PDA

View Full Version : Well AD, you might have a future Hall of Fame QB

JLEW1818
5/5/2009, 05:27 PM
Brett Favre at it again.

Minnesota Vikings head coach Brad Childress and quarterback Brett Favre plan to meet at an undisclosed location later this week to discuss the possibility of the former Packers and Jets quarterback renouncing his retirement from the NFL to play the 2009 season with the Vikings, according to a source with direct knowledge of discussions between the two parties.

There is a mutual understanding that sometime soon thereafter Favre will decide whether to sign with the Vikings. The team would expect him to participate fully in offseason minicamps and training camps, which he missed last year with the Jets.

Favre has not been working out and declined to have surgery to repair the torn biceps tendon that plagued him the final month of last season.

Favre may believe the injury can heal on its own as did a similar problem with his left shoulder while he played in Green Bay. A source close to Favre told ESPN's Chris Mortensen that how the injury heals will play a role in the quarterback's decision.

The source also said that the quarterback's agent, Bus Cook, is researching unemployed NFL quarterback coaches to see if one can be hired to work with Favre in Mississippi while he ponders a possible return.

Favre wanted to play for the Vikings last season, but the Packers specifically eliminated their NFC North rivals as a potential destination for the Green Bay icon.

Vikings head coach Brad Childress discusses Brett Favre and the health of rookie Percy Harvin.

While Favre had been emphatic about not returning next season, he never anticipated the Jets would release him after drafting Mark Sanchez in the first round and could see the Vikings as the opportunity to fulfill the goal he was deprived of last season -- winning a Super Bowl.

Favre admitted to ESPN that he was motivated to play in 2008 largely because of his resentment toward Packers general manager Ted Thompson.

The Vikings had planned to have Tarvaris Jackson and Sage Rosenfels compete for the starting quarterback position in training camp. With Jackson battling injuries last season, journeyman Gus Frerotte started 11 games and led the Vikes in passing.

Minnesota finished 10-6 to capture the NFC North but lost to the Eagles in the first round of the playoffs in a game started by Jackson.

Ed Werder covers the NFL for ESPN. Chris Mortensen is a senior NFL analyst for ESPN.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4142857

stoops the eternal pimp
5/5/2009, 05:39 PM
Gawd, he is like herpes...

piusbovis
5/5/2009, 05:58 PM

He chafes your nuts?

olevetonahill
5/5/2009, 05:59 PM

Agreed
But if in anyway he can help take the pressure Off AD
Im all for it

JLEW1818
5/5/2009, 06:06 PM
I have a feeling he's gonna sign.

olevetonahill
5/5/2009, 06:08 PM
I have a feeling he's gonna sign.

I hope the hell he does .
If it will Help AD out .;)

JLEW1818
5/5/2009, 06:09 PM
I agree.

olevetonahill
5/5/2009, 06:13 PM
Other than that I wish he would just
http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/NGSPOD/104604~A-cowboy-and-his-horse-ride-off-in-to-the-sunset-Posters.jpg

olevetonahill
5/5/2009, 06:32 PM
In other words, If he aint gonna hep AD then
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcYsO890YJY

goingoneight
5/5/2009, 06:43 PM
Other than that I wish he would just
http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/NGSPOD/104604~A-cowboy-and-his-horse-ride-off-in-to-the-sunset-Posters.jpg

**** off dip ****? :D

badger
5/5/2009, 07:18 PM
He might have started in Atlanta. He might have been traded to New York. He might play for Minnesota next year.

However, he's a Packer.

soonerfan28
5/5/2009, 07:28 PM
I hope he beats the hell out of the Packers. No offense to anybody on here who might happen to like the Packers.:D I do hope he comes in and is decent. I don't think anybody really expects him to be an All Pro, but if he can be productive and take some pressure off of AD (as has been mentioned) then all the better for AD.

DMAFB_Sooner08
5/5/2009, 08:24 PM
I hope he beats the hell out of the Packers. No offense to anybody on here who might happen to like the Packers.:D I do hope he comes in and is decent. I don't think anybody really expects him to be an All Pro, but if he can be productive and take some pressure off of AD (as has been mentioned) then all the better for AD.

Well he is def an upgrade from T Jack, Rosenfels, & John David Booty. I think he even helps Childress not screw things up like he did in that playoff game. If they do big things this year it will be no thanks to childress...that guy is terrible!

