PDA

View Full Version : Fiesta Bowl second game of a double header

Sooner24
4/30/2009, 11:21 PM
Probably the same guy that scheduled the Air Force One NYC fly over at work here. :rolleyes:

Fiesta Bowl angered by NFL scheduling snafu
A scheduling snafu with the NFL and the Arizona Cardinals has angered the officials who run the Fiesta Bowl. The Fiesta is the destination of the Big 12 champion unless that team is playing in the BCS championship game.

This year's Fiesta Bowl is scheduled for Jan. 4 at University of Phoenix Stadium. The Fiesta's agreement with the stadium and the NFL franchise is that the Cardinals won't play a regular-season game within two days prior to the bowl game. When the NFL schedule was released last week, the Cardinals are scheduled to play Green Bay on Jan. 3.

Arizona officials admit they failed to file paperwork with the NFL requesting that the Cardinals not be scheduled at home on Jan. 3. The NFL has said it will not change its schedule.

Fiesta Bowl Chief Executive John Junker said the bowl has requested a letter from the Cardinals organization pledging the scheduling snafu won't occur in the future.

Junker described the scheduling situation as "a huge concern. It is devastating." He said the Fiesta Bowl needs the stadium ahead of time to stage the pre-game party, which attracts 20,000 people, and to accommodate participating teams, game officials, sponsors and the bowl's network partner, who all want access to the stadium the day before the game.

"We dropped the ball on this," said Mark Dalton, the team's spokesman. "We should have known about it, and we didn't. Now, the question is what can we do to make this a workable solution."

OU_Sooners75
4/30/2009, 11:37 PM
Give all fans going to the Fiesta Bowl, along with the teams, and the game officials and sponsors free tickets to the Cardinals game!

Or move the NFL game to Sun Devil Stadium.

sooner59
5/1/2009, 12:35 AM
Screw it. Let's just play for the NCG and let them off the hook. Everyone wins.

OUDoc
5/1/2009, 08:33 AM
The field will be coming up in chunks like the 2001 OB's field did.

jumperstop
5/1/2009, 02:30 PM
This won't effect OU, go post this on the texas board.

Jello Biafra
5/1/2009, 02:59 PM
This won't effect OU, go post this on the *Texas* board.

roflmao....i almost negged the shiite out of you until i read...

"The Fiesta is the destination of the Big 12 champion unless that team is playing in the BCS championship game."

very nice.

sooner94
5/1/2009, 03:17 PM
"Arizona officials admit they failed to file paperwork with the NFL requesting that the Cardinals not be scheduled at home on Jan. 3. The NFL has said it will not change its schedule."

Prediction- an Az Cardinals employee may be looking for a job. Someone should have written that reminder on a post-it or something.

jumperstop
5/1/2009, 04:40 PM
roflmao....i almost negged the shiite out of you until i read...

"The Fiesta is the destination of the Big 12 champion unless that team is playing in the BCS championship game."

very nice.

I'm glad that you read it how I meant it, I don't want to be seen as pro-Texas.

RedstickSooner
5/3/2009, 11:40 AM
The field will be coming up in chunks like the 2001 OB's field did.

They don't use field turf in that stadium? (I refuse to refer to it by its retarded, sponsored name.)

JLEW1818
5/3/2009, 01:06 PM
lol, i've seen some funny posts so far.!

Jacie
5/3/2009, 01:50 PM
Snafu is the appropriate word to describe this.

A lot of people will be pulling an all-nighter to prepare the stadium for games played on consecutive days.

Cleaning crews, which already work throughout the night to put the stadium back in order, will to work around two different television crews trying to rig down and rig up equipment. I don't know that it would help if the network that shows NFL games is the same one televising the Fiesta Bowl, as I suspect the pro and college games are handled by separate crews, each with their own equipment.

As for the party and other events, the Fiesta Bowl people will have to find venues for all of that stuff.

The part of this I don't understand is how the NFL regular season extends into January. I thought they wrapped up in December. Is this the first time they've played regular season games in two different calender years?

After further review, I see they played on January 1, 2006. Usually, they wind things up around December 28-31.

goingoneight
5/3/2009, 03:03 PM
[:stunned:] thatz ok weer gona be n teh MNc game goonrz [/:stunned:]

ouleaf
5/3/2009, 11:42 PM
Give all fans going to the Fiesta Bowl, along with the teams, and the game officials and sponsors free tickets to the Cardinals game!

Or move the NFL game to Sun Devil Stadium.

Move the NFL game? Not very likely.

I do see why the Fiesta Bowl is outraged. It's going to be a logistical nightmare for them now.

OUDoc
5/4/2009, 08:54 AM
They don't use field turf in that stadium? (I refuse to refer to it by its retarded, sponsored name.)

The stadium features the first fully retractable natural grass playing field in North America.

http://www.universityofphoenixstadium.com/index.php?page=stadium_facts&section=statistics

badger
5/4/2009, 09:06 AM
Honestly, I see absolutely nothing wrong with a Packer game being played the day before the Big 12 Champion plays on the same field :D