PDA

View Full Version : Star Trek

TheUnnamedSooner
5/7/2009, 02:29 PM
Anyone going to see this flick this weekend?

:pop:

I'm going to see it at an IMAX theatre in Dallas. Almost all the reviews are pretty positive minus Roger Ebert.

SoonerStormchaser
5/7/2009, 02:40 PM
Nope...cause I'm deployed. Maybe they'll show it here in another month.

sitzpinkler
5/7/2009, 02:57 PM
I might go see it. I'm not thrilled that they went the way of Star Wars and did a prequel, but I'm trying to keep an open mind about it. TOS and TNG characters are played out.

soonermix
5/7/2009, 03:36 PM
yes i will see this movie

Hot Rod
5/7/2009, 03:40 PM
Gonna check it out at Warren tomorrow. Hopefully it's worth it.

Scott D
5/7/2009, 03:53 PM
I've heard it's pretty good.

yermom
5/7/2009, 03:54 PM
Warren tonight

i've only heard good things

crawfish
5/7/2009, 03:55 PM
Seeing it tonight. Me and the rest of the nerds. :)

Czar Soonerov
5/7/2009, 04:22 PM
http://www.theonion.com/content/video/trekkies_bash_new_star_trek_film

stoops the eternal pimp
5/7/2009, 04:26 PM
I just trying to figure out which posters are gonna go dressed as what characters....

Scott D- Spock...a ginormous Spock

sitzpinkler
5/7/2009, 05:00 PM
I was going to go see it tomorrow but not now. My best friend got tickets for 10pm and I'll be damned if I'm sitting in a movie theatre from 10pm to midnight on a Friday.

royalfan5
5/7/2009, 05:49 PM
I'm going on Saturday. I'm not going to tempt fate and wear a redshirt though.

SoonerStormchaser
5/7/2009, 07:36 PM
http://echosphere.net/star_trek_insp/insp_expendability.jpg

CrimsonJim
5/7/2009, 08:02 PM
I'll be going to it some time this weekend. Yep, I'm a nerd. Nope, I don't dress the part. :P~

BudSooner
5/7/2009, 08:38 PM
Going on Sunday.

fadada1
5/7/2009, 09:28 PM
we might see it on IMAX... in november. something is telling me IMAX is going to be busy for a few months (especially in a 200 seat theater).

previews look pretty cool. any nekkid james t. kirk chicks??? gotta have some motivation to see a trek flick.

BudSooner
5/7/2009, 10:17 PM
previews look pretty cool. any nekkid james t. kirk chicks??? gotta have some motivation to see a trek flick.

Sorta, Rachel Nichols plays a green skinned roomate of Uhura and does the horizontal limbo with Kirk.
The same chick who plays Scarlett in GI Joe.

Weird, crossover actors/actresses this summer...you have that and Anton (SP?)Yelchtin who plays Chekov also plays Kyle Reese...John Connors daddy in Terminator Salvation.

yermom
5/8/2009, 01:46 AM
i was kinda thinking that was Rachel Nichols :hot:

had a couple of shades of Phantom Menace in some of the visuals i didn't care for, and part of the backstory was a little thin, but overall it was pretty badass

Winona Ryder was kinda hard to spot...

badger
5/8/2009, 10:03 AM
http://echosphere.net/star_trek_insp/insp_expendability.jpg

I remembered seeing some episode where these aliens were turning characters into little powder-like cubey things... like decahedrons, I guess.

Anyways, the first two to get this technology shown on was "Ensign Ricky" and "Beautiful Chickie." Chickie just got through telling Kirk that she was afraid and didn't want to be cubed... well, they both were cubed anyway!

The alien procedes to crush one powder cube in his hands, killing one of the characters, then restoring the other to normalcy.

:D Guess which one died?

Crucifax Autumn
5/8/2009, 10:22 AM
So that's how they make boullion cubes!

crawfish
5/8/2009, 10:24 AM
It was really, really good. Action from start to finish. The way they've "rebooted" the series is incredibly clever, it allows them to go on without concern of being "true" to the existing ST universe (which is large and complicated). The characters are all dead-on - except Chekov, whose accent is slightly over the top. :) It is funny and quite fun. Not perfect, and doesn't contain the iconic moments of ST2 (KHAAAAAAN!), but is one of the better ST movies.

Crucifax Autumn
5/8/2009, 10:28 AM
Yes..I enjoy the not so clever cause Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles and even the movies already did it continuity escape. I feel it gives them a huge amount of freedom that they will be able to exploit if the franchise continues down this path.

