PDA

View Full Version : The Boz was prescient

Jacie
5/2/2009, 01:01 PM
When he wore a shirt on the sideline of the Orange Bowl calling the NCAA the "National Communists Against Athletes" he must have been channeling to 2009.

Just yesterday, Rep. Joe Barton (R-Texas), said this of the BCS: “It’s like communism. You can’t fix it.”

We owe you an apology Boz, you were right all along.

RedstickSooner
5/2/2009, 01:05 PM
What, precisely, do you think the BCS has to do with the NCAA?

RedstickSooner
5/2/2009, 01:23 PM
Oh, and as an aside, I agree that the NCAA is the debbil. It depends too much on voluntary compliance (see: USC) and then over-reacts to voluntary reporting of problems, while also using a completely arbitrary system of punishment.

I know it blows, I'm just not sure how best we could improve it. And, of course the Boz was right all along. He was the Boz :D

goingoneight
5/2/2009, 01:58 PM
Round-robin conference schedules, with BCS rank scheduling a rematch for the top two to compete for the conference title.

8-team playoff. 6 major BCS conferences and two "at-large" or "wildcards." If there's not a 12-0 Utah or Boise Tech heading into the off-season, take the highest-ranked big dog from wherever else.

You don't have to get rid of the bowls that for some odd reason people think are anything more than an exhibition game. Hell, the NCAA tournament is the only important tourney, yet we still have the NIT and the like.

This way, the regular season continues it's importance in quest for the conference crown, and for the pretenders, it's still a quest to upset or knock off the contenders on their title run. Much like we already have.

You can still have OOC games, because I know that's usually a popular question regarding round-robin schedules. If you schedule a home-and-home with the SUC, lose early at Los Angeles, but sweep the BIG 12 and the SUC coughs up the PAC 10 to Oregon... you still have the strength of schedule to brag about like we had last year with UC and TCU.

Think about it... say next year your schedule in this system is--

OU at Miami (I'm sure both schools would pansy and move this one down a little bit so they can warm up against lesser opponents, so not necessarily the opener)
OU at Mizzou
OU vs Baylor
OU vs. Iowa State
OU vs. Colorado
OU vs. Texas
OU at Kansas
OU vs. Kansas State
OU at Nebraska (would in time go back to where it belongs, on Thanksgiving Weekend)
OU vs. aTm
OU at Texaz Tech
OU vs OSU (game moves up in favor of OU/NU)

If you sweep the BIG 12, you're in... you can pull an Ohio State and pansy out of a conference championship contest. Last year's 3-way tie would have been an OU/TX rematch up in COOOOOLD KC. Not so cool if we got stuck in San Antonio they year before playing Texass again.