PDA

View Full Version : Time Travel to past Sooner games

ouwasp
5/6/2009, 11:55 PM
When the technology becomes available, I'd pay big $$ to go back, buy a scalper's ticket, and attend...

2000 Tx, Neb, A&M
1985 Neb
1983 osu
1977 Ohio St
1976 Neb
1975 Mizzou

maybe something from the "black and white" days...

What say you....?

picasso
5/7/2009, 12:08 AM
2000 K-State.
'86 Nebraska.
'73 Texas.

starclassic tama
5/7/2009, 12:19 AM
2000, 2003 texas

Crucifax Autumn
5/7/2009, 12:43 AM
Well ****...I'd just start with the streak and hit every game! Seems like an easy answer to me!

RedstickSooner
5/7/2009, 08:24 AM
Well ****...I'd just start with the streak and hit every game! Seems like an easy answer to me!

Dude. Crucifax wins.

ouleaf
5/7/2009, 09:39 AM
2000 - Pretty much the whole season would be worth going back
Oct 2001 - Superman Play against saxeT
Aug 2003 - The game we wore the throwback uni's
Oct 2003 - Destruction of saxeT
Nov 2003 - Let 'er Rip, lol....Maybe the loudest I've ever heard our stadium
Oct 2004 - Unleashing of AD on saxeT
Dec 2004 - Beatdown on Colorado for Big XII championship
Dec 2007 - Punched Mizzou in the face
Nov 2008 - Obliteration of Tech
Dec 2008 - So much fun last year we had to do it again.

Ardmore_Sooner
5/7/2009, 09:59 AM
2000 K-State in Manhattan.

Best sporting event I've ever been to.

SoonerInFortSmith
5/7/2009, 11:55 AM
Any game the Boz played in.

picasso
5/7/2009, 11:58 AM
Any game the Boz played in.

I believe the '86 or '87 game at Iowa State. Bosworth had painted the tape on his cleats black with a marker and made them look like combat boots. that and the crowd booed him after every tackle.

I think I saw him flip 'em the bird one time.

The Remnant
5/7/2009, 11:59 AM
1973 against USC. I have to see "the return" by Little Joe.

yermom
5/7/2009, 12:04 PM
what about going back to games i was at and having a few words for Chuck Long and Mark Bradley? :O

well, that or sharing a spliff with Tebow and Harvin...

OUTrumpet
5/7/2009, 12:18 PM
I'm surprised this one hasn't been mentioned yet.

Oct. 27, 1956

OU 40, Notre Dame 0. At South Bend.

Worst loss in Notre Dame school history.

jumperstop
5/7/2009, 02:00 PM
Yeah if I could go back in time I would go to the coaches at the begining of the season and make sure to bring game tape of the whole season that has yet to be played. We would win the MNC every year, well at least come close. But if anyone found out, OU would be the futuristic time-traveling version of the Patriots...maybe that's a bad idea.

I'll just take any good Barry Switzer game then, cause he coached before I was alive.

Mad Dog Madsen
5/7/2009, 02:17 PM
I would love to travel back in time to the magical 1996-1998 years...

TheUnnamedSooner
5/7/2009, 02:22 PM
I have been fortunate enough to attend most games mentioned. However, my vote would also go to the Joe Washington return, would have loved to see that live.

Don't forget about all the returns AP had against UCLA, that was great to witness as well.

yermom
5/7/2009, 03:31 PM
that game was sick

the D and special teams scored enough points to beat UCLA's 24 :eek:

Jacie
5/7/2009, 04:52 PM
When the technology becomes available, I'd pay big $$ to go back, buy a scalper's ticket, and attend...

2000 Tx, Neb, A&M
1985 Neb
1983 osu
1977 Ohio St
1976 Neb
1975 Mizzou

maybe something from the "black and white" days...

What say you....?

