PDA

View Full Version : Golloway revisited...

Collier11
5/6/2009, 12:41 PM
just cus its fun :D so take out all biases against him as a person :D and be fair in your assesment :D

This is Golloways 4th full season and 5th overall, he is 162-93 with a 63.5% winning percentage thus far. He has taken us to the tourney every year, pretty much saved a sinking team his 1st year after Cochell got fired, finished ranked in the top 10 in 06, gotten big time recruiting classes every year, and got within 1 win of the CWS in 06.

2005 12-6 regional appearance
2006 45-22 Super Regional game 3 loss to #1 Rice
2007 34-24 regional appearance
2008 36-26-1 regional final
2009 35-15 thus far, top 20 team all year

My questions are these;
1) Do you think he is doing a good job
2) Is this where you expect the OU program to be
3) Has he elevated the program or fallen below standards

I personally have always defended him, I think he is a helluva coach, cocky which I like, and my only complaint is that our bullpen has never been very good under him

oumartin
5/6/2009, 01:11 PM
I know many on here personally hate him but I think OU could have done worse and in the situation that was Cochell, Galloway and Stephenson I'm not sure it could have been salvaged any other way.

Now, there are probably better coaches/managers of the game but he does get results. If he were coaching in the Big 8 I'm certain there would be a higher winning percentage. Its just tough in the big 12.

Jello Biafra
5/6/2009, 02:10 PM
I know many on here personally hate him but I think OU could have done worse and in the situation that was Cochell, Galloway and Stephenson I'm not sure it could have been salvaged any other way.

Now, there are probably better coaches/managers of the game but he does get results. If he were coaching in the Big 8 I'm certain there would be a higher winning percentage. Its just tough in the big 12.

i think he would be able to coach more clearly if he wasn't worried about that dead caterpillar under his nose.

soonerguild
5/6/2009, 04:31 PM
I really like him as our coach. I know a lot of people don't, but I've always been on his side, for a number of reasons.

1) when he was at ORU, I remember them killing us one year in the postseason at the brick
2) I think fans underestimate sometimes how big it is when a coach is at his end job, and Galloway isn't going to leave for anything, which is big to me.
3) we are alot better team and a lot better to watch then we were under Larry, I love larry, he won us a ship, but we were consistantly worse year after year.
4) and finally, the whole he is a jerk argument to me doesn't mean anything. It is common knowledge that baseball players are jerks. Just the other day i was hearing on the radio how MLB players are worse to cover than any other sport. Baseball guys are all cocky arrogant players, heck I was when I played in HS. So to me the fact he is a jerk probably helps in recruiting(sarcasim).

I hope he is here for a while,
I do agree about the bullpen though, unfortunately I will never forget will savage, and its not a good thing I am remembering him for.

Boomer.....
5/6/2009, 04:50 PM
I think he is doing a good job. I wasn't very high on him when he was hired but he has surprised me. We are doing much better than predicted this year, so hopefully we will make a CWS soon.

Collier11
5/6/2009, 05:02 PM
next year we will be loaded as long as everyone doesnt leave for the draft

soonerguild
5/6/2009, 05:21 PM
next year we will be loaded as long as everyone doesnt leave for the draft

problem is with baseball that is a bigger "if" than it is in most other sports, with there being so many more rounds. But yeah, we have a chance to be really really good next year!

Fingers are definately crossed.

SoonerInFortSmith
5/6/2009, 09:22 PM
I am pleased thus far.
I have a hunch that this could be that CWS year for us. We just need a few hot bats and a little SOONER MAGIC. Its not only for football folks.

setem
5/6/2009, 10:10 PM
As a person? I really don't care much for him, that is because I have heard nothing but terrible things about how he treats the players and is just a dick in general.

As far as coaching is concerned. He is doing a good job. He keeps the guys motivated, they have lost some games this year that they never should have lost. No one quit this year, so that is a plus! He has produced some good recruiting classes and the guys have bought into his game plan and that is the main goal of a coach. You get the guys on board and that makes your job so much easier and think that is why the guys have been doing so well. We still have not caught on fire and I hope this Bedlam series is the the spark we need.

