PDA

View Full Version : Mac People

Frozen Sooner
4/30/2009, 10:46 PM
OK, I finally let the smoke out of the CPU of my last computer and decided to go with a MacBook.

Having fun tooling around with this so far. Any of you who are already of the smug (yeah, I know, now I'll be SUPER smug) want to point me to a good place to read up and learn the system tricks and what software I should be loading on this thing?

Fraggle145
4/30/2009, 11:05 PM
Parallels, YWIA.

Ike
4/30/2009, 11:19 PM
when I did the same thing last year, I just used google...still do.

Sometimes the apple download page has some good stuff...but it's often a little tedious wading through it.

yermom
4/30/2009, 11:20 PM
Parallels, YWIA.

VMWare Fusion ftw

although Sun's VirtualBox is quick, easy and free

i never did it, but VMWare is supposed to be able to run your boot camp Windows install from the other partition

John Kochtoston
5/1/2009, 12:34 AM
Unless there's something you really need, I'd wait 'till you go to school. OU offers some free software and other stuff at a pretty good discount.

I'm also a fan of Keynote over PowerPoint. Keynote is on iWork, which I think comes with the computer. YMMV

EDIT: I know you're not going to OU, but I think the deal is pretty similar at most places. Plus, at 'Bama, it might come with a free national championship.

Fraggle145
5/1/2009, 01:45 AM
VMWare Fusion ftw

although Sun's VirtualBox is quick, easy and free

i never did it, but VMWare is supposed to be able to run your boot camp Windows install from the other partition

Really!? well I get my Mac tomorrow... its a last generation Pro. I might have to stop by...

SoonersEnFuego
5/1/2009, 07:50 AM
Just peruse this site: http://www.silvermac.com/

There are tons of others. Once you start using iMovie or iDVD, there are a ton of cool things you can do.

badger
5/1/2009, 07:52 AM
I'm a PC - a boring middle aged man with glasses in suit that gets told how things are by a 20-something wearing blue :rolleyes:

BornandBred
5/1/2009, 08:21 AM
Linux FTW. Actually, I'm familiar with all the OS's, and I generally stick with Winders. EVERYTHING runs on it, you don't have to think too much, and if I feel like programming anything, I'll just use my dual boot to use CentOS which, in my opinion is a bit better than a mac.

yermom
5/1/2009, 10:41 AM
CentOS seems fine until i want to do something weird

i seem to have trouble convincing things that it is RHEL when they want to compile kernel modules. that and the update lag bothers me a little

for goofing off, i prefer MacOS, especially on a laptop. for work i use Fedora/RHEL, but for my workstation a Mac would be fine, that's what i used at my last job.

i'm just starting to mess with Ubuntu some more. since it's more lightweight and has a smaller footprint my netbook likes it more (MacOS was something of a failed experiment there, even Windows even works out better)

i keep meaning to mess with OpenSolaris more, but RBAC kinda pisses me off and i haven't really picked it up again recently

Turd_Ferguson
5/1/2009, 10:56 AM
bought the wife a macbook for school a few months ago. I can't stand it. I feel like an ol man try'n to navigate his way around a pc for the first time. oh, wait.

soonerboomer93
5/1/2009, 03:18 PM
well, atleast i'm no longer your tech support

ya fuggin hippie

sooner_born_1960
5/1/2009, 04:08 PM
I only use CentOS when I need it to very closely match our production environment, RHEL 4.7. Otherwise, I'm very happy with Fedora.