I didn't have to go back, I did it in real in time . . . paid a scalpers price (a whopping $30) for a ticket to that game in the Shoe at Columbus, OH. Got to sit in the endzone where 54 of 57 points on the board were scored that day (the Sooner allotted ticket section was at the other end of the stadium). It was as wild and crazy as you can imagine a game like that could be, both teams dominating on defense when the other team was trying to move against the wind, and scoring almost at will going with the wind. And try to picture this, everyone in the stadium knew OU was going to onside kick for that final possession and still the Sooners recovered the ball. They knew OU was going to throw the ball to get into field goal range and still Blevins was able to make the crucial completions. And when von Schamann walked onto the field, the tOSU fans knew he would make it. One of them turned to me just before the snap and said, "He's the guy who kicks off for OU?" (every kick after a score had gone out of the endzone) and I just said, "Yeah."

BudSooner
5/7/2009, 09:42 PM
well, that or sharing a spliff with The Right Reverend Tim T. Messiah and Harvin...:D

badger
5/8/2009, 08:49 AM
When they invent time travel, I hope they also invent temporary memory loss so that we don't know the outcome before watching the game again :D

Since that wasn't mentioned, here are games that I'd want to do over again, even knowing the outcome:

2002 UTEP @ OU. Rain dance game! I think we won like 80-0 or so, but the best part was them having to send the team to the lockerroom while the student section danced in the rain.

2008 Texas Tech @ OU. Coach Stoops does not just coach his players. He also coaches his fans. By telling OU fans that they were not as loud as other places he's been, he effectively ensured that fans would be nothing but loud for the entire game. Jump around!

Crucifax Autumn
5/8/2009, 09:55 AM
well, that or sharing a spliff with The Right Reverend Tim T. Messiah and Harvin...

Share a bunch of 'em...right before kickoff!

jumperstop
5/8/2009, 10:03 AM
2008 *Texas* Tech @ OU. Coach Stoops does not just coach his players. He also coaches his fans. By telling OU fans that they were not as loud as other places he's been, he effectively ensured that fans would be nothing but loud for the entire game. Jump around!

One of the best games I have been too, along with 2000 Neb.

A game I haven't seen anyone mention is the 2003 Rose Bowl victory over Washington State. I wouldn't put it up there with best games ever, but I sure had a great time at that game.

badger
5/8/2009, 10:32 AM
The Rose Bowl can serve as a reminder of what can happen to your program in a short time without constant fan support, constant recruiting, constantly getting the best coaches, best facilities, best support system, etc.

One team from the 2003 Rose Bowl went to the championship last year for its final game of the season. The other battled an 0-11 team to see which of them would get to have a single conference victory for its final game of the season.

yermom
5/8/2009, 10:46 AM
The Rose Bowl can serve as a reminder of what can happen to your program in a short time without constant fan support, constant recruiting, constantly getting the best coaches, best facilities, best support system, etc.

One team from the 2003 Rose Bowl went to the championship last year for its final game of the season. The other battled an 0-11 team to see which of them would get to have a single conference victory for its final game of the season.

one team still has the same coach, the other had a ND reject and lost their coach to UTEP via Alabama and some lap dances :eek:

badger
5/8/2009, 10:49 AM
one team still has the same coach, the other had a ND reject and lost their coach to UTEP via Alabama and some lap dances :eek:

:D yeah, that too.

Just remember, fans of the fickle college football game, it could be your team next. Enjoy your successes now in whichever form they come in, because in five, six years, you, too, may be relishing your sole victory over a championship subdivision team and hoping you can beat your 0-11 "rival" whose only solace is that they should have beaten some team on a last-second drive that got flagged for excessive celebration.

SoonerInFortSmith
5/8/2009, 11:07 AM
I would go to the whoregon game and knock the replay official over the head, take over the booth, and get the call right.

King Crimson
5/8/2009, 11:16 AM
pretty much all the games i went to with my Dad from 75-88. some great OU-NU games in the mix, win or lose.

thanks Pops.

