PDA

View Full Version : Anyone catch "Wolverine" this weekend??

BudSooner
5/4/2009, 09:04 AM
I heard it sucked harder than Linda Lovelace, the bright spot is supposed to be Sabretooth.
One common thread from those who have watched the leaked footage that came out weeks ago....was that it was not far off from the finished product, ****ty without or with special effects.
10 total minutes of Deadpool? A total worthless waste of time in Gambit? A cameo from Cyclops...what the **** man?

Fox, you suck at making movies....please stop making ****ty films,
Sincerely...

The viewing public

Paramount on the other hand, has alot at stake in Star Trek(going to see it as soon as it comes out)so it better not suck, or I will hunt down JJ and punch him in the junk.

badger
5/4/2009, 09:40 AM
Ok, I'm glad you brought this up because I think it is important to note that there are conflicting stats out there concerning this movie.

One stat is from Rotten Tomatoes, that rates this movie pizz poor at 37 percent fresh (which gives it a little green splotch, heh)/

The other stat is at Box Office Mojo, which shows the movie made $87 million this weekend (which may get adjusted later as that is just a projection).

Granted, I remember a certain "Matrix Reloaded" making tons of money in its first weekend then tanking the rest of it's run based on the fact that people loved the first. Does that mean that people who saw Wolverine only saw it because they liked the first three X-Men movies?

Regardless, it had very good action, but this isn't opera or something that's gonna get an Oscar. It's a movie for fans of comics... nerds like NP that are already pointing out what the movie did wrong with Deadpool or Deathpool or... whatever the guy's name is that looked like a Mortal Combat character, heh :D

If you are a fan of the way they are making these Marvel movies, I think you will like it. Movies these days (at least for me personally) are a diversion from everyday life and if that means you don't use your brain for a few hours, so what?

ADs_Agent
5/4/2009, 09:49 AM
Disappointed about Deadpool, Ryan Reynolds made him whitty and fun. Sabretooth, BAMF........

Gambit grew on me, but definately needed more screen time. Overall I give the movie 6-1/2 out of 10. Matinee worthy, definately rent worthy, but I wouldn't pay more than $8 to see it.

BudSooner
5/4/2009, 09:52 AM
Ok, I'm glad you brought this up because I think it is important to note that there are conflicting stats out there concerning this movie.

One stat is from Rotten Tomatoes, that rates this movie pizz poor at 37 percent fresh (which gives it a little green splotch, heh)/

The other stat is at Box Office Mojo, which shows the movie made $87 million this weekend (which may get adjusted later as that is just a projection).

Granted, I remember a certain "Matrix Reloaded" making tons of money in its first weekend then tanking the rest of it's run based on the fact that people loved the first. Does that mean that people who saw Wolverine only saw it because they liked the first three X-Men movies?

Regardless, it had very good action, but this isn't opera or something that's gonna get an Oscar. It's a movie for fans of comics... nerds like NP that are already pointing out what the movie did wrong with Deadpool or Deathpool or... whatever the guy's name is that looked like a Mortal Combat character, heh :D

If you are a fan of the way they are making these Marvel movies, I think you will like it. Movies these days (at least for me personally) are a diversion from everyday life and if that means you don't use your brain for a few hours, so what?
Marvel does most movies right-Iron Man/The Incredible Hulk, the Hulk gets a pass because Norton was very good in the Banner role, Robert Downey Jr just blew away any expectations I had going into this movie, well him and Jeff Bridges anway.
I'm a DC fan by design, but did love X-Men, first one was outstanding, the second ok...but that lethargic POS "The Last Stand" serves a better purpose as a place for a cat to crap on....it sucked.

BudSooner
5/4/2009, 09:55 AM
Disappointed about Deadpool, Ryan Reynolds made him whitty and fun. Sabretooth, BAMF........

Gambit grew on me, but definately needed more screen time. Overall I give the movie 6-1/2 out of 10. Matinee worthy, definately rent worthy, but I wouldn't pay more than $8 to see it.
I haven't seen it, which is why I posted this thread but did you happen to stay thru the ending credit? What i've heard, and of course this is all rumor...there is a part that explains why he had such a small role, AICN/Coming Soon report that there is supposed to be a spinoff movie in the works for Deadpool.

badger
5/4/2009, 10:02 AM
I actually checked teh innerwebs after seeing the movie and apparently depending on which theatre you see it in, there are alternate endings after all of the credits have rolled.

All versions of the movie involve Striker... I will not spoil it for those who have not seen it.

At the Jenks Riverwalk theatre, the version of the post-credits ending we saw involved pool boy... again, I will not spoil it for those who have not seen it.

