PDA

View Full Version : Texas postpones HS sports until May 11

JLEW1818
4/29/2009, 12:26 PM
Didnt see this posted. The are not messing with the swine flu.

AUSTIN, Texas -- The swine flu outbreak has brought high school sports in Texas to a temporary halt.

The University Interscholastic League has postponed all high school athletic competition until May 11, the organization said on its Web site.

The move cancels the state's regional track championships -- though the state meet, one of the country's largest, is still on schedule for May 13-14 -- and suspends the high school baseball and softball seasons.

The state tennis and golf tournaments are also on hold until May 11, and interscholastic academic events are also being postponed or canceled.

"The health and safety of our student activity participants is of the utmost importance," the UIL's executive director, Charles Breithaupt, said in a news release announcing the decision. "Taking every possible precaution to prevent the further spreading of this disease is an important contribution to the welfare of our great state, and altering the schedule of our events is a way to keep our participants safe."

http://sports.espn.go.com/highschool/rise/news/story?id=4111237

JLEW1818
4/29/2009, 12:26 PM
Figured I'd post this here, since it's dealing with peoples lives.

tommieharris91
4/29/2009, 12:29 PM
No swine flu in Oklahoma yet. So migrate here and get away from the Messicans. We deport them on sight here in OK.

JLEW1818
4/29/2009, 12:32 PM
No swine flu in Oklahoma yet. So migrate here and get away from the Messicans. We deport them on sight here in OK.

yep. I wonder if other states will follow this? This really sucks if its your senior year, and you play baseball,softball, or track

picasso
4/29/2009, 12:40 PM
safer in Germany where there's only the swinehunt!

BornandBred
4/29/2009, 12:44 PM
a quote with some sense: "Seasonal flu each year causes tens of thousands of deaths in this country -- on average, about 36,000 deaths," Besser said. "And so this flu virus in the United States, as we're looking at it, is not acting very differently from what we saw during the flu season."

it was online somewhere, I don't remember where, but it makes good sense