OU-HSV
5/5/2009, 08:38 PM
Maybe I'm alone here, but I thought the Vikes picking up Sage Rosenfels was a nice step they took to get a better/more promising QB than Tarvaris. I have faith that with the players the Vikes have, Sage would become the starter and in my opinion he's a better starter than Favre at this point. IMO, there's more potential for AD and the Vikes to succeed by letting Sage be the QB now.
Yeah, I know Favre used to be great...he also used to be one of my favorite QBs until he decided to pull these retirement back and forth stunts. It sure seems he enjoys all the attention anymore.
Let's be honest guys (and gals), Favre looked awfully rusty all season with the Jets. Best I can recall is that he had one impressive game early in the season.

Lastly, I'm tired of Brett Favre's sh*t. Seriously Brett....just retire. Quit being a wishy washy s.o.b. and get it over with. You were great in your day, but bouncing around from team to team at your age is not good for you or the teams that waste their seasons with you at this point.

JLEW1818
5/5/2009, 08:56 PM
Maybe I'm alone here, but I thought the Vikes picking up Sage Rosenfels was a nice step they took to get a better/more promising QB than Tarvaris. I have faith that with the players the Vikes have, Sage would become the starter and in my opinion he's a better starter than Favre at this point. IMO, there's more potential for AD and the Vikes to succeed by letting Sage be the QB now.
Yeah, I know Favre used to be great...he also used to be one of my favorite QBs until he decided to pull these retirement back and forth stunts. It sure seems he enjoys all the attention anymore.
Let's be honest guys (and gals), Favre looked awfully rusty all season with the Jets. Best I can recall is that he had one impressive game early in the season.

Lastly, I'm tired of Brett Favre's sh*t. Seriously Brett....just retire. Quit being a wishy washy s.o.b. and get it over with. You were great in your day, but bouncing around from team to team at your age is not good for you or the teams that waste their seasons with you at this point.

I tend to cheer for Houston. Besides that 1 game against the colts, Sage did good. Rosenchopper

OU-HSV
5/5/2009, 10:05 PM
I tend to cheer for Houston. Besides that 1 game against the *Colt*s, Sage did good. Rosenchopper

He's always had a good completion percentage. I actually looked his stats up and posted about that somewhere when we had a thread about him a while back.
But Houston....is still Houston. He'll be better at the Vikes.

JLEW1818
5/5/2009, 11:10 PM
He's always had a good completion percentage. I actually looked his stats up and posted about that somewhere when we had a thread about him a while back.
But Houston....is still Houston. He'll be better at the Vikes.

Houston had the 3rd most yards per game average in the NFL last year.

Gotta cut turnovers and produce in the redzone.

sooner94
5/5/2009, 11:39 PM
Favre's obsession with getting back at the Packers is not a good thing.

As they used to say on Fantasy Island, "it will ultimately destroy him."

ouwasp
5/6/2009, 12:02 AM
Minnie sticking with Jackson so long should be an embarassment to anyone that even casually watches football.

stoops the eternal pimp
5/6/2009, 08:48 AM

I completely agree with ya...Brett Favre is not gonna lead any team to a Super Bowl...At this point, I would start Sage over Favre in a heartbeat..Favre has potential for a big game like you said, to be followed by several games of turnovers and head shaking...

Nostalgia is nice, but its the same reason that I was against it for the Jets....Its not a step forward for the team

badger
5/6/2009, 09:02 AM
As a huge Favre fan and one who firmly believes he can do no wrong (IMHO, interceptions are just completed passes if Favre throws them) I hope does not hang onto his career to the point of serious injury.

I could see it in his final Packer year - here's a guy that is so solid that he can consecutively start a million games in a row (give or take a few hundred under a million) - but he's getting hand/finger injuries that are slowing him down and putting his streak at risk.

Personally, I think the best place for him would be the Raiders. I hear their owner likes throwing the deep ball constantly :D

Sooner04
5/6/2009, 09:17 AM
**** Favre.

Keep his egomaniacal *** away from my team.

picasso
5/6/2009, 09:24 AM
yeah, he handled last season's mess terribly. You told your employer you were leaving and then at the 11th hour you change your mind and then act like it's the bosses fault.
there's always acting.