I've heard that there are also post-credit endings involving 'Pool in a different way and Wolverine in a bar.

ADs_Agent
5/4/2009, 10:16 AM
Stay through the credits, all I'm saying

Fraggle145
5/4/2009, 10:26 AM
FACK. I left during the credits cuz i had to pee so bad couldnt take it anymore.

King Crimson
5/4/2009, 10:30 AM
there was a pretty funny opinion piece at slate.com making fun of Wolverine for being Canadian.

Fraggle145
5/4/2009, 10:36 AM
And thank you you tube... I could only find one extra ending so far.

badger
5/4/2009, 11:32 AM
I see youtube keeps taking them down, heh. Everyone - plz post links if you find 'em.

JohnnyMack
5/4/2009, 11:44 AM
I'll refrain forming an opinion until Dolemtite weighs in.

Crucifax Autumn
5/4/2009, 11:44 AM
The copyright police at YouTube musta got some stimulus money to here more staff. They seem to be catching more of this and sooner lately.

Ardmore_Sooner
5/4/2009, 11:52 AM
FACK. I left during the credits cuz i had to pee so bad couldnt take it anymore.

Had the same problem, except I risked serious prostate problems to see the easter egg at the end. :D

OU4LIFE
5/4/2009, 12:17 PM
for the record, I'd just like to say that I have no idea exactly how hard Linda Lovelace sucked. So it's hard for me to compare to this movie.

BudSooner
5/4/2009, 12:24 PM
for the record, I'd just like to say that I have no idea exactly how hard Linda Lovelace sucked. So it's hard for me to compare to this movie.
Sucked like a longhorn defensive back trying to cover Michael Crabtree on the last play of the game in Lubbock. :D

OU4LIFE
5/4/2009, 12:41 PM
Sucked like a longhorn defensive back trying to cover Michael Crabtree on the last play of the game in Lubbock. :D

so...gently and lovingly?

OUMallen
5/4/2009, 02:31 PM
It was a bit of a let down. They underused Ryan Reynolds. Gambit, hoenstly, sucked. For the supergeeks that grew up with Gambit as their favorite, they'll be disappointed. Just not cajun enough, not rogue (double entendre intended) enough, and honestly when he did his super-stuff, he was almost overpowered. Like, I'm not sure how anyone could ever get the best of him. Same for Cyclops...when he unleashed, it was like the 98th level of Hell's fury. Gambit or Cyclops would completely destroy about anyone.

And look, I know it's acomic movie, and we need to suspend our disbelief to enjoy it...but it didn't even work under its own constructs. Cyclops can bisect an entire building with his power, but can't burn a hole in a person? Come on...let's be internally consistent.

badger
5/4/2009, 02:37 PM
Gambit...Just not cajun enough

Wasn't the actor playing him CANADIAN?!

I mean, I know he's been a Texas prep footballer in previous roles... and I know Canadia is half-French, but it's also half... south? HOW can you go from being in the great white north of CANADA to being a Cajun?!

From Wiki and other Gambit articles I've read (yes, I actually research movies afterward so I can figure out what the eff I just saw), it is a major part of Gambit's character to be a proud Cajun and proud to be from Louisiana. It seems they could have found an actor from New Orleans to play the role, a role in a big budget summer movie.

Canada... wow. A Cajun from Canada...

OUMallen
5/4/2009, 02:41 PM

I mean, I know he's been a *Texas* prep footballer in previous roles... and I know Canadia is half-French, but it's also half... south? HOW can you go from being in the great white north of CANADA to being a Cajun?!

From Wiki and other Gambit articles I've read (yes, I actually research movies afterward so I can figure out what the eff I just saw), it is a major part of Gambit's character to be a proud Cajun and proud to be from Louisiana. It seems they could have found an actor from New Orleans to play the role, a role in a big budget summer movie.

Didn't even attempt an accent....which might be a result of the actor being utterly incapable of effecting one.

soonermix
5/4/2009, 02:46 PM
i liked the movie. its not bang you head through a car window awsome but still kept me entertained.
i am also not a complete comic nerd so there was nothing about the characters for me to be disappointed about.
my only negative remark about the movie is there where far to many trailers showing too much of the movie before i even saw it. i hate it when they do that.

BudSooner
5/4/2009, 02:52 PM

I mean, I know he's been a *Texas* prep footballer in previous roles... and I know Canadia is half-French, but it's also half... south? HOW can you go from being in the great white north of CANADA to being a Cajun?!

Didn't even attempt an accent....which might be a result of the actor being utterly incapable of effecting one.

You know who I thought of when they first said Gambit was going to be in the movie? James Franco, Harry Osborne is dead..it would be a perfect time to switch franchises, no?

