PDA

View Full Version : is there a chance

Jello Biafra
5/6/2009, 09:11 AM
that sam comes back yet another year?

i've heard a few things come out of his mouth in the last few days that really makes me question his willingness to leave school early.

the first was his comments on the jerry world game...

said something to the effect of only getting so many games on owen field said its kind of sad but exciting

next was on FOX SW big XII preview when he was talking about growing up, the ONLY thing he wanted to do was play football at OU.

same show he said the only thing that is missing is a NC and that when the national media rips on stoops, they take it personally or something like that.

look, hes already given up millions and seems to be fine with it.
hes all about this team
his parents aren't hurting for money
his dad played at ou on a NC team
hes an honor student in finance

having said all of this, if we win the NC this season, all bets MAY be off.

picasso
5/6/2009, 09:15 AM
Sam Claphan graduated years ago.

badger
5/6/2009, 09:16 AM
a lot can happen in a year. perhaps there will be a medical emergency in his family (heaven forbid), perhaps his favorite pro team will have the No. 1 overall pick and promise to draft him, or perhaps, like you said, we'll win the NC and all bets will be off.

I think most are resigned to the fact that this will be Sam's final year as a Sooner... but wow, what a year this will be :)

Collier11
5/6/2009, 09:24 AM
Barring injury I would say highly unlikely

Crucifax Autumn
5/6/2009, 09:36 AM
I doubt it, but I sure wouldn't mind!

Jello Biafra
5/6/2009, 09:44 AM
Barring injury I would say highly unlikely

becaaaaaauuuse...

my high school coach always told us to play the game like it was the last one you will EVER play because one day, it will be over. play it with schoolboy enthusiasm because it will be gone before you even know what hit you. having met and talked with his dad, i tend to think he is a lot like this and i think Sam has the luxury of knowing his game can go to the next level. he's just enjoying his childhood passion and loving his coaching staff...

i didn't start this thread to complete an argument. I started it to see if i was just being a homer and reading too much into his body language and what he SEEMS to be saying.

like i said, i think we win the NC, i think all bets are off.

soonerfan28
5/6/2009, 09:47 AM
I know this topic was brought up about this time last year and there were people who didn't think he had what it took at the next level. I think he leaves regardless of what happens for OU next year. Bob has said that Bradford's gained 10 more pounds, so he'll be playing around 230 lbs. If he can maintain his weight he'll be able to take the beating he'll get as the #1 overall pick.

Collier11
5/6/2009, 09:51 AM
He will be Top 10 at worst, #1 at best. He has possibly the final year to cash in on super big rookie contracts, he has too much risk in getting hurt, etc... I would love more than anything for him to come back but I just dont see it

Jello Biafra
5/6/2009, 09:57 AM
He will be Top 10 at worst, #1 at best. He has possibly the final year to cash in on super big rookie contracts, he has too much risk in getting hurt, etc... I would love more than anything for him to come back but I just dont see it

o is that still an option? i thought that was done after this season...

Collier11
5/6/2009, 10:02 AM
next year I believe

badger
5/6/2009, 10:07 AM
He will be Top 10 at worst, #1 at best.\

I hope your draft experts are better than Brady Quinn's.

Collier11
5/6/2009, 10:24 AM
Well of course it all depends on team needs at the top of the draft, if Detroit is #1 again next yr they wont be picking a qb.

soonerfan28
5/6/2009, 10:33 AM
I think it will be the Chiefs or the Rams w/the first pick.

RedstickSooner
5/6/2009, 10:34 AM
I swore up and down it was a flat-out impossibility he return for THIS season. So, at this point, nothing would surprise me.

Collier11
5/6/2009, 10:47 AM
I think it will be the Chiefs or the Rams w/the first pick.

you watch your mouth there buddy!!!
;)

I dont see any way the Chiefs dont win atleast 6

soonerfan28
5/6/2009, 10:55 AM
Would be nice to see the Chiefs get Sam though or have they drafted a QB lately?

badger
5/6/2009, 10:58 AM
Would be nice to see the Chiefs get Sam though or have they drafted a QB lately?

if by "drafting" you mean "made a really good trade for" then yes! They "drafted" Matt Cassel, and only had to give up a second rounder.. and also got a lineman on the side!