Scott D
5/8/2009, 12:59 PM
I just trying to figure out which posters are gonna go dressed as what characters....

Scott D- Spock...a ginormous Spock

**** no...Sisco....Benjamin Sisco

badger
5/8/2009, 01:12 PM
I found this photo on the wire:
http://media.kansascity.com/smedia/2009/05/08/10/657-Star_Trek_CAMW105.standalone.prod_affiliate.81.jpg

Long Live Proper! ;)

KC//CRIMSON
5/8/2009, 03:06 PM
New surprise ending! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KRc7fn434Y)

BudSooner
5/8/2009, 10:51 PM
Let me just say, i'm a lifelong Trek fan and have to say....THAT WAS ****ING GOOD!
The ending was way better than I hoped, the only thing missing from the movie was a tried and true James T Kirk roundhouse kick to one of the bad guys.

King Crimson
5/8/2009, 11:07 PM
Let me just say, i'm a lifelong Trek fan and have to say....THAT WAS ****ING GOOD!
The ending was way better than I hoped, the only thing missing from the movie was a tried and true James T Kirk roundhouse kick to one of the bad guys.

what i think you mean, is JT Kirk outsmarting the computer with illogic. and making it blow up.

KC//CRIMSON
5/8/2009, 11:10 PM
Getting ready to watch it on my laptops, yo!

picasso
5/8/2009, 11:38 PM
Getting ready to watch it on my laptops, yo!

you bootleggin sumbitch.

bri
5/8/2009, 11:43 PM
Enjoy it while you can, nerds, 'cause you know JJ Abrams can't keep anything good for long. I give it two sequels tops before you're all longing for the halcyon days of The Final Frontier and Nemesis.

KC//CRIMSON
5/9/2009, 12:20 AM
Hutch: What'll it be fellows?

Trekkie Nerd: How much for the phaser gun?

Hutch: Sorry, Garfunkel. We don't hauk trek here.

Trekkie Nerd: Well then, Slim, if you don't sell the trek why do you have a phaser gun in the case?

Hutch: We keep this one here to suss out trekkie bitches like yourself and tell them to get the hell of our land. NOW GET THE HELL OFF OUR LAND! GET THE HELL OFF OUR LAND!! YOU KURT LOVIN, SPOCK SUCKERS!

TheUnnamedSooner
5/9/2009, 01:03 AM
Great movie! Seeing it in IMAX was incredible.

bri
5/9/2009, 03:00 AM
Hutch: What'll it be fellows?

Trekkie Nerd: How much for the phaser gun?

Hutch: Sorry, Garfunkel. We don't hauk trek here.

Trekkie Nerd: Well then, Slim, if you don't sell the trek why do you have a phaser gun in the case?

Hutch: We keep this one here to suss out trekkie bitches like yourself and tell them to get the hell of our land. NOW GET THE HELL OFF OUR LAND! GET THE HELL OFF OUR LAND!! YOU KURT LOVIN, SPOCK SUCKERS!

06fzjUOoY9U

StoopTroup
5/9/2009, 05:14 PM
^Greatness...lol

StoopTroup
5/10/2009, 01:58 AM
Saw the movie last night. Took the Wife and kids. We all liked it very much. It brought back some memories from when I was a kid. I remember when the network was going to cancel the show. I wrote in asking that they keep airing the show. I was around 10 I think.

Star Trek originated as a television series in 1966, although it had been in the planning stages for at least six years prior to that. It was canceled after its third television season due to low ratings. It was, however, highly popular with science-fiction fans and engineering students, in spite of generally low Nielsen ratings.

Frozen Sooner
5/10/2009, 02:32 AM
Really really good. Never been a big Star Trek guy, but I thought this was outstanding.

badger
5/10/2009, 04:55 PM
The weekend estimates for domestic are as follows:

Star Trek: $72 mil
Wolverine: $27 mil

Take it as you will - Wolverine opened at $80 mil-plus last weekend, but didn't have any other action-like flick to compete with. I think the Wolverine head honchos have to worry what this implies for the longevity of their film, going from $80 mil+ one week to $27 mil the next.

NP and I just saw Star Trek and we saw Wolverine last weekend. I would have to say that Trek is a flick that people will pay to see again, whereas Wolverine is a movie that you will only see again if a friend downloads it on the computer, or it starts getting shown repeatedly on a cable channel in a year.

OU_Sooners75
5/10/2009, 05:31 PM
06fzjUOoY9U

Greatness!

