PDA

View Full Version : Are we getting to far away from force-feeding our playmakers?

SoonerShay
5/6/2009, 03:49 PM
Ever since the 2006 season I would say I've noticed a trend with us being more balanced. Balance is great and it can keeps the other team guessing but sometimes I think it backfires on us. I could be completely wrong about this and I want some healthy debate if I'm off base.

There were times during the years we would ride the gravy train when it was hot. At home against Tulsa in 2005 we let AD secure us a victory, when he racked up over 200 yards rushing and had that gallop for the ages on 4th down. He was a playmaker and the more you get him the ball, the more likely something special will happen.

In 2002 at texass Griffin was beasting and Hybl was having a horrible game. So we hooked the offense up to Griffins trailer and hitched a ride on it. He led us to victory that day with the way he was playing.

There are numerous times during the Stoops year where we let the hot player go beserk in a game to ensure a victory. I won't go into naming them all but I named those to prove a point.

This past year and the 2007 year we seem to have gotten away from this sort of thinking. Part was because in some games our best playmaker was actually injured and in others I have no idea why.

Colorado 2007, we're in enemy territory the game is getting tight. OUr best receiver Kelly hasn't had 1 ball thrown his way the entire game. Say what you want about his attitude but when you throw him the ball he can make things happen, even if he was covered. Instead Iglesias, who has skills but when it comes to being clutch falls short, was getting passes and batting them in the air.

Then of course the most recent one, the BCS game from last year. We were missing one of our biggest playmakers no doubt in Murray but we had one on the field in Gresham. At the end of the year Gresham was becoming extremely clutch. In the first half against osu they couldn't stop him. The same thing was happening in the BCSCG against UF. They had no answer from Gresham, yet for some reason we didn't ride him in this game. UF on the other hand was having problems and started force feeding us alot of Tebow and Harvin.

Does anyone else see the same thing that I am or am I just a crazy fan?

BornandBred
5/6/2009, 03:52 PM
To pile on:

Gresham was clutch inside the 10 all year long. Yet, when we were stopped on the GL in the MNC, I don't remember a pass going his way. Was he covered? I dunno, maybe. But CB off left tackle doesn't even give us the option.

My Opinion Matters
5/6/2009, 04:30 PM
Isn't it common knowledge that play-calling cost us the most recent MNC?

Collier11
5/6/2009, 04:33 PM
1st I would say colorado is a bad example just because you had a fresh qb and he found a safety net with iggy and it was probaly more on SB than the playcalling.
2nd, I would agree with you somewhat. I remember at Oregon before the fiasco AD took that game over, 188 yds rushing in the 2nd half or something like that and I do think Gresham should have caught more passes in the MNC last year

I just dont know if there is a way to truly measure this because of the defensive calls by the other team, what our coaches are trying to accomplish, etc.

I will say this, I expect Gresham to catch no less than 80 passes this year

soonerfan28
5/6/2009, 05:11 PM
CB's not flashy but I could see him being that guy in 09. He's workhorse who has had no major injuries. I do think that even though we may have a lot of really good TB's that when one guy gets hot we need to let him play the game. I think in college and in the NFL too much has been made of playing two or multiple TB's equally. I know that the benefit is you keep you guys from getting worn down throughout the season, but I think we have pushed it a lot since AD left.

SoonerInFortSmith
5/6/2009, 09:04 PM
No sense in saving our backs/trying to keep them from getting worn down b/c recent history shows they have a good chance of finishing the season injured anyway. Use them while you can.

Theskipster
5/7/2009, 08:06 AM
Isn't it common knowledge that play-calling cost us the most recent MNC?

No. Because it wasn't. For example, the goal line issue was one missed block by a lineman away from an easy score. The right call was in place, but the players just didn't execute.

The coaching was excellent that game on offense and defense.

RedstickSooner
5/7/2009, 08:20 AM
I always preferred our playcalling and offense in 2003, when the run game just wasn't working, and we went to a pretty much all-out aerial attack. Guess it's why I'm a fan of the Mike Leach philosophy -- if it works, keep doing it 'til it doesn't.

It's easy to outthink yourself on offense. All that being said, I'm happy with Kevin Wilson calling plays and with what he's done to our offense in general. Maybe he's not perfect, but I think he's the best OC we've had since Heupel was calling plays at the line in 2000.

rainiersooner
5/7/2009, 09:44 AM
If I remember correctly, it was CB and our running game that got us down to the goal line against Florida, so they were going with what was hot in that series.

The Remnant
5/7/2009, 12:01 PM
When I first saw this on the screen, I thought you were discussing breast feeding.

My Opinion Matters
5/7/2009, 03:02 PM
No. Because it wasn't. For example, the goal line issue was one missed block by a lineman away from an easy score. The right call was in place, but the players just didn't execute.

The coaching was excellent that game on offense and defense.

Ahh, thanks for setting us all straight on that, Coach Lombardi.

Collier11
5/7/2009, 03:06 PM
Ahh, thanks for setting us all straight on that, Coach Lombardi.

