PDA

View Full Version : NFL mini camp notes

stoops the eternal pimp
5/1/2009, 06:45 PM
Bears

Iglesias looks impressive at start of Chicago Bears mini-camp
By Vaughn McClure

It's easy to see why the Bears drafted Juaquin Iglesias out of Oklahoma.

He's displayed good hands and looks great running routes. He did, however, slip on the wet field and nearly twisted both knee.

The only thing he had close to a drop was an over-thrown ball off his fingertips. About the only drawback with Iglesias appears to be his quickness. He's a little slow out of the blocks. But this is Day 1, on a wet field no less.

stoops the eternal pimp
5/1/2009, 06:50 PM
Nic Harris

The Bills think Nic Harris can compete at outside linebacker even though he played his last two seasons at Oklahoma as a strong safety, and Harris is up for that challenge.

"It's a great opportunity to come out and play," he said. "Whatever the coach wants me to do, I'm willing to take a shot at it. My preference is just to be out on the field.''

stoops the eternal pimp
5/1/2009, 06:53 PM
Manny Johnson

The players wear helmets, jerseys and shorts for these practices, which are heavy on teaching. In other words, there isn't necessarily a whole lot of competition or action.

But here are some things that stuck out:

*The difference in the arm strength of the two quarterbacks is alarming. Stephen McGee gets some serious zip on the ball. Rudy Carpenter throws rainbow out routes. But McGee wasn't accurate on some throws and didn't put good touch on several short throws.

*McGee's inaccuracy gave seventh-round WR Manuel Johnson the chance to display his ability to adjust to the ball. He made one nice catch on a ball that was high and behind him and snared another pass off his shoetops

stoops the eternal pimp
5/1/2009, 06:57 PM
Jon Cooper

Jon Cooper, 6’ 2”, 295 lbs., Rookie

The Vikings got good value Sunday night when they were able to agree to terms with Cooper who was projected as a 5th round prospect but slid and went undrafted. As a three year starter at Oklahoma, Cooper seemed able to make up for his small stature and lack of power by utilizing his speed, quickness, smarts, and technique to out-do his opponents. Cooper is not your prototypical center because of his small size, but if he was going to thrive anywhere, it’d probably be on a team that has a zone-blocking scheme like the Vikings do. While I would be surprised if Cooper cracked the 53 man roster this year, I’d also be surprised if he didn’t eventually turn into a solid NFL center.

stoops the eternal pimp
5/1/2009, 07:00 PM
Quentin Chaney

Oklahoma WR Quentin Chaney, one of 15 undrafted college players signed on Monday, failed a physical.

Collier11
5/1/2009, 07:03 PM
sweet, keep em coming

goingoneight
5/1/2009, 09:06 PM
QC phailed a fysical? What kinda physical?

Curly Bill
5/1/2009, 10:01 PM
Thanks for the updates STEP.

SoonerInFortSmith
5/2/2009, 01:38 PM
I'd love to see both Manny and Travis Wilson contribute for Dallas this year. Lord knows someone needs to step up at receiver. And I don't think it will be the fake Roy Williams.

goingoneight
5/2/2009, 02:13 PM
I think TFRW will get obviously more looks, but I'm not sure he can handle being the 1 everytime with safeties foaming at the mouth to obliterate him like TO could.

SoonerInFortSmith
5/2/2009, 02:17 PM
It's a good thing there were no sure-fire number 1 receivers in the draft or I would be p****d that Dallas traded their first pick for TFRW. As it is I am only moderately annoyed.

goingoneight
5/2/2009, 02:18 PM
There was, just Al Davis was too retarded to pick him up.

stoops the eternal pimp
5/3/2009, 10:30 AM
Not much on Manny as yesterday's roof collapse was the big story..I know that Michael Irvin was there giving pointers to the rookie wr crew and he spent some time with manny..

Iglesias having a nice couple of days of rookie camp

While all eyes may have been on the first overall pick the Bears had last Sunday, most fans also want word on how wide receivers Juaquin Iglesias and Johnny Knox looked in his drills. The reports are positive regarding Iglesias as well. He stood out for how well he’s put together at around 6-foot-2 212-pounds and he showed good quickness coming out of his breaks in the route running he was doing, and showed great hands catching numerous balls in practice.

Knox is as fast as advertised and his hands are at a level that if he put it all together mentally he could be a good receiver for the Bears. Knox come in like former Bear Bernard Berrian, a mid round draft selection from a smaller non-BCS level school with a ton of raw athletic potential good hands, but that just needs to be polished up some over the next couple of years.

Coach Smith stated “I liked what our receivers did, Juaquin Iglesias and Johnny Knox. Both have a lot of upside and can run well.”

Iglesias and Knox both were excited to be out there for their first day of practice and spoke with the media afterward about how proud they are to be wearing a Chicago Bears uniform.

Juaquin Iglesias talked about what his mind set was coming into practice even with a hole in the roster where Iglesias is likely to fit in “No matter what they had (in the way of openings to play) I think I was going to come in here and work as hard as I can and try to play regardless of who is here. I’m just trying to do the best I can and get as much as I can from Coach Drake.”

Johnny Knox too was able to talk to the media stating “I’m really excited, just trying to get the feel for the field because it’s different up here than it is down there in Houston. Just trying to get used to it.”

Both Iglesias and Knox were a bit overwhelmed with the difference between the NFL playbook and their college playbook. Both mentioned to the media how they are doing their best to pick it up and they hope to be able to digest it and then utilize what they’ve learned out on the field in practice this weekend.

The playbook is what hamstrung fellow rookie Earl Bennett last year from playing but both Knox and Iglesias seemed pretty determined to not let that happen to them. They realize the opening that exists on the roster for receivers that fit the mold of the type of receivers they are. Iglesias a tough physical over the middle first down machine with great hands, Knox a speedy receiver with great burst and hands to go deep and catch something underneath and is a threat to score on any given play.

Wide receiver Juaquin Iglesias looks the part. He has good size and catches the ball well with his hands. But if skill position players don't stand out in 7-on-7 drills and drills vs. air, well, then you have a real problem on your hands.

Juaquin Iglesias should develop a lot faster than the last receiver the Bears got out of Oklahoma Mark Bradley. Iglesias has played at receiver a lot more than Bradley did coming out of college, and has led Oklahoma in receiving the last two seasons. He should prove to be a nice addition to the Bears receiving core.

Nothing too exciting happened in the final hour of Day 2 of Bears rookie mini-camp. Head coach Lovie Smith continued to praise receiver Juaquin Iglesias and cornerback D.J. Moore.

Smith also spoke highly of another drafted player, receiver Johnny Knox.