LMFAO

Scott D
5/10/2009, 11:06 PM
The weekend estimates for domestic are as follows:

Star Trek: $72 mil
Wolverine: $27 mil

Take it as you will - Wolverine opened at $80 mil-plus last weekend, but didn't have any other action-like flick to compete with. I think the Wolverine head honchos have to worry what this implies for the longevity of their film, going from $80 mil+ one week to $27 mil the next.

NP and I just saw Star Trek and we saw Wolverine last weekend. I would have to say that Trek is a flick that people will pay to see again, whereas Wolverine is a movie that you will only see again if a friend downloads it on the computer, or it starts getting shown repeatedly on a cable channel in a year.

I wouldn't read that as being a death knell for Wolverine. You've got one established franchise facing off against another. With this being the opening season of big time movies, we'll likely have a new #1 at the box office again virtually every week for the next 3 months.

Crucifax Autumn
5/11/2009, 02:07 AM
Not to mention Wolverine has probably already posted a profit.

Okla-homey
5/11/2009, 05:12 AM
Nope...cause I'm deployed. Maybe they'll show it here in another month.

do you ave to mention you are "deployed" in every post? I mean, c'mon man. OPSEC.

and besides, we got first run movies on DVD while "deployed" back in the day.

badger
5/11/2009, 07:51 AM
That could be his location: I'M DEPLOYED ;)

In any event, I still think Star Trek will have more longevity in theatres than Wolverine... even though Wolverine was apparently showing on more screens domestically than Trek. According to Rotten Tomatoes, Trek is getting nearly universal praise... Wolverine, not so much.

I liked both movies, but there's only one of the two I would consider going to see again.

BudSooner
5/11/2009, 08:07 AM
Bad word of mouth did not do Wolverine any favors in my opinion, i've not watched it but what i've read is that the "leaked" version that came out on the web weeks ago wasn't too far off from the finished product.

Frozen Sooner
5/11/2009, 11:32 AM
Not to mention Wolverine has probably already posted a profit.

And has a sequel already greenlit.

sooner_born_1960
5/11/2009, 11:35 AM
And has a sequel already greenlit.

Or will this one be a prequel, also?

yermom
5/11/2009, 11:38 AM
it's not really a prequel

Frozen Sooner
5/11/2009, 11:47 AM
Or will this one be a prequel, also?

It's a sequel to the prequel, but still a prequel to the main series.

sooner_born_1960
5/11/2009, 12:01 PM
Glad you cleared that up. I'm not a continuity freak or anything. If the movie entertains, that's all I really care about.

Octavian
5/11/2009, 12:38 PM
I'm a big Star Wars fan...always have been.

But I like Star Trek. It's different of course, but one of the cool things I always liked about Trek was that you had to grasp the entire arc of the decades-long story to get the newer stuff -- DS9 and (sigh) Voyager. At the same time, it's a huge weakness because the cannon dictates what you can and can't do....and how much a non-geek can just sit down and enjoy a good flick.

I left the theater last night kinda torn. One the one hand, this is not only the best Star Trek movie in a long, long time but it's one of the best sci-fi movies I've seen in quite awhile. It was just awesome -- they did a great job from the sp. fx to the characters to the ship to the academy -- everything.

On the other....why make a prequel that, essentially, doesn't count? Just seems so unnecessary. JJ could've created all the same awesome qualities he did, but put them into a film that maintained continuity and established a real chapter in the broader saga. Could've kept time travel, future Spock, all that -- without eroding the last 40 years. I just don't get it.

If Star Wars Episode I (or II or III) would have featured the destruction of Endor or Hoth or Dagobah -- and the creators' response would've been "oh well, it's just a new timeline..." -- many people (even a few on this board) might have gone to prison.

In any event, it was the first trek movie in awhile where I enjoyed it thoroughly throughout. And I'm excited about the sequel. Just seemed so unnecessary -- but its a great movie, no doubt.

badger
5/11/2009, 12:40 PM
I might have shed a tear from seeing old Spock and new Spock in the same film... it was quite touching.

soonerfan28
5/11/2009, 12:57 PM
I'll watch it on the internet.

BudSooner
5/11/2009, 01:17 PM
It was an awesome movie but there were some sticking points....