Sooner04
5/8/2009, 11:22 AM
1948 Texas
1950 Texas A&M
1956 Notre Dame
1970 OSU
1971 Kansas State
1971 Texas
1971 Nebraska
1972 Texas
1973 Texas
1973 Nebraska
1974 Nebraska
1977 Ohio State
1978 Texas
1979 Orange Bowl (Nebraska)
1980 Colorado
1982 Texas
1983 OSU
1986 Penn State
1986 Nebraska
1987 Nebraska
1988 OSU
1990 Nebraska
1993 Texas
1994 Syracuse
2000 Kansas State
2008 OSU

King Crimson
5/8/2009, 12:28 PM
2000 Kansas State

that 3rd and a million, and the hitch screen and sideline YAC we get is one of my fave plays in the Stoops era. Woolfolk?

the halfback pass in that same game is not.

Sooner04
5/8/2009, 12:57 PM
It was Savage on 3rd and 26. He made four or so guys miss with one move and then he was off to the races with no one else in view.

I was watching that game in the Bud with the rest of the redshirt freshmen who didn't get to make the trip. Pandemonium after that play. **** flying everywhere.

King Crimson
5/8/2009, 01:12 PM
It was Savage on 3rd and 26. He made four or so guys miss with one move and then he was off to the races with no one else in view.

I was watching that game in the Bud with the rest of the redshirt freshmen who didn't get to make the trip. Pandemonium after that play. **** flying everywhere.

Savage is right. Heupel got hit every play that game.....just to show, Phil Bennett blitzing the senior Josh Heupel aint gonna work. I tell you though, that KSU team was for real. Beasley was very underrated and they destroyed Tennessee in their bowl game. IMO, that may have been Snyder's best all-around team. they were a legit top 5 team, as worst.

Sooner04
5/8/2009, 01:18 PM
They laid a brachiosaurus egg down in College Station and got beat pretty handily. I think that was the same day as our showdown with Nebraska, so K-State was probably still hungover from losing to us. They were very, very good, and they certainly hit us harder and more often than anyone else we played that year.

If I hadn't been dear death from the cold, I would've been more focused on how nervous I was for that Big 12 CG game. Arrowhead was crazy that night.

The Remnant
5/8/2009, 03:42 PM
Getting back to the USC vs Olkahoma in 1973, that is probably one of the greatest returns of all time. However, very few people saw it live since OU was on probation and was banned from TV. I live in Socal and listened to the game on a USC feed. I talked to a high school friend of mine the following summer about the game since he played wide receiver for USC. He said Oklahoma was the best team that SC faced that year. This includes Notre Dame and Ohio State. Although this teams tends to get overlooked .It truly was a great team.

Sooner04
5/8/2009, 03:52 PM
I took Eschbach's Sports Journalism class in 2002. One day he had Switzer come in and talk to us. I was surrounded by rubes who were intimidated by the name 'Barry Switzer', but I'd met the Switz often enough to know the man's as cool as they get.

So, basically, I took the interview over since nobody else would ask him anything. I got a lot of my all-time OU questions answered.

For instance, his best OU team that didn't win a national title? '78.

One recruit he'd recruit differently? Earl Campbell.

Then I asked him about Little Joe's return in '73. He said the first half was winding down and that he told Little Joe to give that return all he had because the half was almost over..........just don't do anything nuts.

I then asked the Switz at what point he began to get worried. He said at about the point Little Joe was backpedaling at about the ten while holding the ball like a loaf of bread.

Then the King got a little animated. He's pointing right at me and says, "and if Little Joe gets one damned block he takes that thing to the house!"

Absolutely one of the highlights of my life, that day was.

olevetonahill
5/8/2009, 03:57 PM
A REAL OU football fan would want to go back and watch every dayum Game from the beginning
jes sayin:D

King Crimson
5/8/2009, 04:46 PM
in asterisk land, 78 OU wins the NC. they were the only team in the NCAA to beat every team on their schedule.