RedstickSooner
5/6/2009, 10:37 AM
I still don't understand how, in a league where everyone swears up and down it's all balanced, and a matter of miliseconds of difference in talent from best to worst, how a team with NO quarterback (and there's no way those QBs were only miliseconds worse than other teams) could win 10 games. I mean, supposedly, if you're one-dimensional in the NFL, you shouldn't break 100 yards of offense per game.

I'd really enjoy watching the vikings if this happened. Even more than I do now.

stoops the eternal pimp
5/6/2009, 10:47 AM
you play in a division that is **** poor in QB play...Aaron Rodgers is hands

down the best qb in that division last year...a first year starter

Run D in your division is awful(which most teams tried to address in this draft in the NFC North)

you play in a division that is isn't that good overall...

your D is good against the run in a division that has no QB's

you have Adrian Peterson

badger
5/6/2009, 10:54 AM
you play in a division that is **** poor...

Anyone else make the connection that the worst division in the NFL (currently) is also in the heart of Big 10 country?

Guess which college teams those NFL scouts are always around :P

OU-HSV
5/6/2009, 10:58 PM
I completely agree with ya...Brett Favre is not gonna lead any team to a Super Bowl...At this point, I would start Sage over Favre in a heartbeat..Favre has potential for a big game like you said, to be followed by several games of turnovers and head shaking...

Nostalgia is nice, but its the same reason that I was against it for the Jets....Its not a step forward for the team

Thank you sir

cheezyq
5/7/2009, 12:39 PM

I would agree, but the Vikes are in "win now or else" mode. They have a lot of good pieces in place to make a run happen. So, while Sage might turn out to be great, I get the feeling that they don't want to chance it this year and are willing to wait. And with the good start that Brett had to the season last year, I think they think he can be the missing piece. In the end, though, I think things will turn out a lot like last year for Favre if he does come back.

cheezyq
5/7/2009, 12:43 PM
you play in a division that WAS **** poor in QB play...Aaron Rodgers is hands

down the best qb in that division last year...a first year starter

Run D in your division is awful(which most teams tried to address in this draft in the NFC North)

you play in a division that is isn't that good overall...

your D is good against the run in a division that has no QB's

you have Adrian Peterson

Fixed. With Jay Cutler in the mix that changes quite a bit. And I have a feeling that Culpepper might turn out to be a decent QB this year if the Lions don't throw in the towel before the season starts by tossing their new #1 pick into the fire.

stoops the eternal pimp
5/7/2009, 12:49 PM
This probably doesn't make sense but I ll post it anyway..

IMO, the Vikings don't need a game winning quarterback, they need a game managing quarterback...somebody who can complete a pass every once in a while on first down, and can convert 3rd and 6....something Rosenfels is capable of...heck Gus F. did a pretty decent job of it..

Brett Favre is not gonna be a game managing quarterback...I think last season showed that...He is a gun slinger, someone who is gonna force the issue...the little dump of throw is there..so what, he is gonna force one between 2 defenders even though they only need 4 yards for a 1st down...its just the mold he is cut from

stoops the eternal pimp
5/7/2009, 12:59 PM
Fixed. With Jay Cutler in the mix that changes quite a bit. And I have a feeling that Culpepper might turn out to be a decent QB this year if the Lions don't throw in the towel before the season starts by tossing their new #1 pick into the fire.

I was correct actually, because the question was how did the Vikings win 10 games last season.and those were the current conditions of the division...I see what your saying though...he does change the division qb picture

I am interested to see what Cutler does..I thought he would be the best of those quarterbacks taken in that draft..I don't think a line of 25/18 is spectacular but its not bad....we'll just see how he meshes with this receiving corp....

Detroit did not address the issues they have up front very well, so I don't think it will matter who they start..the QB is gonna take a beating

RedstickSooner
5/7/2009, 05:45 PM
Well, maybe a gunslinger is the best compliment when you've got the league's best rusher & rushing attack -- there's no way to defend the deep pass & the run simultaneously. Not very well, anyway.

OU-HSV
5/7/2009, 06:19 PM
This probably doesn't make sense but I ll post it anyway..

IMO, the Vikings don't need a game winning quarterback, they need a game managing quarterback...somebody who can complete a pass every once in a while on first down, and can convert 3rd and 6....something Rosenfels is capable of...heck Gus F. did a pretty decent job of it..

Brett Favre is not gonna be a game managing quarterback...I think last season showed that...He is a gun slinger, someone who is gonna force the issue...the little dump of throw is there..so what, he is gonna force one between 2 defenders even though they only need 4 yards for a 1st down...its just the mold he is cut from

I'm with you. We're obviously on the same page.

