PDA

View Full Version : Jeff Coffin - Y'all Gotta See This To Believe It

Rogue
4/30/2009, 08:22 PM
:D Y'all know I'm a huge Dave Matthews Band fan. And I get some great live music here in East Tennessee. From Bluegrass to Rock. Well, I got to see DMB live a few times last year with the "new guy" sitting in after LeRoi Moore, God rest his soul, got hurt and then died.

The "new guy" is two-time grammy award winning sax player Jeff Coffin who has played with Bela Fleck and the Flecktones for a long time. I was convinced of his talent early last year and this year it's just blowing me away. He's not the first guy to play with a horn in each hand, but the first I've seen do it live. With one sax he'll rock your ears off. With two it's just unbelievable.:cool: :cool: :cool:

Saw him do this in Charlottesville 2 weeks ago and Nashville last week (the first clip is what I saw, but my seats weren't quite as sweet).

Note to self...next time I meet Tim Reynolds I need to say something less lame than "holy ****, you're Tim Reynolds.":eek:

:hot: :hot: :hot:

Y2Zs7kDwRvo

gLnjWe4V1hA

Rogue
4/30/2009, 08:48 PM
In the first video, as amazing as JC is playing 2 sax's, Rashawn Ross blew it away on the trumpet.

BornandBred
5/1/2009, 08:00 AM
I'm going to see DMB and the Cynthia Wood Mitchell Pavilion in Houston tonight. I'm pretty pumped.
BTW, I ran into Dave at Mardi Gras with his family on his way to the bathroom. I was standing behind him at Bacchus trying to figure out if that was really him when he turned around and nearly ran into me. He was gracious enough to take a picture and was extremely nice. After meeting him I'm actually a bigger fan than I was before. The concert tonight should be sweet.

apusooner
5/1/2009, 10:19 AM
rashawn ross is sloppy. his solos almost never have any substance. he just plays high notes and wiggles his fingers. usually questionable high notes too. when he does play a line it's sloppy. pass.

Rogue
5/1/2009, 09:03 PM
rashawn ross is sloppy. his solos almost never have any substance. he just plays high notes and wiggles his fingers. usually questionable high notes too. when he does play a line it's sloppy. pass.

I see where you're coming from and I had a similar opinion. He's been guilty of overplaying, running o/o breath, and flat doggin' it sometimes. Then I saw the band last year at Cincinnati without a sax player. RR held his own and then some. I have a pretty decent collection of traded live shows for a mildly obsessed fan and that show last year was amazing.

On wdmbradio.com you can request to listen to specific songs, dates, etc. It's a great library. I just tried to request the song #41 from 08.05.08 show at Cincy but it's been played too recently to request again. Check out this show and let me know if your conclusion about Rashawn Ross is still the same.

Crucifax Autumn
5/1/2009, 11:05 PM
The drummer's pretty amazing IMO.

apusooner
5/2/2009, 04:53 AM
I see where you're coming from and I had a similar opinion. He's been guilty of overplaying, running o/o breath, and flat doggin' it sometimes. Then I saw the band last year at Cincinnati without a sax player. RR held his own and then some. I have a pretty decent collection of traded live shows for a mildly obsessed fan and that show last year was amazing.

On wdmbradio.com you can request to listen to specific songs, dates, etc. It's a great library. I just tried to request the song #41 from 08.05.08 show at Cincy but it's been played too recently to request again. Check out this show and let me know if your conclusion about Rashawn Ross is still the same.

Yeah, I just don't like his sound I think. Does he do amazing things? yes. I just find him to be sloppy more often than not. I could be overly critical because i play trumpet too. His sound is too thin for me and his lines come off as squirrelly. I have a cd of him playing with lettuce, and you can hear where alot of his lines have been moved around to fit in the groove. are the lines sick? hell yes. that band is sick as hell. I've seen him live too, playing with soulive i think, but i had just seen roy hargrove play with herbie hancock. kind of hard to follow that.

it's kind of hard to explain, but i like a lot of the things he does, just not enough to seek him out.
there are other players i would rather listen to.

Rogue
5/2/2009, 02:52 PM
I get ya APU, and you express it well. He impressed me at Cincy last year and again in Nashville this year. There've been times that I just think he hits the same high note over and over.

The drummer's pretty amazing IMO.

Yeah, Carter Beauford. He's OK. I guess. If you're into that kind of thing where a drummer just rocks your face off.

Crucifax Autumn
5/2/2009, 09:36 PM
I don't really care so much for his playing in typical songs, but when they go off on a jam or he solos it's not much less amazing than Peart or Portnoy or any other world-class rock drummers.