So him calling the playcalling good makes him a know it all but you saying the playcalling was bad makes you...?

Jello Biafra
5/7/2009, 03:23 PM
if i understand our offense, i think they change the play AFTER the see what defense is on the field... THEN, the play is up to the QB...

we played a hella game BUT there were a few forces in that game that sam didn't NEED to make. after he made them and paid the price for it, he became gunshy at least in my opinion. after you throw into double coverage a few times and the defense has eaten you up for it, you certainly don't do it too often after that.

florida kept a linebacker in the zone where gresham was to be hit and then had a safety (i think) step up to cover him essentially doubling him everytime he stepped off the line of scrimmage.

the way you beat that, hit the hb out of the backfield...we couldn't and they won. flordia was a good team. we're fine and sam was a sophmore...you know how many div 1 schools don't have a SENIOR qb that plays that well? not many.

i still think we make 20 more yards in rushing and make them punt one more time, we win that game.

starclassic tama
5/8/2009, 01:18 PM
if we fed our playmakers there would be a thread wondering why we don't spread the ball around more

rainiersooner
5/8/2009, 01:43 PM
Indeed.

stoops the eternal pimp
5/8/2009, 02:01 PM
its hard for me to find fault in a offense that scored more points than anybody else has

Collier11
5/8/2009, 02:12 PM
its hard for me to find fault in a offense that scored more points than anybody else has

Not Florida :eek: :mad: :(

Sooner04
5/8/2009, 02:23 PM
We didn't execute in the Orange Bowl. That's it. What if Enrique doesn't drop the pass that hits him in the hands instead of letting it slip away for a pick? Our offense is beyond fine. It's a juggernaut.

Just execute.

soonervegas
5/8/2009, 02:28 PM
It's my opinion that we are getting too far away from the Blake years. People are forgetting what actual "problems" are.....

Theskipster
5/8/2009, 03:13 PM
We didn't execute in the Orange Bowl. That's it. What if Enrique doesn't drop the pass that hits him in the hands instead of letting it slip away for a pick? Our offense is beyond fine. It's a juggernaut.

Just execute.

Enrique Iglecias:
http://www.theskipster.com/images/enrique.jpg

Juaquin Iglecias:
http://www.theskipster.com/images/juaquin.jpg

Slight difference

Collier11
5/8/2009, 03:38 PM
wow, get your mind out of the gutter 04'

Sooner04
5/8/2009, 03:46 PM
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y258/KingpinPadre/worffrustration.gif

you know, that WAS the joke, fellas.

stoops the eternal pimp
5/8/2009, 03:55 PM
who is this iglecias?

Scott D
5/8/2009, 05:53 PM
well ****, why not add a pic of Julio Iglasias just so we can all be absolutely sure.

goingoneight
5/8/2009, 06:58 PM
Malcom Keller
Allen Peterson
DeMarcus Moran ? :confused: ?
Sam Bradley
Joe Jon Gresham
Quentin Griffey :D
Reggie Kelly
Brady Eldridge
Macklack (Clapp)
Wickline Iguana (yes, he said it...)
Nic Harrison
Curtis Reynolds
Brett Rhomar
... and my friend just reminded me of that RB Chris Murphy we had last year.

What's funny is this... never do I remember Bob stuttering these names:
Ibiloye
Onyenegecha
Dvoracek
Heupel
Ontei (Jones)

... or thine enemy:
Bobino
Muckelroy
Limas Sweed
Pogi

badger
5/9/2009, 08:15 AM
It's not Wilson's fault our Oline couldn't execute in the first half and our WRs couldn't in the second.

CrimsonJim
5/9/2009, 12:01 PM
You tell 'em how it is, badger!! :)

starclassic tama
5/9/2009, 03:27 PM
It's not Wilson's fault our Oline couldn't execute in the first half and our WRs couldn't in the second.

this is correct

goingoneight
5/10/2009, 11:56 PM
Seriously... any of these three things happen and we're looking at either an overtime-easque or COMPLETELY different outcome altogether.

1. Manny Johnson secures the pass that hits him right on the hands in the endzone.
Result: popped up for grabs five times before Major Wright secures it.

2. The seal block is made on the goal line for Chris Brown...
Result: it gets missed twice. Once off the right, once on the left.

3. Juaqin Iglesias catches a deep post for once.
Result: the perfectly-thrown pass pops off of his hands and into the UF DB's belly. If that catch is made, or at worst knocked down... we're in a helluva lot better shape. This play killed the team mentally. After this, the defense fell off the wagon and surrendered a time-consuming TD drive to ice the game.

Am I knocking the players? No. Sh*t happens. My only question is why we went to JI on a deep post? He never in his career caught a contested deep post like MK, Brandon Jones or even his teammate QC. He was a perimeter WR and a possession WR... amny different talents, but how this was never noted was beyond me. Can't believe I'd ever say this, but that shoulda been Chaney on that assignment. Oh, well... maybe JI was the only guy who confidently told Coach Wilson, I'll do it, when the call was deep. If that's the case, or not even close, it is what it is...