Baseball is a series of streaks. It is all about who gets hot at the right time. If he can get these guys to push through Bedlam and B12 tournament then he has done his job.

Collier11
5/6/2009, 10:15 PM
As a person? I really don't care much for him, that is because I have heard nothing but terrible things about how he treats the players and is just a dick in general.

This wasnt even what the thread was about if you had read my initial post, but since you brought it up...why does he consistently get top 20 recruiting classes when he is such a unbearable prick? Guess what, alot of coaches are pricks. I think this argument and excuse is way overblown

As far as coaching is concerned. He is doing a good job. He keeps the guys motivated, they have lost some games this year that they never should have lost. No one quit this year, so that is a plus! He has produced some good recruiting classes and the guys have bought into his game plan and that is the main goal of a coach. You get the guys on board and that makes your job so much easier and think that is why the guys have been doing so well. We still have not caught on fire and I hope this OU-OSU series is the the spark we need.

Baseball is a series of streaks. It is all about who gets hot at the right time. If he can get these guys to push through OU-OSU and B12 tournament then he has done his job.

Lets hope so, I want to beat the sh*t out of the pokes

SOONER STEAKER
5/6/2009, 11:07 PM
UT sweeps us, KU loses to us in extra innings or we would have gotten swept by KU. I'll cast my vote after bedlam and the A&M series. Finishing 5th in the Big 12 isn't what we want at OU is it?

Were we laque in talent is on the hill. SG needs to go get California pitchers like Larry did. TX kids are good, but California kids are well seasoned to play Big 12 ball and they have proven to be a cut above many of the pitchers we get from OK and TX. Did you see KU pitchers, all were throwing 88 or better and the majority were from California.

Like I said, I'll cast my vote after Bedlam and A&M series.

Sooner24
5/6/2009, 11:29 PM
UT sweeps us, KU loses to us in extra innings or we would have gotten swept by KU. I'll cast my vote after OU-OSU and the A&M series. Finishing 5th in the Big 12 isn't what we want at OU is it?

Were we laque in talent is on the hill. SG needs to go get California pitchers like Larry did. TX kids are good, but California kids are well seasoned to play Big 12 ball and they have proven to be a cut above many of the pitchers we get from OK and TX. Did you see KU pitchers, all were throwing 88 or better and the majority were from California.

Like I said, I'll cast my vote after OU-OSU and A&M series.

Quit making up new words. :pop:

setem
5/6/2009, 11:37 PM
UT sweeps us, KU loses to us in extra innings or we would have gotten swept by KU. I'll cast my vote after OU-OSU and the A&M series. Finishing 5th in the Big 12 isn't what we want at OU is it?

I too will cast my see..er..I mean vote after Bedlam!

Ardmore_Sooner
5/7/2009, 12:28 AM

Hey there you are! Didn't hear from ya when any game threads were going on or when we were playing really well. I guess some things are too good to be true. :rolleyes:

jadubya
5/7/2009, 12:04 PM

Hmmm....2 sides to that coin, Streaker.

How many 1 run games have WE lost? We barely beat KU...but we have plenty of other games in which the other team BARELY beat us as well.

If you are going to say that we were 1 run away from getting swept...then we were also 1 run away from sweeping Mizzou, 1 run away from winning the KU series, and 1 run away from beating Arkansas at Fville.

What were expectations for this team - this year? LOL Seriously, NOBODY anticipated just how strong the Big 12 is this year.

C&CDean
5/7/2009, 12:28 PM
The only people I know who actually think Sunny is a prick are people who know people who have known some other people that say their brother-in-law played for him once in Shawnee or some such horse****.

I don't personally know anyone who think he's a dick - except 1TC, and well, he's a dick his own self so he don't count.

jadubya
5/7/2009, 03:24 PM
The only people I know who actually think Sunny is a prick are people who know people who have known some other people that say their brother-in-law played for him once in Shawnee or some such horse****.

I don't personally know anyone who think he's a dick - except 1TC, and well, he's a dick his own self so he don't count.

/\ This.

