PDA

View Full Version : The 200 lb barrier

ADs_Agent
5/4/2009, 09:34 AM
Don't mean to gloat or anything, but for the first time since I was 17, I am now under 200 lbs. I was 253 at the beginning of the year, as of today I'm 197

JohnnyMack
5/4/2009, 09:49 AM
Congratulations! Let's go to Ron's and celebrate.

ADs_Agent
5/4/2009, 09:52 AM
185 is my goal and I should be there by the end of May on the diet that I'm doing. Anyone who like me had a BMI over 28, should really look at the program the Broadway Clinic has, it's good stuff. You pretty much retrain your body to adjust to different eating habits.

That being said, I really miss the gym, my caloric intake isn't high enough for me to work out, so I haven't lost muscle but haven't built any either.

JohnnyMack
5/4/2009, 09:53 AM
So, you're out on chili-cheeseburgers and Spanish fries?

BudSooner
5/4/2009, 09:57 AM
So, you're out on chili-cheeseburgers and Spanish fries?
Jesus, I used to love that combo but now that i'm on the low cholesterol/low sodium diet...my doc would beat me with a broom for even think about that.:eek:

101sooner
5/4/2009, 10:02 AM
That's a lot of weight to lose in basically 4 months. I mean, good job, but I'm not sure losing almost 15 pounds a month is very safe. Are you under the supervision of a doctor?

Anyway, congrats!!!

BudSooner
5/4/2009, 10:05 AM
That's a lot of weight to lose in basically 4 months. I mean, good job, but I'm not sure losing almost 15 pounds a month is very safe. Are you under the supervision of a doctor?

Anyway, congrats!!!
I lose 3lbs every morning. :D

OUDoc
5/4/2009, 10:06 AM
Congrats.
That is a lot of weight to lose.

badger
5/4/2009, 10:08 AM
The best part is that you didn't have to go on some reality show with backstabbity contestants in order to lose it :D

Kudos!

ADs_Agent
5/4/2009, 10:10 AM
yeah, I have to do an EKG, blood work, urinanalysis, get weekly B-12 lipo shots, take potassium supplements, etc.

OhU1
5/4/2009, 10:20 AM
Wow AD that's awesome. That sounds about like me. Last saw 200 when I was 17 - then saw it again when I was 27. Nowhere in sight right now though.

The ironic deal is when I got down to under 200 when I was 27 it was through lots of jogging and walking. I had not weight trained for 3 years. Yet when I got back from summer break and everyone saw me for the first time in 3 months they thought I had been "pumping the weights." I was smaller but looked "much bigger" in the chest and arms.

Power in the gym is a lot of fun but it is not worth much IMO for the heavier set man. Especially as you get older. I was never able to get lean while weight training. Obviously it can be done but I was never able to do it. I got too obsessed with the weight training and feeling like I needed to eat to support my workouts, recovery, and building muscle.

I needed to cut the calories, train the weights more moderately, and include plenty of cardio.

ADs_Agent
5/4/2009, 10:32 AM
I hear you OhU1, my solution to that problem is I do a LOT of reps on light weights, like rather than doing 8 or 10 reps on 40 lbs, I'll do like 25 on a 20 lb weight. So rather than getting bulk I get lean, more tone, and more stamina in my muscles.

I HATTTTEEEE cardio on the other hand, minus the elliptical

OhU1
5/4/2009, 11:00 AM
Yep Ad, for my body type - more endomorphic and stocky - intensity through higher reps and effort would be better. Granted, you won't build the same power and mass but so what? I'm not trying out for the defensive line or throwing the shot put in my spare time.

I have to get into the right mind set for cardio. I enjoy jogging especially in warm and hot weather. I can't do it everyday though. I have a Precor elliptical machine in my home and it is great once I can get myself to get on the thing. Having a good DVD to watch helps.

Good luck reaching your goals. I need to set some of my own.

BudSooner
5/4/2009, 12:31 PM
I hear you OhU1, my solution to that problem is I do a LOT of reps on light weights, like rather than doing 8 or 10 reps on 40 lbs, I'll do like 25 on a 20 lb weight. So rather than getting bulk I get lean, more tone, and more stamina in my muscles.

I HATTTTEEEE cardio on the other hand, minus the elliptical

The elliptical is a good workout except that my right knee is about shot, i've gotta get some new shoes..the old ones are part of the problem.
I've no problem staying away from high cholesterol stuff but damn watching the high sodium stuff is difficult as everything is LOADED in it.