Linky (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3942130)

It was definitely a noggin scratcher when they pulled that deal off on a QB the Pats had franchise tagged.

jumperstop
5/6/2009, 11:00 AM
As much as I want to see Sam stay, I don't want him to pass on the NFL again and miss the chance to make big big because they change the rules on rookie contracts. He deserves it.
But, at the same time another year with Sam would be awesome. He would also have a great chance at his third heisman without espn being able to love on Dweebo and Colt McFag.

soonerfan28
5/6/2009, 11:05 AM
if by "drafting" you mean "made a really good trade for" then yes! They "drafted" Matt Cassel, and only had to give up a second rounder.. and also got a lineman on the side!

Linky (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3942130)

It was definitely a noggin scratcher when they pulled that deal off on a QB the Pats had franchise tagged.

Forgot about the Cassell deal.

Salt City Sooner
5/6/2009, 11:36 AM
One thing that was telling to me was that in that interview with Herbie that he mentioned that out of loyalty to the committment he made to OU that he needed to stay 4 years, & unless my math fails me, that time frame will be reached at the conclusion of this year. Out of selfishness, I'd love nothing more than to be wrong, but methinks we'd better make this year count when it comes to rooting for him (in an OU uni, at least).

soonerfan28
5/6/2009, 11:38 AM
Yea, he also said that it was always a dream to suit up in the crimson and cream and he wanted to make it last as long as possible.

Collier11
5/6/2009, 12:03 PM
Money talks and his 4 yr commitment will be complete after this year

OUDoc
5/6/2009, 12:29 PM
Someone I know who coached him at PC North said it wouldn't surprise him if he came back for his senior year because, "That's the kind of guy he is."
Who knows?
I'm just glad he came back this year.

Jello Biafra
5/6/2009, 01:18 PM
Yea, he also said that it was always a dream to suit up in the crimson and cream and he wanted to make it last as long as possible.

ding ding ding....i couldnt remember what i had heard but, that was REEEEAL close.

badger
5/6/2009, 02:16 PM
Someone I know who coached him at PC North said it wouldn't surprise him if he came back for his senior year

[dumb&dumber]So you're telling me there's a chance[/lloyd]

bluedogok
5/6/2009, 02:32 PM
If he graduates by the end of his "redshirt junior" year (which I think he is on schedule to do, maybe even after the fall semester) then I would think he would probably forgo his fifth year. I think the degree means a lot to him and his parents.

RedstickSooner
5/6/2009, 03:22 PM
Man, Sam to the Chiefs.

Gee -- I wonder what the color commentators would talk about, were that to happen?

oudivesherpa
5/6/2009, 03:46 PM
Will Sam graduate this year?

It took my son eight years, he kept saying how much he loved OU, finally after 7 1/2 years I cut off the funds and he grauated the next semester.

Some kids do graduate in four years...right?

Jello Biafra
5/6/2009, 03:47 PM
Will Sam graduate this year?

It took my son eight years, he kept saying how much he loved OU, finally after 7 1/2 years I cut off the funds and he grauated the next semester.

Some kids do graduate in four years...right?

if he is in honors classes, im sure he's damn near there....

Collier11
5/6/2009, 03:58 PM
I think he will be done after fall semester, I could be wrong though

starclassic tama
5/6/2009, 07:55 PM
if he is in honors classes, im sure he's damn near there....

honors classes in college? not sure those exist...

it wouldn't surprise me at all if sam comes back IF we don't win a title this year, or he has any sort of down year at all, with an injury or something. other than that i would think he is gone, but i thought the same thing this year.

AlbqSooner
5/6/2009, 08:15 PM
I would be somewhat surprised to see Sam stay after this year, but I don't rule it out. While I understand the money argument, there are so many sure fire NFL players who never make a squad. Thing about Sam is he is an honor student in Finance who is a very driven and goal oriented individual. Should he, for whatever reason, not become an NFL player he is in a field that he can make damn near that kind of money in finance. That is one field where, assuming you are a good study, you are finanically limited only by your own desire.

SoonerInFortSmith
5/6/2009, 08:59 PM
Maybe he will stay just so he can finish his Master's Degree before he goes to the league.