Sooner24
5/7/2009, 04:37 PM

I guess he's a banned dick at that.

C&CDean
5/7/2009, 06:11 PM
I guess he's a banned dick at that.

A dick in the ban beats a dick in the hand...

I got nothin'.

Big Red Ron
5/10/2009, 02:11 PM
I love being right. So, you haters from 2006, how would you like your crow served?

KC//CRIMSON
5/10/2009, 04:24 PM
I love being right. So, you haters from 2006, how would you like your crow served?

We're still waiting for you to show your face in the South Oval. Your crow is getting cold....

JohnnyMack
5/10/2009, 10:34 PM

Dude. WTF? Scared of the SO? Come on back you girl.

Ardmore_Sooner
5/10/2009, 11:05 PM
Keep yalls stupid politics off this board.

badger
5/11/2009, 09:53 AM
Dean, I've also heard people say that Sonny is a d*ck, but I've heard the same people say that all baseball players can be d*cks and quite frankly, if I only had a 25 percent scholly when the other major sports get 100 percent, I might act like a d*ck too :D

I just googled the thread from last year to reveal that I voted that Sonny needed to go because I thought we wouldn't make the postseason, but then we did after a good showing against Texaz... so then I posted in the thread later that I would change my vote if I could, because they showed fight in the tourney with their at-large bid.

I really, really wish I could have been at Drillers Stadium this weekend, but I had family stuff Friday night... the one time I might have preferred living in OKC.

SOONER STEAKER
5/11/2009, 12:26 PM
After this weekend I have improved SG's grade to a solid B, he can earn a B+ if he can win the A&M series. At the same time, he can drop to a C if he finsihes behind MU and KU which is down right deplorable with the recruiting advantage that OU has over KU & MU.

KC//CRIMSON
5/11/2009, 01:30 PM
Keep yalls stupid politics off this board.

You shut your whorish mouth!

badger
5/11/2009, 01:41 PM
:O so I will now meekly chirp in that if you google "sunny galloway" (remember that it ain't SONNY, it's SUNNY) you will get sf.com's original thread and something else that shall not be mentioned.

It is amazing that after all of this time, the most sought after Sunny Galloway news is on soonerfans.com several years ago (and the thread got locked!). I wonder if this is a good or bad sign.

jadubya
5/11/2009, 08:50 PM
After this weekend I have improved SG's grade to a solid B, he can earn a B+ if he can win the A&M series. At the same time, he can drop to a C if he finsihes behind MU and KU which is down right deplorable with the recruiting advantage that OU has over KU & MU.

Again, I am waiting to find out what Streaker's expectations were for this team at the start of the year. What would get an A? If you are gonna give the man a "B" for performance thus far, then please tell us where the team is underperforming.:confused:

Question: Does Texas have a recruiting advantage over KSU? Does Texas have a recruiting advantage of KU? UT went 0-5-1 against those 2 schools this year in the Big 12.

Your KU/MU line ain't holding water, bub.

Ardmore_Sooner
5/12/2009, 12:42 PM
jadubya, STEAKER frequents the board after losses and bad outings only. This team could go undefeated and he would still criticize something about SG and the team.

If you don't believe me, go back and check his previous posts on the baseball board. I did it, and trust me, the proof is in the pudding. Not one post in a OU/Baylor thread or any other thread where we won a midweek game or a series.

Collier11
5/12/2009, 12:51 PM
he is a glass all the way empty type of guy

Big Red Ron
5/12/2009, 03:42 PM
We're still waiting for you to show your face in the South Oval. Your crow is getting cold....

that post was the first time I've been on here in months. Some drunk ******* slammed me going about 100 mph. I have nerve damage in both arms / hands / thorasic and cervical spine and am facing a few more surgeries and a lifetime of pain and handicappedness. You stupid liberal piece of crap.

So, your Boy squeeked out a win good for you and the 3 other liberals over there. Enjoy your tax increases over the next two years.

KC//CRIMSON
5/12/2009, 03:48 PM
that post was the first time I've been on here in months. Some drunk ******* slammed me going about 100 mph. I have nerve damage in both arms / hands / thorasic and cervical spine and am facing a few more surgeries and a lifetime of pain and handicappedness. You stupid liberal piece of crap.