Eric Bana, just what was he doing for 25yrs while waiting on Spock to arrive? Doing his laundry?
Uhura when getting pissy over not being sent to the Enterprise was obnoxious...I understand the idea but she struck me as a whiny little kid in that scene.
Spock ejecting Kirk from the ship, only to have to run and hide....and then run into Spock? I've read too much about the film and it gave me the impression that the scene wasn't going to be where one finds the other....too contrived.

I kept thinking about Scotty's lil buddy Keesner, he looked like the aliens from the last movie where Picard/Data and Worf found B4's head on the planet...not bad but he was pretty funny for someone who had no dialogue in the film.

Kirks step dad was voiced by, who else??? Matt Parkman. :D

Captain Robau(Tarin Fahir from Iron Man)was very good as the doomed captain...and when the crew of the Kelvin finds out what happened to him on the Narada was just genius.

This will be an excellent addition on Blue Ray when it comes out, but till then i'm going to see it again, and probably again. :D

soonerfan28
5/11/2009, 01:38 PM
Wasn't Spock played by Zachary Quinto?

Vaevictis
5/11/2009, 01:48 PM
The answer to this:

On the other....why make a prequel that, essentially, doesn't count? Just seems so unnecessary. JJ could've created all the same awesome qualities he did, but put them into a film that maintained continuity and established a real chapter in the broader saga. Could've kept time travel, future Spock, all that -- without eroding the last 40 years. I just don't get it.

Is this:

At the same time, it's a huge weakness because the cannon dictates what you can and can't do....and how much a non-geek can just sit down and enjoy a good flick.

I agree with you on the Star Wars thing, but remember -- Star Trek has had so much more done with it. It's not like Star Wars, where fans waited 20 years for a sequel. We've had four television series, a dozenish movies, etc. I think most fans are about ready for a fresh start.

They just forked off a new timeline so they can do new things with it, that's all. At this point, about the only thing they have in the future that's binding is the Borg (there's an episode of ST:Enterprise in which a subspace signal gets sent to the Borg, due to arrive in the 24th century), and I don't think they mind that at all.

BudSooner
5/11/2009, 01:54 PM
Yes.

badger
5/11/2009, 02:03 PM

Makes you wonder after all these Star Trek flicks when the Spock character will pass his prime

Octavian
5/11/2009, 02:09 PM
Vae, I don't want you coming in here and making sense. Good trekkies are supposed to be allowed to wallow in their canonical misery. ;)

It is a fresh start...but it just seemed like it was sold as "the beginning." This movie --as fun as it is --is "the beginning....but not really." Whatever -- it didn't suck.

They can do a lot more now. It'd be cool if they made the next movie the first installment of a trilogy --ala II, III, IV --rather than just a stand-alone. Its been awhile since they've gone that route.

Vaevictis
5/11/2009, 02:16 PM
I went in with no small amount of apprehension. I'm sick and tired of time travel episodes; it's a trite plot trick in the Star Trek universe, overused and rarely with any consequences or even reason other than to fill time. It's my pet peeve.

I went in afraid I'd walk out disgusted.

But no, this time travel episode had reason, and it had consequences. All in all, I felt it was artfully done, and it's the first Star Trek time travel episode in a long time to do so (in so far as I recall).

I was very, very pleasantly surprised.

TheUnnamedSooner
5/11/2009, 04:02 PM
I went in with no small amount of apprehension. I'm sick and tired of time travel episodes; it's a trite plot trick in the Star Trek universe, overused and rarely with any consequences or even reason other than to fill time. It's my pet peeve.

But no, this time travel episode had reason, and it had consequences. All in all, I felt it was artfully done, and it's the first Star Trek time travel episode in a long time to do so (in so far as I recall).

Agreed. I felt the same way when I heard of the time travel dealio. However the fact the movie ended and things are not back to normal is one of the things that I really appreciated.

BudSooner
5/11/2009, 04:16 PM

Very well put.

I was just shocked at the consequence of it. All of them.

C&CDean
5/11/2009, 04:22 PM
It was an awesome movie but there were some sticking points....

Eric Bana, just what was he doing for 25yrs while waiting on Spock to arrive? Doing his laundry?
Uhura when getting pissy over not being sent to the Enterprise was obnoxious...I understand the idea but she struck me as a whiny little kid in that scene.
Spock ejecting Kirk from the ship, only to have to run and hide....and then run into Spock? I've read too much about the film and it gave me the impression that the scene wasn't going to be where one finds the other....too contrived.

I kept thinking about Scotty's lil buddy Keesner, he looked like the aliens from the last movie where Picard/Data and Worf found B4's head on the planet...not bad but he was pretty funny for someone who had no dialogue in the film.