"Those are some of the guys that we drafted a little bit higher, and you want them to stand out a little bit," Smith said. "So I thought they did some good things."

soonerfan28
5/3/2009, 11:06 AM
W/ Q Chaney failing a physical, is he gone?

stoops the eternal pimp
5/3/2009, 12:06 PM
from what I understand yeah...its not official, but its hard making a roster as an UDFA, and its really hard to make it when you fail a physical..put those two together, and it isn't good

(On the status of Oklahoma WR Quentin Chaney)
“He failed his physical. That was the only one we had.”

stoops the eternal pimp
5/3/2009, 12:07 PM
Allen Patrick has been released by the browns

JLEW1818
5/3/2009, 01:04 PM
I think TFRW will get obviously more looks, but I'm not sure he can handle being the 1 everytime with safeties foaming at the mouth to obliterate him like TO could.

agree

cowgirls 2009

7-9

How can they be better in 2009? Is what i tell people

starclassic tama
5/3/2009, 02:24 PM
i'm gonna be the first to claim calling iglesias out as a solid pro. i defended him when some on this board said he was average and they were glad to see him go. absurd. the dude was a helluva player and i think he will have a good career

Curly Bill
5/3/2009, 03:13 PM
i'm gonna be the first to claim calling iglesias out as a solid pro. i defended him when some on this board said he was average and they were glad to see him go. absurd. the dude was a helluva player and i think he will have a good career

You defended him when we called you out for saying he was well above average. I hope he has an awesome pro career, but at no point in his college career was he well above average.

starclassic tama
5/3/2009, 03:18 PM
that is false. iglesias was far above average.

goingoneight
5/3/2009, 03:39 PM
He had two primary weaknesses. The deep post and his acceleration. Not great, but decent speed. I think in college his elusiveness made up for the speed. It's already been noted that he doesn't get off blocks and accelerate very fast, but hey, that's what conditioning is for.

Collier11
5/3/2009, 04:40 PM
Iglesias was a good but not great college player, he will be a good solid pro.

Curly Bill
5/3/2009, 06:16 PM

Agreed.

SoonernAR
5/3/2009, 06:33 PM
I wonder if Iglesisas's ability to hold on to the football in traffic might be a problem in the pros.

SoonerInFortSmith
5/3/2009, 07:24 PM
That's why he dropped those passes in the MNC game. He was an above average member of the FLA defense.

Curly Bill
5/3/2009, 08:08 PM
Holy carp, no one has turned you two guys red yet? Surely one of our crimson shades wearers will be along shortly to remedy that?

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
5/3/2009, 08:31 PM
He had two primary weaknesses. The deep post and his acceleration. Not great, but decent speed. I think in college his elusiveness made up for the speed. It's already been noted that he doesn't get off blocks and accelerate very fast, but hey, that's what conditioning is for.

his biggest weaknesses in college were - 1) he took plays off - which people in this thread defended btw - and 2) he sucked in clutch situations.

he was a really really good player at OU that would have been great had malcolm kelly went to texas.

starclassic tama
5/3/2009, 11:36 PM

agreed, good is well above average

ouleaf
5/3/2009, 11:37 PM
I think Iggy wound up in a good situation being drafted by Chicago. He will need some time to develop further before we can say if he is a success or failure in the NFL. The Bears don't appear to be very deep at WR, so he should get plenty of chances to see what he's got pretty early on. Earlier than if he were on a team that is set at WR.

starclassic tama
5/3/2009, 11:41 PM
looks like iglesias is wearing #17 in chicago

Collier11
5/3/2009, 11:53 PM
He will need some time to develop further before we can say if he is a success or failure in the NFL.

Sorry but thats funny, he hasnt played a down yet, do ya think it might take some time, lol! :D

SoonernAR
5/4/2009, 06:42 AM
Holy carp, no one has turned you two guys red yet? Surely one of our crimson shades wearers will be along shortly to remedy that?

I didn't mean to sound like I was bashing the guy, just a objective opinion from a pro outlook. He made alot more good plays than bad for us, lucky to have had him here.

badger
5/4/2009, 07:27 AM
I didn't mean to sound like I was bashing the guy, just a objective opinion from a pro outlook. He made alot more good plays than bad for us, lucky to have had him here.

Fair enough... but as for the other guy, no reason to call one of our players a Florida defender. Boo to you, sir :mad:

Personally, Chi-town will be good Iggy (even if as a Packer fan, I don't like seeing more Sooners going to one of our rivals). They just brought in a new quarterback (well, he's new to da Bears, at least) and so they can kind of learn the Chicago system together.

I should insert a joke here about how Chicago's system is to tell Rex not to eff up too badly, then rely on Tommie and Brian's defense to stop the other team :D

But I won't, because I know some of you like da Bears here ;)

SoonerInFortSmith
5/4/2009, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by badger

Fair enough... but as for the other guy, no reason to call one of our players a Florida defender. Boo to you, sir

SoonernAR didn't call him a FLA defender. I did.
While I do appreciate Iggy's career at OU, it is my opinion that he made the gator defense better on a couple plays that game.

badger
5/4/2009, 11:00 AM
SoonernAR didn't call him a FLA defender. I did.

So you would understand that the "boo" was to you then, right? You're fairly new here, but I thought that it was clear that when I said "as for the other guy," I was referring to the other guy, aka you.

While I do appreciate Iggy's career at OU, it is my opinion that he made the gator defense better on a couple plays that game.

One game does not a gator defender make. He has been a good Sooner and I hope he does well in the NFL.

Crucifax Autumn
5/4/2009, 11:18 AM
Friggin other guy! :D

badger
5/4/2009, 11:21 AM
Friggin other guy! :D

Run 'em over with a photoshopped schooner ;)

Really, why are we arguing over this? It's not like I turned your meter orange or anything (yet, hehe). Rather, I just didn't think Iggy deserved that gator tag after all he's done for OU and hopefully, all he will do for OU in the future :D

So... back to Iggy. Here's to hoping that Lovie Dovie doesn't give him the Mark Bradley treatment, resulting in Tommie getting the Lovie bench treatment, resulting in the Packers still not having a winning season despite all that Bear discourse :mad:

;)

MojoRisen
5/4/2009, 11:55 AM
Iggy is well above avg player ~ He was picked in the top 100 players in all of CFB....

He is quick, good hands and has lot's of moves - 4.55 may be a bit slow but it is plenty fast to go along with his Ath abilities.

I think he will be a solid pro - was he an all american?? No but he was plenty good for us... Returned kicks extremely well - lead the nation.

stoops the eternal pimp
5/4/2009, 02:32 PM
little something Loadholt

By MARK CRAIG, Star Tribune

Last update: May 2, 2009 - 12:48 AM
Featured comment

The Vikings' first-round draft pick was nowhere to be seen, but their second-round pick might have been visible from outer space.

"You can't miss him," Vikings coach Brad Childress said when asked about offensive tackle Phil Loadholt after the team's first rookie minicamp workout Friday.

"I told these guys here, 'That's a big man.' Great reach. Athletic. Got good feet. With his reach and that length, it's hard [for defenders] to get away from that guy."

Loadholt, wearing No. 71, towered over nine other rookies on Friday and is officially the biggest guy on the roster. The Vikings list left tackle Bryant McKinnie at 6-8, 335, but Loadholt is a bigger load.

"I told [McKinnie] today that we got a guy that we measured at 6-8 and some change, and 340 pounds," Childress said.

While he was impressed by Loadholt's first workout, Childress stopped well short of handing the big fella the starting right tackle spot ahead of incumbent Ryan Cook. "I see it as a good competition out there," Childress said.