So, your Boy squeeked out a win good for you and the 3 other liberals over there. Enjoy your tax increases over the next two years.

Actually, you've been on the board several times after the election. I'm glad to see your sense of humor is still intact.

Rest easy, you ole bastard.

Big Red Ron
5/12/2009, 03:57 PM
You're mistaken, as usual. I had to get a new password sent like a week before that post because, I couldn't remember it. Check with the mods if you like. I was back the first couple of days after but logged off and forgot my password.

Then I got sorta sidetracked.

Collier11
5/12/2009, 03:57 PM
SO please

SoonerInFortSmith
5/12/2009, 05:06 PM
This board is like high school wrestling practice. If you're not dead you should be here. Type with a straw between your teeth if you hafta. A poster hopped up on pain meds makes everything more fun anyway.

OUmillenium
5/13/2009, 11:56 AM
heh

Eielson
5/13/2009, 01:00 PM
Dean, I've also heard people say that Sonny is a d*ck, but I've heard the same people say that all baseball players can be d*cks and quite frankly, if I only had a 25 percent scholly when the other major sports get 100 percent, I might act like a d*ck too :D

As a former high school player, yes, most of them are dicks. I really am not sure where the ego comes from. Some of the worst baseball players are cockier than the best football and basketball players.

Collier11
5/13/2009, 01:01 PM
I played baseball for 13 years and yes, alot of them are dicks. Even the ones that suck

badger
5/13/2009, 02:09 PM
I didn't play baseball... they relegated us to softball, heh :D

College baseball players really do have a tougher road to being a professional ball player or getting an education at a university than other athletes though. You see all the hoopla for top basketball and football athletes getting full rides and when it comes time for the third major sport, baseball, the coach says "Sorry, NCAA only lets me have about a dozen schollys that I have to split among 30 players." Ouch! I don't remember the exact stats, but I do know that the only baseball players that will be offered a full ride are good enough to jump straight to pro ball and likely will.

So anyway - Sunny, I know the sport must be tough to keep and maintain a good squad... but I would really, really, love to see another championship year on your scoreboard soon :D

SOONER STEAKER
5/18/2009, 11:08 PM
B+, the team has played well. I just hope SG doesn't screw things up by trying to do too many things in the tourney. Just let the kids play and we'll do fine!!

Ardmore_Sooner
5/19/2009, 01:09 AM
I'm still waiting to hear what your expectations were going into the season steaker. The coaches thought we'd be 6th before the season started, so if finishing half a game out of first is only a B+ then you obviously know something more than the coaches, media, or any of us fans know.

Or maybe you can't stand SG so much, that regardless of what happens you will be unsatisfied with the outcome. Yeah I'll go with the latter of the two.

jadubya
5/19/2009, 03:06 PM
Steaker = retarded; no basis for anything he posts. Go back to football recruiting news.

SOONER STEAKER
5/20/2009, 10:28 AM
Gentlemen, you are right, I am not a SG fan. I would give SG an "A" if we had a solid starter for Sunday games. SG keeps rolling out Richards and he just isn't the guy.

I give the players an "A" because before the season I couldn't dream of us winning 40 games with a possible opportunity to host a regional.

This team can be "SPECIAL" and I hope all 25 players are pullng on the rope to Omaha!!

Collier11
5/20/2009, 10:45 AM
The thing with Richards isnt that he cant be a dominate pitcher, he has proven that at times. He just isnt consistent for whatever reason

Ardmore_Sooner
5/20/2009, 11:01 AM
Richards can be judged by his first 5 pitches. Richards has a sick fast ball but lacks the ability to throw out a consistent curve ball. The rotation is set with Doyle-Rocha-Richards. Richards is a 4-5 inning guy, no more. If the coaches would have someone in the pen after the 3rd or 4th inning when Richards starts Id be much more comfortable. I just haven't seen any other Sunday starters on the squad that are consistent enough for the role.