Kirks step dad was voiced by, who else??? Matt Parkman. :D

Captain Robau(Tarin Fahir from Iron Man)was very good as the doomed captain...and when the crew of the Kelvin finds out what happened to him on the Narada was just genius.

This will be an excellent addition on Blue Ray when it comes out, but till then i'm going to see it again, and probably again. :D

And some people call me a nerd for knowing that Dumbledore's full name is Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore. And that knowing Sir Richard Harris > Michael Gambon.

Sooner04
5/11/2009, 04:41 PM
do you ave to mention you are "deployed" in every post? I mean, c'mon man. OPSEC.
If it keeps him from mentioning that he'll return home to bang a 62-year-old woman then I'm all for it.

BudSooner
5/11/2009, 05:14 PM
And some people call me a nerd for knowing that Dumbledore's full name is Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore. And that knowing Sir Richard Harris > Michael Gambon.

No way you are a nerd for being gay for Harry Potter, but if the hood of your farm truck looks like this....then yes you are a gay nerd... ;)

http://failblog.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/fail-owned-dennis-potter-fail.jpg?w=423&h=500

GottaHavePride
5/14/2009, 10:16 PM
Since it hasn't been said yet:

OMG holy crap ****ing awesome!

Anyway, I like the casting, plot was mostly solid. I think McCoy and Scotty are possibly the best casting choices in the whole thing. I like that Michael Giacchino chose NOT to rely on the old Trek theme music for this one. (I also dug that he did finally throw it in at the end, and then messed with it. :D )

Crucifax Autumn
5/15/2009, 12:51 AM
I like that people seem to agree that Harry Potter is gayer than Star Trek. I also appreciate that people recognize that those of us who are Trek fans are, indeed, nerds! lol

badger
5/15/2009, 07:58 AM
I am kind of surprised that even after we've all read the books and the series ended a few years ago that we continue getting excited about new Harry Potter movie releases... at least with the new movie Star Trek, you know that there will be new elements to the story introduced that you haven't read about already (unless you like Internet spoilers).

With the sixth movie/book, we've been spoiled already:
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/4x_WUb68RQo&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4x_WUb68RQo&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

NSFW - Spoilers if you don't know how book 6 ends - and play till the end, cuz it doesn't get funny until about 1:30.

King Crimson
5/15/2009, 08:03 AM
i thought the Trek flick was pretty good, not mindblowing by any means. like GHP said, the casting was great and it had to be since the plot was driven by character "foundation myths" and exaggerated caricature. the Eric Bana bad guy was pretty much bad guy 1001--not a lot of depth there. no quoting Blake or eating children....to spice things up.

overall, they played the campy angle pretty well.

i guess it's some law that alien bad guy super bad *** killer spacecraft need have catwalks and balconies over which one can fall to great, perilous depths. that's a consistent motif.

i thought the original green chick was hotter, for strange.

fadada1
5/17/2009, 09:09 PM
the bride and i saw it last night. she loves all the trek mambojahambo. that being said, we both thought it was great. highly recommended - even for the non-trekkers out there in soonerland.

hellogoodbye
5/20/2009, 09:57 AM
Agreed. I felt the same way when I heard of the time travel dealio. However the fact the movie ended and things are not back to normal is one of the things that I really appreciated.

Second. That's the only really original twist to the time travel as literary device. Its lazy writing - a' la the holodeck.

geek alert (sorry had to get it off my chest)
Canon or not, I left the movie thinking that is going to be a problem that's going to have to be fixed. Forget the ST canon, eliminating 2 entire planets worth of people won't dramatically affect reality? Like Spock was the only guy that left his planet and made any contribution of significance? And then the whole idea where a present version and a future version of Spock living together in the same plane of existence. huh?

My wife (not a big ST fan) brought up a good point. Was all that time travel stuff because you cant make a ST movie without having an Enterprise? Would you have lost that much if it was simply another ship?

Vaevictis
5/20/2009, 10:09 AM
Forget the ST canon, eliminating 2 entire planets worth of people won't dramatically affect reality? Like Spock was the only guy that left his planet and made any contribution of significance? And then the whole idea where a present version and a future version of Spock living together in the same plane of existence. huh?

It will, but I think they're running with the alternate reality theory.