NYC Poke
5/4/2009, 02:58 PM
Someone gave a friend a bootleggeed copy. We watched it Saturday night. We got what we paid for.

OU4LIFE
5/4/2009, 03:26 PM
you paid for prison?

sweet.

Fraggle145
5/4/2009, 03:54 PM
i liked the movie. its not bang you head through a car window awsome but still kept me entertained.
i am also not a complete comic nerd so there was nothing about the characters for me to be disappointed about.
my only negative remark about the movie is there where far to many trailers showing too much of the movie before i even saw it. i hate it when they do that.

This is what I thought too. :confused:

soonerinabilene
5/4/2009, 05:35 PM
no...with eyes closed and arms flailing

so it was more like when sic'em has teh secks?

picasso
5/4/2009, 05:38 PM
Someone gave a friend a bootleggeed copy. We watched it Saturday night. We got what we paid for.

Seinfeld shoot it?

Tulsa_Fireman
5/4/2009, 06:16 PM
http://members.cox.net/firemanat25s/terrencewolverine.jpg

Hey! I'm from Canada, Buddy!

badger
5/4/2009, 07:13 PM

I remember a fanboy complaining back when the first one was about to come out that Hugh Jackman was too tall to play wolverine, who apparently is supposed to be a shorter superhero. however, it's kind of the role that's made hugh such a huge start and really launched his movie career... and I think everyone likes what he's done with it.

it appears fanboys aren't as forgiving of the inakuracies in some of the portrayals of superheroes in this movie.

soonerboomer93
5/4/2009, 07:51 PM
I enjoyed it.

Apparently the fanboyz are upset it doesn't follow canon, but eh, i'm not a comic geek. Besides, I know you have to suspend belief even more when going to a comic movie.

C&CDean
5/4/2009, 08:14 PM
http://harrypotter.warnerbros.com/harrypotterandthehalf-bloodprince/

This is the only movie I'll be checking out this summer.

Crucifax Autumn
5/4/2009, 09:01 PM
As many times as a new writer has signed on to the X-Men comics and completely turned the whole history upside down I don't see why people get upset with messing with canon.

I read that comic series from 4 years old until my early 30s and the movie changes don't really bother me that much.

What bugs the **** outta me is when they butcher a novel.

BudSooner
5/4/2009, 09:10 PM
http://harrypotter.warnerbros.com/harrypotterandtheartistformerlyknown asprinceinpurplerainpart2/ (http://harrypotter.warnerbros.com/harrypotterandthehalf-bloodprince/)

This is the only movie I'll be checking out this summer.
:D

Fraggle145
5/4/2009, 11:09 PM
As many times as a new writer has signed on to the X-Men comics and completely turned the whole history upside down I don't see why people get upset with messing with canon.

I read that comic series from 4 years old until my early 30s and the movie changes don't really bother me that much.

What bugs the **** outta me is when they butcher a novel.

Everyone knows each time the start a story it is like a whole different universe when they start a new book. the fanboyz are idiots.

Crucifax Autumn
5/5/2009, 12:17 AM
Hey, I love that comic...but yeah...the mouthbreathing zitfaced dorks drive me crazy.

The fat drunk that lives in the next building stumbles over here all the time and he knows I'm a closet nerd with my Star Wars, my comics, my D&D past, and my Rush albums.

He's always trying to quiz me with dumb shat like "you know why Xavier's in a wheelchair?" or "how many hit dice does an umber hulk have?"

Drives me batty. I enjoy my nerd pursuits and all but I'm turning 40 in a few months and I just like the crap...I don't live it!

Fraggle145
5/5/2009, 12:49 AM
Aint nothing wrong with liking comics

Frozen Sooner
5/5/2009, 12:56 AM
OK, here's my thoughts:

1. Wolverines howl at the moon? What the ****??

2. Way to not stick out at all, owning a completely bug****-pimp cabin on top of a ****ing mountain on a lumberjack's salary. That doesn't stick out at ALL.

3. Was it just me or did a lot of the major plot points kind of get cribbed from Star Wars? Logan was just Luke in reverse. He starts out as a basically nice kid who knows who his family is, winds up as a killer who doesn't remember anything.

4. Why was Scott Summers wearing a bandage on his face? Did they take his eyes or something for the Deadpool? And if so, how does he see now?

Tolerable movie, but SOOOO much fun to slag while watching it.

badger
5/5/2009, 07:06 AM
Did they take his eyes or something for the Deadpool? And if so, how does he see now?

