a Jeep Cherokee that did that kind of stuff once and I believe it was simply the battery.

Another thing...I drive a Saturn and my keyless entry signal got messed up once and I had to unlock it with the key. I figured out that my car has an anti theft mechanism in which if you don't unlock the car with the keyless entry, everything goes wacko (some lights worked/some dash lights worked/radio had a mind of it's own) and the car won't start. So it was an easy fix, I simply had to reset my keyless remote to be back in sync with the receiver in my car.
So is your keyless entry working fine?

That's my only two tips

olevetonahill
5/7/2009, 06:32 PM
Seen it to many times
prolly got a dead cell

royalfan5
5/7/2009, 06:32 PM
Get a new one
Ill bet ya with Odds that its the battery ;)
Fair enough, however I'm about ten days from trading the car in for a different one. I really don't want to put any more money into it.

olevetonahill
5/7/2009, 06:34 PM
get a cheap one
30 /40 bucks

royalfan5
5/7/2009, 06:45 PM
So it is back to rolling over and starting like new. How temporary is this condition likely to be?

OU-HSV
5/7/2009, 06:51 PM
Did you see my post RF?

royalfan5
5/7/2009, 06:53 PM
Did you see my post RF?
I saw it. That might be what it was I suppose. But the car starts basically improved in gradual fashion to the point where it is good as new now.

olevetonahill
5/7/2009, 06:54 PM
It will be intermittent for awhile
the bad part is when ya go to trade it in and it wont start its gonna ruin the deal fer ya

Sides ya prolly be better off selling yer car yerself than trading it in

olevetonahill
5/7/2009, 06:56 PM
Hell go the Salvage yard and buy a used one

OU-HSV
5/7/2009, 07:00 PM
I saw it. That might be what it was I suppose. But the car starts basically improved in gradual fashion to the point where it is good as new now.

So it's not the keyless entry then. So Vets probably right with the battery

olevetonahill
5/7/2009, 07:18 PM
If ya gonna try to go Cheap
then try to keep the battery warm , Cold Temps knock a weak batteries dick in the dirt

royalfan5
5/7/2009, 08:35 PM
I went, tested the battery, and replaced it with a basic new one. The lesson here is to always listen to Olevet because he is always right.

olevetonahill
5/7/2009, 08:57 PM
I went, tested the battery, and replaced it with a basic new one. The lesson here is to always listen to Olevet because he is always right.

:D
Just seen that prob to many times bro

fadada1
5/7/2009, 09:31 PM
might be a "floating ground". i got that answer once... told the guy to go f**k himself, and went to another garage.

olevetonahill
5/7/2009, 09:57 PM
Loose ground connects can cause a **** load of probs

BudSooner
5/7/2009, 10:20 PM
Yep, if it ain't mechanical...it's probably the ground, alot of things get blamed when in truth that connection has to be clean and tight.

Like other things in life. :D

Crucifax Autumn
5/7/2009, 10:27 PM
I woulda guessed it was either the Flux Capacitor or the Warp Containment Field, but I don't know ****!

StoopTroup
5/8/2009, 02:37 AM
You need to blow in the breathalyzer when your sober or it won't start.

bluedogok
5/8/2009, 08:28 PM
:D
Just seen that prob to many times bro
..and it's a pretty cheap fix nowadays.

If it's a top post battery cleaning the connections with the wire battery cleaner tool can work wonders as well. On side post batteries they tend to corrode less but it doesn't take as much to interrupt the connection.