In this theory, going back in time and changing the past doesn't alter your history, but instead puts you in an alternate universe that forked off as a result of the time travel events.

yermom
5/20/2009, 10:24 AM
well, they only really got rid of one planet. Romulus isn't destroyed until after the history we know

not much ever happened on Vulcan anyway :P

this gives them the freedom to do whatever they want with the characters. they aren't really the old characters we all know, their histories may or may not be different

NormanPride
5/20/2009, 10:28 AM
How important was Vulcan in developing Federation technologies that kept up with the Romulans/Klingons/Dominion/Borg/etc.? That, I think, would be one of the biggest blows.

hellogoodbye
5/20/2009, 10:50 AM
It will, but I think they're running with the alternate reality theory.

In this theory, going back in time and changing the past doesn't alter your history, but instead puts you in an alternate universe that forked off as a result of the time travel events.

That makes a little sense, within that plausibility, and it's unlimited results. The problem (for me) is that the fork has future Spock existing and conversing with present Spock, and present Spock's awareness of his future self, etc etc. Thats not a fork, that's some kind of twisted, diabolical frayed spaghetti strainer of nightmares! I thought the general consensus was that past time travel is impossible, only time travel to the future can be obtained in the relative universe.

How important was Vulcan in developing Federation technologies that kept up with the Romulans/Klingons/Dominion/Borg/etc.? That, I think, would be one of the biggest blows.

Exactly. Eliminating Germany and Canada (ok scratch Canada, insert China) wont affect reality? Exponentially worse for planets of billions of people.

edit: I suppose this alternate reality results in Spock doing the nasty with a young Uhura, so Spock aint bitchin!

yermom
5/20/2009, 11:03 AM
in Star Trek science, they've already traveled back in time though. i'm not even sure how many times, but at least twice in the movies (First Contact and Save the Whales, i mean The Voyage Home)

hellogoodbye
5/20/2009, 11:13 AM
in Star Trek science, they've already traveled back in time though. i'm not even sure how many times, but at least twice in the movies (First Contact and Save the Whales, i mean The Voyage Home)

yea many more times than that! oh well.. I loved the movie, and understand why they did that, but either fix it (making this movie not really "count"), or dont (making all the rest not really "count"). I know that means nothing to those who just want to go see a good movie, but my mangaged little universe inside my head is starting to rupture....

yermom
5/20/2009, 11:16 AM
they aren't rupturing the universe. they just have a bunch of time now to stop Romulus from being destroyed :D

Frozen Sooner
5/20/2009, 11:19 AM
Second. That's the only really original twist to the time travel as literary device. Its lazy writing - a' la the holodeck.

geek alert (sorry had to get it off my chest)
Canon or not, I left the movie thinking that is going to be a problem that's going to have to be fixed. Forget the ST canon, eliminating 2 entire planets worth of people won't dramatically affect reality? Like Spock was the only guy that left his planet and made any contribution of significance? And then the whole idea where a present version and a future version of Spock living together in the same plane of existence. huh?

My wife (not a big ST fan) brought up a good point. Was all that time travel stuff because you cant make a ST movie without having an Enterprise? Would you have lost that much if it was simply another ship?

They saved the entire Vulcan Science Academy.

TheUnnamedSooner
5/20/2009, 12:05 PM
yea many more times than that! oh well.. I loved the movie, and understand why they did that, but either fix it (making this movie not really "count"), or dont (making all the rest not really "count"). I know that means nothing to those who just want to go see a good movie, but my mangaged little universe inside my head is starting to rupture....

It's 2 different timelines so they both count.

BudSooner
5/20/2009, 01:14 PM

Possibly, the movie did state Spocks ship was designed by the Vulcan science council. Maybe that took place on the newly resettled planet.

Dio
5/20/2009, 01:15 PM
So what happens if the new alternate universe guys run into the old alternate universe where their evil twins all had goatees?

BudSooner
5/20/2009, 01:15 PM
They saved the entire Vulcan Science Academy.

Yeah, and somehow 10,000 in a matter of minutes...kinda hard to belive.

hellogoodbye
5/20/2009, 01:48 PM
So what happens if the new alternate universe guys run into the old alternate universe where their evil twins all had goatees?

They turn into one Spock, wearing a sweater and singing the Bilbo Bagins song. But why stop at the two? Have a couple more, one from the wayyy distant future, and then one from the almost present but not quite future. Invite them all over for some shrimp and white wine. :texan:

TAFBSooner
5/20/2009, 02:09 PM

The original series established that you can move between alternate universes. So, in ten years, are we going to see 35-year old Kirk (Pine) meet up with Kirk (Shatner)? It couldn't happen before then because Shatner didn't put on teh velour until he was 35, so there's no old video to play with.

