PDA

View Full Version : Big 12 tells mack to play a tougher schedule and STFU!

Collier11
5/6/2009, 10:03 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/story/11715819

Big 12 coaches reject proposal to change tiebreaker
May 6, 2009
CBSSports.com wire reports

PHOENIX -- Big 12 coaches have rejected a proposal to change the controversial tiebreaker that gave Oklahoma the nod over Texas in the three-way tie in the Big 12 South last season.

Meeting at a resort on Wednesday, they voted to keep the Bowl Championship Series standings as the method to break ties between more than two teams. Under that rule, the Sooners edged the Longhorns by 13 thousandths of a point in December.

The coaches had considered adopting a three-team tiebreaker that would eliminate the lowest-ranked team in the BCS standings, then go to the head-to-head result of the remaining two teams. If that had been in place last year, Texas Tech would have been eliminated, and Texas would have emerged as the division champion because it had defeated Oklahoma.

"The tiebreaker system we had was felt, by the majority of coaches, to be appropriate to what we want to accomplish," commissioner Dan Beebe said. "There's risks in either one. We had one risk last year."

The coaches' recommendation will go to Big 12 athletic directors, who may still change the tiebreaker.

Beebe said the coaches decided to stick with the BCS standings as a tiebreaker because of the national title implications. Under the rejected tiebreaker, it's possible that a fifth-ranked team could earn the nod because of a victory over a team ranked No. 1 or 2 -- and that might cost the Big 12 a shot at the national title.

"The motive is to give the best chance for a team to play in the national championship," Beebe said. "Obviously, we had a scenario (in 2008), hopefully we'll never have that again."

Last fall, the wild Big 12 South ended in a three-way tie between Oklahoma, Texas and Texas Tech.

Oklahoma defeated Texas Tech, which defeated Texas, which defeated Oklahoma, leaving all three teams with a claim to the division crown.

It came down to the fifth tiebreaker, and Oklahoma won out, earning a berth in the Big 12 championship game against Missouri.

Oklahoma finished a single point ahead of Texas in the coaches' poll and six points behind the Longhorns in the Harris Poll. That left it to the computer ratings, and the Sooners came out on top in four of the six.

The Sooners beat the Tigers for the Big 12 title and went on to play Florida in the BCS national championship game.

Texas was left playing Ohio State in the Fiesta Bowl.

Copyright 2009 by STATS LLC and The Associated Press. Any commercial use or distribution without the express written consent of STATS LLC and The Associated Press is strictly prohibited.

yermom
5/6/2009, 10:15 PM
haha

OUstud
5/7/2009, 12:09 AM
"Controversial" tiebreaker my ***...it's the fairest way to solve a 3-way tie outside of a round-robin. And plus, I doubt we'll ever see a situation like this again anyway.

Oh, and Texas still sucks. That is all.

AlbqSooner
5/7/2009, 06:18 AM
http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/story/11715819

Big 12 coaches reject proposal to change tiebreaker
May 6, 2009
CBSSports.com wire reports

PHOENIX --

The coaches' recommendation will go to Big 12 athletic directors, who may still change the tiebreaker.

So I guess some pilot will be making some Texas money flying a banner at the meeting of athletic directors. :D

Theskipster
5/7/2009, 07:38 AM
How much pull has Texas lost in the Big 12? Especially with Stoops, Mangino, Leach, Pelini, and Snyder coaching in the conference.

IowaSooner26
5/7/2009, 08:15 AM
Oklahoma defeated *Texas* Tech, which defeated *Texas*, which defeated Oklahoma, leaving all three teams with a claim to the division crown.

:texan: When did this happen? /:texan:

RedstickSooner
5/7/2009, 08:23 AM
Why are we starring both sides of Tejas and Mack?

The asterisk should just go to the right -- otherwise it looks like we're *emphasizing* the team. Which seems, y'know, like something we wouldn't want to do.

Just putting my two cents in. If the rest of you prefer it this way, I won't raise a fuss.

Collier11
5/7/2009, 09:17 AM
Oklahoma defeated **Texas** Tech, which defeated **Texas**, which defeated Oklahoma, leaving all three teams with a claim to the division crown.

last year, read it again

BornandBred
5/7/2009, 09:23 AM
Why are we starring both sides of Tejas and *Mack*?

The asterisk should just go to the right -- otherwise it looks like we're *emphasizing* the team. Which seems, y'know, like something we wouldn't want to do.

Just putting my two cents in. If the rest of you prefer it this way, I won't raise a fuss.

I actually prefer Tex*, C*lt, and Mac*. But I didn't think it was up for vote.

rainiersooner
5/7/2009, 09:41 AM

I second that vote!

badger
5/7/2009, 09:42 AM
I wonder if the Big 12 was tired of Macc's whining or it had anything to do with the fact that Bob has more coaching pedigree in the conference than Macc?

I mean, who of Macc's former assistants coaches in the Big 12 now? Gene Chizik? Pbbbth - we all know he waltzed on outta Iowa State to coach in Auuuburrrrn!

It would be interesting to see how the vote went and who voted for or against.

SouthFortySooner
5/7/2009, 10:43 AM
Did anyone mention they should beat Tixass Tech also?

jumperstop
5/7/2009, 02:15 PM

I third that...

As for the tiebreaker, they got it right. It makes no sense in the world that in a THREE WAY TIE that you should only consider two teams. I heard ol' Pat Jones on the radio this morning saying this was bad, and that if the tiebreaker went the other way OU fans would have been pissed. Maybe...but I stand by my word, even if comes back to bite us in the a** next year. It's the only fair way in my opinion.