Childress also said he envisions Loadholt having the flexibility of being able to play both tackle positions.

stoops the eternal pimp
5/4/2009, 02:34 PM
More love for Iggy

Offensive coordinator Ron Turner breaks down drafted receivers
By Vaughn McClure

After the Bears' three-day rookie mini-camp, offensive coordinator Ron Turner saw enough of drafted receivers Juaquin Iglesias, Johnny Knox, and Derek Kinder to feel optimistic about their futures. Here's what Turner had to say about them.

Iglesias: "What did I like about him? Everything. He caught the ball really well. Runs good routes. Comes off the ball pretty well. He still has to pick up on that a little bit, but he learned well. He's just a good kid. He's driven to be great.

stoops the eternal pimp
5/4/2009, 02:37 PM
Nic Harris:

Defensively fifth-round pick Nic Harris had a pass breakup on a play that was going to tight end Travis McCall. Harris shadowed the tight end well in coverage and got his hand in the passing lane to prevent the completion.

"I’m just trying to make plays," said Harris. "Right now just being an athletic guy, being brought down to the linebacker position. I played a little bit at OU, not necessarily linebacker, but covering receivers and stuff like that. Kind of with the scheme right now it’s an every down linebacker. It’s new, but I’m learning on the curve."

stoops the eternal pimp
5/4/2009, 02:37 PM
more on nic

Nic Harris is making a nice transition to LB. He has no problem handling coverage assignments. He’s got a lot of confidence in his ability to adapt mentally and physically to linebacker and this scheme is a perfect fit for a guy that runs as well as he does. Had a nice pass breakup in the morning practice today.

stoops the eternal pimp
5/4/2009, 02:40 PM
duke

OG Duke Robinson is a pretty big guy, but still not as big as Jeff Otah. I think he might turn out to be the steal of this draft for the Panthers when we look back in a few years.

badger
5/4/2009, 02:44 PM
Thanks for the updates. In honor of NP flying through Atlanta, anything on Curtis "he's a man, he's No. 40!" Lofton?

stoops the eternal pimp
5/4/2009, 03:03 PM
Nothing so far on Lofton as he probably isn't participating since this is rookies...I have heard from a couple of people that he is the only Atlanta LB already penciled in as a starter

Sooner04
5/4/2009, 03:34 PM
Thanks for the updates. In honor of NP flying through Atlanta, anything on Curtis "he's a man, he's No. 40!" Lofton?
Lofton isn't a rookie.

SoonerInFortSmith
5/4/2009, 03:38 PM
For the record, I am glad the Bears like to pick Sooners. I hope all of them do well in the pros, and I am glad for everything they have done for us. I just hope they all get a fair shake in Chi-town, which has not always been the case.

And I can't be turned red because I am all Crimson.
My apologies for the newb mistakes.
BOOMER!

Curly Bill
5/4/2009, 05:49 PM

Oh no problem for me, I value an objective view, but we do have some posters that do not value objectivity when it comes to discussing Sooner players, or the Sooner team.

badger
5/4/2009, 07:10 PM
he is the only Atlanta LB already penciled in as a starter
still "the man," i see :D

i didn't want to start a new lofton thread... it just seemed like you were in "the know" for a lot of nfl-related stuff, so that's why I asked here :D

badger
5/4/2009, 07:17 PM
And I can't be turned red because I am all Crimson.
My apologies for the newb mistakes.
BOOMER!

You're fine :D My first post here I really pizzed off Soonerus. Your post didn't upset me, it just raised my eyebrow a tad because I really like Iggy.

Curly Bill
5/4/2009, 07:33 PM
You're fine :D My first post here I really pizzed off Soonerus. Your post didn't upset me, it just raised my eyebrow a tad because I really like Iggy.

SPEK for pizzing off rus with your first post! :D

badger
5/5/2009, 08:32 AM
Here (http://www.coloradoan.com/article/20090428/SPORTS/904280323/1006/SPORTS)is all I could find on Jon Cooper, which is pre-mini camp stuff.

"All in all, my agent said 16 teams offered me free-agent deals."

He said he chose the Vikings because they only had one center on their roster... some domer named John Sullivan who was a special-teamer last year, now in his second Neffel season.

So... any chance he not only makes the team, but starts? Their starter last year free agented out to the Ravens. Please provide any mini camp info you can find. Go Jon!

stoops the eternal pimp
5/5/2009, 08:38 AM
I think he stands a decent chance at making the roster, but not starting..He is gonna need to put on some size before becoming an NFL starting center....I could see him possibly starting somewhere in a couple of years though...

badger
5/5/2009, 08:58 AM
I think he stands a decent chance at making the roster, but not starting..He is gonna need to put on some size before becoming an NFL starting center....I could see him possibly starting somewhere in a couple of years though...

It has GOT to be a factor that he's worked with Phil and All Day (scuze me, I guess he's "Purple Jesus" now or whatev). I know they brought in a lot of line guys, but doesn't he at least have a chance?

I know it's a longshot for undrafted players to make rosters, period... but this seems like a unique situation here where so many offensive former teammates are coming together on the same NFL team

BornandBred
5/5/2009, 09:06 AM
Coop is a technician on the line. Being undersized his entire career to date, combined with the mass they'll put on him in camp along with what he's already added will mean he has a long and healthy career. I wouldn't be surprised if he was a starter in a year or two.

SoonerInFortSmith
5/5/2009, 11:39 AM

I really like him also. Just ready for some of our guys to step up on the big stage instead of kicking *** all year then being mere mortals at the end.

badger
5/5/2009, 12:17 PM
I really like him also. Just ready for some of our guys to step up on the big stage instead of kicking *** all year then being mere mortals at the end.

I think we are all ready for that :( I was at the last OU bowl victory and the way they played in the fourth quarter... oy. The ball spike at the end, the premature gatorade bath... I would have embraced those dreaded moments more if I'd have known what was coming in subsequent bowls.

I thought they really stepped up last year... Florida was just the better team that day... Demarco Murray needs to stay healthy!

badger
5/6/2009, 08:33 AM
Sporting News mentioned eight rookies that are making impacts in mini camps.

Among them was OU's own Phil Loadholt (http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=545538).

With Bryant McKinnie at left tackle and Loadholt at right tackle, the Minnesota line would have a couple of 6-8 book ends.

I am now picturing a promotional picture of Phil and Bryant acting as bookends for oversized novels in an NFL "reading is fun" promo poster and giggling. :D

badger
5/6/2009, 08:36 AM
Oh, and here's a funny quote from Iggy in this AP article (http://www.dailymail.com/ap/ApSports/200905010710)...

I'm just trying to make him my best friend right now. We'll make it work.

badger
5/6/2009, 08:38 AM
Guess who's trying out for the Cleveland Browns?

Branndon Braxton (http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2009/05/cleveland_browns_have_47_playe.html)!

Sooner04
5/6/2009, 08:59 AM
STEP,

your thread has been jacked.

badger
5/6/2009, 09:07 AM
pbbt. just cuz I google some info and post it doesn't mean I'm jacking his thread. we all know STEP is the real source for Sooner NFL info. I'm just posting links when I see them. Anyways, back to the topic at hand...