GottaHavePride
5/20/2009, 02:37 PM
Possibly, the movie did state Spocks ship was designed by the Vulcan science council. Maybe that took place on the newly resettled planet.

Yeah, and somehow 10,000 in a matter of minutes...kinda hard to belive.

This is a lot easier than you're making it. :D

Spock's ship was designed in the original timeline on the non-destroyed Vulcan. A ship like that may or may not be built 130 years in the future in the new (alternate) timeline without a planet vulcan.

And no one says they got 10,000 Vulcans off the planet in minutes. How many Vulcans were already off-planet, maybe on Earth, maybe somewhere else doing research? ... Those are most of your 10,000 remaining Vulcans.

hellogoodbye
5/20/2009, 02:46 PM

Spock's ship was designed in the original timeline on the non-destroyed Vulcan. A ship like that may or may not be built 130 years in the future in the new (alternate) timeline without a planet vulcan.

But the ship didnt go *poof* the instant the planet got destroyed.

arrrrggghhh

Dio
5/20/2009, 03:54 PM
But the ship didnt go *poof* the instant the planet got destroyed.

arrrrggghhh

It's not a given that an object from the future would disappear if the future is altered before the item comes to exist in the original reality. That's just the Back to the Future take.

yermom
5/20/2009, 04:05 PM

And no one says they got 10,000 Vulcans off the planet in minutes. How many Vulcans were already off-planet, maybe on Earth, maybe somewhere else doing research? ... Those are most of your 10,000 remaining Vulcans.

did they say it was designed on Vulcan? i just thought it was a Federation ship

hellogoodbye
5/20/2009, 04:26 PM
It's not a given that an object from the future would disappear if the future is altered before the item comes to exist in the original reality. That's just the Back to the Future take.

Again I say arrgghhh. Seriously, I understand all that (a big SF reader), but 8 Trillion souls perished - I would think some seriously f-ed up stuff would happen in the new reality. At the very least it would be a lot more complicated than whether or not a space ship would exist.

Just fix it after a couple of movies plskthks

Dio
5/20/2009, 04:37 PM
I still say the matter that makes up Spock's ship would still exist in the time he went back to, even if the time it came from is altered beyond recognition after he makes the time jump. The ship would exist as an anomaly, and it's continued existence would continue to alter the future, but it would still exist. Kinda like existing Yugos didn't disappear when Yugoslavia did.

TAFBSooner
5/20/2009, 05:22 PM
Again I say arrgghhh. Seriously, I understand all that (a big SF reader), but 8 Trillion souls perished - I would think some seriously f-ed up stuff would happen in the new reality. At the very least it would be a lot more complicated than whether or not a space ship would exist.

By the time of say, Next Generation a lot of the history will have changed - in the new timeline. But as of the end of the movie, there hasn't been time to see lots of changes in technology or philosophy that will eventually be the result of all those super-geniuses no longer existing.

I think it's fair to say there will be no Tuvok on Voyager.

Somebody could write a great story about the effect on Vulcans
of not being able to get home to get some pron far - edit, should be pon far.

TheUnnamedSooner
5/20/2009, 06:02 PM
I think it's fair to say there will be no Tuvok on Voyager.

YAY!!

No thanks, as discussed, one thing that is great about this movie is that there are long lasting consequences. Everything is not OK and didn't get put back to normal like in every other time travel movie/episode. I'm excited to see where this new timeline takes us.

BudSooner
5/20/2009, 08:43 PM

According to what i've read from "Countdown" which was released starting in February, it was a joint venture between former Enterprise D/E chief engineer LaForge and the science council.

Perhaps i'm missing something, but I understood Spock to say that there were some 10,000 that survived it's destruction(I need to re-watch it to be sure though) and yeah....alot of planet could account for that figure.
Chekov did say they only had minutes to evacuate the planet before Spock hauled *** to the transporter room.

did they say it was designed on Vulcan? i just thought it was a Federation ship

The design of this starship was made by Geordi La Forge (http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Geordi_La_Forge) in conjunction with the Daystrom Institute (http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Daystrom_Institute) as well as the Vulcan Science Academy (http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Vulcan_Science_Academy) at some point in the 2380 (http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/2380)'s. The ship was created with the intention of being used as part of scientific as well as exploration missions. Starfleet (http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Starfleet) was working with the creators of the ship in order to determine which of the ship systems were capable of being adapted for use by the Federation. (ST (http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/ST) website (http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Website): The Path to 2409 (http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/The_Path_to_2409))

http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Jellyfish

But memory alpha is like Wiki, often full of **** btw.