Things I used to enjoy...
Cottage cheese, 870mg per 1 cup serving.
Oscar Meyer beef franks 700mg- 1, yes, 1 hotdog
Pizza, 1 slice of pepperoni light on cheese and sauce 770mg

Bbq seasoning is high in the stuff, gotta cut that out.
Chili seasoning, ferget about it but there is a low sodium version but it's the other seasonings that load you up on it.
Biscuits, from either canned or Pillsbury frozen(which are damn close to homeade)just one mind you.....870mg. Don't even get me started on the amount of the stuff in gravy.:(

StoopTroup
5/4/2009, 01:02 PM
I'm at 229 and was around 240. I had gotten down to 225 and then the Doc put me on some stuff called "Lyrica" for my Psychotic Nerve. :D Thing is...that med has a tendency to put weight on you as well as some other really great side effects. I've been off that crud for nearly 60 days and I'm back to losing a little weight again. Around 215...I'll feel a lot better. 200...I'll feel like a God. Hopefully.

WTG! AD A!

olevetonahill
5/4/2009, 01:34 PM
Everytime you bastages lose weight I find it
so knock it the **** off :mad:

BudSooner
5/4/2009, 02:13 PM
Everytime you bastages lose weight I find it
so knock it the **** off :mad:

Another 3lb'er heading your way. :D:D

olevetonahill
5/4/2009, 02:22 PM
Another 3lb'er heading your way. :D:D

Bastage :mad:
I was hoping ya had already passed it on to someone else :eek:

OU-HSV
5/4/2009, 08:12 PM
Don't mean to gloat or anything, but for the first time since I was 17, I am now under 200 lbs. I was 253 at the beginning of the year, as of today I'm 197

Congrats. I've been trying to get under 200 again myself.
I've been eating a little better/and a little less and I've been going to the gym 3 days a week and lifting and running. I'm doing medium weight and I do about 10-12 reps and typically 3 sets on everything.

I weighed 222 about 12 weeks ago and I'm down to 205 now. I'm getting close to being under 200 for the first time in several years...probably like 6 or 7 years. Just bought a new pair of jeans the other day and amazingly fit into 36 waist. Also had to buy some new belts. I'd like to get down to a lean 180. But we'll see, I've kind of leveled out where I'm at now. But the good news is that I also had leveled out around 213 a few weeks ago and then all of a sudden started dropping pounds again. So it may be possible.

OKC-SLC
5/4/2009, 10:50 PM
then all of a sudden started dropping pounds again.
how about a courtesy flush you sick bastage.

OUWxGuesser
5/5/2009, 11:59 AM
Congrats! I'm in the same boat... been over 200 way too long and need to get down. Not that I don't exercises, but I still got plenty of fat to lose. At my peak I was in the 260s. then dropped down to the 230s after throwing out sugary snacks basically. Ended up tearing ACL last summer and then promptly gained ~5lb or so... of course that may of had some offsetting of losing muscle gaining fat in there.

Now after knee surgery in Jan, I've been hardcore trying to get my bum leg back to normal. In the process, I've actually gained over 10lb which is rather depressing. Clothes fit the same, however, and I've been lifting weights for abs, arms, and legs, so I'm guessing most of it is muscle. Still depressing to go in the wrong direction. I feel like I'm in a catch 22... I need to GAIN muscle mass to get the leg back in shape, yet I need to lose weight overall. I figure once I can start laying off the weights and my quads/hamstrings are back to normal, I should start dropppin lb again by limiting some calorie intake.

StoopTroup
5/5/2009, 12:06 PM
So true...once you start changing so many things at once...the body reacts. You just have to give it time. You didn't get in bad shape overnight and your not going to get into good shape over night.

Hang in there.

stoops the eternal pimp
5/5/2009, 02:09 PM
I dropped a deuce earlier that passed the 20 lb barrier

Frozen Sooner
5/5/2009, 05:26 PM
Since this time last year I've dropped over 50lbs. Part of that was due to a flare-up of ulcerative colitis that was misdiagnosed first as diverticulitis then as Krohn's disease. However, I'm still dropping weight since I've been on the medication-just a lot more slowly.

Keep this up for a few more years and I'm back at my wrestling weight. :D

olevetonahill
5/5/2009, 05:38 PM
Since this time last year I've dropped over 50lbs. Part of that was due to a flare-up of ulcerative colitis that was misdiagnosed first as diverticulitis then as Krohn's disease. However, I'm still dropping weight since I've been on the medication-just a lot more slowly.

Keep this up for a few more years and I'm back at my wrestling weight. :D

Bet yer lookin forward to that huh ?:P
http://goldenfoon.com/images/Copy%20of%208%20-%20Sumo%20Wrestler.jpg

OU-HSV
5/5/2009, 10:32 PM
how about a courtesy flush you sick bastage.

There's always next time