Are there any Sooners that just ran out of eligibility that were pursuing the NFL still not in a camp? Any word of Joey? Jacob?

stoops the eternal pimp
5/6/2009, 09:25 AM
Neither one of those guys are in a camp...I could see Joey making a run in some kind of run in Arena League if it survives(which isn't likely) or maybe in Canada...

stoops the eternal pimp
5/6/2009, 09:32 AM
Some info on Braxton

Braxton signed as a priority free agent, being offered a contract immediately after the 7th round ended.

According to the Badge's link, only 2 OL were brought in, so thats good....

And from what I'm hearing, another one of our OL that was tagged pre-draft as lazy or bad work ethic (Walker and Robinson the others)

badger
5/6/2009, 09:36 AM
Ok, for the sake of consistency, here's all of the OU Pro Day participants from this year (via SS.com). I filled in the ones I know. Are there any that haven't been mentioned yet?

Cory Bennett
Brett Bowers
Branndon Braxton- Browns ("priority free agent," eh? sounds good!)
Cortney Carter
Quentin Chaney - (he failed a physical) :(
Jon Cooper- Vikings (signed, undrafted free agent)
Alan Davis
Joey Halzle
Nic Harris - Bills (fifth round draft pick)
Lendy Holmes - Skins (signed, undrafted free agent)
Juaquin Iglesias- Bears (third round draft pick)
Manuel Johnson- Cowboys (seventh round draft pick)
Mike Knall
Phil Loadholt- Vikings (second round draft pick)
Duke Robinson- Panthers (fifth round draft pick)
Brandon Walker- Texans (signed, undrafted free agent)
Darien Williams

I kind of just threw all of that on from memory (mostly from reading your stuff on this thread, heh), so please correct it if it's wrong... any word on the guys that have blanks next to their names?

stoops the eternal pimp
5/6/2009, 09:50 AM
comments from David Irons on Braxton

David Irons Sr., owner of Georgia Training Alliance, Inc., said that Braxton has a great chance to make the team.

Irons was told Cleveland would take 12 offensive linemen to camp and keep seven. Braxton is the only free agent tackle being brought in.

Braxton also attended the University of Oklahoma.

“He’s ready,” said Irons. “Whatever happened at Oklahoma, he’s past that. He displayed that in his work ethic in my gym.”

Dallas, New Orleans, Tampa Bay and Chicago were among other teams inquiring about Braxton’s availability Sunday night and Monday.

“To be in that mix of offensive linemen among the few drafted is pretty good,” Irons said.

He said that, at 6-6 and with long arms, Braxton is an excellent reach blocker.

“He’ll get his hands on you before you get your hands on him,” Irons said. “Developing his strength and run-blocking skills are what he needs to continue to work on.

soonerfan28
5/6/2009, 09:51 AM
Rufus Alexander released by Indy.

stoops the eternal pimp
5/6/2009, 09:53 AM
From everything I've read and heard, none of the guys with blanks were invited anywhere....I really liked Bennett as a college player, but way undersized for DL...heck he was undersize for a college DL player

badger
5/6/2009, 09:58 AM
Rufus Alexander released by Indy.

well ****. :mad:

this guy is better than this. it all goes back to that b.s. arrest that dropped his draft stock, doesn't it? he suddenly is no longer a priority draft pick, so he is easier to cut... then he goes to a team that didn't invest a draft pick in him, making him even easier to cut.

rufus is a good player and a hard worker... i hope he find his nfl home soon.

soonerfan28
5/6/2009, 10:01 AM
Badger the link is broken or at least it was when I tried it.

badger
5/6/2009, 10:04 AM
Badger the link is broken or at least it was when I tried it.

You can blame the asterisk filter on your broken link - I removed it from the quotation in the post for your benefit :D

soonerfan28
5/6/2009, 10:05 AM
Thanks.

stoops the eternal pimp
5/6/2009, 10:11 AM
Some other big 12ers

Josh Freeman

The Bucs didn't need to be reassured that trading up two spots and taking Freeman with the 17th pick in the draft was the right thing to do. They were reassured anyway after Friday's workout.

Though his first throw went a little awry and he was victimized by a run of dropped balls, Freeman showed the ability to command a huddle, deliver a play and execute it.

"He was nervous [in the] morning [walkthrough], but he really did a nice job [in the] afternoon [practice], picking up what we're trying to do right now," Bucs offensive coordinator Jeff Jagodzinski said.

"And what we're trying to do, particularly with Josh, is get him to understand the terminology, how we call things, what we're looking for as far as the read goes."

Freeman said his primary goal for Friday was to prove to his coaches and teammates that he had a good understanding of the offense that he first started studying just three days earlier.

"I really wanted to have the formations down so that when I stepped into the huddle it sounded like I'd been saying it for years," Freeman said. "I wanted everything to go smooth."

For the most part it did. With nearly every coach and executive, including co-chairman Bryan Glazer, looking on, Freeman left nothing but positive impressions all across the board.

"You could tell by the way he threw the Football this afternoon that he was a lot more comfortable," said Doug Williams, a former first-round draft pick and quarterback who now heads up the Bucs' pro scouting department. "It was like he got that first [practice] out of the way, went to the meeting, saw what he did [on tape] and said, 'Hey, I can do this.'"

The Redskins are gonna use Orakpo in a different way than expected..They are gonna stand him up as a linebacker on 1st and 2nd down and then bring him down to the DE spot on 3rd down..pretty interesting plan

badger
5/6/2009, 10:14 AM
Some other big 12ers

Josh Freeman

The same Mike Leach quote about A&M and Stephen McGee could be said about KSU and Josh Freeman -- he deserved a better college career than what he got in Little Apple... but that's what you get for going to Little Apple :D

stoops the eternal pimp
5/6/2009, 10:18 AM
It appears Malcolm Kelly is still battling injuries..The redskins had several roster players at mini camp working out, but he was unable to...

EDIT: Kelly had a offseason knee surgery..

soonerfan28
5/6/2009, 10:19 AM
It appears Malcolm Kelly is still battling injuries..The redskins had several roster players at mini camp working out, but he was unable to...

It makes you wonder if he'll ever play in the NFL.

stoops the eternal pimp
5/6/2009, 10:20 AM
The same Mike Leach quote about A&M and Stephen McGee could be said about KSU and Josh Freeman -- he deserved a better college career than what he got in Little Apple... but that's what you get for going to Little Apple :D

And thats what my dispute with a lot of people was over Freeman..The reason why I had him going so high..The guy can't block for himself, get his receiver to run right routes, or heck catch his own pass...K State had nothing for talent..In fact I don't think they had any other players drafted..

stoops the eternal pimp
5/6/2009, 10:21 AM
It makes you wonder if he'll ever play in the NFL.

he might, but I don't ever see him developing into the superstar many thought he would a few years ago

badger
5/6/2009, 10:23 AM

Even though I've followed the Packers all of my life, there's a few things I don't understand with free agency (picture a little blond haired girl asking mommy and daddy "Why's my favorite player leaving Green Bay? Why?!"). Since it applies to mini camp, can you enlighten?

First, concerning contracts. Players sign contracts, and I'm all too aware that money is often not guaranteed. When do players start getting paid after they sign the deal? I've heard they get paid in 17 installments, one for each week of the regular NFL season... does this mean that no players get a penny until the start of the season and thus, some players never get paid at all no matter how long they stick around mini camp, preseason, etc?