AggieTool
5/20/2009, 09:05 PM
PPhhhhttttt.....

Geeks...:mad:

BudSooner
5/20/2009, 09:12 PM
PPhhhhttttt.....

:D

TAFBSooner
5/20/2009, 09:55 PM
PPhhhhttttt.....

And your point is? :D

SoonerKnight
5/21/2009, 01:02 AM
The fact that Kirk's father was killed right after he was born and that he did not serve on those other ships but went straight to the enterprise and then went straight from being an ensign to captain is a big change in the timeline. The fact that Spock is a commander and doesn't get promoted is kinda wierd. Also the very fact that Pike went from captain to admiral and never was in command of enterprise for very long means that the very beginning of the series is completely lost. I do not believe a fix is in the works. Maybe they will fix it but I think they will only break it and people will lose interest. My wife hates ST but she loved the movie and the storyline so they will probably keep it like it is and run with it.

hellogoodbye
5/21/2009, 09:13 AM
I guess I understand more the movie making\industry premise, than the black holes are time travelling tunnels woo hoo its easy and fun premise...

Its a great movie, much better crafted than most of the other ST movies. It's wierd that this one is a self inflicted bastard of ST, yet I consider it better than most of the rest of them. Whales in space omg that is a bastard.

yermom
5/21/2009, 10:53 AM
i didn't really like Star Trek IV at first, but it got better after subsequent viewings

double dumbass on you!

TheUnnamedSooner
5/21/2009, 10:55 AM

Except it wouldn't just go *poof*, it would disappear very slowly (especially if you are playing guitar) in order to give you time to fix whatever timeline problems you have created.

Frozen Sooner
5/21/2009, 11:47 AM
i didn't really like Star Trek IV at first, but it got better after subsequent viewings

double dumbass on you!

One kind of jarring thing in IV-

When Chekov escapes from custody, he's a guy with a Russian accent running around on an American warship wearing a weird costume. The klaxons are blaring and someone's yelling about an escaped spy on the loudspeaker. Yet for some reason, he runs through a corridor with a bunch of sailors in it and they just let him pass.

hellogoodbye
5/21/2009, 12:35 PM
I just now realized that this movie kind of bucks the odd-numbered ST films totally suck trend. If you buy into that trend, that is.

TAFBSooner
5/21/2009, 12:49 PM
I just now realized that this movie kind of bucks the odd-numbered ST films totally suck trend. If you buy into that trend, that is.

I think that trend went off into an alternate timeline around ST: Generations. It was good, 8 and 9 were good and OK, respectively, and Nemesis sucked. This new one is IMHO very good.

TheUnnamedSooner
5/21/2009, 01:15 PM
Yeah, I think the odd/even thing only applied to the original cast.

BudSooner
5/21/2009, 08:29 PM
One kind of jarring thing in IV-

When Chekov escapes from custody, he's a guy with a Russian accent running around on an American warship wearing a weird costume. The klaxons are blaring and someone's yelling about an escaped spy on the loudspeaker. Yet for some reason, he runs through a corridor with a bunch of sailors in it and they just let him pass.
That was funny as hell, Nuclear Wessels and the cop just glares at him.
The Hospital scene is a classic in regards to some of Bones lines.

yermom
5/21/2009, 08:32 PM
yes, that's what i said

TheUnnamedSooner
5/22/2009, 08:56 AM
My God man, drilling holes in his head isn't the answer!

Scott D
5/22/2009, 11:01 AM
heh

McCoy: You realize that by giving him the formula you're altering the future.
Scotty: Why? How do we know he didn't invent the thing?

yermom
5/22/2009, 11:03 AM
transparent Aluminum would be awesome

computer, hello. hello, computer?

hellogoodbye
5/22/2009, 11:46 AM
daggon quantum vs my precious ST canon

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnkE2yQPw6s

TheUnnamedSooner
5/22/2009, 01:12 PM
transparent Aluminum would be awesome

Apparently it is awesome if used as armor. Thanks Scotty for this technology.

http://science.howstuffworks.com/transparent-aluminum-armor.htm

http://www.nowpublic.com/tech-biz/transparent-aluminum-more-just-trekkies-pipe-dream

hellogoodbye
5/22/2009, 01:22 PM
http://www.adultswim.com/video/?episodeID=8a2505951fa3da47011fa3e1ef9e0016