CobraKai
5/7/2009, 03:03 PM
Why is it OK to use the BCS standings to eliminate the bottom team, but it is not OK to use the BCS standings to pick the top team?

yermom
5/7/2009, 03:49 PM
this rule is the best for the Big 12

i mean what if Texas wouldn't have been so close in the rankings? say they were 4th or 5th instead of 3rd and went to play Mizzou. if they don't win convincingly enough they could end up not going to Miami and costing the Big 12 millions of dollars

LRoss
5/7/2009, 04:19 PM
CobraKai has it, in my opinion. The other argument seems to come down to this:

"Using the BCS standings to eliminate a lower ranked team is completely illegitimate! Unless we first use the BCS standings to eliminate a lower ranked team, of course."

That said, I don't really care -- it's a three-way tie, and it has to be broken somehow. "On the field" obviously didn't do it, or there wouldn't be a three-way tie! So pick a system, use it, and live with the results. Not saying I wouldn't be upset if it gone one of the two other ways, but don't complain about the rules after the game's over.

Now, why is clear-thinking in this issue STILL so hard to come by? Was that so hard?

gotpoi73
5/7/2009, 05:42 PM
now will the whorns finally shut their bevo holes up once and for all? doubt it. cobrakai does have it right. sweep the leg!

soonervegas
5/7/2009, 05:49 PM
The only thing that could make this any sweeter is a win on October 17th 2009. Talk about some angry Horns.

bluedogok
5/7/2009, 08:39 PM
Oklahoma defeated **Texas** Tech, which defeated **Texas**, which defeated Oklahoma, leaving all three teams with a claim to the division crown.

last year, read it again
I think IS26 is alluding to the fact the the Whorns last year tried to forget that they lost to Tech in all the talk of the "tie".

Collier11
5/7/2009, 09:29 PM
ah, my sarcasm detector was on low :(

Sooner98
5/7/2009, 09:31 PM
I actually wish they would have changed the tiebreaker rule to fit Texas's liking, and then next year, the scenario that played out would have left Texas out AGAIN. That would have been absolutely glorious.

Crucifax Autumn
5/7/2009, 10:24 PM
That was my wish, but tellin' 'em that last year was perfectly legit is good too.

Jacie
5/8/2009, 05:55 AM
Preserving the status quo is more in-your-face sa*et than changing it, which would have validated their argument that it should have been them not us go to the Big XII CG.

sooner n houston
5/8/2009, 07:44 AM
From reading hornfans, their still hoping the AD's will change it. :D

MichiganSooner
5/8/2009, 07:50 AM
It still boils down to this........Texas Sucks.

badger
5/8/2009, 08:27 AM
From reading hornfans, their still hoping the AD's will change it. :D

I think everyone else can see that something like this will not happen often. Mind you, this was the fifth tiebreaker and it was determined by 17 thousandths. Stuff like this has never happened in the history of the Big 12 and likely will not happen again for another 20 years.

I know we were upset in 2007 when BCS tiebreakers somehow determined that we were not as worthy of a championship game berth as two-loss tigahs, but this BCS system is setup to reward two teams and disappoint the rest... but hey, losses should be discouraged right? What would we be teaching these kids if they only had to be disappointed in losses immediately after the loss? Let's teach everyone an important life lesson that LOSING IS BAD by making schools hate losing even more by punishing losses via the BCS :D

SoonerInFortSmith
5/8/2009, 09:35 AM
Maybe the Texass players played in one of those little league soccer leagues where they don't keep score or have a winner and loser. Maybe that's why they can't handle it.

Crucifax Autumn
5/8/2009, 09:44 AM
Maybe the *Texas*s players played in one of those little league soccer leagues where they don't keep score or have a winner and loser. Maybe that's why they can't handle it.

This crap drives me crazy though it helps keep my job afloat.

It's bad enough wehn we make little 4 inch trophies for every kid on a losing record soccer team, but I've had to make 12 inch plus trophies for teams that lost every game.

Yeah...I think those kids are already being recruited by mack

BornandBred
5/8/2009, 09:55 AM
The first trophy I ever got was a "competition" trophy, not one for doing anything well. When I figured that out, I threw it away.

badger
5/8/2009, 09:58 AM
The first trophy I ever got was a "competition" trophy, not one for doing anything well. When I figured that out, I threw it away.

At least yours was a trophy - they gave us girls "participation ribbons" :D

BornandBred
5/8/2009, 10:00 AM
Ribbons are pretty.

badger
5/8/2009, 10:05 AM
Ribbons are pretty.

Our participation ribbons were green and yellow, like Baylor colors... how coincidental... at least baylor's participation ribbons come in the form of an annual bowl payout check via the conference :D

Collier11
5/8/2009, 10:10 AM
baylor invented the bailout, they receive one every year

bluedogok
5/8/2009, 08:20 PM
Maybe the *Texas*s players played in one of those little league soccer leagues where they don't keep score or have a winner and loser. Maybe that's why they can't handle it.
Like the guy with the comment in the Austin paper about Gov. Perry's secession talk a few weeks ago, it Texas secedes and becomes their own nation, then they could win a "national championship" every year :D

goingoneight
5/8/2009, 11:38 PM
"I used to play sports... until I figured out you can buy trophies... now I'm good at everything!"

-Demetri Martin

CrimsonJim
5/9/2009, 01:48 AM
Preserving the status quo is more in-your-face sa*et than changing it, which would have validated their argument that it should have been them not us go to the Big XII CG.

Ditto