PDA

View Full Version : How does OU find these RBs all over the country?

Dan Thompson
5/5/2009, 08:49 PM
I was reading something on the internet and saw an article about the three California RBs that OU is interested in.

One from San Diego, one from Corona, and one from Thousand Oaks. All of these are in So Cal.

Does OU have Alumni out looking for good players?

How does this work?

The_Red_Patriot
5/5/2009, 09:48 PM
Cale Gundy---Recruiting Coordinator and running backs coach

OU-HSV
5/5/2009, 10:09 PM
In addition to Gundy... maybe some phone calls from Bob's old friend Chuck Long. He's unemployed right (or maybe he's an assistant somewhere I can't remember no)? But maybe he had his eyes on these RBs out there and he let Bob know about them.

soonerboomer93
5/5/2009, 10:13 PM
I believe there's also scouting/recruiting services that submit tapes to coaches

OU-HSV
5/5/2009, 10:29 PM
I believe there's also scouting/recruiting services that submit tapes to coaches

Word

OUAlumni1990
5/5/2009, 10:45 PM
Cale Gundy---Recruiting Coordinator and running backs coach

Doing a fine job too!

I imagine there are alot of RB's out there wanting to follow in AD's footsteps, which makes recruiting easier...

Jello Biafra
5/5/2009, 10:51 PM
you know those dudes that call you at 9:45 pm...asking for donations...we'll they buy your info from an "anon" source...i think thats where we get that from....

either that or an internet database on every junior and senior football player in the country.... ;)

picasso
5/5/2009, 11:21 PM
I tell them.

yermom
5/5/2009, 11:45 PM
maybe they started following USC coaches around like they do Mike Leach ;)

OU_Sooners75
5/6/2009, 02:55 AM
Not to be a smartass...like others....

But how do they find these recruits?

Football Camps or combines.
Recruiting services, like Rivals or Scout.
In good with High School Coaches (Called a pipeline)
Players being All-Staters
Other College Coaches
Recruiting and staffing firms....Kinda like what Arthur and Bryce Brown had.
Statewide and national mailing lists from the college/university.

There a lot of ways that coaches find out about the different players from all over the country.

Bold are the best ways of finding the players.

OUDoc
5/6/2009, 08:25 AM
I tell them.

Keep up the good work.

Jello Biafra
5/6/2009, 08:31 AM
Not to be a smartass...like others....

But how do they find these recruits?

Football Camps or combines.

this was my path...it certainly wasn't my high school football coach recruiting for me...

soonerfan28
5/6/2009, 08:51 AM
No offense because I know the team we cheer for is an elite program, but when was the last time we won a recruiting battle in CA for a RB? I think we should stick closer to home. We have a recruiting hotbed like Texas which produces elite RB's that we have pulled in like Billy Sims, Adrian Peterson and more recently Johnson and Calhoun. Just my thoughts.

badger
5/6/2009, 09:09 AM
No offense because I know the team we cheer for is an elite program, but when was the last time we won a recruiting battle in CA for a RB? I think we should stick closer to home. We have a recruiting hotbed like *Texas* which produces elite RB's that we have pulled in like Billy Sims, Adrian Peterson and more recently Johnson and Calhoun. Just my thoughts.

Our advantage over Macc is that we will recruit nationwide for talent, whereas he just recruits his own state. Granted, I would love to have a roster full of native Oklahomans, but I think fellow Sooners who started in other states can appreciate athletes that want to leave their comfort zone to come to OU :D

soonerfan28
5/6/2009, 09:43 AM
I think the only RB out of CA we have a chance at getting is maybe Clay. Malcolm Jones is from Oaks Christian where everybody goes to USC except for Clausen. If he doesn't head to USC then it will be UCLA. I'll put my money on UCLA. He doesn't have top end speed and is more of a power back. USC wants speed in the backfield.

Dan Thompson
5/6/2009, 10:28 AM
This maybe too simple, but I think a lot of players want to stay close to home. It is just that simple.

RedstickSooner
5/6/2009, 10:33 AM
We recruit a player even if we aren't going to get him so that we maintain our presence in the area.

We owe it to that blue-chip California player that, in a couple years, wants to play for us, so he doesn't feel like he's truly venturing into the wilderness by doing so.

We also stay active in the region because if something goes wrong -- like the NCAA somehow wraps up its investigation of the Reggie Bush matter in the year 2015 and levies penalties, we're a viable option for players who no longer have Suc as an option.

RedstickSooner
5/6/2009, 10:42 AM
Oh, and to answer the original question:

Radar.

Salt City Sooner
5/6/2009, 12:02 PM
No offense because I know the team we cheer for is an elite program, but when was the last time we won a recruiting battle in CA for a RB? I think we should stick closer to home. We have a recruiting hotbed like *Texas* which produces elite RB's that we have pulled in like Billy Sims, Adrian Peterson and more recently Johnson and Calhoun. Just my thoughts.
Glyn Milburn, although that didn't exactly work out too well. As far as someone who actually stuck around & contributed, unless I'm missing someone, you have to go back to Steve Sewell.

picasso
5/6/2009, 12:16 PM
Glyn Milburn, although that didn't exactly work out too well. As far as someone who actually stuck around & contributed, unless I'm missing someone, you have to go back to Steve Sewell.

Stanley Wilson.

soonerfan28
5/6/2009, 12:24 PM
Stanley Wilson.

Is Wilsons son still w/the Lions?

Salt City Sooner
5/6/2009, 12:50 PM
Stanley Wilson.
Wilson came to OU a couple of years before Sewell did.

picasso
5/6/2009, 05:07 PM
Wilson came to OU a couple of years before Sewell did.

yeah I knew that, I was just throwing out a Cali kid.

soonerfan28
5/6/2009, 05:13 PM
w/USC being what it is and UCLA having a great recruiter like Neuheisel then it'll be hard to pull those guys out of CA.