Second, mini camp attendance. It's mostly for rookies, but does this also include players acquired through free agency from other teams that have NFL experience (like Jay Cutler to da bears), players that were injured during their first season (like MK in D.C.) or does it also include players that are just struggling to make a roster, no matter how much experience and stats they have?

soonerfan28
5/6/2009, 10:29 AM
And thats what my dispute with a lot of people was over Freeman..The reason why I had him going so high..The guy can't block for himself, get his receiver to run right routes, or heck catch his own pass...K State had nothing for talent..In fact I don't think they had any other players drafted..

I agree that he had no control over all of those elements, but he was notorious for showing up out of shape. I hope he doesn't fall into the JaMarcus Russell mold and show up this fall at 300 lbs.

BornandBred
5/6/2009, 10:34 AM
Even though I've followed the Packers all of my life, there's a few things I don't understand with free agency (picture a little blond haired girl asking mommy and daddy "Why's my favorite player leaving Green Bay? Why?!"). Since it applies to mini camp, can you enlighten?

First, concerning contracts. Players sign contracts, and I'm all too aware that money is often not guaranteed. When do players start getting paid after they sign the deal? I've heard they get paid in 17 installments, one for each week of the regular NFL season... does this mean that no players get a penny until the start of the season and thus, some players never get paid at all no matter how long they stick around mini camp, preseason, etc?

Second, mini camp attendance. It's mostly for rookies, but does this also include players acquired through free agency from other teams that have NFL experience (like Jay Cutler to da bears), players that were injured during their first season (like MK in D.C.) or does it also include players that are just struggling to make a roster, no matter how much experience and stats they have?

Player contracts tend to have incentives for the players, much like college head coaching contracts. Meaning, they have a base salary, make more money for each special point they reach, ie probowl, playoffs, etc. I'm not sure when they're paid, but I'd suspect it's monthly with incentives at the end of the year. Failing to accomplish something means no money. Which reminds me, Ricky Williams had to return a bunch of money for failed incentives, so I guess the payout timetable is prolly negotiable as well.

Mini camp is, from what I understand, suggested by the team. Meaning, they can require anyone they want to go. Experienced players tend not to go because they've got that base knowledge. I'd expect terminology, formations, basic practice routines, etc are things covered here. Look at the negotiations with Favre and Minny, they're going to require him to go to the camps, something the Jets didn't.

stoops the eternal pimp
5/6/2009, 10:40 AM
The last part is up to the coaches...in some cases you have to have roster players particpate because, especially in the 'skins position, there would be nobody for the quarterback to throw to...or in Culter's position, your trying to get adjusted to news players, new team....its really a team by team thing..and usually roster players will at least show up..

At a rookie camp you have 2 groups of players show up....Guys that the teams signs these contracts with, and tryout players...the reason these guys sign these contracts is because that team wants that player and it binds them to that team..the contracts are useless however, if the player does not make the roster(talking about the UDFA's..most drafted players will now have some guaranteed money in the contracts)....all players that participate in the camp will receiver a small amount of money, a per diem, and money to go back home on if they don't make it

badger
5/6/2009, 10:44 AM
money to go back home on if they don't make it

well that's nice of them, i guess... for every insane stafford contract, there's tons of players making the minimum or worse, the practice squad minimum... or even worse, the canadian football league minimum. seeing those guys go through the punishment they do in order to make a roster, i've always been curious if they get any compensation for being essentially blocking dummies that have no chance of making the final roster... but there you go - per diem and a plane ticket home.

stoops the eternal pimp
5/6/2009, 10:56 AM
some funny news one of our favorite quarterbacks

Jim Zorn’s wacky drills make their return: it’s Dodge Ball with Redskins quarterbacks.

Basically, a quarterback stands in a circle and his fellow QBs throw giant rubber balls at him. The drill tests the quarterback’s mobility in the pocket.

Colt Brennan showed some good movement in avoiding the dodge balls--only one of Jason Campbell’s tosses struck him lightly.

Undrafted rookie Chase Daniel appeared to struggle at the drill. He was hit three times, twice in the back and once on the right leg.

Tryout QB Joe Ganz did fine until Campbell’s throw nailed him on the shoulder.

Even Todd Collins got hit several times, so it wasn’t just an issue of experience.

Try as they might, the backup quarterbacks could not touch Campbell with a dodge ball. He showed great movement and even maintained proper footwork.

badger
5/6/2009, 11:06 AM
STEP, that is awesome - I wonder if it was Lendy, despite not being a QB, got to partake?

stoops the eternal pimp
5/6/2009, 11:07 AM
Going through their mini camp notes, I saw no mention of Lendy doing anything....not a good sign

stoops the eternal pimp
5/6/2009, 11:23 AM
Allen Patrick had a tryout with the Jets and had a great weekend with them...couple of observers said he was the best player on the field, including Sanchez, Saturday..made some nice catches, has good initial burst...I really like his chances of making the team considering all the buzz going on about him..

SoonerShay
5/6/2009, 12:29 PM
Allen Patrick had a tryout with the Jets and had a great weekend with them...couple of observers said he was the best player on the field, including Sanchez, Saturday..made some nice catches, has good initial burst...I really like his chances of making the team considering all the buzz going on about him..

I heard them talk about AP on NFL radio recently. Someone was saying they saw him at Browns camp and he looked really good out there. They then said people like him need somewhere to go and be able to still play if they don't make a team, like the MLB and NBA have right now.

The topic was on the UFL being the NFLs developmental league for players like AP that are good but the team just doesn't have room for at the moment.

BornandBred
5/6/2009, 12:48 PM
I heard them talk about AP on NFL radio recently. Someone was saying they saw him at Browns camp and he looked really good out there. They then said people like him need somewhere to go and be able to still play if they don't make a team, like the MLB and NBA have right now.

The topic was on the UFL being the NFLs developmental league for players like AP that are good but the team just doesn't have room for at the moment.

The trouble I can see there is that in the MLB they draft somebody high, put him through the lower levels, triple A, etc, and they don't risk much injury compared to football. Due to the violent nature of the game, I'd expect you'd lose a lot of draft pics from injury if they were forced to go through the lower levels first. You could always just bring them right in I suppose. But I'd bet you wouldn't have much productivity out of RBs that went through that process. I think the practice squads are about as good a development program as you could get.

badger
5/6/2009, 12:49 PM
Shay, as much as I'd love to have more football and more football opportunities for Sooner alumni to continue playing, the track record for alternative leagues just isn't very good lately.

There was some upstart league that Eric Crouch was going to play in where teams took in players with local ties and had names like "Team Texas" and "Team Florida" that folded because of lack of enthusiasm from fans.

Arena football... I've been to games and they're fun (bring earplugs to combat all the noisemakers), but you don't talk about canceling seasons during recessions for financially-sound leagues.

NFL Europe... as it turns out, was just the NFL trying to gain popularity in Europe, not intended to be continued forever. Too bad. Nate Hybl got a lot of experience overseas through that.

The WWE's XFL... when good intentions turn out horribly. There was huge ratings initially (10 million for opening week, I think), but a non-competitive game, scantily clad cheerleaders and undertalented pros turned fans off... and lost NBC and the WWE/WWF collectively about $25 million, if I recall correctly.