Collier11
5/20/2009, 11:07 AM
I wish Ebern would get more innings than he does honestly. Hopefully Porlier can get himself lined out for next yr, depending on the draft(I dont see any of our pitchers being drafted early) we will return all of our pitchers minus CJ Blue who doesnt play much anyway

Ardmore_Sooner
5/20/2009, 11:09 AM
Richards will get drafted, but I don't think he is quite ready to make the jump.

Collier11
5/20/2009, 11:10 AM
Im saying, you probably arent going pro if you get drafted after the 8th-10th round unless you just hate college and I dont see any of our guys going that early, do you?

Ardmore_Sooner
5/20/2009, 11:15 AM
The only guys I think MIGHT go pro, and that's a big MIGHT, are Richards, JJ, and Baker. Baker won't go pro because his little bro is gonna be on the team next year and Richards and JJ have a lot of stuff to work on. We SHOULD be the same team next year minus Wise and Matt and plus Porlier (I think the offseason will work it's magic on him) and a great recruiting class. This team truly is one year away but they play like that this is the year.

Collier11
5/20/2009, 11:18 AM
yea, we should be stacked next year for sure...I wonder if Duke will get drafted fairly high, that year that Houston Street had a great year as a closer he was drafted high. Now I know Dukes stats arent quite as good as Streets that year but still

Ardmore_Sooner
5/20/2009, 11:19 AM
BTW STEAKER, what grades do you give Stoops, Capel, Gasso, and Coale? I understand you don't like SG but if he doesn't have an "A" right now then what do our other coaches get?

SOONER STEAKER
5/20/2009, 01:10 PM
Stoops A-
Capel A+
Gasso C+
Coale B+

Stoops just wins. I look for next years team to put a hurtin on Texas
Capel, the man can recruit like no other and coach a good game.
Gasso, Regular season Big 12 champs, playoff chumps
Coale. we'll see what kind of coach she is without the twins. I actually expect the women's team to be better with the Paris'.

Ardmore_Sooner
5/20/2009, 01:26 PM
So wait, what's the difference between Stoops choking in post season play, and Gasso choking in postseason play? And Sonny has come closer to winning a league title (Regular Season or Post Season) than Capel has.

jadubya
5/20/2009, 04:20 PM
Again...see me previous Steaker reply. :confused:

Steaker logic: Players get an "A" because he didn't expect them to win this many games and they have a chance to be special........BUT........SG (and staff) don't get an "A" because they don't have a consistent Sunday starter.......gotcha.

So, despite NOT having a dominate pitching staff, this potentially "special" team has won 40 games by getting the most from the talent that resides in the clubhouse......and that has nothing to do with coaching? Again, you Steaker make NO sense.

If you are gonna blame the coaches when it goes South, you better give them props when it goes well. :eek:

SOONER STEAKER
5/20/2009, 07:53 PM
Like I said, I don't like SG, so I'm not gonna give him credit for his players playing well.

Ardmore_Sooner
5/20/2009, 08:11 PM
Then don't respond to anything idjit.

SOONER STEAKER
5/20/2009, 10:38 PM
Idjit, is that a word people use in Ardmore? If you don't like me, call me a name that I know what it means.

THE CAKE IS ACTUALLY A COW PIE

Ardmore_Sooner
5/20/2009, 11:18 PM
No it's a word for people who don't know how to use GOOGLE. ;)

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=idjit

And please read THE FIRST POST. This thread is suppose to be about SG and BE UNBIASED. I guess I can't stand the fact that anything short of him walking on water will not impress you. To say that this coaching staff has done anything short of an AMAZING year is just asinine. Do you know what asinine means?

SOONER STEAKER
5/21/2009, 11:06 AM
The season isn' over yet. If SG's team can win the Big 12, and win a Regional and Super Regional I will give him an "A". Until then, I'll be asinine.

Ardmore Sooner, did you play sports in HS or spend all your time in the dictionary?

Collier11
5/21/2009, 11:25 AM
and here it comes, the good ol' "did you even play sports" discussion :)

Ardmore_Sooner
5/21/2009, 12:02 PM
Yes I played high school football and am a proud recent graduate of The University of Oklahoma with a degree in journalism, so I had to spend some time in a dictionary.What does all this have to do with fact you should stick to the football board?