On the contrary! They actually took something from Deadpool to give to Scott! Did you notice that Deadpool didn't have a mouth? They gave that to Scott so that he could have most of the lines in the first movie :rolleyes:

OU4LIFE
5/5/2009, 07:09 AM
http://members.cox.net/firemanat25s/terrencewolverine.jpg

I'm not your buddy, guy!

OUMallen
5/5/2009, 09:31 AM

IU'm not so into all this stuff that I freak out if they change a backstory or something. Honestly, I probably would never know. What does bother me is when they take the most basic things about Gambit that make him cool and leave them out altogether. That makes his character very passable.

Crucifax Autumn
5/5/2009, 09:35 AM
That I agree with.

BudSooner
5/5/2009, 09:59 AM
OK, here's my thoughts:

1. Wolverines howl at the moon? What the ****??

2. Way to not stick out at all, owning a completely bug****-pimp cabin on top of a ****ing mountain on a lumberjack's salary. That doesn't stick out at ALL.

3. Was it just me or did a lot of the major plot points kind of get cribbed from Star Wars? Logan was just Luke in reverse. He starts out as a basically nice kid who knows who his family is, winds up as a killer who doesn't remember anything.

4. Why was Scott Summers wearing a bandage on his face? Did they take his eyes or something for the Deadpool? And if so, how does he see now?

Tolerable movie, but SOOOO much fun to slag while watching it.

I thought the cabin belonged to the girlfriend? :confused:

TheUnnamedSooner
5/5/2009, 10:11 AM
So, I left when credits started rolling, what happened?

badger
5/5/2009, 10:42 AM
So, I left when credits started rolling, what happened?

They started playing the first X-men movie, to signify that this was prequel for those who missed the memo.. and the word "origins" in the title.

Frozen Sooner
5/5/2009, 11:17 AM
I thought the cabin belonged to the girlfriend? :confused:

Hah, right. Owning a home on an elementary school teacher's salary? ;)

BudSooner
5/5/2009, 11:23 AM

Well, she is on the payroll of someone other than the school in the movie. :D

I can't do the spoiler thingy, can anyone post a refresher on how to do it?

badger
5/5/2009, 11:26 AM

Hey, think back to elementary school, people! Remember how influential teachers can be and how they can influence you to make decisions and feel a certain way about certain topics because you're so young and impressionable?

Teacher: Hello, log cabin owner, let me shake your hand when I greet you.

Owner: Ok, shaking hands is fine.

Teacher: I'm an elementary school teacher. And I'm hot. Sell me this cabin on the cheap, please.

Owner: Well, you ARE a teacher and you ARE hot... so i WILL sell this cabin to you on the cheap.

Teacher: Thanks!

See? Can't you picture an elementary school teacher doing that?

Frozen Sooner
5/5/2009, 11:29 AM
Hey, think back to elementary school, people! Remember how influential teachers can be and how they can influence you to make decisions and feel a certain way about certain topics because you're so young and impressionable?

Teacher: Hello, log cabin owner, let me shake your hand when I greet you.

Owner: Ok, shaking hands is fine.

Teacher: I'm an elementary school teacher. And I'm hot. Sell me this cabin on the cheap, please.

Owner: Well, you ARE a teacher and you ARE hot... so i WILL sell this cabin to you on the cheap.

Teacher: Thanks!

See? Can't you picture an elementary school teacher doing that?

Well done. Forgot about that.

I figured Wolverine just used his awesome lumberjack skills and adamantium claws to carve it out of the mountain.

BudSooner
5/5/2009, 11:35 AM
Well done. Forgot about that.

I figured Wolverine just used his awesome lumberjack skills and adamantium claws to carve it out of the mountain.
"**** it man, i'm tired of killing.....i'm gonna make a badass house"

:D

Frozen Sooner
5/5/2009, 11:39 AM
"What the hell? You want a solarium? What the **** is a solarium? Oh, that? OK!" *snikt snikt snikt* "There's your ****ing solarium. Go get me a beer and a cigar."

BudSooner
5/5/2009, 12:22 PM
"What the hell? You want a solarium? What the **** is a solarium? Oh, that? OK!" *snikt snikt snikt* "There's your ****ing solarium. Go get me a beer and a cigar."

SCORE!!!!!!:D

StoopTroup
5/5/2009, 01:23 PM
NO ONE CAN CATCH WOLVERINE ! ! !

StoopTroup
5/6/2009, 11:34 AM
Philip's take. :D

His "Tuck Fexas!" at 3:27 in this was nice to hear. :D

Sllr5yb5aqk&feature=haxa_popt00us06

picasso
10/11/2009, 10:52 PM
Me and the old lady bought this over the weekend and really liked it. But I didn't grow up reading the comics so I'm not nearly nerdy enough to give a critique from that point of view.:)