For football fans it seems, there already is a development league... and it's college ball. Fans don't seem ready to embrace second major league.

badger
5/12/2009, 08:01 AM
It's been about a week - any updates on any alums?

soonerinabilene
5/12/2009, 08:17 AM
some funny news one of our favorite quarterbacks

Try as they might, the backup quarterbacks could not touch Campbell with a dodge ball.

heh, the backups must really suck.

stoops the eternal pimp
5/12/2009, 08:20 AM
not much news out there now that most of the camps are over and done...Brandon Walker still has camp coming up this weekend...

over at nfl.com, Iglesias was rated one of the top rookies for fantasy football teams next year...

Juaquin Iglesias, WR, Chicago: Jay Cutler doesn't have a full complement of veteran wide receivers in Chicago and did just fine feeding the ball to rookie wideout Eddie Royal in Denver last year. Iglesias is a polished route runner and should find his way into the Bears' three-wide receiver package if not the starting lineup. With defenses keying on Matt Forte and the quality tight ends on the roster, Iglesias should produce some decent numbers. I would consider him in rounds eight or nine.

badger
5/12/2009, 10:13 AM
So... did Chase Daniel get the booger... I mean, the boot?

stoops the eternal pimp
5/12/2009, 10:24 AM
Nobody gets the boot this early unless you fail a physical or you someone like me who has no business trying out

badger
5/12/2009, 10:35 AM
In that case, I'll ask the opposite - is it possible to get the un-boot if you at first fail a physical... like... say... Quentin Chaney?

stoops the eternal pimp
5/12/2009, 10:52 AM
Its possible depending on what causes you to fail the physical...If its an actual physical ailment, then its hard to get back in on another team quickly...If a team has a tough physical(I heard that Spagnola ran a pretty rough camp and may have expected more than a typical team) such as "I want you to run _amount of times and complete in this time frame". then he could probably work out for another team...If it is a failed pisser, then not likely..

I do know he isn't the only one that failed their physical..a runningback from oregon state did too

Scott D
5/12/2009, 04:14 PM
running backs from oregon state have been known for whizzinator usage also.

badger
5/13/2009, 08:15 AM
running backs from oregon state have been known for whizzinator usage also.

you mean the little guy that made sanchez throw his mouthguard in the annual Innuendo Bowl? awww, that guy was fun to watch!

...but you can tell how well i remember him, seeing as (a) it might be a different RB and (b) I don't remember the dude's name

Scott D
5/13/2009, 12:51 PM
it wasn't Jaquiz Rodgers, he was only a freshman this year. This is a guy who has been out of Oregon State for a few years.

stoops the eternal pimp
5/13/2009, 03:40 PM
Onterrio Smith

Collier11
5/13/2009, 03:48 PM
he was oregon wasnt he?

stoops the eternal pimp
5/13/2009, 03:52 PM
thats right...and he left early

Collier11
5/13/2009, 03:54 PM
def a thug, went to the vikings I think

stoops the eternal pimp
5/13/2009, 04:20 PM
I had forgot about Travis Wilson...He has a very outside chance of making the roster for the Cowboys...His biggest problem it seems is his mouth from a few observers...Manuel Johnson has a better shot than Wilson does at this point

SoonerInFortSmith
5/13/2009, 04:26 PM
I'd like to see 'em get rid of Scandrick and Hurd and keep both Sooners.

Scott D
5/13/2009, 05:53 PM
I had forgot about Travis Wilson...He has a very outside chance of making the roster for the Cowboys...His biggest problem it seems is his mouth from a few observers...Manuel Johnson has a better shot than Wilson does at this point

apparently Travis didn't learn a whole lot in his days in Cleveland.

badger
5/18/2009, 02:28 PM
Brandon Walker was an undrafted free agent for the Texans... I wonder if this (http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=298&articleid=20090518_298_0_NORMAN552231) will effect his ability to make the team? :(

stoops the eternal pimp
5/18/2009, 02:36 PM
well his camp starts today, and judging on the fact that he was out getting his drink on this weekend, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that he probably isn't in any shape to make an NFL roster....

stoops the eternal pimp
5/18/2009, 02:40 PM
More Allen Patrick news...He tries out for the Jets, does really well, but is not signed to a contract...The Giants sneak in, sign him to a contract, and he is taken handoffs from Bomar now.

NormanPride
5/18/2009, 02:49 PM
That's gotta be weird.

badger
5/18/2009, 02:55 PM
More Allen Patrick news...He tries out for the Jets, does really well, but is not signed to a contract...The Giants sneak in, sign him to a contract, and he is taken handoffs from Bomar now.

un...comf...ort...able... :eek:

:les:Somebody sign Allen! He's a good player! [hairGel]

ouleaf
5/18/2009, 07:35 PM
I'd like to see 'em get rid of Scandrick and Hurd and keep both Sooners.

Unless one of them is going to take up Corner Back, that is not going to happen. Scandrick is a CB, and is probably the early favorite to start next year opposite Newman.

Realistically I say Wilson probably has the better chance of making the rotation than Manny just based on his NFL experience and bigger size. With that said, I'm not sure either of them make it off the practice squad this year barring injury.

OU-HSV
5/18/2009, 08:49 PM
To add to that news, I found this new photo of Rhett handing AP the ball.
http://search.espn.go.com/allen-patrick/

badger
5/19/2009, 06:38 AM
To add to that news, I found this new photo of Rhett handing AP the ball.
http://search.espn.go.com/allen-patrick/

On that same page is this:
http://assets.espn.go.com/media/apphoto/f92e0206-7207-42a1-bda7-1de1ee63a5d4.jpg
If he actually caught a ball like that, I'd say the Jets had found a keeper :D

stoops the eternal pimp
5/19/2009, 12:42 PM
still got nothing on Brandon Walker...I watched part of the first day of OTA and I didn't see him....and the Texans signed another guard yesterday, so that doesn't bode well for Walker

stoops the eternal pimp
5/19/2009, 12:51 PM
The Texans are incredibly thin at guard...if he would get his crap together, he has a good chance of making the team

colleyvillesooner
5/19/2009, 01:56 PM
Unless one of them is going to take up Corner Back, that is not going to happen. Scandrick is a CB, and is probably the early favorite to start next year opposite Newman.

Realistically I say Wilson probably has the better chance of making the rotation than Manny just based on his NFL experience and bigger size. With that said, I'm not sure either of them make it off the practice squad this year barring injury.

I think he meant Stanback.

badger
5/19/2009, 02:00 PM
Posting that Allen Patrick pic gave me an idea... any other sightings of Sooners in non-Sooner gear around the NFL?

Nic Harris @ Bills:
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0a2CbHd3Dt9AZ/340x.jpg
Iggy @ Bears:
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/06TG8sR344gLR/610x.jpg
Manny @ Boys (trying to steal the ball from A&M's Stephen McGee, lol)
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/01wq9h10A12RG/340x.jpg
Loadholt @ Vikings:
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/07Bc5zo0VG3On/340x.jpg
Any others, or do we have to wait for preseason games to start? :)

Sooner04
5/19/2009, 02:17 PM
Iggy @ Bears:
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/06TG8sR344gLR/610x.jpg
This looks like it came on a crucial 3rd and 6. ;)

stoops the eternal pimp
5/20/2009, 09:32 AM
kinda confused, but it looks likes they re-signed Brandon Walker yesterday

stoops the eternal pimp
5/20/2009, 10:32 AM
OK...The DOK says he was released

badger
5/20/2009, 10:56 AM
So basically, Walker got the boot when he got arrested, but then, upon further examination of their depth at guard, they were like "Awww, life's full of second chances and our franchise's history isn't full of playoff appearances?"