SOONER STEAKER
5/22/2009, 09:52 AM
Every board needs an a-hole like me just to keep jounalist on their toes. :D

Ardmore_Sooner
5/22/2009, 09:56 AM
Who said the journalist weren't the a-holes? ;)

SOONER STEAKER
5/22/2009, 04:52 PM
Al Eshbach said it!! :pop: : "Where's my radish?"

badger
6/1/2009, 10:16 AM
Oh dear... an early exit at home in the tourney. This will not sit well with the anti-Sunny crowd.

As for me, I will retreat to the football board to ask if football is here yet. It's been several seconds since I last asked. I'm hoping that the answer is "yes" this time.

Collier11
6/1/2009, 12:38 PM
The Regional Championship 4 out of 5 years, I think most would tell you we were a year early so next year will be the disappointing season if we dont get to a Super Regional

Boomer.....
6/1/2009, 12:42 PM
The inconsistency killed the team this season, especially near the end. Golloway can only teach the player so much. It is up to them to come through in the end.

zeke
6/1/2009, 04:38 PM
Someone once said about a football coach "Its not X's & O's its more about the Jim's and the Joe's that make a good team."

GoTheDistance
6/2/2009, 01:30 AM
This thread is so pointless. First, the SS (Sonny Sympathizers) starts the thread setting up parameters and acting as if this will be a "fun" exercise. And then the minute a dissenter makes a point, the "SS" swoops down on them like a bunch of hungry vultures and rips into the dissenter with condescending insults and rude sarcasm. Hey boys, if u don't want to hear what peoplle really think, then don't invite them to join your so-called "civil" discussion! :pop:

SOONER STEAKER
6/2/2009, 07:29 AM
Getting 41 wins makes a great season. With the loss of key personnel will make the coaching staff work extra hard this summer coming up with some quality arms that must be replaced.

SG used to be great at getting quality transfers during his time as an OU assistant and while at ORU. OUr coaches must hit the road and reel in some quality starting pitching so that we can again host a Regional.

Final Grade: Solid "B"

badger
6/2/2009, 09:06 AM
Transfers kill a program's graduation rate, if it's anything like the other sports (unless they've changed those rules). He might be under pressure to get kids in to begin with and limit transfers for this reason.

Given their success during the regular season, I had higher expectations for the postseason. Well, not much ya can do about it now, I guess.

sifa123
6/2/2009, 09:16 AM

nighttrain12
6/2/2009, 11:43 PM
OU just ran into a hot Arkansas team in the regional. It'll be interesting to see how they do against Florida State this weekend. Heck, if OSU had scored 2 more runs in their last game against Clemson, they would have made it to the super regionals. That shows you what a crapshoot the regionals can be.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
6/21/2009, 12:17 AM
Baseball recruiting is so tricky, having to compete with the pros, as well as other colleges. Academics must be pretty important for a kid to want college over immediate money.

I'm still PO'd about the way Cochell was railroaded, and the chicken-sh*t behavior of Stephenson. (but, not nearly as disappointed as I am with our refusal to etricate our wrestling coach)

Collier11
2/27/2010, 01:56 PM
Id say that Galloway is doing a hell of a job and is only getting better

soonerguild
3/1/2010, 10:56 AM
I agree sir, I agree.

C&CDean
3/1/2010, 02:22 PM
Fire vulnerables!!

badger
3/1/2010, 06:33 PM
Is this thread still going? Awww, hell... Sonny better win this year when OU meet Poke State in Tulsa. Do you know how many OSU fans attend that game? It's gonna be at the new stadium this year! Please dear gawd, let OU win!

Ardmore_Sooner
12/15/2010, 11:32 PM
I love bumping old threads! :D

IndySooner
12/16/2010, 11:12 AM
Nice bump, Ardmore!

Those who know me know that I don't always agree with Golloway and I've certainly heard enough to know he's not the most political program leader out there. That being said, I don't care about ANY of that. All he does is win. Bottom line.

I'm so freaking excited about this season it's unreal!