OU-HSV
5/7/2009, 06:22 PM
I would agree, but the Vikes are in "win now or else" mode. They have a lot of good pieces in place to make a run happen. So, while Sage might turn out to be great, I get the feeling that they don't want to chance it this year and are willing to wait. And with the good start that Brett had to the season last year, I think they think he can be the missing piece. In the end, though, I think things will turn out a lot like last year for Favre if he does come back.

Okay, so after reading your post it seems like you definitely agree with me? BUT you were thinking that the Vikings don't agree with us. Like that they see something in Brett (that you and I don't think is even there anymore).

And here's the latest on the situation according to Yahoo:
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AnfbDt9Ig_V7ur9JUQtZIkA5nYcB?slug=ys-favre050709&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

stoops the eternal pimp
5/7/2009, 08:06 PM
Well, maybe a gunslinger is the best compliment when you've got the league's best rusher & rushing attack -- there's no way to defend the deep pass & the run simultaneously. Not very well, anyway.

when is the last time he consistently made plays down the field?....

badger
5/8/2009, 11:42 AM
I suppose this is all a moot point now - Favre confirmed he's not going to the Vikes. Of course, I was not concerned in the least :D

Jello Biafra
5/8/2009, 12:59 PM
step....whoeheartedly disagree with you... the bears (yeh i know) were a few injuries(again, i know, injuries are part of the game)away from being the best rush defense in the nfl. our problem was, the offense couldn't keep our defense off the field. at least in meaningful situations.

AAAAAANd the numbers are a bit skewed because, historically, the nfc north (central) has been a rush first division. at all costs... you're consistanly giving up 150 yards of rushing a game because they are running the ball at you 40 times a game where as, a san fran or a team that can pass the ball, will rush say 20-28 times per game because they pass the ball 30+ times.

Sooner04
5/8/2009, 01:01 PM
THANK GOD! Keep your sorry, pick-throwing *** down there in Mississippi.

Tarvaris all the way, baby!

Scott D
5/8/2009, 01:07 PM
I have a feeling this 'story' is far from over.

Like say after pre-season training camp begins to assemble.

You won't convince me until Feb. 8th 2010 that bastard isn't going to suit up for some team next season.

stoops the eternal pimp
5/8/2009, 04:06 PM
I have a feeling this 'story' is far from over.

Like say after pre-season training camp begins to assemble.

You won't convince me until Feb. 8th 2010 that bastard isn't going to suit up for some team next season.

You earn a gold star...Not only do they want an aged turnover prone quarterback, they'll sign him if he only requires minor surgery on his throwing arm...jeez

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4152783

Scott D
5/8/2009, 05:50 PM
You earn a gold star...Not only do they want an aged turnover prone quarterback, they'll sign him if he only requires minor surgery on his throwing arm...jeez

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4152783

Where are Jeff Gilooly and Shawn Eckhart when you really need them.

stoops the eternal pimp
5/8/2009, 10:17 PM
step....whoeheartedly disagree with you... the bears (yeh i know) were a few injuries(again, i know, injuries are part of the game)away from being the best rush defense in the nfl. our problem was, the offense couldn't keep our defense off the field. at least in meaningful situations.

AAAAAANd the numbers are a bit skewed because, historically, the nfc north (central) has been a rush first division. at all costs... you're consistanly giving up 150 yards of rushing a game because they are running the ball at you 40 times a game where as, a san fran or a team that can pass the ball, will rush say 20-28 times per game because they pass the ball 30+ times.

sorry your answer is disqualified...you said "our" twice in your post concerning the bears...bears fans are not allowed rational thoughts:P

plus the division as a whole was not good against the run, against divisional teams and non divisional opponents..sorry, Chicago defense was pretty good but nothing other than that..

85sooners
5/9/2009, 11:33 AM
favvvvrrree is the greatest!!! everyone else are frauds

CrimsonJim
5/9/2009, 11:51 AM
^ There's one in every crowd. :rolleyes:

SoonerInFortSmith
5/9/2009, 11:52 AM
I hope the scalpel slips when he has his minor shoulder surgery. Don't want him to die, just go away.

wisconsincowboy
6/4/2009, 12:45 AM
hey guys guess who is number one in madden next year and guess who aint

http://sports.espn.go.com/videogames/news/story?id=4206757