Basically?

stoops the eternal pimp
5/20/2009, 11:04 AM
trying to find out this from HoustonTexans.com

5/19/2009 Signed RB Clifton Dawson and G Brandon Walker

The Oklahoman article says he was released....My guess is he is off the team

trwxxa
5/20/2009, 07:35 PM
Yes, Walker was waived yesterday.

badger
5/21/2009, 07:32 AM
Ok, so was Walker waived then re-signed, or was he just waived, bye-bye, don't want DUI'd free agents on the team, especially ones we didn't use draft pick on, you're not worth the hassle and bad publicity, bye-bye?

stoops the eternal pimp
5/21/2009, 12:47 PM
Note on Jon Cooper from Minnesota

C Jon Cooper, Oklahoma

Probably the best way to describe center Jon Cooper is perfectionist.

Cooper is a very smart player who is very good with his technique. He has great awareness of where defenders are and where they might blitz from. Besides his technique, Cooper has the experience of playing under a big spotlight at Oklahoma and pressure doesn't get to him.

However, Cooper doesn't have he best size for a center (6'1) and doesn't have a lot of bulk to his frame. Many find his wing span too short. Although he was a very good player in college, he might not have the abilities to make it in the pros. He will battle with John Sullivan and Ryan Cook to win a job on the Vikings' offensive line

Collier11
5/21/2009, 12:54 PM
when are coaches and scouts going to stop looking at measurables and start looking at results? Cooper would be a good pro if given a chance I would think

SoonerInFortSmith
5/21/2009, 05:47 PM
I think he meant Stanback.

Yeah, what he said.

badger
5/21/2009, 08:38 PM
when are coaches and scouts going to stop looking at measurables and start looking at results? Cooper would be a good pro if given a chance I would think

jerry rice is too slow! he'll never be a good wide receiver! [/coach obsessed with measurables]

Sooner04
5/21/2009, 11:17 PM
It seems like GMs look for what's wrong more than what's right. I don't know if guys like Jerry Rice or Walter Payton get drafted in these times.

badger
5/22/2009, 09:32 AM
Hey STEPer, any changes to the previous status of our recent Sooner alums?

Cory Bennett
Brett Bowers
Branndon Braxton- Browns ("priority free agent," eh? sounds good!)
Cortney Carter
Quentin Chaney - (he failed a physical)
Jon Cooper- Vikings (signed, undrafted free agent)
Alan Davis
Joey Halzle
Nic Harris - Bills (fifth round draft pick)
Lendy Holmes - Skins (signed, undrafted free agent)
Juaquin Iglesias- Bears (third round draft pick)
Manuel Johnson- Cowboys (seventh round draft pick)
Mike Knall
Phil Loadholt- Vikings (second round draft pick)
Duke Robinson- Panthers (fifth round draft pick)
Brandon Walker- Texans (signed, undrafted free agent)
Darien Williams

I'm still confused about the status of Walker :confused:

stoops the eternal pimp
5/22/2009, 11:37 PM
everything is correct still, cept for Walker...and Walker is currently trying to find another team

Collier11
5/22/2009, 11:42 PM
So Halze hasnt even gotten a tryout, that surprises me

stoops the eternal pimp
5/22/2009, 11:44 PM
27 teams watched him workout and none of them bit.....I think arena football, if it survives, would be a good fit

Collier11
5/22/2009, 11:46 PM
yea, I was just hopeful that he would atleast get a tryout

Collier11
5/22/2009, 11:49 PM
If you had to take a guess, how many of our guys make a team this year.

Obviously Iggy and Phil are Locks
Duke is pretty close to a lock I would imagine if he works his butt off

Ive been hearing good things about Coop and Nic

Manny, Lendy, and Braxton are long shots I would guess...what are ya thinkin STEP?

Also, are Cody and Nicholson done now?

stoops the eternal pimp
5/23/2009, 12:10 AM
Cody and Nicholson are done.....Manny is competing for the last receiver spot at Dallas and I would say he has a decent chance to get that spot...the more Travis Wilson acts like a punk, the better Manny's chances get...

Lendy made virtually no buzz during the 3 day rookie camp, which isn't good but they did sign him to a contract...He'll probably won't make it past the 2nd round of cuts in the pre season...

Braxton has a good chance as Cleveland didn't bring hardly any guards into camp....if his laziness creeps back in, then he won't last long...

Curly Bill
5/23/2009, 12:14 AM
So Halze hasnt even gotten a tryout, that surprises me

Seriously?

You did watch him play right? ;)

:D

stoops the eternal pimp
5/23/2009, 12:14 AM
BTW, Malcolm Kelly had micro fracture bone surgery in the off season which is the same surgery I had in december...and its the same surgery greg oden had his rookie season that kept him out all year his rookie season....His recovery is going nicely and is expected to be available by June OTAs....from the Redskins official website:

Campbell said during OTAs he has seen a “greater sense of urgency” this offseason in Thomas and Malcolm Kelly.

“Devin is getting a better understanding of the game,” Campbell said. “The more he can understand, the more he can help us. He’s an explosive guy. He’s a big play guy. The thing we want to do is continue to encourage him.”

It’s all part of “turning the page” for Thomas after what many regarded as a disappointing rookie season.

The former Michigan State standout was the Redskins’ top pick in the 2008 NFL Draft. He was selected in the second round with the 34th overall selection.

Thomas knows the spotlight is on both him and Kelly as they head into their sophomore seasons in the NFL.

They are regarded as key components to the Redskins’ passing game, which was ranked 23rd in the league last year.

“I feel like both Malcolm and I need to step up this year,” Thomas said. “They brought us in as second-round picks and a lot of people were looking for us to do something big last year.

“Being a receiver, you’re always going to deal with pressure, so yeah, the pressure is on. We’re looking forward to the challenge.”

Kelly struggled through an injury-plagued season, catching three passes for 18 yards. He continues to rehab from off-season knee surgery but is expected to be on the field when OTAs resume in June.

Collier11
5/23/2009, 12:27 AM
Hopefully Kelly can get healthy, too bad for Cody that he could never stay healthy

stoops the eternal pimp
5/23/2009, 12:44 AM
It can be a tough surgery to overcome....and it kinda leads me to believe that MK will not have a very long career even if he manages to have a good season...that surgery is an alternative to knee replacement creating a fake cartlidge that is not as good as the original...it may last a year or 2 before something else is done...its more common in the NBA than the NFL...some guys have been able to come back (Jason Kidd, Antonio McDyess, Amare Stoudemaire) and perform well and some (Chris Webber, Penny Hardaway, Terrell Brandon, Jamal Mashburn) never can get back to form and had to retire...