Sooner24
5/8/2009, 11:06 PM
They laid a brachiosaurus egg down in College Station and got beat pretty handily. I think that was the same day as our showdown with Nebraska, so K-State was probably still hungover from losing to us. They were very, very good, and they certainly hit us harder and more often than anyone else we played that year.

If I hadn't been dear death from the cold, I would've been more focused on how nervous I was for that Big 12 CG game. Arrowhead was crazy that night.

RUSHINNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNG

:D

Sooner24
5/8/2009, 11:07 PM
If I could only pick one game it would be the 1986 Nebraska game. I have watched the last five minutes of that game so many times it's crazy.

picasso
5/8/2009, 11:45 PM
one of my golfing buddy's played safety for oSu against us in '70 as a true frosh.
great story Brando. funny thing about that Little Joe USC return is after he got through the first wave, his blockers got caught up watching him instead of actually blocking. he was one push away from breaking that one.

soonerinkeywest
5/9/2009, 01:15 AM
1987 "Our house" game in Lincloln..I was 7 years old and it was the first game I truly watched.Watching Collins run down that sideline was my first true taste of what it was to be A Sooner fan.Although I wished I hadn't been a late bloomer because that 86 game was amazing!There are several others but I guess 87 will always be special to me..with all the Trash the Huskers were talking!

The Remnant
5/9/2009, 03:56 PM
ditto olevetonahill

Crucifax Autumn
5/9/2009, 11:46 PM
As long as we're fantasizing can the time machine also be a keg and turn us invisible?

An invisible time traveler with a good drunk on could not only fix the Oregon and Tech things, but also give us Alabama style MNC totals!

Sooner04
5/10/2009, 02:10 PM
one of my golfing buddy's played safety for oSu against us in '70 as a true frosh. I think your buddy is full of ****. Freshmen weren't eligible until '72. :)

Maybe that's why O-State was so bad back then. They were playing freshmen. Maybe that's why we beat them 66-6 that year.

picasso
5/10/2009, 02:16 PM
well it was '72 then. The funny thing is he never started again after his frosh season.

ya dork.

CrimsonJim
5/10/2009, 07:05 PM
A REAL OU football fan would want to go back and watch every dayum Game from the beginning

AMEN, bro! AMEN! I'd love to see each and every one of them all over again.

Pricelesssssss

Sooner04
5/10/2009, 07:38 PM
Yeah, I've got interest in sitting through the '97 eATMe game again. Or the '96 Nebraska game.

CrimsonJim
5/10/2009, 08:12 PM
Meeeeee toooooo!

olevetonahill
5/10/2009, 08:16 PM
Even those ;)

Vaevictis
5/10/2009, 08:29 PM

I dunno, I saw almost all of the games from 1994-1997.

I don't think I need to see them again.

olevetonahill
5/10/2009, 08:33 PM

Since its a Fantasy of Time Travel I bet you could pick and choose don't you ?;)

Vaevictis
5/10/2009, 08:33 PM
On the other hand, without having sat through those games, you wouldn't get quite the euphoric surge from the 2000 season. So maybe you would want to see them anyway.

I've never seen a group of fans so happy just to be there as the 2000 Orange Bowl.

olevetonahill
5/10/2009, 08:34 PM
On the other hand, without having sat through those games, you wouldn't get quite the euphoric surge from the 2000 season. So maybe you would want to see them anyway.

I've never seen a group of fans so happy just to be there as the 2000 Orange Bowl.

Now you larnin :D

CrimsonJim
5/10/2009, 08:36 PM

Hindsight: If I would have been at the games between '94-'97, I would have my own season tickets right now. :(

Vaevictis
5/10/2009, 08:37 PM
Yeah, that's when my father picked up his. Luckily, he was smart enough to pick up extras, so he can always bring two guests to the game. Usually, I'm one of them.