Collier11
5/23/2009, 12:57 AM
I remember it wrecked Brandons career

stoops the eternal pimp
6/9/2009, 03:59 PM
Curtis Lofton:

Falcons’ Lofton tackles new role: team leader
By D. ORLANDO LEDBETTER

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Sunday, May 10, 2009

Flowery Branch — For Curtis Lofton, the fog has cleared.

“Last year, I was just kind of learning on the go and just playing,” he said.

Still Lofton, who was taken in the second round of the 2008 NFL draft, managed to earn the starting middle linebacker position. He finished with 108 tackles, second most in the league for a rookie behind New England’s Jerod Mayo.

At this year’s mini-camp, Lofton is feeling more at home.

“Now,” he said, “I know what I’m doing. That allows me to play faster so I expect big things of myself.”

After the season, Lofton decided to get smaller and, hopefully, faster. He’s lost eight pounds and is down to 242, and he reduced his body fat from 15 to 9 percent.

With all of the offseason moves, Lofton is the lone returning starter along the linebacker unit. Longtime Falcon Keith Brooking left to sign with Dallas, and Michael Boley signed with the New York Giants in free agency.

Lining up next Lofton is Mike Peterson at weakside linebacker and Stephen Nicholas at strongside. Peterson played in head coach Mike Smith’s defense when he was an assistant in Jacksonville.

“Pete has been in the system for years, and Steve has a few years now,” Lofton said. “They are looking to me as a leader, but there are other leaders. … So it’s just a matter of us working together.”

Defensive coordinator Brian VanGorder, who coached Peterson when he was the linebackers coach in Jacksonville, is watching the unit closely.

“The chemistry part is always a challenge,” VanGorder said. “But certainly when you have a lot of new personnel, to collectively bring them together, the same standards and expectations, I think it’s something that you’re conscience of every day.”

Lofton concurs with VanGorder on the chemistry issue.

“Right now, it’s about getting to know each other and bonding,” Lofton said.

Last season, Lofton came off the field on third downs when the Falcons went to their nickel package. He’s slated to stay on the field and help in pass coverage.

“He’s just going to continue to improve,” VanGorder said.

In front of Lofton, the Falcons will have a new nose tackle. Last season’s starter, Grady Jackson, signed with the Detroit Lions as a free agent.

First round draft pick Peria Jerry, veteran Jason Jefferson and Trey Lewis, who is coming back from two surgeries on his right knee, will compete for that starting spot.

The spot is key for Lofton because the nose tackle can keep guards from attempting to block him.

“Trey is really a big guy,” Lofton said. “He moves really well.”

Lofton has noticed a change, no matter which tackle has been in front of him, during this mini-camp.

“The big thing that I see in our defensive line is that they are more explosive,” Lofton said.

The Falcons are also planning to play some alternating four-man and three-man fronts, depending on the situation. Lofton doesn’t expect that to change his role much.

“Whatever they call, we still have to play,” Lofton said.

In total, VanGorder is looking for five new starters - safety Lawyer Milloy is not back and cornerback Domonique Foxworth signed with Baltimore in free agency — on the defensive unit. With Lofton in place, at least he doesn’t have to worry about the middle linebacker spot.

“We always feel that things will sort themselves out,” VanGorder said. “We just have to remind the guys on a daily basis that it’s a competitive situation. They are competing for playing time.”

stoops the eternal pimp
6/9/2009, 04:03 PM
Nic Harris is practicing with the 2nd team D right now as the WLB..According to Nic he will be starting by the time the first game rolls around vs. New England on Monday Night Football

Collier11
6/9/2009, 04:04 PM
very cool, doesnt matter where you get drafted as long as you are playing (except in the wallet)

stoops the eternal pimp
6/9/2009, 04:22 PM
Iglesias is the number 3 receiver right now, but is competing for the number 2 spot

Scott D
6/9/2009, 04:40 PM
Maturity may be hitting Kelly at the right time

Ex-Sooners receiver starts NFL career with Redskins

By Charles Ward, The Oklahoma Daily 2 hours, 15 minutes ago

(CSTV U-WIRE) NORMAN, Okla.—ASHBURN, Va. —

Malcolm Kelly celebrated Oklahoma’s 2007 Big 12 championship victory with a freestyle rap staccatoed through an understandably huge grin.

After all, not only had his Sooners just hammered Missouri 38-17 to win their second conference crown in a row, but Kelly seemed set to launch his 6-foot-4 frame into the National Football League as talk of his being a first-round selection grew louder and louder. At the time, it seemed like 2008 would be Malcolm Kelly’s year.

It wasn’t.

First, Kelly missed OU’s Fiesta Bowl loss to West Virginia with a quadriceps injury. Then came his pro day, where, according to reports, Kelly lashed out at some Sooner coaches after a last-minute switch in running surfaces might have contributed to his less-than-stellar time in the 40-yard dash.

“I guess I learned from it a little bit,” Kelly said. “I should have talked it over more with [director of sports enhancement Jerry Schmidt]. I’m sorry for the way I blew up.”

Those concerns about injuries, speed and attitude caused Kelly’s name to slide into the second round of the draft, where the Washington Redskins selected him with the 51st overall pick. His quadriceps injury, along with arthroscopic knee surgery in August, limited Kelly to five games in his rookie season, where he caught just three passes for 18 yards. Another knee surgery in January followed a disappointing season for Kelly and the Redskins (8-8).

Kelly is now healthy and ready to shake off 2008.

“When I rolled out of my bed this morning, I was like ‘Man, this has been a long time coming,’” Kelly said after participating in his first full organized team activity of the off-season. “I was just anxious to get back out there and actually run a route, have a ball hit my hands and cut upfield.”

Though Kelly began 2009 with a surgery, it was a more minor procedure than doctors first believed.

In other words, Kelly finally caught a break.

“It was a real big relief, because at Oklahoma, I had the one knee problem [sophomore year],” Kelly said. “To keep me away from the field as long as it did last year, it turned on a light in me, that it wasn’t going to be as complicated as it was [thought to be].”

It seems to be enough to get Kelly on the field and up to full speed.

“What was nice [about the June 1 practice] was we didn’t have to give him any rest,” Redskins head coach Jim Zorn said. “He just took his normal reps. We didn’t limit him in any way. We didn’t put him on little short routes, hoping he could last for the practice. We just practiced him, and that was a tremendous sign.”

Kelly, if healthy, could quickly boost a Redskins’ offense that finished 23rd in passing yards per game last season.

“We will throw it to him deep,” Washington receivers coach Stan Hixon said. “He doesn’t have blazing speed, but really, you don’t need to have blazing speed with his height. Just get him in a jump ball situation, and we think we’ll get a catch or pass interference. Don’t let them catch it, and we’ll be fine.”

It was a strategy that Kelly employed often and effectively to hook up with Sam Bradford, Paul Thompson and Rhett Bomar for 2,285 yards and 21 touchdowns while at OU. Both of those numbers put Kelly second in school history for a career in those categories.

Kelly would also like to dwell on those, and other positives, when he considers his relationship with the OU, and not the harsh words he uttered after his pro day faux pas.

“I try to dial [controversy] down as much as I could, because I was there for three years, and there are a lot of fans there and I met a lot of people there, so I just didn’t want to burn that bridge like that,” he said.